Forums

Topic: Anyone else angry about the Wii U?

Posts 241 to 260 of 277

LordChimpington

I understand why you might be confuzed or mad because they only talked about the controller and they didn't say a lot. However you have to remember they aren't gonna realease this for awhile. Also remember with the 3ds they didn't say a ton of stuff at e3. They couldn't even show us the 3d. They said a lot of the details at that conference thing in spetember and that was a few months before it was gonna be realeased. All I am saying is don't judge it until you play it and get more details on it.

LordChimpington

erv

True, there's more than point style games that can take advantage of the great wiimote setup. There's also well implemented shake and waggle, point taken. Crap WaveBoy, I'm telling you you're right and I'm wrong.

But there's a lot of stuff badly implemented as well, which was something I was referring to in terms of time passing by while developers forget to make things right.

But it does look like I'd be way more happy with just a wii very much HD++ (zOmg M0r3 POWER than ps3 250%!!#!) if it was just for preserving those excellent gameplay capabilities. This feels like a shoddy stickem' all together right now. If there's one or two shooters that say "awesome power, let's get that wiimote setup some justice" there's at least some consolidation.

But that wiimote setup is still very much superior in other high quality games as well. Couldn't they just build upon that one instead, I wonder... Are me and waveboy the only ones on the fence about this?

Switch code: SW-0397-5211-6428
PlayStation: genetic-eternal

Nintendo Network ID: genet1c

Mandoble

I'm yet to see for any console a better controller than a 4 button mouse. A nunchuck for the left hand, a mouse-like device full of buttons for the right, and you will have the best for any kind of game.

Mandoble

erv

Mandoble wrote:

I'm yet to see for any console a better controller than a 4 button mouse. A nunchuck for the left hand, a mouse-like device full of buttons for the right, and you will have the best for any kind of game.

Ah, disagreed. I've been a semi-professional half-life player (was in world top20 for a number of years) on pc, using my incredible keyboard and mouse setup on pc. The wiimote setup, to this day, is the best I've played. So nope, not convinced, sorry !

Arkaein

Everyone who is worried about losing pointer-style controls needs to relax a bit. In addition to the Wii remote being likely supported by any FPS or other game requiring aiming, you can do pointer and aiming controls using the gyroscope in the Wii U controller. In the developer roundtable during E3 Ubisoft indicated that the aiming in Killer Freaks from Outer Space using the circle pads for movement and the gyro for aiming.

The 3DS has games using gyros for aiming, and Skyward Sword will use the Motion Plus gyro for aiming instead of the pointer. The Wii U controller won't support many Wii Remote or Nunchuck style gestures, however it will support many of the best aspects off these controllers.

Arkaein

Wheels2050

At this stage, I can't see myself getting a Wii U. The Wii was always meant to be my only foray into console gaming (I've since grabbed a DS as well) but I did start getting a little excited about the Wii U leading up to E3. Since E3, not so much.

The console itself I'm on the fence about, as it will be interesting to see what developers do with it. I think what put me off was, funnily enough, E3 announcements about the Wii (or, rather, the lack of).

I've got a large library of games for the Wii that I still need to play, and there's certainly some great experiences to be found in its back catalogue. What put me off though is the apparent complete disregard for anything Wii related outside of Zelda. I'm more than happy to hand over money for good games, but it doesn't look as though I'll get much opportunity to do so over the next year or so. A release schedule with a handful of high-profile games just isn't good enough. Sure, I'm looking forward to Skyward Sword (and Xenoblade, being a PAL gamer) but come on - I want to have to choose which high-quality game I'm going to buy, not whether or not I'll buy the only game on the market.

I don't want it to happen again, and so I've held off a 3DS until I see what happens with that, and I'll certainly do so for the Wii U. When there's such a long time to go until the next console is released, owners shouldn't be worried about a lack of games for the current one.

I used to have a blog link here. I'll put it back up when the blog has something to read.

Arkaein

WaveBoy wrote:

Arkaein wrote:

Everyone who is worried about losing pointer-style controls needs to relax a bit. In addition to the Wii remote being likely supported by any FPS or other game requiring aiming, you can do pointer and aiming controls using the gyroscope in the Wii U controller. In the developer roundtable during E3 Ubisoft indicated that the aiming in Killer Freaks from Outer Space using the circle pads for movement and the gyro for aiming.

The 3DS has games using gyros for aiming, and Skyward Sword will use the Motion Plus gyro for aiming instead of the pointer. The Wii U controller won't support many Wii Remote or Nunchuck style gestures, however it will support many of the best aspects off these controllers.

The thing is, in what way does that massive square of a Wii U controller replicate the feeling of holding a gun? You're tellig me I have to use both hands while controlling a characters handgun on screen? Or using that massive square with two hands to replicate and mimick Links Sword?lol how hilarious, horrible and akward feeling that would be....

The Wii remote however can replicate a hand gun, a sword, a bamboo stick, a light saber, a fishing rod, samsus's arm cannon, a flash light and so many other things ect ect ect. Hell, it can even mimick an ice cream cone.lol

The Wii U controller on the other hand....What does it mimmick? a christmas present? it's a giant square and it's going to royally suck with it's gyro aiming controls for first and 3rd person titles compared to the wii remote. You can break apart your hands, your teathered down to a massive square pad....Makes it completely limmitinig as far as mimicking, replication AND feeling of a videogame characters arm/weapon.

First of all, you seem to be ignoring the part of my post where I remind everyone that the Wii Remote isn't going away. This is critical, and any future first person metroid-like games are most likely going to support the Wii Remote in addition to the Wii U controller.

