Forums

Topic: Anyone else a little....deflated?

Posts 321 to 340 of 372

kyuubikid213

skywake wrote:

It didn't need to be a launch title, it didn't need to be Zelda or Mario or Metroid-fox. It just needed to be something. It could have been one of them but it could also have been a Wii Sports or Brain Training or Nintendogs. Something. As it is I'm fairly certain that we won't be listing any of these launch games in 2016 when talking about the "killer apps" that defined the Wii U.

Ah, but we aren't at 2016 yet. For all we know, Pikmin 3 MAY BE THE REASON to get a Wii U. Maybe Project P-100 is one of the top 20 BEST Wii U Games. Perhaps Arkham City will be the DEFINITIVE free roam game on Wii U. We don't know... And as for the whole "It just needed to be something" argument, we did get Nintendo Land (a Wii Sports equivalent if there ever was one), Project P-100 (a game we knew NOTHING about), and Mass Effect 3 (another we knew nothing about). And as for the "It didn't need to be a launch title...," no one means that. We were to get Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time 3D two months after launch and everyone complained. If they showed a trailer saying, "Here comes Legend of Zelda U in 2013," you'd have been so pissed!

I own a PS1, GBA, GBA SP, Wii (GCN), 360, 3DS, PC (Laptop), Wii U, and PS4.
I used to own a GBC, PS2, and DS Lite

I'm on YouTube.

I promise to not derail threads. Request from theblackdragon

I pro...

3DS Friend Code: 4639-9073-1731 | Nintendo Network ID: kyuubikid213

shingi_70

Well the 360/ps3 lain h could afford to be bad Kt was running on the hd graphics gimmick the same year as HDTVs got big. The wii doesn't have any advantage like that.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

skywake

kyuubikid213 wrote:

Ah, but we aren't at 2016 yet. For all we know, Pikmin 3 MAY BE THE REASON to get a Wii U. Maybe Project P-100 is one of the top 20 BEST Wii U Games. Perhaps Arkham City will be the DEFINITIVE free roam game on Wii U. We don't know... And as for the whole "It just needed to be something" argument, we did get Nintendo Land (a Wii Sports equivalent if there ever was one), Project P-100 (a game we knew NOTHING about), and Mass Effect 3 (another we knew nothing about).

They might be but let's be honest, they probably won't be. I remember the reaction to Wii Sports at E3 '06 and it was hyper compared to what the Wii U has seen post E3 2012. Wii Sports was the game that did that, Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime were what turned it upto 11 and the Wii flew off the shelves. I don't see anything that we know thus far being able to do that. At this point the list of games for the Wii U looks worse than the list of games we had on 3DS' horizon at it's launch.

kyuubikid213 wrote:

And as for the "It didn't need to be a launch title...," no one means that. We were to get Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time 3D two months after launch and everyone complained. If they showed a trailer saying, "Here comes Legend of Zelda U in 2013," you'd have been so pissed!

I wasn't and I wouldn't be. Infact if I travel back in time on the interspheres I was pretty hyped Super Mario Galaxy after 2006's E3 and well into 2007 and the same was true for the 3DS. Looking back I can see that just before the 3DS launched I was talking about how Kid Icarus Uprising and OoT 3D were the games to get the system for with zero complaining about how they weren't launch titles. I didn't buy the 3DS at launch because there was nothing to play until OoT3D but if there was, as there is with Pikmin 3, I would have been hyped about it's future AND there at day one.

So you can say that... but you'd be wrong.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

shingi_70

Nintendoland will probably be pushed as the game that is like wii sports. Problem is I don't see it having the same crossover appeal.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

skywake

@Sony_70
I guess we'll find out whether they've been able to repeat the Wii Sports magic after it's out. If non-gamers get their hands on the Wii U as they did with the Wii and suddenly every house including the retirement village down the road is playing Nintendo Land then I'll eat my words. If I hear my gamer friends talk about how their partners won't let them use the TV because they're playing Pikmin 3 then I'll say the same about that game. If I hear people I know who I wouldn't think of as default Nintendo fans rave about Pikmin 3 in the same way then I'll call it the big game that the Wii U needed.

'till that happens I remain unconvinced that either of these titles are the big games that will blow everyone's minds.

shingi_70

They aren't. The wii U has no inherent selling points that I can see. Even the casuel focused stuff wasn't that good looking compared casuel stuff from competitors. I even doubt new super Mario bros as a system seller because it already had a major install base by the time the wii game came out.

WAT!

Freudian_Slip

"1. Change the models and put "Metroid Prime 4" at the end of the Halo 4 trailer"

That's exactly what I was thinking.

Freudian_Slip

Ryno

skywake wrote:

I think the Wii U lacks that system seller title. In hindsight and even at the E3 before it's launch everyone knew that Wii Sports and Super Mario Galaxy were the games people would buy the Wii for. The DS had Nintendogs and Brain Training, the Gameboy had Tetris and later Pokemon, the N64 had Mario 64 and the 3DS has OoT 3D.

