Wii U Forum

Topic: According to Nintendo World Report, the Wii U is doing significantly worse than GCN.

Showing 41 to 60 of 84

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Captain_Toad

41. Posted:

Heh, at least i know one thing. It's doing better than the xbox one right now. Yes, they need to do better at marketing, though at this point, I'm caring less and less about the sales figures that the sales market is unpredictable in time till the next gen ends it's lifecycle.

Edited on by Captain_Toad

Was Mariobro4. No, I'm not taking off my backpack.....it's important.
Toadloggery and a Youtube Channel
Retro Clue!
Games are games ppl. Enjoy 'em.
Remember N64 Turoks? Want it on VC?
I gave in to darkness to have this bio.
Net neutrality is dead. Pls use revive.
Bad day? listen to this.

3DS Friend Code: 3566-2311-3009 | Nintendo Network ID: Mariobro4

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Dreamz

42. Posted:

KingKoopa1982 wrote:

Seeing numbers like this is always disappointing, but I don't really even pay attention anymore. The fact is that I love my Wii U. I have a ton of great games for it and I'm very happy with it. Sales figures don't interest me. There's nothing in these articles that we don't already know. So, just enjoy your console!

This is what I've been doing. I don't care about popularity contests; I left that sort of nonsense behind in high school. What I do care about is having fun games, and the Wii U has that. My biggest concern with this is just that Nintendo will panic and try to copy Sony and MS by focusing on raw power over raw fun.

My 3rd Party Games List: Click here
U-Wishlist: Bayonetta, Splatoon, Zelda U
Currently playing: Wonderful101

AuthorMessage
Avatar

sub12

43. Posted:

Captain_Toad wrote:

Heh, at least i know one thing. It's doing better than the xbox one right now. Yes, they need to do better at marketing, though at this point, I'm caring less and less about the sales figures that the sales market is unpredictable in time till the next gen ends it's lifecycle.

Xbox One is past the 5 million mark, so it's not trailing the Wii U by much.

sub12

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bolt_Strike

44. Posted:

sub12 wrote:

Captain_Toad wrote:

Heh, at least i know one thing. It's doing better than the xbox one right now. Yes, they need to do better at marketing, though at this point, I'm caring less and less about the sales figures that the sales market is unpredictable in time till the next gen ends it's lifecycle.

Xbox One is past the 5 million mark, so it's not trailing the Wii U by much.

Also when you take into account the fact that the Wii U has been out a year longer, the Xbox One is actually doing better than the Wii U, by the time the Xbox One reaches the same point in its life cycle the Wii U is, it'll probably at least pass 10-15 million.

Bolt_Strike

3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bolt_Strike

45. Posted:

sub12 wrote:

Captain_Toad wrote:

Heh, at least i know one thing. It's doing better than the xbox one right now. Yes, they need to do better at marketing, though at this point, I'm caring less and less about the sales figures that the sales market is unpredictable in time till the next gen ends it's lifecycle.

Xbox One is past the 5 million mark, so it's not trailing the Wii U by much.

Also when you take into account the fact that the Wii U has been out a year longer, the Xbox One is actually doing better than the Wii U, by the time the Xbox One reaches the same point in its life cycle the Wii U is, it'll probably at least pass 10-15 million.

Bolt_Strike

3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

AuthorMessage
Avatar

rockodoodle

46. Posted:

MSFT said in its last report that they had sold 5m consoles to retailers- and weren't all that clear as to how many were sold to consumers. It has been mentioned that it might slow down or even halt production.

Bolt_Strike wrote:

sub12 wrote:

Captain_Toad wrote:

Heh, at least i know one thing. It's doing better than the xbox one right now. Yes, they need to do better at marketing, though at this point, I'm caring less and less about the sales figures that the sales market is unpredictable in time till the next gen ends it's lifecycle.

Xbox One is past the 5 million mark, so it's not trailing the Wii U by much.

Also when you take into account the fact that the Wii U has been out a year longer, the Xbox One is actually doing better than the Wii U, by the time the Xbox One reaches the same point in its life cycle the Wii U is, it'll probably at least pass 10-15 million.

rockodoodle

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Imagamerboi

47. Posted:

This is sad considering how much I love the system and all the fantastic games that will be coming very soon

UPDATE: Bowser just ate some cake and it was yummy

AuthorMessage
Avatar

kkslider5552000

48. Posted:

sub12 wrote:

Captain_Toad wrote:

Heh, at least i know one thing. It's doing better than the xbox one right now. Yes, they need to do better at marketing, though at this point, I'm caring less and less about the sales figures that the sales market is unpredictable in time till the next gen ends it's lifecycle.

Xbox One is past the 5 million mark, so it's not trailing the Wii U by much.