Second, I agree with you that the Wii U controller will not be as immersive as a Wii Remote for aiming. However, it will be just as accurate (the Wii Remote won't put the crosshairs exactly where you point unless the game supports a calibration process like Twilight Princess, but fortunately this doesn't really matter), with the added bonus that pointing off-screen will be tracker accurately with a gyro. Gyro aiming is proven. Wii Sports Resort uses it, Skyward Sword uses it, any game using Playstation Move for aiming will use it. It will provide a great alternative to the Wii Remote.

Third, for many people the added controller features are more important that the sense of immersion. I enjoy the immersion of aiming a Wii Remote and swinging a Motion Plus sword, but I'm also looking forward to games with full compliments of buttons and analog controls. The Wii only supported one style well, but the Wii U will support both styles by having two different standard controllers.

I just hope that all developers implement good versions of both controls for shooter style games, and that the difficulty is not reduced to accommodate dual analog players.

Arkaein

Terave

I'm not angry but dissapointed. I don't like the Wii U till I know more about it. Why can't we just go back to the controller? I love the buttons! Why does everything needs to be more futuristisc? Why is old-fashioned not good enough?

Changed name: Old name was JDT!
Ponies will take over the world. Just deal with it.
3DS FC: 1375-7189-4496

CanisWolfred

JDT wrote:

Why is old-fashioned not good enough?

Because it won't wow Non-gamers and tech-heads. Then again, it's that kind of thinking that explains why I intend to skip the next generation, portables aside.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Link977

don't know if I've posted already but, I ain't... why?

1. Dont have to buy a bunch of new accesories and everything; Uses the Wii's controllers
2. HD
3. More of the M games
4. From what was said the controller is really comftorble (idk how to spell that)

Formerly PurpleLink, RedLink & OrdonianLink
Getting a Gold Mushroom on Rainbow Road is just asking to lose!
Backloggery
Question of the Day

3DS Friend Code: 5412-9901-0836 | Nintendo Network ID: Link977

lockelocke

I'm reading a lot of speculation/complaints about the controller from people who have only seen pictures. I went to E3 and played the console and can attest that the controller is (I was shocked, too!) actually very comfortable, and it works fine as a traditional controller for the FPS and 3rd person action games, which I experienced by playing the Ghost Recon demo. Don't despair people!

i_am_error
3DS FC: 5198 - 2459 - 3589
backlockelockery

SKTTR

JDT wrote:

I'm not angry but dissapointed. I don't like the Wii U till I know more about it. Why can't we just go back to the controller? I love the buttons! Why does everything needs to be more futuristisc? Why is old-fashioned not good enough?

Old-fashioned doesn't fancy games like Mario Paint, Nintendogs, or the Tekken/Animal Crossing/Smash Bros editors.
Touchscreen is a must for editing and interacting with your game world in a simple and easy and absolute precise way.
Videochat is a must for online games. (Stafox 64 3D's online demonstration is amazing!!!)
And all the motion sensors and gyroscope stuff is a must for new innovative game experiences.

I know you have this all on your 3DS, but that's a handheld.
We want the same fun in HD home consoles too.
I'll be a launch day Wii U owner for sure. Can't wait to play full fledged HD Zelda in bed and on toilet.

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

erv

I just read ngamer's preview of the wiiU. They do a far, far better job at explaining its concept to me. Consider me very, very excited now.

And the one room thing? I think it is just to ensure people don't expect it to work from huge distances away, to make it clear that this is not a handheld portable. If it is only barely as powerful as 1 room distance transmission, I am sure it would have waaaay too much connection issues

pntjr

Yes, as the only titles that are decent is Rayman Legends, NSMBU, Pikmin 3, and ZombiU.

3DS: 4596-9579-9606
The BackLoggery of Zelda!
Wii: 5236-6857-3124-9818
PSN: pntjr

3DS Friend Code: 4596-9579-9606 | Nintendo Network ID: pntjrx | Twitter:

grumblebuzzz

pntjr wrote:

Yes, as the only titles that are decent is Rayman Legends, NSMBU, Pikmin 3, and ZombiU.

NSMBU looks cool too, but yeah, there's not much else there.

When I close my eyes, I see pixilated blood.

mamp

I'm not so mad at the Wii U as I am at Nintendo. I think the Wii U has potential it's just that they did a really bad job at showing that potential. Basically Nintendo's conference was "hey let's squeeze in as many games as possible before our time runs out." Which ok I saw all 23 games but what sets them apart (considering a lot of them were ports) or how does the Wii U give me a new experience? Nintendo basically did not have time to answer these 2 questions which I think were the 2 main important questions they should have answered in the first place.
Me: Yay Mass Effect is awesome please tell me more how it will be better on the Wii U and what we can expect from EA?
Nintendo: Sorry we have to move on to our next game before we run out of time.
Me: well tell me about this other game then.
Nintendo: Sorry no time.
Me: Decides to just sit there and watch trailers being played one after the other and getting little to no information on them, all I know is that Wii U finally has HD and a controller with a screen on it and better online (which 360 and PS3 have always had). Also knowing the average person that doesn't follow Nintendo like I do, they probably know even less.

Edited on by mamp

The cat's the only cat who knows where it's at.
NNID: Muffin-Gun

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6586-7657

GamecubeMan

Seems like to me that someone JUST bought a Wii and their mad because the next generation is on its way

Edited on by GamecubeMan

GCN 3.9
Gamecubeloggery
Forget the Nintendo seal of approval
My

3DS Friend Code: 1934-1104-3407 | Twitter:

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.