Wii U Forum

Topic: After the Wii U, where does Nintendo go from here?

Showing 21 to 40 of 91

AuthorMessage
Avatar

V8_Ninja

21. Posted:

This thread reminds me, what in the world happened to the Wii U? Last I checked, there was some buzz when it was announced and then it completely fell off of the map.

Thanks given to Xkhaoz for that one avatar.
Please contact me before using my custom avatar!
A (Former) Reviewer for Digitally Downloaded.net
My Backloggery, My Anime List, and My Blog
You can email me here.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

shingi_70

22. Posted:

V8_Ninja wrote:

This thread reminds me, what in the world happened to the Wii U? Last I checked, there was some buzz when it was announced and then it completely fell off of the map.

Just comments from devs here and there. Will see some info at GDC and then the Full blow out at E3.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bankai

23. Posted:

I am... wow.

My honest prediction is that Nintendo will be acquired by then. I know the very thought of that brings the fanboys to tears, but the sooner, the better.

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

hatty475

24. Posted:

DVD Support?

Beethoven was right when he said it don't come easy.
Currently Learning: Electric Guitar
Bad Wolf

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bankai

25. Posted:

hatty475 wrote:

DVD Support?

Hey now, let's not get too progressive here.

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

LittleKing

26. Posted:

YellowChocobo wrote:

I am... wow.

My honest prediction is that Nintendo will be acquired by then. I know the very thought of that brings the fanboys to tears, but the sooner, the better.

Agreed. During the N64/GameCube era's Nintendo wasn't doing so hot. I though the Wii was going to flop, but hype and genius marketing along with luck got them through. Now with the Wii U on the horizon, I have to say I think they're not going to make it. The Wii's gimmick (motion control) and marketing to casuals worked that round, but how will it work now? They're largest audience is going to/has put down Wii Fit, and is/will gravitate towards smart-phones and the like. I don't see their tablet controller pulling through. My first reaction to the Wii U was "lolwut" then "No way do I want that." What are they thinking? And then all the people going on about how it's stronger than a PS3. Great an HD Nintendo console... but by the time its out, it'll be half a dozen years late. Then the PS4 or whatever will come out and they'll be screwed. Once again, we'll be getting tech a generation old with nothing but one of the most obnoxious gimmicks to date.

The only thing the Wii Remote was really good for tbh, was the pointer. Everything else I just wished I had a button. Only exceptions are games that use Wii Motion Plus towards the end of the Wii's life, like Resort and Skyward Sword. I just wish Nintendo would stop making hardware already. They should become a software developer exclusively, because it's all they are good at. I don't see any way for Nintendo to survive as it has unless the Wii U is essentially a fluke like the Wii. The name alone makes me want to barf. The "We You"? That has got to be the worst name I've ever heard of for a console. The best thing that's come from it is the "We _____U" jokes.

YellowChocobo wrote:

hatty475 wrote:

DVD Support?

Hey now, let's not get too progressive here.

Love the sarcasm. It's true though.

LittleKing

AuthorMessage
Avatar

shingi_70

27. Posted:

.Third Party.

Edited on by shingi_70

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

AuthorMessage
Avatar

TeeJay

28. Posted:

Link79 wrote:

Why are we even worrying about what's next when Wii U isn't even out yet?
It may not be out for almost a whole year from now.
Take a chill pill man.

You took the words right out of my mouth.

Tumblr Ask Blog: http://ask-aqua-marine-pony.tumblr.com

3DS Friend Code: 2423-1923-3519 | Nintendo Network ID: TeeJay92

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Radixxs

29. Posted:

SnoozerBear wrote:

YellowChocobo wrote:

I am... wow.

My honest prediction is that Nintendo will be acquired by then. I know the very thought of that brings the fanboys to tears, but the sooner, the better.

Agreed. During the N64/GameCube era's Nintendo wasn't doing so hot. I though the Wii was going to flop, but hype and genius marketing along with luck got them through. Now with the Wii U on the horizon, I have to say I think they're not going to make it. The Wii's gimmick (motion control) and marketing to casuals worked that round, but how will it work now? They're largest audience is going to/has put down Wii Fit, and is/will gravitate towards smart-phones and the like. I don't see their tablet controller pulling through. My first reaction to the Wii U was "lolwut" then "No way do I want that." What are they thinking? And then all the people going on about how it's stronger than a PS3. Great an HD Nintendo console... but by the time its out, it'll be half a dozen years late. Then the PS4 or whatever will come out and they'll be screwed. Once again, we'll be getting tech a generation old with nothing but one of the most obnoxious gimmicks to date.

