Wii U Forum

Topic: anyone sticking with wii u for mostly next gen?

Showing 221 to 240 of 266

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DefHalan

221. Posted:

FutureAlphaMale wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

That is kinda the point. Steam Machines are the PC for Console gamers and the Console for PC gamers. Because of Steam Machines I don't have to figure out a way to connect my personal PC from my room to my living room TV, I can get a Steam Machine (which is easier to upgrade than a computer) and access the same games I already own on Steam.

PC gamers don't want/need a console though, as the Steam machine will have the exact same games and experiences that their gaming PC already provides for them. A Steam machine is basically a computer tower thats plugged into a TV. Someone with a gaming PC already knows how to do that, and thus has no interest/need for a Steam machine.

On the other hand, someone who games exclusively on a console and has never made the jump to PC gaming before is unlikely to switch to a Steam machine that is more "complicated", and that lacks many of the exclusives they crave from Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft.

The Steam machines will have a similar fate as the Ouya I believe. They are not necessarily bad products, but they just have no reason to "exist" and there is no market for them.

As someone who recently necame a PC gamer, there is a draw for console gamers. PC actually has the most exclusives while getting plenty of 3rd Party titles and that is what is so great about Steam Machines, they are basically PCs that are easier for people to use and upgrade.

http://dudehugespeaks.tumblr.com/post/44243746261/nickels-dimes-and-quarters
http://www.penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/why-console-specs-dont-matter
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/200271/Video_Don_Daglow_on_nextgen_transition_traps_and_treasures.php

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

AuthorMessage
Avatar

JaxonH

222. Posted:

Tasuki wrote:

JaxonH wrote:

FutureAlphaMale wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

That is kinda the point. Steam Machines are the PC for Console gamers and the Console for PC gamers. Because of Steam Machines I don't have to figure out a way to connect my personal PC from my room to my living room TV, I can get a Steam Machine (which is easier to upgrade than a computer) and access the same games I already own on Steam.

PC gamers don't want/need a console though, as the Steam machine will have the exact same games and experiences that their gaming PC already provides for them. A Steam machine is basically a computer tower thats plugged into a TV. Someone with a gaming PC already knows how to do that, and thus has no interest/need for a Steam machine.

On the other hand, someone who games exclusively on a console and has never made the jump to PC gaming before is unlikely to switch to a Steam machine that is more "complicated", and that lacks many of the exclusives they crave from Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft.

The Steam machines will have a similar fate as the Ouya I believe. They are not necessarily bad products, but they just have no reason to "exist" and there is no market for them.

I'm a console gamer and I'm VERY much interested in the Steam Machine. You wanted to know why a console gamer would choose Steam Machine? Well, allow me to share why I want one. Reason is simple- I don't want to pay for online. Nintendo and PC both have free online, while Sony and MS charge for it. Steam Machines take most of the complexity out of the equation, because the consumer does not need to build a rig. They buy one already manufactured with set standards, just like a console. For all intents and purposes, it IS a console, with upgradeable parts. But just because you CAN upgrade, doesn't mean you HAVE TO. PS4 will maintain it's specs for the following decade. So buying a Steam Machine and leaving it untouched would be no different. It's rather simple actually. Buy Steam Machine. Buy games. Play games. In 5-10 years, buy a new console, OR, pay to upgrade (if you want to and know how). I'm not planning to upgrade though. I'm planning to buy one and treat it just like a console. I'll buy games and play them with a controller. And I'll save $400 in online subscription fees, not to mention I'll have a machine that CAN be upgraded if I ever so desire.

Steam Machines, I believe, are more aimed at console gamers than PC gamers. With that said, I've spoken to quite a few PC gamers that are interested in the $500 model. Apparently they're pretty impressed. But I think you'll find there are quite a few console gamers such as myself, that aren't willing to pay online subscription fees when there's a perfectly good alternative with free online in the same price range.

Again you just described a PC.

And your point is.....???

So what if I described a PC. You're trying to categorize something as "not viable" simply because it's a quote unquote PC. So it's a PC, so what? So it's a console, so what? Point is, it's a VIABLE OPTION TO PLAY THE SAME GAMES, and without the high barrier of entry of traditional PC's. They have the ease of use of a traditional console, and that's what attracts me. That's what will attract others. Being a "PC" or "console" is irrelevant. It's the ease of use that's important.

