Forums

Topic: Anyone else a little....deflated?

Posts 301 to 320 of 372

komicturtle

Interesting. Guess I stand corrected. At the same time- why does it seem like their "games" are Arcade only? Seems like a waste because those games would be buried under everything else and won't get the proper spotlight they deserve.

komicturtle

shingi_70

L4DYK0M1C wrote:

Interesting. Guess I stand corrected. At the same time- why does it seem like their "games" are Arcade only? Seems like a waste because those games would be buried under everything else and won't get the proper spotlight they deserve.

Microsoft promotes the hell out of Xbla. Look up the sales for minecraft xbla and trails evoultion.

Case and point

But for the most part I think micrlsoft understands thats its hard to push a non AAA game on the retail market these days. And with the quality of download games going up (see Alan wake American nightmare, section 8 prejudice, costume quest). Its smarter to release mid range games at a $10-$20 pricetag and get them to sale.  I mean remedy has heavily hinted Alan Wake 2 being a. Console game but decided to have a side story in American nightmare to keep the brand relevant. Take pushmo. Thats one of the best games of last year with a lot of depth and could be a full retail games. But putting it kn download maximzed the people who would get it instead of waiting for a price drop. I think Sony could learn from this and they have played with the idea. Look at infamous 2 festival of blood or Rachent and Clank: quest for booty. Now what's stopping them from releasing a cull length with PS2 up reserve visuals Jam and Daxter game for psn. Or a downloadable 2D metroid like shadow complex.

Edited on by shingi_70

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

komicturtle

See, a majority of those games I have not heard of. Hybrid, Alan Wake and Shadow Complex are the only ones. And Minecraft was popular FAR before it made it to XBLA but I did see the neat promotions they had with avatar costumes and accessories and the like.

komicturtle

brooks83

Well I have Internet access again (was on vacation last week), and boy, this was a pretty bad E3 conference. After admitting they did not do a very good job with the 2011 conference, I thought for sure this year would be something special. Instead, it was almost a repeat of last year. I was happy to learn that you can transfer VC games over to the Wii U (although this wasn't even mentioned at the presentation), nothing blew me away and made me want to start saving my money up for launch day. At this point I'm thinking I should keep my Wii to continue buying VC titles for and get a PS3 or 360 rather than a Wii U.

brooks83

shingi_70

Yeah I see what you mean. I was dismayed to see microsoft didn't put the summer of arcade sizzle reel into the confrence. I've been picking up a lot of xbla stuff recently. Yep microsoft has a lot of great games that aren't shooty or racy or xbla.

Raskulls
Illomilo
Fusion genesis
Kingdom of keflings
Dugeon fighter online
Fez
Splosion man
Gunstringer
Skukks of the shogon
The splatters

Iron brigade

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

CanisWolfred

L4DYK0M1C wrote:

I read through your WHOLE post as soon it was posted and no, you did not even point out Ninja Gaiden at all. Don't make accusations just for the sake of it. I'm not going to waste time arguing because I don't want to sound like a broken record.

Microsoft still does not own those properties Sony has brought up. And like I said, in the past 11 years, Microsoft has yet to set up branches like Sony and Nintendo have been doing. Don't get on me if I tell it like it is.

How about this: You never never talk to me again, and I'll do the same for you? Because this won't end well otherwise.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

doctor_doak

Right but only Mario 64 and Pilotwings were actually launch titles. Mario 64 was a great game, but seriously none of the previous launch lineups have been particularly impressive. The difference I feel is that there is a 'MUCH' stronger selection of 3rd party exclusives and cross-platform releases on offer in the WiiU's launch window. Plus, you'll get Pikmin 3 which looks awesome.

Those 1st party titles like Metroid, F-Zero, Zelda, Mario 3D, etc.. will come in time, and I suspect Nintendo are waiting to hi-jack the party of the other two consoles by releasing & announcing said 1st party titles when they're trying to sell their respective systems. I think there'll big a big 1st party push at this time to try and lure gamers away from the consoles. I mean, that's what i'd do .. Who wouldn't want to play Metroid & F-Zero in HD????

doctor_doak

Bankai

Mickeymac wrote:

L4DYK0M1C wrote:

Just because Nintendo publish Monster Hunter Tri (Europe) and Dragon Quest IX doesn't make it their IP like Sony and Mickey were claiming :/

[/div]

[/div]

Jesus Christ, I said there were exceptions, and those are exactly the exceptions I was talking about. Those are brands wholly owned by their parent companies, and in those cases, they worked out a deal with Nintendo to publish them in other territories. I could've sworn I even used Ninja Gaiden III as an example of this, if you actually read my post. In fact, usually in those cases, Nintendo only has rights to distribute them. Sony's been talking specifically about IPs owned by Nintendo, too. In the cases of smaller brands, the publisher owns all the rights to that IP.

