Wii U Forum

Topic: Analog stick controllers?

Showing 1 to 20 of 51

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Nintendo6400

1. Posted:

I keep hearing people complain about the circle pads on the new controller. What Nintendo should do is make analog stick controllers along with the circle pad ones. That way people can choose which one they're more comfortable with. Would you like analog sticks, or circle pads?

3DS FC: 4854-6437-9458
Friend Safari: Fire- Growlith, Pyroar, Flechling

AuthorMessage
Avatar

komicturtle

2. Posted:

Use the Classic Controller Pro. It's $20. It has ALL the inputs the WiiU Tablet has minus the fancy screen and speakers.. And cameras and microphone.. And stylus.

Go nuts :P

komicturtle

AuthorMessage
Avatar

TheGreenSpiny

3. Posted:

Personally I just hope the Wii Remote and Nunchuck are supported. Most of the games that were shown at E3 were FPS. I won't buy or play any Wii U shooter that doesn't support the 'mote and chuk combo. If the circle pads are as bad as everyone says, then that's like taking two steps backwards in controls.

TheGreenSpiny

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Terave

4. Posted:

On the 3DS - Fine.
On the Wii U controller - Analog required -> No slipping and just better.

Changed name: Old name was JDT!
Ponies will take over the world. Just deal with it.
3DS FC: 1375-7189-4496

AuthorMessage
Avatar

bro2dragons

5. Posted:

As I hear it, they're far better designed, and more precise than the one on the 3DS. I think on a controller that shape (flat), the circle pads are going to work a lot better than raising and lowering your thumb all the time. Other controllers have more of a natural curve to them. With the Wii U controller, the circle pads could very well be the best choice for comfort. And, if they're built as well as I've heard, I have no problem exchanging analog sticks for circle pads.

“I am a brother to dragons and a companion to owls." Job:30:29
We, like Job, are destitute save for the love of Jesus.
Find me on Facebook, just be sure to tell me you're from NL!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WaveBoy

6. Posted:

TheDarkness wrote:

Personally I just hope the Wii Remote and Nunchuck are supported. Most of the games that were shown at E3 were FPS. I won't buy or play any Wii U shooter that doesn't support the 'mote and chuk combo. If the circle pads are as bad as everyone says, then that's like taking two steps backwards in controls.

You and me both dude. I've said this before, but if Metroid Prime 4(just throwing down an example) doesn't support the Wii remote and Nunchuck Combo I'm out, i'll honestly skip it....There's no way in hell i'm going back to those clunky, archiac, boring, stiff and dated dual analog controls. that would be like a giant slap to the face....I don't care how unique, creative and innovative the Wii U controller 'may' be with it's extra screen....the point is by using 'that' controller you're getting one massive downgrade with Samsus's Arm cannon aiming and the like, and you're completely losing out on the immersion factor.

Dual Analog controls are no longer fun in my eyes, it's depressing actually. If 3D titles remained staignent in that state I'd quit games that used dual analog all together. Pointer controls make you feel like the character, and that's everything i wan't in a new Metroid Prime or Resident Evil title for ex, just to feel like you're that character in that world, you can't get that with dual analogs.

I've never felt more involved, more blown away or immersed into a videogame than Metroid Prime 3....Blew me away the first time i set the controls on Advanced, what a massive next gen upgrade regarding the controls.

If the next Metroid Prime, Zelda or Resident Evi(once again for ex) don't use MotionPlus & Nunbuck comba as alternative controls, then F**** it.
Dual analog isn't the future for these types of games, it's a massive step back 'just' for a new screen which may be awesome based on the innovative idea's these devlopers are churning up, but it just doesn't matter to me at all if I'm losing out on wii pointer controls.

For a sidescroller? Hell ya, I'm all for the Wii U controller for something like a new Wario Land Shake it! or Super Mario Bros ect ect.....but for many o fthe other genres that the Wii has been proven to be superior in? no thanks..

