Forums

Topic: Anyone else angry about the Wii U?

Posts 121 to 140 of 277

V8_Ninja

Here's something to ponder.

I'm hopeful that this means that the Wii U will be marketed at a low price. While I love Nintendo, I can't lie that I love a good price a bit more.

Thanks given to Xkhaoz for that one avatar.
Please contact me before using my custom avatar!
A (Former) Reviewer for Digitally Downloaded.net
My Backloggery: http://backloggery.com/v8_ninja

Adam

I do not get angry over inanimate objects with which I am not required to interact. Thank you for starting this thread so I would have a place to share my feelings.

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

Amorous_Badger

V8_Ninja wrote:

I'm hopeful that this means that the Wii U will be marketed at a low price. While I love Nintendo, I can't lie that I love a good price a bit more.

I suspect that shares have dropped off a bit as people hold off buying a Wii in anticipation of a newer, shinier console that does all a Wii does, plus a bit more.

Monster Hunter Tri.
EU
Badger SKR6R7

k8sMum

Amorous_Badger wrote:

V8_Ninja wrote:

I suspect that shares have dropped off a bit as people hold off buying a Wii in anticipation of a newer, shinier console that does all a Wii does, plus a bit more.

i not really sure that's how the market mentality works.

Switch friend code: SW-2516-0773-8992
Dream Addy: DA-3238-0526-8917

SpicyDuck

I read the first line that said "I wanted something new"! and stopped, what a 6.2 inch screen on your controller isn't good enough for you?

3DS Name: Ace FC: 0946-2234-2203
Pokemon White FC: 5114-3791-1792
Graphics don't matter.

LordJumpMad

Untitled

For you, the day LordJumpMad graced your threads, was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday.
[url=http://www.backloggery.com/jumpmad]Unive...

3DS Friend Code: 4167-4592-9402 | Twitter:

GameLord08

You know, you seem to be against gaming in general. All your arguments contradict each other, and you're stubbornly not accepting any company's products. How do you expect any satisfaction when you don't give way for flaws just because of your own personal expectations?

Piece of advice, go play Ludo or something, and quit video-games in general. Or build your own console.

GameLord08

AirCop

On the name issue, I wouldn't pay too much attention to it.

If there is one thing games companies can't do, it's name their consoles.

Back in the day, they just used words like 'Super' or 'Mega', because we all know those words are, like, cool. Right kids?

Super NES. Mega Drive.

Then we have the cube that you play games on - it's a Game Cube. The box shaped console with a big X on the front - yup, that's an Xbox alright.

Sony followed up the Playstation with the Playstation 2. And as if that wasn't genius enough, that followed that up with the Playstation 3.

Hey, what's the first letter of Nintendo? How many bits is this console? N64 baby! There was an entertainment system made by Nintendo years ago... can't remember what it was called now though.

You remember the fuss over the name of the iPad? It didn't exactly go down well with everyone.

So yeah, Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo - they couldn't name a console to save their lives. It wont make the games any better, or indeed worse. It wont change the price. It wont really make any difference.

Also, any name, given the fullness of time, will grow on you.

Edited on by AirCop

AirCop

Squiggle55

DrKarl wrote:

Highwinter wrote:

"it can handle one tablet controller plus as many as four Wii Remotes or Wii Remote Plus wands."
...but I was mainly interested in the concept of it doing Four Swords/Crystal Chronicles style games, where you can be playing co-op but with each player getting their own unique screen with extra information, etc.

If this is true, my level of excitement has diminished considerably, as I am also very interested in the Four Swords style as well. Let's hope that Destructoid got this one wrong, and there can be 4+ tablet controllers.

good news today then, with Miyamoto brainstorming about using a 3DS as a controller. hooray!

Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet. -Albert Einstein

Radixxs

haha this post is hilarious. But, I do feel the Wii U is only another peripheral for the Wii. They haven't shown anything to make it stand apart from the Wii, and besides brand recognition, I think keeping the Wii name was a mistake.

I've got the body of a taut, pre-teen Swedish boy.
Covers & Korg DS-10 Originals.

Bankai

Amorous_Badger wrote:

V8_Ninja wrote:

You... do realise that the financial markets and hardware/ software sales are not necessarily related?

skywake

Markets are all about guessing future stability and profitability. They don't care much at all about how well something has done, they're more concerned with guessing how well things will do in the future. The fact that people might be "holding off" buying a Wii (and who are these people still without a Wii? Will they be buying the Wii U?) doesn't have much of an impact at all. If the end result is that a lot of people really, really, really want a Wii U then that's a huge positive.