Now, as for exclusives- yes, I'll ALWAYS have a Nintendo console because of the exclusives, and because I love the unique hardware. But Sony and MS... eh, they don't really have much weight with exclusives over the PC. They have a couple good ones, but nothing like Nintendo, where literally every game on the console is a top-notch exclusive. Most people play Sony/MS for 3rd party games. In fact, that's all anyone talks about anymore it seems. 3rd party multiplats. My top 3 games for buying a PS4 are..... wait for it.....multiplats. So PS4 and Xbox have VERY little advantage over the Steam Machine right now. I'd say the ONLY thing going for them right now is familiarity and a good value for the money. But as far as games go, the advantage just isn't there. If it was, I wouldn't be looking into swapping out the ol' Playstation.

Edited on by JaxonH

CURRENTLY PLAYING
3DS: Persona Q.....Pokemon AS/OR
WII U: Captain Toad.....Smash Bros
VITA: Tales of Hearts R.....Freedom Wars
PS4: Far Cry 4.....Dragon Age Inquisition.....GTAV
X1: Halo Master Chief.....Sunset Overdrive
Wii: Metroid Other M.....Zelda Skyward Sword

Jesus is Lord.

3DS Friend Code: 1160-9763-9374 | Nintendo Network ID: JaxonH

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SofaKing

223. Posted:

Even if the Wii U has a community half the size of the PS4 or Xbone, I'll stick to my Wii U. I do plan on saving up and building a beefy gaming PC however and that will have the Steam on it. I don't need to buy a Steam Machine. They are pretty and a great alternative to the current gen out now but I can't justify that price if I can't custom build and pick what I want inside it. Anyways that's my pick. Now I need to start saving up.... Ugg money....

Nintendo Network ID: Mitsudude

AuthorMessage
Avatar

MikeLove

224. Posted:

JaxonH wrote:

Steam Machines take most of the complexity out of the equation, because the consumer does not need to build a rig. They buy one already manufactured with set standards, just like a console.

You can do the exact same thing with a gaming PC.

JaxonH wrote:

But just because you CAN upgrade, doesn't mean you HAVE TO. PS4 will maintain it's specs for the following decade. So buying a Steam Machine and leaving it untouched would be no different. It's rather simple actually. Buy Steam Machine. Buy games. Play games. In 5-10 years, buy a new console, OR, pay to upgrade (if you want to and know how). I'm not planning to upgrade though.

PS4 games are built around the PS4 hardware, thats why they never change. PC/Steam games are based on ever evolving PC hardware. Have you tried playing Battlefield 4 on 5-10 year old PC? It's not going to happen at all, or it will be severely limited and not run as intended.

JaxonH wrote:

I'm planning to buy one and treat it just like a console. I'll buy games and play them with a controller. And I'll save $400 in online subscription fees, not to mention I'll have a machine that CAN be upgraded if I ever so desire.

That's a PC. You can take your current computer to your local computer shop, give the guy $200, and tell him you want to upgrade it to be able to play current games. Voila. You have your "Steam Machine" and you saved yourself $200-300.

No offense, but it sounds like you haven't really thought this purchase though, and are going to make another impulse buy like you did with your PS4 that you said you regret picking up. These Steam Machines are going to be a massive flop.

MikeLove

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SofaKing

225. Posted:

Who care what you label a gaming device as... Honestly its redundant. They both play games they both provide entertainment. The Steam machine is more console like then an actual PC and Steam has even stated that. Sure it can be upgraded and sure its more along the PC aspect that way but in all honesty, PS4 and XBone could easily have done the same thing. So stating that the only thing that makes a console a console and a PC a PC is the fact that you can upgrade it is like a child saying my cookie is better then your cookie when in fact there both cookies..... If someone has a preference to the steam machine and because its designed to look and feel like a videogame console then they are no t wrong to call it a console. PC be it but a console it still is.

Edited on by SofaKing

Nintendo Network ID: Mitsudude

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Tasuki

226. Posted:

@JaxonH: You are not getting what I am saying. Basically what you are asking for right now is a PC, why wait for this steam machine to come out? Just buy a PC now and hook it up to your TV via an HDMI cable. This is what I dont get about these steam machine. I have had a PC I bought from iBUYPOWER about 4 years ago and have not upgraded since. I never have upgraded my PCs I just buy a new one every 5 years or so and give the old one to a friend of mine who can use the parts for whatever reason. Just cause you have a PC doesn't mean you have to upgrade it.