Edited on by WaveBoy

Currently Playing: Mega Man V!
We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!
80s FANATIC & King of NES Tekkidome!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

romulux

7. Posted:

this is the first i've heard about anyone not liking the circle pad. i personally couldn't be more glad that nintendo's putting their stock in the new sliders. i've noticed when i use sticks now that my thumb isn't nearly as stable while holding the stick down in any direction since you have to put pressure on at an angle, the circle pad keeps your thumb flat no matter where you're moving. i have noticed that it's not quite as sensitive to small movements as i'd like but it sounds like the wii u versions will fix that.

goldeneye- 5447 4748 5174

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Meta-Rift

8. Posted:

@WaveBoy: I think the Wii U controller will make it easy to provide both control methods for any game that would use them. I have a hard time going back to analogue sticks for aiming, but for lots of people it's the other way around. The new controller has two circle pads, and it also has a gyroscope. That should satisfy most people on both sides of the argument.

I mean, Skyward Sword doesn't even use the IR sensor for aiming. If they're going to keep the advanced swordplay in Zelda for Wii U, MotionPlus is a must. But TBH, I'd much rather see what they can do with just the new controller.

And I hate to be the one who has to say it, but I wouldn't hold my breath on Metroid Prime 4.

Meta-Rift

AuthorMessage
Avatar

C-195

9. Posted:

WaveBoy wrote:

TheDarkness wrote:

Personally I just hope the Wii Remote and Nunchuck are supported. Most of the games that were shown at E3 were FPS. I won't buy or play any Wii U shooter that doesn't support the 'mote and chuk combo. If the circle pads are as bad as everyone says, then that's like taking two steps backwards in controls.

You and me both dude. I've said this before, but if Metroid Prime 4(just throwing down an example) doesn't support the Wii remote and Nunchuck Combo I'm out, i'll honestly skip it....There's no way in hell i'm going back to those clunky, archiac, boring, stiff and dated dual analog controls. that would be like a giant slap to the face....I don't care how unique, creative and innovative the Wii U controller 'may' be with it's extra screen....the point is by using 'that' controller you're getting one massive downgrade with Samsus's Arm cannon aiming and the like, and you're completely losing out on the immersion factor.

Dual Analog controls are no longer fun in my eyes, it's depressing actually. If 3D titles remained staignent in that state I'd quit games that used dual analog all together. Pointer controls make you feel like the character, and that's everything i wan't in a new Metroid Prime or Resident Evil title for ex, just to feel like you're that character in that world, you can't get that with dual analogs.

I've never felt more involved, more blown away or immersed into a videogame than Metroid Prime 3....Blew me away the first time i set the controls on Advanced, what a massive next gen upgrade regarding the controls.

If the next Metroid Prime, Zelda or Resident Evi(once again for ex) don't use MotionPlus & Nunbuck comba as alternative controls, then F**** it.
Dual analog isn't the future for these types of games, it's a massive step back 'just' for a new screen which may be awesome based on the innovative idea's these devlopers are churning up, but it just doesn't matter to me at all if I'm losing out on wii pointer controls.

For a sidescroller? Hell ya, I'm all for the Wii U controller for something like a new Wario Land Shake it! or Super Mario Bros ect ect.....but for many o fthe other genres that the Wii has been proven to be superior in? no thanks..

Same here, I can't stand Duel Analog FPS's the controls just feel so clunky to me, the freedom of a mouse/ wiimote is far more my style. They still should ditch the circle pads for analog sticks though and have them similar to the ones on the 360, primarily the 'click in' function they have, it would help devs who mainly work on the 360.
On a side note, they should make the larger triggers on the controller analog as well, it would help with racing games.

C-195

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SamuraiShyGuy

10. Posted:

The funny thing is, I remember a guy wrote into Nintendo Power saying he liked the circle pad on 3DS so much that he hopes they use the circle pad on console controllers. He got his wish. :D I haven't used the Wii U controller, so I have no comment on this issue.

3DS: 0173-1626-4750
Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
Check out my Colors!3D gallery!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WaveBoy

11. Posted:

Rift wrote:

@WaveBoy: I think the Wii U controller will make it easy to provide both control methods for any game that would use them. I have a hard time going back to analogue sticks for aiming, but for lots of people it's the other way around. The new controller has two circle pads, and it also has a gyroscope. That should satisfy most people on both sides of the argument.

