Wii U Forum

Topic: Amazon Fire TV Gamers Bundle $124 - new Wii U competition?

Showing 61 to 80 of 90

AuthorMessage
Avatar

rjejr

61. Posted:

sub12 wrote:

Nintendo now has to rely on their hardcore faithful as well as luring in children and teenagers via Mario, Pokemon, Zelda, etc, kids who are genuinely interested in video games (and not just something simple like Angry Birds),

That's the argument people - myself included - keep making for putting Nintendo games on smartphones and tablets, b/c that's where kids ARE playing games these days, Angry Birds is a game, a very big popular game w/ many sequels. I don't think SM3DW or MK8 or SSB should be an "app" game, but stick Yoshi in a Flappy Bird endless flyer or Kirby in Doodle Jump and wrap the games in 3DS ads. I think app minigames would be a better use of money than tv commercials.

Nintendo keeps saying app games now are quick money now but a loser in the long run, but I say just the opposite, attract kids on phones and tablets now so they want to upgrade to real games in the future. More kids start gaming on phones than Nintendo consoles, Nintendo needs to reach out to them.

The 94 mil have spent lots of money on large screen HD tvs, they need to put something game related on them. I think wiimote motion was a fad and exercise and dance may be fads but people will still want games on their tvs, even if game=Candy Crush.

Playing Advance Wars on my Wii U really makes me think Ninntedo missed the boat "pun intneded" w/ the Gamepad. I can think of no better use for the Gamepad online than Battleship w/ videochat. Advance Wars U would be a natural. vs gameplay against a 3DS version would be awesome. Thats what the 94 mil need, casual online gaming.

rjejr

AuthorMessage
Avatar

rjejr

62. Posted:

fireTV controller now not shipping until May 11, that's over a month away, so somebody must be buying it. Wii U may be ok but probably not a good time to invest in Ouya.

rjejr

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Tasuki

63. Posted:

Thought about getting one for the Bedroom TV (I have a 48" TV in the front room for gaming) to be able to watch streamed stuff like Netflix and Hulu. But they dont seem to have the WWE Network on it so that would be a deal breaker for me. :(

Pushsquare moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

AuthorMessage
Avatar

rjejr

64. Posted:

Reviving this old thread from April b/c Amazon has started promoting the "Fire TV Gamers Edition". I'm not making it up, that's what it's called. At $125 it's $15 cheaper than buying the Fire TV and controller separalty, and it even includes a $5 HDMI cable, displayed prominently in the photo.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M9VWFOM/ref=kin_dps_fbgb

Of course times have changed for Wii U since April - MK8, HW, B2, SBB U and Captain Toad are all either out or dated., and have hardly seen anything about Fire TV since Amazon has been trying hard to get anybody to take a free or 1 cent FirePhone. But Amazon has finally started promoting FireTV as a gaming system package, so I thought I should make note of it. Problem is even with all those games Wii U somehow still isn't selling well, and Amazon still isn't selling Wii U themselves, but honestly Wii U is it's own thing at this point, even if FireTV Gamer's Edition were free I'm not sure it matters, Nintendo just needs to advertise better at this point.

So, anybody know how I can change the thread title to - Amazon Fire TV Gamer's Edition?

rjejr

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Inkling

65. Posted:

"Play blockbuster games like Minecraft - Pocket Edition and Monsters University!"

No

Wiishlist: Splatoon, Mario Maker, Zelda U, Star Fox U, Smash Bros, Captain Toad, Bayonetta 2

Rocking the Wii U, Xbox 360 and 3DS XL, can't wait for the New 3DS

Used to be GamerOZO and Splatom

3DS Friend Code: 4768-7429-4970 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatDude

AuthorMessage
Avatar

VoodooTrumpet

66. Posted:

Nah, bro

She was like a candle in the wind... Unreliable.

Nintendo Network ID: LucienSanchez | Twitter: creepyorcool

AuthorMessage
Avatar

unrandomsam

67. Posted:

I will get one once Sega gets around to updating everything properly (Only because I have all the Sega and most of the Dotemu stuff already bought through Amazon - Rather not have Google dealing with my bank cards at all).

The ports are pretty good generally and getting the same stuff from the Wii U VC (If I could) would cost a fair amount.

“30fps Is Not a Good Artistic Decision, It's a Failure”

AuthorMessage
Avatar

unrandomsam

68. Posted:

They have Final Fantasy III / IV / V - if they get the physical controls added (Ouya and Apple did/are doing so it is not out of the realms of possibility) that won't be too bad.