The only thing the Wii Remote was really good for tbh, was the pointer. Everything else I just wished I had a button. Only exceptions are games that use Wii Motion Plus towards the end of the Wii's life, like Resort and Skyward Sword. I just wish Nintendo would stop making hardware already. They should become a software developer exclusively, because it's all they are good at. I don't see any way for Nintendo to survive as it has unless the Wii U is essentially a fluke like the Wii. The name alone makes me want to barf. The "We You"? That has got to be the worst name I've ever heard of for a console. The best thing that's come from it is the "We _____U" jokes.

Ah, I see we have our own prophet! Please, will you do us the pleasure of telling us what else will occur in the next few years? Perhaps you can even through in some sort of Apocalypse!

Oh well, at least we know you can jump on a bandwagon.

I've got the body of a taut, pre-teen Swedish boy.
Covers & Korg DS-10 Originals.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Xiao_Pai

30. Posted:

Wii U64.

I love Erica (Strike Witches), Eureka (Eureka Seven), and Tenma (School Rumble), stay away from them. xD
Update: Also love Yukari and Mizore from Rosario + Vampire.
Another Update: Also Yuuki...from School Rumble...
Yet Another Update: Also Amber and Xiao Pai from Rune Factory 4.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

LittleKing

31. Posted:

Radixxs wrote:

SnoozerBear wrote:

YellowChocobo wrote:

I am... wow.

My honest prediction is that Nintendo will be acquired by then. I know the very thought of that brings the fanboys to tears, but the sooner, the better.

Agreed. During the N64/GameCube era's Nintendo wasn't doing so hot. I though the Wii was going to flop, but hype and genius marketing along with luck got them through. Now with the Wii U on the horizon, I have to say I think they're not going to make it. The Wii's gimmick (motion control) and marketing to casuals worked that round, but how will it work now? They're largest audience is going to/has put down Wii Fit, and is/will gravitate towards smart-phones and the like. I don't see their tablet controller pulling through. My first reaction to the Wii U was "lolwut" then "No way do I want that." What are they thinking? And then all the people going on about how it's stronger than a PS3. Great an HD Nintendo console... but by the time its out, it'll be half a dozen years late. Then the PS4 or whatever will come out and they'll be screwed. Once again, we'll be getting tech a generation old with nothing but one of the most obnoxious gimmicks to date.

The only thing the Wii Remote was really good for tbh, was the pointer. Everything else I just wished I had a button. Only exceptions are games that use Wii Motion Plus towards the end of the Wii's life, like Resort and Skyward Sword. I just wish Nintendo would stop making hardware already. They should become a software developer exclusively, because it's all they are good at. I don't see any way for Nintendo to survive as it has unless the Wii U is essentially a fluke like the Wii. The name alone makes me want to barf. The "We You"? That has got to be the worst name I've ever heard of for a console. The best thing that's come from it is the "We _____U" jokes.

Ah, I see we have our own prophet! Please, will you do us the pleasure of telling us what else will occur in the next few years? Perhaps you can even through in some sort of Apocalypse!

Oh well, at least we know you can jump on a bandwagon.

Oh well, at least we know you dislike people having their own opinions. So, apparently, if one's opinion is similar to that of many others', the reason itself that it is their opinion is because it is a popular one? Surely, it cannot be, I actually thought it through and came to that conclusion? No, that is completely absurd.

But this is Nintendo Life, perhaps here I am playing the Devil's Advocate inadvertently. Until relatively recently, I played exclusively Nintendo consoles. I love Nintendo. I've played Nintendo games my whole life. However, I don't see how it will succeed this next generation. Maybe it'll survive, barely, maybe it'll do as well as it did with the Wii. I think most likely, Nintendo won't make it. I just don't see how. And if not this generation, maybe next generation it'll flop. Is my opinion offensive? I'm so sorry. One thing you have to admit, the Wii is last gen tech. Nintendo basically took the GameCube and repackaged it with Motion controls. Don't get me wrong, though, I loved, and still love, the 'Cube. Now, we might get the same thing. I have to admit, the Wii U doesn't look bad right now technologically, but by the time it comes out and its competitors are announced...? We'll see.

