Forums

Topic: Anyone else angry about the Wii U?

Posts 161 to 180 of 277

Slapshot

Don't get me wrong guys, I'm not trying to be pessimistic about the Wii U at all. Anyone that knows me personally will tell you, I see things for what they are, and I deal in realism. I want Nintendo to regain their core fan-base, and regain their massive third-party support, but I don't see Wii U pulling this off. I think that the Wii U could very well end up pulling off some very innovative gaming possibilities, and recapture the casual niche market once again - like they did with Wii, but in this day and age of High Definition graphics and gaming pushing the boundaries in technology, Nintendo - the family gaming system - can't compete with that. The systems just cost too much to build.

Nintendo doesn't need it either. I would much rather see this Wii U system drop down to 720 graphics and reduce the screen size and make it more affordable. Then push the innovation further and not worry about third party support. The only games I own for Wii are 1st/2nd party games, and 3rd party games that utilize the Wii in ways that other system can't.

Nobody can create the Nintendo 'magic' that is found seeping through their titles!

Edited on by Slapshot

3DS FC: 4382-2029-8015
All my News and Reviews in One convenient place!

My Nintendo: Slapshot82 | Nintendo Network ID: Slapshot82 | Twitter:

Bankai

I disagree. The Wii U has no chance to getting the casual market. The reason the Wii did was it was the only one after that market. The Wii launched before the iPhone was big, in other words. Casuals are not going to go out an buy this when they've got an iPad or an iPhone already.

And, as I've been saying all along, Nintendo's stuff refuses to move with the market. It's not a multifunction device (which is what the market wants), there's no focus on online services (what the market wants), and both the games and the console will be premium priced (where the market is heading towards cheap and micro transactions).

Nintendo really needs to get acquired to get that broader view of the market it really, really needs.

Edited on by Bankai

LzWinky

WaltzElf wrote:

I disagree. The Wii U has no chance to getting the casual market. The reason the Wii did was it was the only one after that market. The Wii launched before the iPhone was big, in other words. Casuals are not going to go out an buy this when they've got an iPad or an iPhone already.

And, as I've been saying all along, Nintendo's stuff refuses to move with the market. It's not a multifunction device (which is what the market wants), there's no focus on online services (what the market wants), and both the games and the console will be premium priced (where the market is heading towards cheap and micro transactions).

Nintendo really needs to get acquired to get that broader view of the market it really, really needs.

And you know all of this how?

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

skywake

@WaltzElf Does the Wii U really need to capture the "casual" market? What's stopping the "casual" gamers from staying with the Wii for a while? What's stopping new "casual gamers" from picking up a Wii?

Surely the Wii U is a more appetizing upgrade path for the "casual" Wii gamers who are looking for a HD upgrade path. These people have already been looking at the Kinect but, if the price is good, the Wii U is a much better deal. They already own the controllers and they already own games for it. Are these things not important when upgrading a system?

As for being a multi-function online enabled device. What more does it need to do? It has video chat, it seems to support online video services and it's online friends system, so far, seems like it's equal to the 360 and PS3 systems. Does it need to playback Blu-Ray for us to call it a multi-functional device? Maybe it needs to playback media of a HDD or stream it from my computer........ I don't know about you but I already have a Blu-Ray player. I have a TV, Blu-Ray Player and a dedicated device that plays back media off a HDD. I'm sure soon most people will have all this AND be able to stream media across their network to every device that they own. Why does EVERYTHING need to be multi-function?

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

komicturtle

Eh, I don't think the WiiU will be on par with 360 because it contridicts the facts we (kinda) know about it. Nintendo's smart enough to not do what they did last time with Wii in terms of power- though, the reason they did it was because HD was at it's infancy in terms of being in domestic homes. It's been confirmed that WiiU is indeed stronger than 360/PS3 and the garden demo, even with it being made with early dev kits, shows that this system is strong from the get go and back in 2005, the tech demos shown for those two systems weren't as good as that garden demo. Remember 360 games? The early ones? How the difference between Xbox and 360 titles weren't all that much different? Or at least, the jump didn't look THAT huge.