Push Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

AuthorMessage
Avatar

sub12

227. Posted:

I’m happy with my PS4 right now, no doubt, but I’m not counting out the Steam Machine format as a future competitor / rival to the traditional console market. Although I understand the arguments that PC gamers will be generally uninterested in the format, and that Valve has quite a bit of work to win over the non-PC crowd……………………who knows in three or fours years time, the market is definitely in a transitional phase right now.

But still, with the PS4 and Xbox One selling strongly, I don't see their market evaporating anytime soon.

sub12

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SofaKing

228. Posted:

The steam machines won't do what a PC can btw. The Steam Machine is only a gaming device as it only has Steam OS. It plays only steam downloaded games and it has no softwear to do .txt file, .word file. It can't do excel it can't do office it can't do much of anything other then download and play games... It will most likely play Netflix and Hulu but this is not a computer. Its purely for entertainment. If he wanted a computer then he would no less be looking for a computer. I'm sure he knows that a steam machine is not a computer but can still get the superior game play a PC can dish out. I'm sure he has a perfectly good computer to do what a computer does. This is for gaming. Plain and simple.

Edited on by SofaKing

Nintendo Network ID: Mitsudude

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Jazzer94

229. Posted:

Steam machines are just Valves clever way of being the main company people associate with PC gaming, I really can't see them taking off when the amount being charged for the ones announced so far are ripoffs and especially as long as their only able to play a fraction of the games available on steam.

PSN: mangaJman
SSBB FC: 1204-1132-2888
The Jazzloggery
Once you see you can never unsee Everyone's favorite videogame character
I keep getting this feeling that I should write something down here........................

3DS Friend Code: 5155-3100-6367 | Nintendo Network ID: Justinius94

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Tasuki

230. Posted:

SofaKing wrote:

The steam machines won't do what a PC can btw. The Steam Machine is only a gaming device as it only has Steam OS. It plays only steam downloaded games and it has no softwear to do .txt file, .word file. It can't do excel it can't do office it can't do much of anything other then download and play games... It will most likely play Netflix and Hulu but this is not a computer. Its purely for entertainment. If he wanted a computer then he would no less be looking for a computer. I'm sure he knows that a steam machine is not a computer but can still get the superior game play a PC can dish out. I'm sure he has a perfectly good computer to do what a computer does. This is for gaming. Plain and simple.

My point is that why wait for a stem machine when a PC can do that right now. Right now you can log onto Steam with a PC play those games and such. Just cause you have that other stuff doesn't mean you have to use it. I don't understand why people are waiting for this steam machine when we basically have them now? Are people that blinded by labels?

Push Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

231. Posted:

I gotta agree with @Tasuki here. Steam machines are basically PCs that are über built. Unless you like Linux, you're getting the same thing from a Windows PC.

Steam OS isn't limited to Steam Box, afterall.

Edited on by SCAR392

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

sub12

232. Posted:

Well, isn't the point, and really the "only" point,..........being able to more or less quasi-PC game on your 42in HDTV or whatever. How much of the PC and console crowd will take an interest, who knows. Looks like the prices go all the way from 500 dollars on the low end to about 1700 dollars for a high-end machine.

sub12

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Banker-Style

233. Posted:

Yep, I'm a Nintendo gamer after all, though a PS4 is tempting.

Nintendo Network ID: Da-Banker
3DS XL FC:3265-6271-5244
In 3000 years time,people will remember the name,Da-Banker,for being such a [Censored]

Nintendo Network ID: Da-Banker

AuthorMessage
Avatar

JaxonH

234. Posted:

Tasuki wrote:

@JaxonH: You are not getting what I am saying. Basically what you are asking for right now is a PC, why wait for this steam machine to come out? Just buy a PC now and hook it up to your TV via an HDMI cable. This is what I dont get about these steam machine. I have had a PC I bought from iBUYPOWER about 4 years ago and have not upgraded since. I never have upgraded my PCs I just buy a new one every 5 years or so and give the old one to a friend of mine who can use the parts for whatever reason. Just cause you have a PC doesn't mean you have to upgrade it.

No, I totally get what you're saying. But I don't want to go buy a PC. I want a Steam Machine. I don't want to build a PC, I want one already built. Sure, I could buy a PC already built, but not built for gaming. Unless I bought one of those real expensive gaming rigs. Point is, Steam Machine is built for the living room. That's what they're marketing this as. It comes with a controller. It comes with a gaming OS. It comes at a console price point. That's what I want.