I mean, Skyward Sword doesn't even use the IR sensor for aiming. If they're going to keep the advanced swordplay in Zelda for Wii U, MotionPlus is a must. But TBH, I'd much rather see what they can do with just the new controller.

And I hate to be the one who has to say it, but I wouldn't hold my breath on Metroid Prime 4.

The Wii U may also have pointer and gyro controls, but holding onto that massive brick tablet in no way replicates or even comes close to holding a gun, in Zelda's case 'a sword', a wand, Samus's Arm Cannon, hell or even an ice cream cone and the hundreds of other small compact one handed weapons/objects you can think of that fit snug tight and in the palm of your hand 'and freely' which the Wii remote provieds. ;)

If anything the WU controller would work good for a two handed shield. lol :p Oh wait, Nintendo sort of already thought tof that for Shield Pose hehe.

But yup! Hopefully like many are saying, we get that alternate controls option with the Wii Remote and Nunchuck....I'm just suprised it's not the main control scheme for genre's like First person or 3rd person titles....I know the Wii U controller is the main(Durp!) controller and that's what it's all about, and while it does have pointer and gyro controls once again it can't replicate Link's sword or Samus's Arm cannon for example. it would be utterly stupid and ridiculous. Maybe it would feel great for a mechanical 2 handed gatline gun.lol But I don't like KillZone. :p

But imagin if the option for the Wii remote & Nunchuck was not there....I'd be crying mega waves of flipping neon rainbows, i'd be so pissed off....To have these new next gen '3D'(hell yes!) 1080p(I'm hoping! and not 720p) gorgeous looking nintendo games on a 50 1080p 3D HDTV Plasma with Digital sound....But wait, now i'm taking totaly back by using dual analog to aim. I have all the other bells and whistles for an absolutely amazing experience, but now i'm playing THIS game with a control method that's been around since the PS2 and Xbox....If Nintendo doesn't opt for the Wii Remote Nunhuck for these types of games i'm passing. It goes to show they abanded 'that' immersion factor, to feel as if your ARE the character just so they could offer another window(the Wii U controllers screen) into the gaming world.

In the process, you win some, but you totaly lose alot for first or 3rd person titles.
Here's another example......If Silent Hil Wii U came out, how would the the Wii U controller replicate a flash light like in Shattered Memories? it can't....A flash light is the size of the wii remote and it takes one hand to hold....The Wii U table takes 2 hands, and it's like holding onto a massive tablet.

Unless we get alternate control options many gamers out there who love the wii remote will be furious.

Edited on by WaveBoy

Currently Playing: Mega Man V!
We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!
80s FANATIC & King of NES Tekkidome!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Meta-Rift

12. Posted:

WaveBoy wrote:

The Wii U may also have pointer and gyro controls, but holding onto that massive brick tablet in no way replicates or even comes close to holding a gun, in Zelda's case 'a sword', a wand, Samus's Arm Cannon, hell or even an ice cream cone and the hundreds of other small compact one handed weapons/objects you can think of that fit snug tight and in the palm of your hand 'and freely' which the Wii remote provieds. ;)

So far I've heard that the controller is surprisingly lightweight and fits comfortably in your hands. But that's not the point. I think it's great that Wii U games will be able to use Wii controllers. I'm not saying the Wii U controller should replace that. But the Wii U controller opens up new possibilities the same way the Wii remote did, and I think it would be a waste not to explore those possibilities.

Take Skyward Sword for example, obviously the new controller can't do that. There are other things that it can do instead, though, things that wouldn't be possible with a Wii remote. I'd love it if every game had the option to use either controller as an alternative to the other, but then you can't have games that are designed around a gameplay mechanic exclusive to one controller. A game like Skyward Sword needs Wii MotionPlus, you can't progress in the game without it. That's why there should be some games that require the remote, some games that require the new controller, and some games that let you choose the one you like better.