The drop in Nintendo share prices has more to do with investors and analysts having expectations for the Wii U that weren't met.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Bankai

skywake wrote:

Markets are all about guessing future stability and profitability. They don't care much at all about how well something has done, they're more concerned with guessing how well things will do in the future. The fact that people might be "holding off" buying a Wii (and who are these people still without a Wii? Will they be buying the Wii U?) doesn't have much of an impact at all. If the end result is that a lot of people really, really, really want a Wii U then that's a huge positive.

The drop in Nintendo share prices has more to do with investors and analysts having expectations for the Wii U that weren't met.

People who are good at investing do not guess. It's as simple as that. The look at a company, how it is currently performing, what is on the horizon for that company, and the broader trends around that market.

The Wii U is a direct successor to the Wii that, while impressive technology, is going to be released contrary to current popular trends in gaming. The Wii U doesn't promise much in terms of social, casual (as in, iPhone casual) and digital downloadable content from what Nintendo has shown us so far.

Because dominant market wisdom is that the future is in mutiple-featured devices that do more than gaming, are casual in orientation and are socially orientated, it would be a risk to hang on to Nintendo's shares - they have not come up with a console that is a guaranteed sale.

Look at where the acquisitions and product development are happening: EA's acquired iPhone developers (Firemint) and publishers (Chillingo). Square Enix and Tecmo Koei have invested heavily in Facebook games and, incidently, Zynga is the most valueable games software company around right now. Activision, the traditional games publisher, has scaled back many of its traditional activities like Tony Hawk and Guitar Hero.

Microsoft, Sony and Apple are all about cloud and digital downloadable gaming now.

Nintendo stands alone. That is a risky, risky investment.

Edited on by Bankai

skywake

WaltzElf wrote:

People who are good at investing do not guess. It's as simple as that. The look at a company, how it is currently performing, what is on the horizon for that company, and the broader trends around that market.

and then they make a guess based on that. It's an educated guess but it's still a guess

Bankai

skywake wrote:

WaltzElf wrote:

and then they make a guess based on that. It's an educated guess but it's still a guess

You should look up the difference between "prediction" and "guess."

"Guess" implies something that no investor I've ever met would ever consider doing.

brooks83

Most of the time investing is an educated guess. Sometimes the comany does better than expected, sometimes they do worse. There are no certainties, which is why it's good to diversify your portfolio so that if one stock does worse than expected, it can be offset by other stock. With that said, I belive the investors are being very fickle. I don't believe the Wii U revelation was as mind blowing as the revelation of the original Wii, but I think a lot of people are interested in it and it is very likely to sell well. I don't know what the investors were expecting. They really should wait for more details (price, online details, etc.) before panicking and selling their stock. If anyone here wants to invest in Nintendo stock, now would be a good time. Buy cheap, sell high

EDIT: And yes I know it's more a prediction than a guess, but you get my point.

Edited on by brooks83

brooks83

skywake

WaltzElf wrote:

You should look up the difference between "prediction" and "guess."

"Guess" implies something that no investor I've ever met would ever consider doing.

Guess implies that they don't really know, I know that no investor would ever admit that's what they're doing. What they say they're doing is, and you're right, "predicting" the market rather than guessing. Prediction implies that they can see the future........................................

Which is exactly why a good investor will say, as @brooks83 said, "ok, that's nice Mr Analyst but I'm going to put my money into more than just this one thing that you think is going to be big. Hey, maybe you're wrong about Nintendo and Facebook isn't going to destroy them. Who knows! I'll put some money into both and then this mining company, this bank, this insurance company and......". Of course then the investor is betting on the fact that, in the long term, the market doesn't fall apart completely but they're all taking bets so....

Edited on by skywake

Bankai

I just hope you neve step into investment, skywake, because your idea of what investment is, is wrong.

If I had stock in Nintendo I would be selling right now too. Not because I necessarily expect Nintendo's fortunes to go south, but because Nintendo is attempting to do something against the rest of the industry trend. It might work, or it might be another Gamecube.

You seem to forget it's also too early to predict Nintendo's success. Keeping stock is as much of a "guess" as selling it, when there are far more stable and sensible shares available elsewhere.

Personally, I'd be investing in EA right now.

Edited on by Bankai

Knux

It's too early to tell whether the Wii U is going to turn out to be a success or failure, and it is certainly too early to get angry about a console that has just been announced. I would wait until next year's E3 before denouncing the system. Personally, I think the concept is interesting. But I will have to see what games Nintendo are developing for the system before I even consider buying it. Also, I hope VC and WiiWare games are transferable to the Wii U.

Knux

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.