CURRENTLY PLAYING
3DS: Persona Q.....Pokemon AS/OR
WII U: Captain Toad.....Smash Bros
VITA: Tales of Hearts R.....Freedom Wars
PS4: Far Cry 4.....Dragon Age Inquisition.....GTAV
X1: Halo Master Chief.....Sunset Overdrive
Wii: Metroid Other M.....Zelda Skyward Sword

Jesus is Lord.

3DS Friend Code: 1160-9763-9374 | Nintendo Network ID: JaxonH

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Tasuki

235. Posted:

@JaxonH: Actually you can get a good gameing PC from iBUYPOWER for about $600 and that's before sale prices are factored in. Not sure where you are getting that you have to spend oddles of cash to get a decent gaming PC. Steam Machine for their price will probably be comparable to the low end gaming PC. If you think that a steam machine that will be comparable to the high end gaming PC but with the price of say a PS4 or Xbox One well you are dreaming. I understand what you want thing is you can get that now with a PC. :) Steam Machine is just a PC that is labeled as a console to confuse console games and to be marketed to console gamers thats all.

Push Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

AuthorMessage
Avatar

JaxonH

236. Posted:

Tasuki wrote:

@JaxonH: Actually you can get a good gameing PC from iBUYPOWER for about $600 and that's before sale prices are factored in. Not sure where you are getting that you have to spend oddles of cash to get a decent gaming PC. Steam Machine for their price will probably be comparable to the low end gaming PC. If you think that a steam machine that will be comparable to the high end gaming PC but with the price of say a PS4 or Xbox One well you are
dreaming. I understand what you want thing is you can get that now with a PC. :) Steam Machine is just a PC that is labeled as a console to confuse console games and to be marketed to console gamers thats all.

I don't know how many times I can say this, but I'm not interested in a normal PC for gaming. I'm interested in a Steam Machine that is designed for console like use, that has a standard controller and a gaming OS. And from what I've read, yes, the low ends models are in fact comparable to PS4 and Xbox 1. I'm not a graphics crazy I play Nintendo. I'm not gna squabble over a slightly less powerful GPU... The noticeable result will be extremely close. Hell, even the Wii U comes pretty close to X1/PS4 if you look at games like Project Cars or CoD Ghosts. So I'm confident in the abilities of the low end Steam Machine, which is far superior to Wii U

Edited on by WaLzgi

CURRENTLY PLAYING
3DS: Persona Q.....Pokemon AS/OR
WII U: Captain Toad.....Smash Bros
VITA: Tales of Hearts R.....Freedom Wars
PS4: Far Cry 4.....Dragon Age Inquisition.....GTAV
X1: Halo Master Chief.....Sunset Overdrive
Wii: Metroid Other M.....Zelda Skyward Sword

Jesus is Lord.

3DS Friend Code: 1160-9763-9374 | Nintendo Network ID: JaxonH

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

237. Posted:

JaxonH wrote:

I'm not a graphics whore I play Nintendo. So I'm confident in the abilities of the low end Steam Machine, which is far superior to Wii U

No offense, but you just lost all relevance in this discussion with those 2 sentences.

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

TheLilK98

238. Posted:

JaxonH wrote:

Tasuki wrote:

@JaxonH: Actually you can get a good gameing PC from iBUYPOWER for about $600 and that's before sale prices are factored in. Not sure where you are getting that you have to spend oddles of cash to get a decent gaming PC. Steam Machine for their price will probably be comparable to the low end gaming PC. If you think that a steam machine that will be comparable to the high end gaming PC but with the price of say a PS4 or Xbox One well you are
dreaming. I understand what you want thing is you can get that now with a PC. :) Steam Machine is just a PC that is labeled as a console to confuse console games and to be marketed to console gamers thats all.

I don't know how many times I can say this, but I'm not interested in a normal PC for gaming. I'm interested in a Steam Machine that is designed for console like use, that has a standard controller and a gaming OS. And from what I've read, yes, the low ends models are in fact comparable to PS4 and Xbox 1. I'm not a graphics crazy I play Nintendo. I'm not gna squabble over a slightly less powerful GPU... The noticeable result will be extremely close. Hell, even the Wii U comes pretty close to X1/PS4 if you look at games like Project Cars or CoD Ghosts. So I'm confident in the abilities of the low end Steam Machine, which is far superior to Wii U

Jeez, calm down. They were just trying to say you're wasting your money. If you weren't so dead-set on STEAMBOX! STEAMBOX! OMG STEAMBOX! you'd realize that you can just buy a pc like they said for less and Windows 7 which is a decent gaming OS. Not to mention you could just use a Wii U pro controller or any other of your choosing on it anyway. Virtually every PC these days has an HDMI port, so you can just hook it up to your tv. But hell what do I care? waste your money then.