Doom & Destiny is pretty damn good. (Loads better than say Grinsia).

VVVVVV is £2 instead of £7 and supports physical controls already and is less buggy than the 3DS version.

Sega has
Jet Set Radio
Afterburner Climax (No physical controls at the moment which makes it rubbish)
Crazy Taxi
Super Monkey Ball 2
Sonic CD
Sonic
Sonic 2
Sonic 4 EP1
Sonic 4 EP2
Virtua Tennis Challenge

Dotemu has
Metal Slug / 2 / X / 3
Double Dragon Trilogy (Arcade)
R-Type
R-Type 2
Raiden Legacy
Blazing Star
Little Big Adventure

There is also
GTA III
GTA Vice City
GTA San Andreas
Pinball Arcade (I much prefer it to pinball fx)
Terrania
Thomas was Alone
World of Goo

(Most of the above already supports physical controls).

“30fps Is Not a Good Artistic Decision, It's a Failure”

AuthorMessage
Avatar

PilksUK

69. Posted:

I see this doing well it's just been released on the UK and im already getting people ask my opinion on it as they have seen an advert for it. This never happens with the Wii U.

Gamer edition is a good value bundle and amazon have there own game Dev company so expect first party amazon titles.

Personally I think it will outsell the Wii U in lifetime sales in the UK but it's a very different market here.

PilksUK

3DS Friend Code: 5258-1185-3117 | Nintendo Network ID: PilksUK

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

70. Posted:

Well, it's also competing with PS Vita TV. I know this thread is old and has already been discussed, but anyone who wants a total video game box isn't going to buy this.

I think it's kind of weird that these type of "consoles" are basically just playing mobile games, TBH, because then you can just use a mobile device and stream it to your HDTV by other means. That is, if you really wanted to.

Edited on by SCAR392

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

gage_wolf

71. Posted:

SCAR392 wrote:

Well, it's also competing with PS Vita TV. I know this thread is old and has already been discussed, but anyone who wants a total video game box isn't going to buy this.

I think it's kind of weird that these type of "consoles" are basically just playing mobile games, TBH, because then you can just use a mobile device and stream it to your HDTV by other means. That is, if you really wanted to.

Other than the few premium Nintendo titles that drop about every six months, one could argue that a large portion of the content on the eShop are basically mobile games. I think these things are probably more competition for Nintendo than we'd like to imagine they are. Who is Ninty's console audience now? They lost the core. They lost the casuals. The Nintendo faithful is all that remains, and that shrinks by the year.

gage_wolf

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

72. Posted:

gage_wolf wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

Well, it's also competing with PS Vita TV. I know this thread is old and has already been discussed, but anyone who wants a total video game box isn't going to buy this.

I think it's kind of weird that these type of "consoles" are basically just playing mobile games, TBH, because then you can just use a mobile device and stream it to your HDTV by other means. That is, if you really wanted to.

Other than the few premium Nintendo titles that drop about every six months, one could argue that a large portion of the content on the eShop are basically mobile games. I think these things are probably more competition for Nintendo than we'd like to imagine they are. Who is Ninty's console audience now? They lost the core. They lost the casuals. The Nintendo faithful is all that remains, and that shrinks by the year.

I know Wii U has mobile type games, but that's not all it can run. Once someone wants to run the bigger games available only on one of the big 3 consoles or PC, it doesn't make sense to buy it anymore. It doesn't matter whether Wii U "lost the casuals", because that means PS4 and Xbox One "lost them", too. Sony actually thinks "casuals" are buying PS4 right now, but we all know that isn't happening.

EDIT: Also, "core" gamers are still here. The "core" gamers are the fans of whichever console. If you're not a fan of any console in particular, I would consider that not "core" anymore, but that's my opinion of course.

Edited on by SCAR392

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

unrandomsam

73. Posted:

I would consider the hardcore gamers to be fans of every console or platform who get whatever they need to play what they want. If they are not willing to get a Wii U for Bayonetta 2 and they want it they are no longer hardcore.

“30fps Is Not a Good Artistic Decision, It's a Failure”

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

74. Posted:

unrandomsam wrote:

I would consider the hardcore gamers to be fans of every console or platform who get whatever they need to play what they want. If they are not willing to get a Wii U for Bayonetta 2 and they want it they are no longer hardcore.

Basically this. All the people who are saying that a game that should have been on their preferred platform also/instead are kind of missing the point that that is exactly the reason why they should be considering to buy the platform said game is on, instead of expecting everything to come to them.