Maybe I forgot a huge "IMO" at the end of my previous post. Maybe I sounded a little... harsh. Arrogant. Conceited? No matter what, I'd appreciate if you logically refuted whatever points I may have made/made and supported your own, different, opinion instead of what you said. I'm not fond of dry, sarcastic jabs. I am sorry if in any way I was offensive enough to draw out such a response from you. It's not that I dislike Nintendo, or its software. It's just I don't like its hardware at all recently, the Wii U has done nothing to change that, and I don't see Nintendo doing as well as it did with the Wii again. I'm not God, I'll admit I might be wrong. Hell, I'll even admit I'm probably wrong if that makes you feel better. But next time, try to be nicer and maybe a tad bit more mature. It's my opinion, my view... my reaction to the Wii U. I'm not stating it's fact, or that it's everyone's opinion, and most importantly, you don't have to agree.

Edited on by LittleKing

LittleKing

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bankai

32. Posted:

Radixxs wrote:

SnoozerBear wrote:

YellowChocobo wrote:

I am... wow.

My honest prediction is that Nintendo will be acquired by then. I know the very thought of that brings the fanboys to tears, but the sooner, the better.

Agreed. During the N64/GameCube era's Nintendo wasn't doing so hot. I though the Wii was going to flop, but hype and genius marketing along with luck got them through. Now with the Wii U on the horizon, I have to say I think they're not going to make it. The Wii's gimmick (motion control) and marketing to casuals worked that round, but how will it work now? They're largest audience is going to/has put down Wii Fit, and is/will gravitate towards smart-phones and the like. I don't see their tablet controller pulling through. My first reaction to the Wii U was "lolwut" then "No way do I want that." What are they thinking? And then all the people going on about how it's stronger than a PS3. Great an HD Nintendo console... but by the time its out, it'll be half a dozen years late. Then the PS4 or whatever will come out and they'll be screwed. Once again, we'll be getting tech a generation old with nothing but one of the most obnoxious gimmicks to date.

The only thing the Wii Remote was really good for tbh, was the pointer. Everything else I just wished I had a button. Only exceptions are games that use Wii Motion Plus towards the end of the Wii's life, like Resort and Skyward Sword. I just wish Nintendo would stop making hardware already. They should become a software developer exclusively, because it's all they are good at. I don't see any way for Nintendo to survive as it has unless the Wii U is essentially a fluke like the Wii. The name alone makes me want to barf. The "We You"? That has got to be the worst name I've ever heard of for a console. The best thing that's come from it is the "We _____U" jokes.

Ah, I see we have our own prophet! Please, will you do us the pleasure of telling us what else will occur in the next few years? Perhaps you can even through in some sort of Apocalypse!

Oh well, at least we know you can jump on a bandwagon.

Nah, I'm no prophet. I'm just making a qualified assessment based on Nintendo's position in the market. Time will tell if I'm right. But I've been right about this kind of stuff in the past.

Sorry to disappoint, but I won't be able to provide a prediction about the apocalypse. I'm not very qualified in that matter.

Edited on by Bankai

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Adam

33. Posted:

I think they should go to the moon.

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

LordTendoboy

34. Posted:

Nintendo's position in the market? Nintendo has been in much worse, and they still pushed on, despite the legions of anti-Nintendo fanboys and media betting against them. I remember back during the N64 and GameCube eras when the media was saying that they should "pull a Sega" and exit the console market, becoming a 3rd-party developer. Then the Wii came along and put the company back on top for a few years.

If it wasn't for the Wii and DS, Nintendo would have been dead long ago. Iwata said a few years ago that when Nintendo stops making hardware is the day they exit the videogame industry altogether. Here's a nice article I found that better explains the company's famous legacy of stubbornness: http://www.geekosystem.com/nintendo-stubborn/

Yes the 3DS is struggling, but there's no guarantee that the Vita will do any better. Both Nintendo and Sony are taking huge risks in the middle of an oversaturated smartphone/tablet-gaming market. But there is no reason the two devices can't coexist together. The PC gaming market is still thriving, even though consoles are (arguably) more popular. One device doesn't have to monopolize the market, there's plenty of room for consoles, handhelds, PC's, and mobile devices. It's called giving consumers variety and choice, that's the basis of a free market.