There are cases of smaller brands where the publisher may not own the rights to the IP. Matrix Games is a publisher of Frozen Synapse, but Matrix does not own the rights to the IP.

It's entirely down to the nature of the deal that's been struck. If the publisher acquires the IP as a result of the publishing deal, then it owns the IP. Otherwise the developer retains all rights to it.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but there are no hard-and-fast rules about that. IP and ownership is a contractual thing, so it really depends on the individual terms.

CanisWolfred

That was a badly worded sentence I wrote. Or maybe even a bad sentence entirely. I'm pretty sure I knew before that there weren't any set rules, and meant to say "They may not own the rights to that IP. If not, then duely noted.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Henmii

Looking back at the Nintendo conference: Yes it was bad, and it didn't convince me to buy a Wii u just yet! However, Luigi's mansion 2, Castle of illusion sequel and Paper mario 3DS still look fun (though I am a bit sceptical of the stickers mechanic). For Zelda 3DS it may be a little to early. Maybe next year!

As for the Wii u: We hoped we would get blow away by the line-up (3D mario, Retro studio's title, lots of great third-party titles), and the graphics. Instead we got (presumably) the launch line-up wich looks already better then the Wii launch line-up. I mean: There is a interesting new IP from Nintendo: Project P-100. There is Pikmin, something that doesn't appeal to me, but many will be happy! And then there is Game and Wario, a awesome looking Rayman, Zombi u, darksiders 2, Assasins creed 3 (am I correct?), Mass effect 3, Batman: Arkham city, Bit trip runner 2 and Trine! Not bad!

So while I don't think I'll buy it at launch, I may buy it in the future! As for the controller, I have to try it first I guess! Also: Miiverse looks like the return of the Nintendo forums, wich could be fun! But the graphics: Rayman looks awesome and so does Pikmin 3 among some other titles. But I fear Microsoft and Sony will blow the Wii u away!

This is my future shop-list:

Rayman: Hell yeah!
Project P-100: Maybe. Should have had much better graphics though!
Game and Wario: Yes
New mario bros Wii u: Yes, though I am not a big fan
Darksiders 2: Maybe, because it has Zelda-like gameplay
Assasins creed 3: Maybe
Mass effect 3: Maybe. If I had played the first 2 I would say definitely!
Batman: Arkham city: Maybe because it's supposed to be pretty good
Trine 2: Absolutely
Bit trip runner 2: Absolutely
Zombi u: Maybe

Luigi's mansion 2: Absolutely
Paper mario 3DS: Absolutely
New mario bros 2: Yes, though I am not a great fan
Castle of illusion 2: Maybe
Castlevania Mirror of fate: Maybe
Kingdom hearts 3DS: Maybe
Final fantasy Thearhytm (I gues I spelled it wrong): Maybe

That's all!

Edited on by Henmii

Henmii

eternalstar0211

Well I am still getting it for my room,I just hope Nintendoland is bundled in.

Now Waiting for: Animal Crossing 3ds and the Wii U
Love forum games!

doctor_doak

I think people's expectations are ridiculously high. I didn't even bother watching E3 (just the couple of replay highlights i was interested in), because I knew it would be underwhelming. It was apparent that there would be no big launch reveal due to the conversations Iwata had with investors before the conference took place that were reported. He made a point of saying that expectations from a software perspective had to be tempered in the initial stages of the console's existence. Implying that they just didn't have any titles that were ready, apart from the already revealed Pikmin 3. The thing is, it's only one quarter of a year in a likely six year cycle. The launch is probably 1/24th of the systems lifespan..

3rd parties deep into development on other projects on other platforms are only just getting on board with the new hardware..It takes time. Also, Nintendo doesn't want it's launch window saturated with competing mega-titles from the whole spectrum of major publishers, because it wants to promote over-arching partnerships like the one's with Ubisoft and EA, and those publishers want a return on their investments.

But we all know that those 1st party titles like Mario 3D, Zelda, Smash Brothers, Metroid, etc... will be released in time. So I don't really understand why people are upset. As I said before, the launch line-up stacks up very well compared to other console launches over the last 10-15 years.

The nature of the business at this time dictates that publishers, and the likes of Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft don't reveal much information about what they're doing until they absolutely have to. This can be pretty frustrating for consumers who want access to all information possible...but from Nintendo's perspective, I think that they're being publicly coy over things like system specs, future titles, online functionality and such simply to deny their competitors information that could be used against them down the line. They're still probably making tweaks to certain components as well, so why give out the exact specs at e3?