If Bayonetta 2 sells bad, we will know roughly how many people didn't buy it, specifically, because it was on Wii U instead of Xbox or PS. That's why alot of the complaining about 3rd party lacks sense, because even if Wii U has/had 3rd party, it's still not enough reason for some people to buy it, anyway. We saw this with how GameCube turned out and the beginning of Wii U's lifespan.

So ya, just expecting games to automatically release on one console or another, depending on your preference, can ultimately lead to not having some games whoever wants. The entire reason why I bought Xbox One was for games like Halo, and other stuff that just shows up on Xbox. Xbox has the exclusives I prefer, as well as most(if not all) of the same 3rd party games PS4 is getting. Having the exclusives I prefer is more important to me than seeing CoD Ghosts run in 1080p.

To bring things more back on topic; Kindle Fire TV is competing primarily with mobile devices and other small boxes that still can't run the big console games, so even if the bigger consoles are still running mobile games, the smaller box consoles are still limited to only mobile. That's the biggest difference. The real question would be what Kindle Fire TV offers that things like PS Vita TV, Apple TV, Chromecast, Roku, and mobile devices can't provide. This is competing with 3DS and PS Vita more than Wii U, because of the type of software it can run.

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

sub12

75. Posted:

Hmm, I don't see Amazon Fire TV or Roku 3 encroaching on the traditional console market in the near term, although I do believe desktop boxes with streaming games are the future (ex, a better Playstation Now type streaming service accessed via a thumb drive into your smart tv)....but Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft still have an edge given their name associations with gaming, IP's and development studios,.....and just having a better grasp on the gaming market as a whole.

But regardless, Fire TV has pretty much fallen silent, at least with the gaming media.

sub12

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Pigeon

76. Posted:

Mytoemytoe wrote:

Amazon: Artsy indie games and platformers.
Nintendo: Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bros. artsy indie games and platformers

To be fair, this has GTA. Grand Theft Auto is arguably better than any Wii U title. Just saying.

Maelstrom wrote:

There is no RPG

Where are the RPGs for Wii U, 2 years into its lifespan? The only one I can think of at the top of my head (Dragon Quest X) is only out in Japan.

Do I think this thing is direct competition? No, not really. Do I think it's better than the Wii U? Not yet. Will I buy one? Nope. But there's no denying the Wii U's isn't far better, and more and more companies are switching to making games for smartphone devices. A lot more than those rushing to make games for the Wii U that's for sure. And whilst the Wii U has a good collection of quality games, I wouldn't say there is a single outstanding game that people would rather be playing than their favourite smart phone game.

Hate to say it, but it's only a matter of time before devices like this surpass the Wii U in terms of quality games, support, variety, and power.

Edited on by Pigeon

Pigeon

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

77. Posted:

@Pigeon
Kindle Fire TV doesn't have the new GTAs. If it did, you might have a point, but we're talking GTA III, Vice, and San Andreas. You might as well tell people to buy a 7th or 8th gen Xbox or PS console, which would play those and more. The Wii U is far better in terms of capability.

Other than that, you're basically right about there being more software and variety, but that variety includes alot of older games that the VC console would allow and the quality is questionable in many cases. I'm not sure if Amazon decided to fully support Google Play Store, but their Kindle Fire store on the original Kindle Fire effing sucked. Those smart phone gamers aren't what people would consider console gamers in the first place, so that isn't even the type of demographic they would be targeting, from the get go. Wii U has the GamePad, which could possibly attract those types of gamers, but it is ultimately more gaming centric than anything a Kindle Fire TV like device could provide. Your statement that devices like this taking over with more powerful hardware has some merit, IMO, but it isn't going to convince a console gamer, which is what it would have to do in order to be direct competition.

Edited on by SCAR392

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Kuhang

78. Posted:

Pigeon wrote:

Mytoemytoe wrote:

Amazon: Artsy indie games and platformers.
Nintendo: Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bros. artsy indie games and platformers

To be fair, this has GTA. Grand Theft Auto is arguably better than any Wii U title. Just saying.

Maelstrom wrote:

There is no RPG

Where are the RPGs for Wii U, 2 years into its lifespan? The only one I can think of at the top of my head (Dragon Quest X) is only out in Japan.

Do I think this thing is direct competition? No, not really. Do I think it's better than the Wii U? Not yet. Will I buy one? Nope. But there's no denying the Wii U's isn't far better, and more and more companies are switching to making games for smartphone devices. A lot more than those rushing to make games for the Wii U that's for sure. And whilst the Wii U has a good collection of quality games, I wouldn't say there is a single outstanding game that people would rather be playing than their favourite smart phone game.