My intro by Dark-Luigi
My Backloggery

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4665-8309 | Nintendo Network ID: TheLilK98 | Twitter: TheKman98

AuthorMessage
Avatar

JaxonH

239. Posted:

TheLilK98 wrote:

JaxonH wrote:

Tasuki wrote:

@JaxonH: Actually you can get a good gameing PC from iBUYPOWER for about $600 and that's before sale prices are factored in. Not sure where you are getting that you have to spend oddles of cash to get a decent gaming PC. Steam Machine for their price will probably be comparable to the low end gaming PC. If you think that a steam machine that will be comparable to the high end gaming PC but with the price of say a PS4 or Xbox One well you are
dreaming. I understand what you want thing is you can get that now with a PC. :) Steam Machine is just a PC that is labeled as a console to confuse console games and to be marketed to console gamers thats all.

I don't know how many times I can say this, but I'm not interested in a normal PC for gaming. I'm interested in a Steam Machine that is designed for console like use, that has a standard controller and a gaming OS. And from what I've read, yes, the low ends models are in fact comparable to PS4 and Xbox 1. I'm not a graphics crazy I play Nintendo. I'm not gna squabble over a slightly less powerful GPU... The noticeable result will be extremely close. Hell, even the Wii U comes pretty close to X1/PS4 if you look at games like Project Cars or CoD Ghosts. So I'm confident in the abilities of the low end Steam Machine, which is far superior to Wii U

Jeez, calm down. They were just trying to say you're wasting your money. If you weren't so dead-set on STEAMBOX! STEAMBOX! OMG STEAMBOX! you'd realize that you can just buy a pc like they said for less and Windows 7 which is a decent gaming OS. Not to mention you could just use a Wii U pro controller or any other of your choosing on it anyway. Virtually every PC these days has an HDMI port, so you can just hook it up to your tv. But hell what do I care? waste your money then.

I don't recall asking your opinion on what I should do with my own money. That goes for everyone who's getting UPSET over what I am interested in. And the way I see it, the only people who are "dead set" on anything here are all the people DETERMINED to tell me what I shouldn't like and what I should like. It's just WHAT I WANT TO DO. Like if you decide you want a PS4, that's what YOU WANT TO DO. Or if you want a Wii U. That's what YOU WANT TO DO. I've got a whole slew of comments on here trying to ARGUE with me, telling me why I shouldn't want what I want. How are you gonna tell me I shouldn't want a Steambox? Who are you to tell me I'm wasting my money? Seriously? Who are YOU man?

Edited on by theblackdragon

CURRENTLY PLAYING
3DS: Persona Q.....Pokemon AS/OR
WII U: Captain Toad.....Smash Bros
VITA: Tales of Hearts R.....Freedom Wars
PS4: Far Cry 4.....Dragon Age Inquisition.....GTAV
X1: Halo Master Chief.....Sunset Overdrive
Wii: Metroid Other M.....Zelda Skyward Sword

Jesus is Lord.

3DS Friend Code: 1160-9763-9374 | Nintendo Network ID: JaxonH

AuthorMessage
Avatar

8BitSamurai

240. Posted:

@JaxonH

And the low end Steam Machine models (Which cost as much as the Xone minimum, and more than the PS4), are not near as powerful as either of them. Not to mention, they're going to be running Linux, so the library will be exceedingly poor (Unless you want to shell out more money for Windows) for a while. Not to forget, the parts will quickly become outdated and will require more money for upgrades.
If you want a standard controller for PC gaming, just use an Xbox controller. Heck, I use a DualShock 3 and it's worked with every game I have, Steam and otherwise. The steam controller is shaping up to be fairly spotty, and you'll probably want an Xbox controller anyways (Yet more to the $500).
That's not even including a disc drive if you want to watch blu-rays, DVD's, etc.

I really am not sure if you know what you're getting into, honestly.

Edited on by 8BitSamurai

Currently retired indefinitely
Official "rare download" Assistant
Best YT show here!
Beat: Final Fight, Spec Ops TL, King of Dragons
Favorite games: Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VII, Symphony of the Night, Dragon Quest VIII, Tales of the Abyss

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6175-1689 | Nintendo Network ID: 8BitSamurai | Twitter: PrinnySamurai