Forums

Topic: "Acheivements" on the Wii U

Posts 101 to 120 of 146

shingi_70

CanisWolfred wrote:

Yeah, achievements are work, but as far as game development goes, they're practically peanuts as far as I can tell. I like that Nintendo isn't forcing it on developers, but you'd think more developers would be doing it anyways just because it'd give their games more life, even if it's just for a few people who bother with it, that the system would easily make up for the added development costs. Having a unified system would make it that much easier for the developers, too, as well as motivate more people to do them, which could lead to more sales, if only for it to mean the difference between a weekend rental and full-time purchase for some people.

Is it being forced on developers when they'll most likely be making them for the other three platforms (Playstation/steam/xbox).

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

rallydefault

What about just giving a badge or something to your ID when you complete a game? Nothing else, just one badge per game as a nice little way to show others what games you've completed. Simple, sweet, and still gives you that little bit of accomplishment that you can show off to others if that is how you operate.

rallydefault

CanisWolfred

^That's what stuff like backloggery is for, man. I'd prefer a full on achievement system so people can see what you've done and how far you've actually gotten.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

rallydefault

@CanisWolfred

What is backloggery? Sorry, I'm off to play some AC:Brotherhood and I'm going to admit to being lazy and not searching the thread lol

rallydefault

rallydefault

Awesome! Looks kinda cool. I'm gonna check this out after my epic play session that I'm in the midst of lol

rallydefault

Epicnessofme99

Unlockables, much better than achievements. We've had these for a while.

Nintendo Network ID: Epicnessofme Feel free to add me :D
3DS Friend Code: 0387-9343-5065

Nintendo Network ID: Epicnessofme

shingi_70

Epicnessofme99 wrote:

Unlockables, much better than achievements. We've had these for a while.

But in most other games Unloackables are tied to achievements in the first place.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

milkman910

Please NO! They ruin the experience IMO. Playing on PS3 I felt like it took me out of the experience.

milkman910

CanisWolfred

milkman910 wrote:

Please NO! They ruin the experience IMO. Playing on PS3 I felt like it took me out of the experience.

You can turn off the pop-ups. Not that it matters, is it really so distracting that a 2 second pop-up can literally ruin the entire experience for you, instead of simply distracting you for all of 2 seconds, and then your attention is back on the game? If so, I think they have pills for that...

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

DefHalan

CanisWolfred wrote:

milkman910 wrote:

You can turn off the pop-ups. Not that it matters, is it really so distracting that a 2 second pop-up can literally ruin the entire experience for you, instead of simply distracting you for all of 2 seconds, and then your attention is back on the game? If so, I think they have pills for that...

It is a type of OCD. When you see that Achievement pop-up your brain tells you there is a certain way to play, then you look at the other achievements and change the way you want to play in order to maximize the amount of achievements you get. This can lead you down a path of planning your entire playthrough around getting certain achievement and in turn destroying the gameplay. I have seen this happen to many people and have experienced this myself. That is how achievements can destroy gameplay, by controlling a players actions

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

SCRAPPER392

@DefHalen
I just figure I'm never going to try and unlock them, so why bother having them be there at all.

I used to try and "Achieve" parts of the game, but it was mainly grinding in one way or another.
i.e. The zombie kill count in Dead Rising, or online matchmaking BS goals in almost every game.

Play coins are a better option. Plus, I think Nintendo said themselves, that they don't really want to do online ranking or scores, because it steers people away from enjoying the game for what it is, more times than not.

EDIT: http://kotaku.com/5740114/a-nintendo-argument-against-achieve...

There was a discussion about Smash Bros. at an earlier time, also, but this pretty much confirms Nintendo doesn't give a f*** about a score, and it's 2011 to boot. I knew I've heard this before, and this link proves it.

EDIT2: Here's more info confirming a play coin type interface will eventually arrive. Just skim the article, and you'll find it.
http://kotaku.com/5917363/better-friend-codes-achievements-an...