I think it'll be ok. They really do appear committed to fixing the lack of support the wii had throughout its existence, because i think they realise they've probably already lost a portion of their customer base to mobile gaming. They're still courting that crowd, but I think they realise that the core console crowd who became disillusioned with the lack of 3rd party support on the wii must also be re-won if they're to make up for that likely shortfall.

Edited on by doctor_doak

doctor_doak

skywake

Yeah, people are complaining to much. Everyone wanted a new Metroid and they got Halo 4, what more do they want?

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Radixxs

doctor_doak wrote:

The launch is probably 1/24th of the systems lifespan..

But it counts for so much more. The launch of a console is always anticipated, followed. The 3DS launch, although a handheld, is Exhibit A. Sure, it had some decent launch window titles in Pilotwings and Street Fighter. But as so many have written before, it lacked a show-stopper. The loyal, vocal group of early droppers showed their displeasure while the others did so by not purchasing the console. If such a 'dry spell' had been experienced, say, 4 years into the console's life, there's no way Nintendo would slash the price and apologize to current adopters. The launch window may be a small part of a console's lifespan, but it is the most important.

I've got the body of a taut, pre-teen Swedish boy.
Covers & Korg DS-10 Originals.

skywake

I think the Wii U lacks that system seller title. In hindsight and even at the E3 before it's launch everyone knew that Wii Sports and Super Mario Galaxy were the games people would buy the Wii for. The DS had Nintendogs and Brain Training, the Gameboy had Tetris and later Pokemon, the N64 had Mario 64 and the 3DS has OoT 3D.

The Wii U doesn't have that title yet. I can see Pikmin 3 and Nintendo Land being great titles and Pikmin 3 might end up getting a 10/10 from some reviewers for all we know... but I don't see people lining up to get those games. The Wii U needs its big game, we don't know what it is yet and for a great pre-launch E3 they needed to show us what it was going to be.

Chris720

skywake wrote:

Yeah, people are complaining to much. Everyone wanted a new Metroid and they got Halo 4, what more do they want?

What everyone wants... Reggie, Iwata and Miyamoto walking into their living rooms with a golden platter each and showing them games to drool over before quickly exiting while declaring "Not finished yet, see you next fall!"

Origin: chrisd1080
Steam: Chris720
Battle.net: Chris720
uPlay: Demonic720
YouTube

Nintendo Network ID: Chris720 | Twitter:

skywake

@Demonic
1. Change the models and put "Metroid Prime 4" at the end of the Halo 4 trailer
2. Put said trailer at the end of the Nintendo conference
3. Watch the internets implode
4. ????
5. Profit

doctor_doak

Radixxs wrote:

doctor_doak wrote:

The launch is probably 1/24th of the systems lifespan..

[/div]

[/div]

But it counts for so much more. The launch of a console is always anticipated, followed. The 3DS launch, although a handheld, is Exhibit A. Sure, it had some decent launch window titles in Pilotwings and Street Fighter. But as so many have written before, it lacked a show-stopper. The loyal, vocal group of early droppers showed their displeasure while the others did so by not purchasing the console. If such a 'dry spell' had been experienced, say, 4 years into the console's life, there's no way Nintendo would slash the price and apologize to current adopters. The launch window may be a small part of a console's lifespan, but it is the most important.

[/div]

If that's the case, then the Xbox 360 and the PS3 should've brought their respective owners to their knees, because both launches were beyond mediocre. The PS3's launch was laughably bad....but now 6 years into its life, many consider the PS3 to be the only console capable of churning out quality 1st party titles on a regular basis..

If you go back and do a search on all the launch titles of the various consoles over the last 15 years, you might be surprised by how poor they look in retrospect. Name a better console launch in that timeframe because i'd like to know about it..

You're after a 'showstopper' like most others who are bitterly disappointed by E3. If Mario Galaxy 3 had've been shown off as the launch title instead of NSMB's...you'd all be saying that this launch was the best thing since sliced bread! But you know those big titles like Mario 3D, Zelda and Metroid will eventually appear and they'll be epic..The thing is...NSMB is going to drive the 'installed base' on this console, which is why Nintendo chose it over a new 3D Mario. Sure it's stale, but it'll bring in the masses, which then creates the platform for more diverse and challenging titles & the crucial 3rd party support the console needs.