Hate to say it, but it's only a matter of time before devices like this surpass the Wii U in terms of quality games, support, variety, and power.

"To be fair, this has GTA. Grand Theft Auto is arguably better than any Wii U title"

I Dont agree, afterall Wii U has Mario Kart 8 - One of the better games in the series,No mobile racing can beat this experience.I'll bet my Ass on this, DKC : TF, NSMBU - Any platformer in mobile platform forget about FireTV beat these platformers and I'll quit gaming, Lego City Undercover - One of the best lego games around...Pikmin 3,Stealth Inc 2, I can go on...well, atleast for sometime...also the fact that Wii U has Bayonetta 1+2 which argueably is the best Action game ever created.Than you also have 3rd party games like AC 3+4, Splinter Cell, 2 COD's etc etc. So, No. I don't think So.Also GTA games on it are decade old games and outdated and not original to the platform and has been refreshed multiple times and can run even on any outdated PC...and...and...and...Haha

So, do I think it will surpass Wii U in terms of Support? Yes.With comfort. Variety? Yes, By heaps (Poopoodoodoocacapoopledoople load of games...the mini's,shovel wares etc etc). Power? Yes. By the time Wii U hardware is outdated.Quality Of Games? Heck NO! ( ^infinity) few quality games here and there but that would be it.

Edited on by theblackdragon

Kuhang

Nintendo Network ID: Kuhang

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

79. Posted:

Haha. So, 6th gen GTA games are better than the best selling game on PS4 right now?

Like I said, I do think they could compete with consoles on the next go around with better parts for graphics and stuff, but a small box like Kindle Fire TV or any of those other small boxs aren't competing with any bigger console for the time being, and quality will always be a concern on those types of boxes. Kindle Fire TV also has a worse selection than iOS or Android, which is the device this topic is about in the first place.

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

rockodoodle

80. Posted:

GTA better than any Nintendo title? That's pretty ridiculous. Granted, this type of game is of no interest to me, but if you look at reviews for Super Mario 3d World, MK8 and likely Smash Bros. and Bayonetta, they probably receive similar ratings.

Kuhang wrote:

Pigeon wrote:

Mytoemytoe wrote:

Amazon: Artsy indie games and platformers.
Nintendo: Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bros. artsy indie games and platformers

To be fair, this has GTA. Grand Theft Auto is arguably better than any Wii U title. Just saying.

Maelstrom wrote:

There is no RPG

Where are the RPGs for Wii U, 2 years into its lifespan? The only one I can think of at the top of my head (Dragon Quest X) is only out in Japan.

Do I think this thing is direct competition? No, not really. Do I think it's better than the Wii U? Not yet. Will I buy one? Nope. But there's no denying the Wii U's isn't far better, and more and more companies are switching to making games for smartphone devices. A lot more than those rushing to make games for the Wii U that's for sure. And whilst the Wii U has a good collection of quality games, I wouldn't say there is a single outstanding game that people would rather be playing than their favourite smart phone game.

Hate to say it, but it's only a matter of time before devices like this surpass the Wii U in terms of quality games, support, variety, and power.

"To be fair, this has GTA. Grand Theft Auto is arguably better than any Wii U title"

I Dont agree, afterall Wii U has Mario Kart 8 - One of the better games in the series,No mobile racing can beat this experience.I'll bet my Ass on this, DKC : TF, NSMBU - Any platformer in mobile platform forget about FireTV beat these platformers and I'll quit gaming, Lego City Undercover - One of the best lego games around...Pikmin 3,Stealth Inc 2, I can go on...well, atleast for sometime...also the fact that Wii U has Bayonetta 1+2 which argueably is the best Action game ever created.Than you also have 3rd party games like AC 3+4, Splinter Cell, 2 COD's etc etc. So, No. I don't think So.Also GTA games on it are decade old games and outdated and not original to the platform and has been refreshed multiple times and can run even on any outdated PC...and...and...and...Haha

So, do I think it will surpass Wii U in terms of Support? Yes.With comfort. Variety? Yes, By heaps (Poopoodoodoocacapoopledoople load of games...the mini's,shovel wares etc etc). Power? Yes. By the time Wii U hardware is outdated.Quality Of Games? Heck NO! ( ^infinity) few quality games here and there but that would be it.

Edited on by theblackdragon

rockodoodle