It also answers tons of concerns "doom and gloomers" constantly bring up, like multi-touch.

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

8BitSamurai

@DefHalan
With all due respect, why should nobody be allowed to have achievements because a small minority of players feel the need to use an optional feature? Achievements are a win/neutral at worst. Anybody who wants them gets to have more replay value in games, and anybody who doesn't can keep playing games like they used to.

Edited on by 8BitSamurai

"rare download" Assistant

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6175-1689 | Nintendo Network ID: 8BitSamurai

SCRAPPER392

8BitSamurai wrote:

@DefHalan
With all due respect, why should nobody be allowed to have achievements because a small minority of players feel the need to use an optional feature? Achievements are a win/neutral at worst. Anybody who wants them gets to have more replay value in games, and anybody who doesn't can keep playing games like they used to.

You should read my post. Nintendo confirmed literally years ago, that they aren't gonna do it.

These types of answers from Nintendo themselves, is why Nintendo fans hate answering BS questions and speculation on Nintendo forums.
The questions are BS, because they already have answers.

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

8BitSamurai

@SCAR392
Reggie just said "That's not our philosophy." I don't really see why Nintendo won't add them eventually, as long as gamers keep asking for it. It definitely wouldn't be the first time, that's for sure, that a company has "changed their philosophy" on such a matter.

MAB

Buying a WiiU is the greatest acheivement you could ever bestow upon yourself

MAB

SCRAPPER392

8BitSamurai wrote:

@SCAR392
Reggie just said "That's not our philosophy." I don't really see why Nintendo won't add them eventually, as long as gamers keep asking for it. It definitely wouldn't be the first time, that's for sure, that a company has "changed their philosophy" on such a matter.

Gamers asked for achievements LONG before PS3 even thought of trophies, Xbox 360 delivered. The article already confirms a play coin type system wide unlock system is being worked on, just like what has already been done with the 3DS.

I understand that some people want trophies and stuff, but there's also alot of people that would rather not have them, and would enjoy Nintendo consoles more if they had an alternative equivalent. It's called play coins.

The name of the company that added achievements, "because gamers asked", is Sony.

I don't get how you're not reading the articles for what they say.

The articles I linked remind me why "doom and gloom" and stupid questions are so hated in Nintendo communities in the first place. Nintendo fans already know why Nintendo does what they do.

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

DefHalan

8BitSamurai wrote:

@DefHalan

If it has the ability to destroy gameplay then why would I want it in my game? Even if it is optional for players, if the game tries to control the way the player plays then how is that good? Part of what makes games so much fun, at least for me, is discovery and achievements, imo, trade the sense of discovery for the sense of victory. Wanting Achievements is a personal manner but I am against mandatory (for developers) achievements. If a developer thinks achievements make their game better than they can put them in, if a developer thinks achievements may hurt their game's experience then they don't have to tack them on. Isn't that a better way to do Achievements?

Edited on by DefHalan

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

kkslider5552000

The only, I wouldn't even say good but worth caring about, achievements are in Xenoblade, and that's because you actually get something for achieving them.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

8BitSamurai

@SCAR392
What I said before still applies. As achievements become more and more standard in game systems (heck, even Steam has achievements now), and gamers keep asking for it, Nintendo would be very foolish not to eventually concede and give something resembling trophies or XBL achievements, though maybe with a Nintendo twist. But, now I really am not trying to offend or be rude now, considering the debates I see you with on these boards, I really don't want to debate with you. I really, really am not trying to be rude, but I'm just not gonna do it. Sorry.

@DefHalan
Again, my previous posts still apply. You're making them ruin the game. Even the most diehard hater of achievements has a perfectly good option just to simply ignore them and play games like they always have. Also as stated before (not even just by me), there is no way mandatory achievements are going to hurt games or game designers. Achievements are simply lists of in-game accomplishments, that with a universal system infrastructure, add replay value and reward to many, many gamers. The work that they add to development is absolute child's play when compared to everything else they have to add into the game.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.