This launch is quite good in my opinion. It's having to cater for a lot of different demographics, and I just don't know why people are complaining. I mean its 4 months!! You're going to get a fantastic 1st party title in Pikmin 3, plus,

Assassin's Creed 3 (not a port)
Darksiders 2 (not a port)
Batman: Arkham City (Armored Edition- all dlc included)
Rayman Legends (not a port)
Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing Transformed (w/h developers from Bizarre Creations)
Zombi (not a port)
Project P-100 ( an 'EXCLUSIVE' developed by the guys who made Okami, Resident Evil, Bayonetta, Devil May Cry, etc...)
Fifa 13 (likely...with some sort of novel use of the controller)

That's a very solid lineup by my book. Some of those games like Darksiders 2 and Sonic-All Stars Racing are pretty underrated from what i've seen. There's also Mass Effect 3, Aliens: Colonial Marines and Black Ops 2.

I mean, the console has NEVER had this kind of 3rd party support at launch, and the only knockout launch title it's ever had was Mario 64.. So y'know, I just don't get all the fuss..

Edited on by doctor_doak

doctor_doak

kyuubikid213

doctor_doak wrote:

If that's the case, then the Xbox 360 and the PS3 should've brought their respective owners to their knees, because both launches were beyond mediocre. The PS3's launch was laughably bad....but now 6 years into its life, many consider the PS3 to be the only console capable of churning out quality 1st party titles on a regular basis..

If you go back and do a search on all the launch titles of the various consoles over the last 15 years, you might be surprised by how poor they look in retrospect. Name a better console launch in that timeframe because i'd like to know about it..

You're after a 'showstopper' like most others who are bitterly disappointed by E3. If Mario Galaxy 3 had've been shown off as the launch title instead of NSMB's...you'd all be saying that this launch was the best thing since sliced bread! But you know those big titles like Mario 3D, Zelda and Metroid will eventually appear and they'll be epic..The thing is...NSMB is going to drive the 'installed base' on this console, which is why Nintendo chose it over a new 3D Mario. Sure it's stale, but it'll bring in the masses, which then creates the platform for more diverse and challenging titles & the crucial 3rd party support the console needs.

This launch is quite good in my opinion. It's having to cater for a lot of different demographics, and I just don't know why people are complaining. I mean its 4 months!! You're going to get a fantastic 1st party title in Pikmin 3, plus,

Assassin's Creed 3 (not a port)
Darksiders 2 (not a port)
Batman: Arkham City (Armored Edition- all dlc included)
Rayman Legends (not a port)
Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing Transformed (w/h developers from Bizarre Creations)
Zombi (not a port)
Project P-100 ( an 'EXCLUSIVE' developed by the guys who made Okami, Resident Evil, Bayonetta, Devil May Cry, etc...)
Fifa 13 (likely...with some sort of novel use of the controller)

That's a very solid lineup by my book. Some of those games like Darksiders 2 and Sonic-All Stars Racing are pretty underrated from what i've seen. There's also Mass Effect 3, Aliens: Colonial Marines and Black Ops 2.

I mean, the console has NEVER had this kind of 3rd party support at launch, and the only knockout launch title it's ever had was Mario 64.. So y'know, I just don't get all the fuss..

[/div]

[/div]

[/div]

And now you've opened the doorway for them to retort, "Well, you can just get half of those on PS3/360 for cheap if you get it used..." or "If you want to play Mass Effect and Assassin's Creed, just buy them and a PS3/360; it'll be cheaper than holding out for the Wii U..."

Personally though, I agree with you. With your expectations as unreasonably high as to hope for the next Mario 64 or that nonexistent Metroid-Starfox crossover, I guess this would be a dull E3.

Edited on by kyuubikid213

I own a PS1, GBA, GBA SP, Wii (GCN), 360, 3DS, PC (Laptop), Wii U, and PS4.
I used to own a GBC, PS2, and DS Lite

I'm on YouTube.

I promise to not derail threads. Request from theblackdragon

I pro...

3DS Friend Code: 4639-9073-1731 | Nintendo Network ID: kyuubikid213

skywake

.......... but you can get those games on the PS3/360.

and I don't think it's unreasonable to say that at was effectively an official product unveiling people tend to expect to be told why they should buy said product. Pikmin 3 and New SMB? Oh that's cool but why is this Pikmin/New SMB better than the other versions of these games out already and why whould I get it for the Wii U? Big third party games? Cool again but why should I get them on the Wii U instead of on one of those other consoles? They didn't really have anything on show that they could wave infront of our faces and say "this is why you should get the Wii U".

It didn't need to be a launch title, it didn't need to be Zelda or Mario or Metroid-fox. It just needed to be something. It could have been one of them but it could also have been a Wii Sports or Brain Training or Nintendogs. Something. As it is I'm fairly certain that we won't be listing any of these launch games in 2016 when talking about the "killer apps" that defined the Wii U.

Edited on by skywake

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.