Things can change from now until the console releases next year. Even the developers behind Alien vs Predator aren't sure of the final system specs because Nintendo has yet to have everything set in stone. I honestly don't think the system will just be on par with 360- but will be significantly stronger. It's far too early to judge since, again, nothing's set in stone. In regard to what you were talking about in terms of Wii U competing with the pads and possibly Vita- that's fairly interesting. But again, it's really too early to tell.

Edited on by komicturtle

komicturtle

Aviator

WaltzElf wrote:

Casuals are not going to go out an buy this when they've got an iPad or an iPhone already.

I disagree. Yes, lets not buy the Wii U, cause they don't want us casual gamers and pay $700+ on a tablet that has about 10 appealing applications!

Then I can just walk around on the street, flashing my iPad to show that I'm a casual gamer, and I don't care for Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo's attempts to make me one.

QUEEN OF SASS

It's like, I just love a cowboy
You know
I'm just like, I just, I know, it's bad
But I'm just like
Can I just like, hang off the back of your horse
And can you go a little faster?!

skywake

@komicturtle92 was that at me? No, I was talking about the online features. Friends lists and so on not the power of the console. The Wii U is definitely more powerful than the 360 and it's online features, from what we know so far, seem to equal it.

komicturtle

@skywake

Haha, no, it was at Slapshot and his interesting theories.

I think people are really jumping the gun too quickly. If Nintendo in general keeps their mind in "We don't really care what others are doing- we are worried about how we're doing" approach, then they may not have to worry too much about anything. It's not to say there are raising concerns and they should indeed mind that.

People are already saying "Forget Wii U, I'll get a Vita and it'll do the same thing", which is incorrect (or at least partially, in a sense), because developers making games for WiiU will fully take advantage of the controller. Unless, they don't want to for some reason.

I look at it this way:

Folks who buy WiiU will have 100% access to the concept of the WiiU tablet and the TV/Console where games utilize both screens

Folks who buy a PS3- won't have that same 100% access to a Vita unless they spend the $250-300 on it.

Developers won't be focused on making games that use both the PS3 and Vita at the same time- where with WiiU, they will. Yeah, we may see fun Vita to PS3 games but the amount of games won't be as much as Wii U titles- reason being because people who have WiiU have 100% access to the TV-Tablet combo.

In terms of pricing of Wii U, I'm going to guess and say $350-450.

As for the 720 and PS4, the WiiU will obviously be less powerful than those systems, but we can compare this with the PS2 to Xbox situation. Of course, it's a simple prediction on what little we know about the system. But AMD and IBM sharing and hinting some specs show that the WiiU is far more capable of 360/PS3.

komicturtle

k8sMum

a real concern i have is the fact that nintendo has never done online well.

Switch friend code: SW-2516-0773-8992
Dream Addy: DA-3238-0526-8917

Slapshot

@Waltz I meant that in reference to if Nintendo downgraded it to a cheaper version of what it is now, and used the Pad, touchscreen,TV and Wiimotes all in tandem. There could potentially be some creative thing come from that.

@Izbirdboy Because Waltz actually works in the electronics industry and know more about it than most anyone here.

@komicturtle92 According to the Market Analysts that deal with the actual Nintendo investors, the rumours about the WiiU having more power than the 360/PS3 are untrue. The bird demo was indeed impressive, but nothing that the PS3/360 couldn't handle. What one guy said at E3 isn't confirmation, because we are learning that most everything we saw at E3 with gameplay footage on this system was rubbish.

komicturtle

Keep in mind, Slapshot, Reggie has said before the demo that it was made with early development kits. And gameplay footage on this system? You do know that Reggie confirmed that the footage shown was from 360/PS3?

The only legitimate footage would have to be Ghost Recon Online, really. The other software were demonstrations.

I guess we'll have to wait a little longer for solid details.

Either way, Smash Bros. on this console (and 3DS) is enough to get me to run out and get it day one. I care more about that than anything else since Smash Bros. is important to me.

Edited on by komicturtle

komicturtle

IAmNotWill

komicturtle92 wrote:

Keep in mind, Slapshot, Reggie has said before the demo that it was made with early development kits. And gameplay footage on this system? You do know that Reggie confirmed that the footage shown was from 360/PS3?

The only legitimate footage would have to be Ghost Recon Online, really. The other software were demonstrations.

I guess we'll have to wait a little longer for solid details.