The Wii U doesn't have that title yet. I can see Pikmin 3 and Nintendo Land being great titles and Pikmin 3 might end up getting a 10/10 from some reviewers for all we know... but I don't see people lining up to get those games. The Wii U needs its big game, we don't know what it is yet and for a great pre-launch E3 they needed to show us what it was going to be.

As great as Pikmin 3 may be, it just doesn't have the success or following to have a big impact on the Wii U. The 2 games together on the Gamecube didn't even sell 3 million globally according to VGChartz. I agree with Skywake that it would have been a good idea for Nintendo to show an upcoming must-have "big game."

To blessed to be stressed.
80's music makes me feel fabulous.
What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

Nintendo Network ID: Choryzo

shingi_70

I'm wondering when they are going to show the next wii sports game as the easy of use of that is what sold the system.

WAT!

Ryno

Sony_70 wrote:

I'm wondering when they are going to show the next wii sports game as the easy of use of that is what sold the system.

You don't think is what NintendoLand is for?

To blessed to be stressed.
80's music makes me feel fabulous.
What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

Nintendo Network ID: Choryzo

TysonOfTime

Sony_70 wrote:

They aren't. The wii U has no inherent selling points that I can see. Even the casuel focused stuff wasn't that good looking compared casuel stuff from competitors. I even doubt new super Mario bros as a system seller because it already had a major install base by the time the wii game came out.

[/div]

Dunno about you, but for many a casual, having a "Tablet Controller" is a selling point. I can see casuals, seeing an iPad controller, but playing full games like on Xbox360 and PS3. From the people I talk to, this idea would excite them, which it has.

The problem is, the Casual market, unlike the 'core' market, has no common mindset. 'Playing of Casual' like people say Nintendo did with the Wii won't always support you. It's not a safety net. Is there honestly a way to tell what the casual market will or will not eat up? Can we, as 'core' gamers, make that call? What do you guys think?

Edited on by TysonOfTime

You don't die until you're dead!

3DS Friend Code: 4854-6436-0663 | Nintendo Network ID: TysonOfTime

Retro_on_theGo

Ryno wrote:

Sony_70 wrote:

[/div]

Nintendoland is way to complicated to be a Wii Sports equivalent for the Wii U. I could never play that game with my family, since my parents would never learn how to play more than the DK game. (and even that may be tricky at first.)

Joeynator3000

Retro_on_theGo wrote:

Ryno wrote:

Sony_70 wrote:

[/div]

[/div]

[/div]

Nintendoland is way to complicated to be a Wii Sports equivalent for the Wii U. I could never play that game with my family, since my parents would never learn how to play more than the DK game. (and even that may be tricky at first.)

...I don't get it, they're both basically minigame compilations. :/

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

komicturtle

I don't consider Wii Sports a mini game compilation at all. Nintendoland.. I count it as more of a sophisticated minigame compilation versus the simple Mario Party 9 minigames..

komicturtle

CanisWolfred

The Mini-games in Nintendo Land are too complex. Playing Zelda on Nintendo Land is not nearly as simple as playing Bowling in Wii Sports. I mean, who doesn't know how to bowl?

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

AlexSays

I have felt deflated about Nintendo for quite some time, TC. Quite some time..

AlexSays

skywake

TysonQ7 wrote:

The problem is, the Casual market, unlike the 'core' market, has no common mindset. 'Playing of Casual' like people say Nintendo did with the Wii won't always support you. It's not a safety net. Is there honestly a way to tell what the casual market will or will not eat up? Can we, as 'core' gamers, make that call? What do you guys think?

It's a pretty easy test really. Find a "casual gamer", show them trailers and ask them what they think. Using that test I would say that NintendoLand does not fit the bill and out of all the games shown New SMB U is probably the closest thing the Wii U has to Wii Sports' mass appeal.

Edited on by skywake

CommanderAudio

Untitled

Yes, I feel very deflated

Seriously though, from the looks of it , the fact it looks boring and the fact that it's complicated, is not the reason I'm worried. It's just that Nintendo think this is THE BEST THING EVAR!!!!!!!!!!! and their putting all their hopes into it. If Nintendo Land fails, Nintendo are doomed for all eternity. They have to get this right.

Edited on by CommanderAudio

Fire is more fun with friends, kids!
Formerly known as PikminMonster
Choose Your Own Adventure!
3DS FC:4554-0106-9407
Let me know if you add me, but PLEASE DON'T send me spam in ...

Mandoble

Er ... Nintendo Land seems complicated???

Mandoble

Highwinter

My biggest problem with the Wii U is still the lack of games. I can see potential for the technology, but if all we have are the same few first party Nintendo titles and some ports of games that have been out for other systems for years, what's the point? Why would anyone rush out to buy a Wii U for Arkham City?

The even bigger problem is the Xbox "720" and PS4, which are strongly rumoured to be out next year and will be significantly more powerful, once again leaving Nintendo with no third party support. They can continue to state that graphics aren't important, which is somewhat true, but when it limits how advanced games can be and even what games can be released for the system, it's a serious problem.

Nintendo seem to have a knack for making products very successful, after everyone else has assumed they will fail, but I'm having a hard time seeing this one ending well.

Highwinter

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.