With the Wii U, Nintendo is trying to appeal to the mainstream consumer that loves "mobile gaming". This is probably the first time they've ever directly targeted a specific type of consumer. People love simplicity, and the Wii U combines what traditional gamers love (buttons, analog controls) and what casual gamers love (touchscreen controls, accessibility), offering a "best of both worlds" type of gaming experience.

Despite all the people betting against them, Nintendo might prove (ONCE AGAIN) that they can still be relevant in the console/handheld industry. Never underestimate Nintendo, that's one of the golden rules of the gaming industry.

If you want to make a rebuttal, then fine, but I'm done arguing my OPINION on the matter.

Edited on by LordTendoboy

3DS Friend Code (NEW) 4597-0176-3500
Minis March Again (NEW) 2323-0441-2739
Mini-Land Mayhem (NEW) 5071-8232-0670
Wii Friend Code 5519-8046-0668-6068
Smash Bros. Brawl 1893-2412-4594
PSN ID PS_man1984

AuthorMessage
Avatar

RogueBologna

35. Posted:

They should go to Space: the final frontier!

3DS Friend Code: 4768-7445-0519

AuthorMessage
Avatar

komicturtle

36. Posted:

Nintendo will acquire Apple.

komicturtle

AuthorMessage
Avatar

LordTendoboy

37. Posted:

KomicZ wrote:

Nintendo will acquire Apple.

Other way around. Apple could really benefit from Nintendo's characters and franchises, and then they will finally have their own game studio.

3DS Friend Code (NEW) 4597-0176-3500
Minis March Again (NEW) 2323-0441-2739
Mini-Land Mayhem (NEW) 5071-8232-0670
Wii Friend Code 5519-8046-0668-6068
Smash Bros. Brawl 1893-2412-4594
PSN ID PS_man1984

AuthorMessage
Avatar

komicturtle

38. Posted:

Hey, if Microsoft couldn't buy Nintendo back then when they were "struggling", I highly doubt Apple can when Nintendo has been prospering from the sales of Wii and Ds for the past 5-7 years.

In case: Microsoft originally thought "We are either going to buy out Nintendo or make our own system", with their initial sights set on Nintendo.

True story. You can look up "History of Xbox" to see. Pretty cool how things went down and brings back good memories :3

komicturtle

AuthorMessage
Avatar

LordTendoboy

39. Posted:

KomicZ wrote:

Hey, if Microsoft couldn't buy Nintendo back then when they were "struggling", I highly doubt Apple can when Nintendo has been prospering from the sales of Wii and Ds for the past 5-7 years.

In case: Microsoft originally thought "We are either going to buy out Nintendo or make our own system", with their initial sights set on Nintendo.

True story. You can look up "History of Xbox" to see. Pretty cool how things went down and brings back good memories :3

I thought Microsoft wanted to buy out Sega? Microsoft helped design the OS for the Dreamcast, and the Xbox controller was a direct copy of the Dreamcast controller.

3DS Friend Code (NEW) 4597-0176-3500
Minis March Again (NEW) 2323-0441-2739
Mini-Land Mayhem (NEW) 5071-8232-0670
Wii Friend Code 5519-8046-0668-6068
Smash Bros. Brawl 1893-2412-4594
PSN ID PS_man1984

AuthorMessage
Avatar

komicturtle

40. Posted:

Yes, Microsoft did work on the OS of the Dreamcast (on the front of the system, it says Powered by Windows CE), but no- Microsoft wanted to buy out Nintendo, but they refused and apparently a rep said "We're not for sale." Not sure if that's true, but yeah, MS did want Nintendo. Hey, I don't blame 'em. But MS is doing fine... for now.

Next gen, I see MS struggling because they rely too heavily on 3rd parties. Sony is buying out all these 3rd party- now 1st and second to made exclusive games for them and Sony's first party is only getting stronger. Nintendo has plenty of 1st party and 2nd party studios and if the 3rd parties are on board, it's going to be one interesting competition :P

komicturtle