Either way, Smash Bros. on this console (and 3DS) is enough to get me to run out and get it day one. I care more about that than anything else since Smash Bros. is important to me.

I agree with this. The new console won't launch for another year, and so many complaints and reasons it won't sell are popping up on this topic. Most of you are probably gonna buy the thing and enjoy it anyway.

Why can't Metroid crawl?
My Backloggery | Helpful Tips for Formatting Messages | NintendoLife Chat

3DS Friend Code: 0001-3392-4205 | Nintendo Network ID: willfuture

skywake

@Slapshot I don't care who Waltz is, he's an idiot if he thinks people buying iPads, the Wii U not being a multifunction device (who cares?), that it's online features are sub-par (despite us being told the opposite from Ubisoft) mean that the Wii U will be a failure.

Slapshot

komicturtle92 wrote:

Folks who buy WiiU will have 100% access to the concept of the WiiU tablet and the TV/Console where games utilize both screens.

Indeed, and this is the selling point of the system.

komicturtle92 wrote:

Developers won't be focused on making games that use both the PS3 and Vita at the same time- where with WiiU, they will. Yeah, we may see fun Vita to PS3 games but the amount of games won't be as much as Wii U titles- reason being because people who have WiiU have 100% access to the TV-Tablet combo.

Yes they will. Most gamers who will buy a Vita already own a PS3. This is a feature that you will see explode with Vita. Don't make the mistake and disregard Vita, the handheld is extremely powerful,and the online integration between handheld and console is already gaining massive momentum, and were 6 months from its release.

komicturtle92 wrote:

In terms of pricing of Wii U, I'm going to guess and say $350-450.

My thought exactly, and it's too high of a price!

komicturtle92 wrote:

As for the 720 and PS4, the WiiU will obviously be less powerful than those systems.

I expect these systems to cost in the range of $600-$1999 USD.

Edited on by Slapshot

Slapshot

Haha, 3DS is the bomb!!! I can live with my 3DS as my Nintendo console for the next 5 years happily!

I'm off to bed guys, Later. Do remember, I'm just making conversation and speculations. I really hope the Wii U takes off like the Wii did, but investors are really nervous. I found out tonight - while reserving my Vita - that Nintendo stock has now fallen to 11% down.

Edited on by Slapshot

skywake

Slapshot wrote:

komicturtle92 wrote:

As for the 720 and PS4, the WiiU will obviously be less powerful than those systems.

I expect these systems to cost in the range of $600-$1999 USD.

......................... at which point the Wii U wins

Slapshot

@skywake Haha, maybe! I don't see winners and losers. I see system and games, and they all deliver fantastic unique titles that make owning them all worth the money. Early adopters into the next gen HD/UHD systems will be for the fanatics only. Like the PS3, most will adopt the system when the price comes down.

skywake

What I meant was they'd struggle to sell many 720/PS4s at $600-1999 (USD?). That's the price range for laptops and TVs not consoles. $600 gets you are fairly decent PC, $1999 is overkill by a mile. A 55" LED backlit 3D LCD with "smart TV" from Samsung costs $2370AUD, a 32" LED backlit LCD costs $690AU.

I really, really, really don't see the 720/PS4 going for that price and being successful. If that is what they do then the Wii U will be as big as the Wii was. I don't think that'll be what they'll do. I'm almost certain that they'll wait this one out for a few years and launch their next console in the $400-700 price range.

k8sMum

Slapshot wrote:

@skywake Haha, maybe! I don't see winners and losers. I see system and games, and they all deliver fantastic unique titles that make owning them all worth the money. Early adopters into the next gen HD/UHD systems will be for the fanatics only. Like the PS3, most will adopt the system when the price comes down.

and that is why i read your posts with interest and value your opinions, slapshot: you don't see winners and losers, but equate the different systems honestly without bias.

Switch friend code: SW-2516-0773-8992
Dream Addy: DA-3238-0526-8917

yoyogamer

Why does everyone call the controller a tablet? It's a classic controller Pro with a camera, IR sensor, Gyroscope, Rumble, and touch screen that uses a stylus. And it streams images from the TV created by a video game console. A tablet is a several hundred dollar touchscreen-only multi-use computer. It's just silly to say the two are in direct competition.

This is a signature.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.