I like how 30 seconds of Google is all I need to find out it's less than 5 million

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

I have a Let's Play channel? How?!: https://www.youtube.com/user/SliderGamer55/videos

AuthorMessage
Avatar

unrandomsam

49. Posted:

Dreamz wrote:

KingKoopa1982 wrote:

Seeing numbers like this is always disappointing, but I don't really even pay attention anymore. The fact is that I love my Wii U. I have a ton of great games for it and I'm very happy with it. Sales figures don't interest me. There's nothing in these articles that we don't already know. So, just enjoy your console!

This is what I've been doing. I don't care about popularity contests; I left that sort of nonsense behind in high school. What I do care about is having fun games, and the Wii U has that. My biggest concern with this is just that Nintendo will panic and try to copy Sony and MS by focusing on raw power over raw fun.

Problem is everything is a sequel and the most fun for me comes from something new that at the start you get game over within 2/3 mins (But enjoy it massively from start to finish). Get better slowly but surely and only even finish it if you really like it. (Much rather have some left than not have enough of reasonable challenge). Really against tutorials and cutscenes as well. (Don't mind a manual if necessary). None 60fps framerates don't work properly on my plasma tv either.

More lost levels type sequels might do it. (Cost basically nothing to make but last a long time). I don't like collectables (Means you have to play slowly which I don't like). Don't mind having to finish something very fast and perfectly in order to unlock stuff.

Need 10 Wii U games I really want - At the moment there is 2 - Sonic Lost World (Maybe I don't want it that much but I will buy it because I liked Generations loads more than I expected to and I got it dirt cheap) and Tropical Freeze. (There is others I will get but I won't count them towards the total. I got the 3DS a year early and regretted it).

“30fps Is Not a Good Artistic Decision, It's a Failure”

AuthorMessage
Avatar

skywake

50. Posted:

Bolt_Strike wrote:

Also when you take into account the fact that the Wii U has been out a year longer, the Xbox One is actually doing better than the Wii U, by the time the Xbox One reaches the same point in its life cycle the Wii U is, it'll probably at least pass 10-15 million.

It's not that simple. The Wii U was at ~3mill at the equivalent point in time and the XBOne is currently sitting at ~4.5mill. Not that far from each other really. The size of a launch isn't that good a predictor of what the sales will be a year later. The Wii U launch wasn't spectacular but it wasn't horrible. It was the 12 months after it where things started to turn sour.

Also worth noting that the Wii U has a unique position in the market, it's the only place you can get Nintendo's stuffs. They also have two of their flagship titles coming out this year as well as two fairly compelling exclusives. In comparison the XBOne is a second-class third party "core gamer" box that's being smashed by the PS4 right now. Why would you get a XBOne for the newest Assassin's Creed when the PS4 is doing so well? Don't be surprised if by this time next year the XBOne is still under 10mill as the Wii U starts to consistently outsell it.

Edited on by skywake

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Caryslan

51. Posted:

skywake wrote:

Bolt_Strike wrote:

Also when you take into account the fact that the Wii U has been out a year longer, the Xbox One is actually doing better than the Wii U, by the time the Xbox One reaches the same point in its life cycle the Wii U is, it'll probably at least pass 10-15 million.

It's not that simple. The Wii U was at ~3mill at the equivalent point in time and the XBOne is currently sitting at ~4.5mill. Not that far from each other really. The size of a launch isn't that good a predictor of what the sales will be a year later. The Wii U launch wasn't spectacular but it wasn't horrible. It was the 12 months after it where things started to turn sour.

Also worth noting that the Wii U has a unique position in the market, it's the only place you can get Nintendo's stuffs. They also have two of their flagship titles coming out this year as well as two fairly compelling exclusives. In comparison the XBOne is a second-class third party "core gamer" box that's being smashed by the PS4 right now. Why would you get a XBOne for the newest Assassin's Creed when the PS4 is doing so well? Don't be surprised if by this time next year the XBOne is still under 10mill as the Wii U starts to consistently outsell it.

The only thing that might help the Xbox One hold off Nintendo and have a fighting chance of catching up to Sony is Halo 5. Halo is pretty much the only gun Microsoft has that would be bigger than Smash Bros and anything Sony could put out this year,

The problem is, would Halo 5 be enough? Microsoft has burned alot of bridges with their attitude, and many gamers are simply going to Sony, PC, and even Nintendo's platforms. Plus, Halo 5 is the only thing that the Xbox One has going for it right now. Titanfall could have been a major exclusive, but it being on the Xbox 360 version kinda softened the impact that game could have made, since many people likely opted for the Xbox 360 version.