Meta-Rift

AuthorMessage
Avatar

pntjr

13. Posted:

If Nintendo says the circle pads are improved, beleive them. When has good ol' Ninty ever let us down? (Besides all the time)

3DS: 4596-9579-9606
The BackLoggery of Zelda!
Wii: 5236-6857-3124-9818
PSN: pntjr

3DS Friend Code: 4596-9579-9606 | Nintendo Network ID: pntjrx | Twitter: pntjrx

AuthorMessage
Avatar

komicturtle

14. Posted:

I hope the improved slide pads are carried over to 3DS SP.

komicturtle

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Mandoble

15. Posted:

3DS circle pad is simply terrible. PSP style is way better. Anyway, a second analog stick is still not enough to compete vs keyboard + mouse. Ideally you should be able to do the following independently:
1 - To Move.
2 - To look around
3 - To aim a weapon or something

So, how to solve this situation? You have your finger pointing to the left, while you advance forward and turn your head to the right. These situations were solved for PC games long time ago, but they are still "impossibles" for the consoles. Your would need a combination of analog sticks + 8 way HATs over them.

Mandoble

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WaveBoy

16. Posted:

I personally don't care if they stick with the Circle pad or a regular analog stick. The Wii Remote is my 2nd analog stick baby. B-)

Anyways, I haven't played any 3D platformers on the 3DS to get a true sense of what the circle pad feels like, so i can't exactly say. But, Nintendo knows what they are doing so we'll see....we'll see. :p

And Mandoble, you are the pickiest pickle of Commodre 64 land bud. lol First you said the L & R 3DS buttons were complete trash, now the circle pad is absolutely terrible? I think you're going a bit overboard here....What is your definition of 'good' L & R Buttons? the 3DS has the best and most responsive feeling L & R Buttons for any hand held yet and feel much better than the DS Lite's. As for the Circle Pad?....C'MON man, really?

Edited on by WaveBoy

Currently Playing: Mega Man V!
We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!
80s FANATIC & King of NES Tekkidome!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Chrono_Cross

17. Posted:

@16

When don't you have something bad to say about Nintendo? How is the circle pad, in any way bad? Do you have really big thumbs?

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

AuthorMessage
Avatar

bboy2970

18. Posted:

Mandoble wrote:

3DS circle pad is simply terrible. PSP style is way better. Anyway, a second analog stick is still not enough to compete vs keyboard + mouse. Ideally you should be able to do the following independently:
1 - To Move.
2 - To look around
3 - To aim a weapon or something

So, how to solve this situation? You have your finger pointing to the left, while you advance forward and turn your head to the right. These situations were solved for PC games long time ago, but they are still "impossibles" for the consoles. Your would need a combination of analog sticks + 8 way HATs over them.

What exactly is bad about the Circle Pad? And how is it you think the PSP nub is better? I mean...if you hated both then fine I understand, you aren't a fan of non-stick analogue sticks....but how you can prefre the PSP's pathetic little nub...thing over the 3DS's smooth, intuitive Circle Pad is totally beyond me. I get that people have opinions and all that but I kind of thought it was just common knowledge and accepted as fact that PSP's nub is horrid and 3DS's Circle Pad is pretty good. I feel like your just trying to say something negative toward Nintendo here.

My backloggery: http://backloggery.com/bboy2970

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Mandoble

19. Posted:

The problem I (and many others) have with the 3DS circle pad is that my thumb keeps sliding out of the pad in the direction where I press it, this doesnt happen with PSP. bboy2970, so it is commonly accepted that PSP one is pathetic? commonly accepted by non PSP users I guess ...

WaveBoy, good L&R buttons are these on the DSiXL or the PSP, no idea what's the relation between them, Commodore 64 (I never had one) and the WiiU circle pads.

Mandoble

AuthorMessage
Avatar

bboy2970

20. Posted:

Mandoble wrote:

The problem I (and many others) have with the 3DS circle pad is that my thumb keeps sliding out of the pad in the direction where I press it, this doesnt happen with PSP. bboy2970, so it is commonly accepted that PSP one is pathetic? commonly accepted by non PSP users I guess ...

WaveBoy, good L&R buttons are these on the DSiXL or the PSP, no idea what's the relation between them, Commodore 64 (I never had one) and the WiiU circle pads.

Well you're definitely the first person I've heard of this from. I know of plenty who dislike both but this is certainly the first I've seen of having issues on 3DS but not on PSP. And yeah, look around the internet. the PSP nub is not well-liked.

My backloggery: http://backloggery.com/bboy2970