Thing is, Microsoft has alot more to lose than Nintendo does if Sony is the market leader. Nintendo beats to its own drum, and I think given time, a price drop and Nintendo's exclusives will make the Wii U attractive as a secondary console for PS4 owners. With the Xbox One, what is the incentive to pick it over the PS4 unless you're a Halo fan?

Outside of Halo, Gears, Forza, and Fable, what does Microsoft have? They have the weakest first-party lineup out of the big three. Sony has stepped up their game in recent years, and has had hits in the form of Uncharted, The Last of Us, God of War, Killzone, MLB: The Show, Little Big Planet and other franchises. Of course, Nintendo's first-party lineup is still as good as ever.

But Microsoft has relied on the same four IPs for years now, and as Super Mario 3D World showed, just because a IP is successful, does not mean it will be enough to turn around a system.n
Somehow, I don't see Halo 5 having the same kind of hype that the previous Halo games had. Which means unless Microsoft has something big planned as a surprise at E3, Halo 5 will be what they bet the farm on this year.

And somehow, I think Microsoft may end up losing out this year. Nintendo will likely carve a nice second place with Smash bros and Mario Kart, while the PS4 will keep selling.

For the past few years, Microsoft has been losing all the momentum they gained with the early success of the Xbox 360. Sony has closed the gap in sales between the PS3 and Xbox 360, and the PS4 is the leader over the Xbox One. I don't see that trend reversing anytime soon.

I don't see things reversing in Microsoft's favor.

Edited on by Caryslan

Caryslan

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bolt_Strike

52. Posted:

Caryslan wrote:

skywake wrote:

Bolt_Strike wrote:

Also when you take into account the fact that the Wii U has been out a year longer, the Xbox One is actually doing better than the Wii U, by the time the Xbox One reaches the same point in its life cycle the Wii U is, it'll probably at least pass 10-15 million.

It's not that simple. The Wii U was at ~3mill at the equivalent point in time and the XBOne is currently sitting at ~4.5mill. Not that far from each other really. The size of a launch isn't that good a predictor of what the sales will be a year later. The Wii U launch wasn't spectacular but it wasn't horrible. It was the 12 months after it where things started to turn sour.

Also worth noting that the Wii U has a unique position in the market, it's the only place you can get Nintendo's stuffs. They also have two of their flagship titles coming out this year as well as two fairly compelling exclusives. In comparison the XBOne is a second-class third party "core gamer" box that's being smashed by the PS4 right now. Why would you get a XBOne for the newest Assassin's Creed when the PS4 is doing so well? Don't be surprised if by this time next year the XBOne is still under 10mill as the Wii U starts to consistently outsell it.

The only thing that might help the Xbox One hold off Nintendo and have a fighting chance of catching up to Sony is Halo 5. Halo is pretty much the only gun Microsoft has that would be bigger than Smash Bros and anything Sony could put out this year,

The problem is, would Halo 5 be enough? Microsoft has burned alot of bridges with their attitude, and many gamers are simply going to Sony, PC, and even Nintendo's platforms. Plus, Halo 5 is the only thing that the Xbox One has going for it right now. Titanfall could have been a major exclusive, but it being on the Xbox 360 version kinda softened the impact that game could have made, since many people likely opted for the Xbox 360 version.

Thing is, Microsoft has alot more to lose than Nintendo does if Sony is the market leader. Nintendo beats to its own drum, and I think given time, a price drop and Nintendo's exclusives will make the Wii U attractive as a secondary console for PS4 owners. With the Xbox One, what is the incentive to pick it over the PS4 unless you're a Halo fan?

Outside of Halo, Gears, Forza, and Fable, what does Microsoft have? They have the weakest first-party lineup out of the big three. Sony has stepped up their game in recent years, and has had hits in the form of Uncharted, The Last of Us, God of War, Killzone, MLB: The Show, Little Big Planet and other franchises. Of course, Nintendo's first-party lineup is still as good as ever.

But Microsoft has relied on the same four IPs for years now, and as Super Mario 3D World showed, just because a IP is successful, does not mean it will be enough to turn around a system.n
Somehow, I don't see Halo 5 having the same kind of hype that the previous Halo games had. Which means unless Microsoft has something big planned as a surprise at E3, Halo 5 will be what they bet the farm on this year.

And somehow, I think Microsoft may end up losing out this year. Nintendo will likely carve a nice second place with Smash bros and Mario Kart, while the PS4 will keep selling.

For the past few years, Microsoft has been losing all the momentum they gained with the early success of the Xbox 360. Sony has closed the gap in sales between the PS3 and Xbox 360, and the PS4 is the leader over the Xbox One. I don't see that trend reversing anytime soon.

I don't see things reversing in Microsoft's favor.

This is a very good point actually, Microsoft's lineup of exclusives is typically pretty mediocre and unvaried, certainly not enough to compete with Nintendo and Sony who have nearly every genre cornered. Microsoft is missing some IPs in a few key genres like platforming and RPGs, which could generate more interest in the Xbox brand. But like it or not they have more mainstream appeal than Nintendo does, they have plenty of shooters, and that's the most popular genre on the market right now, plus they have good advertising. So I think Microsoft has a better chance of taking second simply because they're more in tune with what the industry as a whole wants than Nintendo. The only way I can see Nintendo remaining in second is if they bring their A game with their software lineup to E3 this year, I'm talking Mario Galaxy levels of innovation. Mario Kart 8 and Smash are nice and all, but I don't think they're going to be enough to entice people to buy a Wii U.

Bolt_Strike

3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

AuthorMessage
Avatar

JimLad

53. Posted:

Reala wrote:

Its the poor 3DS I feel sorry for, the wii u is failing so yeah it is obvious they would turn their attention to it, but at the same time I think its a lame duck personally; though its either stick with the lame duck or cut your losses, and the wii u owners I'm sure would appreciate them sticking with it, 3DS's new releases are starting to look pretty barren though, just not sure its a worthwhile trade off at least that's how I feel.

I believe the 3DS is a big part of the reason the Wii U is where it is. Ever since it was released Nintendo's home console efforts have taken a massive hit. I think they got so wrapped up in their own battle with the Vita in Japan they've been blinded to the rest of the world.
I agree with you though, at this point it would be smart to cut the losses on one of them. Sadly that looks like Wii U.

Edited on by JimLad

JimLad

AuthorMessage
Avatar

memoryman3

54. Posted:

Caryslan wrote:

skywake wrote:

Bolt_Strike wrote:

Also when you take into account the fact that the Wii U has been out a year longer, the Xbox One is actually doing better than the Wii U, by the time the Xbox One reaches the same point in its life cycle the Wii U is, it'll probably at least pass 10-15 million.

It's not that simple. The Wii U was at ~3mill at the equivalent point in time and the XBOne is currently sitting at ~4.5mill. Not that far from each other really. The size of a launch isn't that good a predictor of what the sales will be a year later. The Wii U launch wasn't spectacular but it wasn't horrible. It was the 12 months after it where things started to turn sour.

Also worth noting that the Wii U has a unique position in the market, it's the only place you can get Nintendo's stuffs. They also have two of their flagship titles coming out this year as well as two fairly compelling exclusives. In comparison the XBOne is a second-class third party "core gamer" box that's being smashed by the PS4 right now. Why would you get a XBOne for the newest Assassin's Creed when the PS4 is doing so well? Don't be surprised if by this time next year the XBOne is still under 10mill as the Wii U starts to consistently outsell it.

The only thing that might help the Xbox One hold off Nintendo and have a fighting chance of catching up to Sony is Halo 5. Halo is pretty much the only gun Microsoft has that would be bigger than Smash Bros and anything Sony could put out this year,

The problem is, would Halo 5 be enough? Microsoft has burned alot of bridges with their attitude, and many gamers are simply going to Sony, PC, and even Nintendo's platforms. Plus, Halo 5 is the only thing that the Xbox One has going for it right now. Titanfall could have been a major exclusive, but it being on the Xbox 360 version kinda softened the impact that game could have made, since many people likely opted for the Xbox 360 version.

Thing is, Microsoft has alot more to lose than Nintendo does if Sony is the market leader. Nintendo beats to its own drum, and I think given time, a price drop and Nintendo's exclusives will make the Wii U attractive as a secondary console for PS4 owners. With the Xbox One, what is the incentive to pick it over the PS4 unless you're a Halo fan?

Outside of Halo, Gears, Forza, and Fable, what does Microsoft have? They have the weakest first-party lineup out of the big three. Sony has stepped up their game in recent years, and has had hits in the form of Uncharted, The Last of Us, God of War, Killzone, MLB: The Show, Little Big Planet and other franchises. Of course, Nintendo's first-party lineup is still as good as ever.

But Microsoft has relied on the same four IPs for years now, and as Super Mario 3D World showed, just because a IP is successful, does not mean it will be enough to turn around a system.n
Somehow, I don't see Halo 5 having the same kind of hype that the previous Halo games had. Which means unless Microsoft has something big planned as a surprise at E3, Halo 5 will be what they bet the farm on this year.

And somehow, I think Microsoft may end up losing out this year. Nintendo will likely carve a nice second place with Smash bros and Mario Kart, while the PS4 will keep selling.

For the past few years, Microsoft has been losing all the momentum they gained with the early success of the Xbox 360. Sony has closed the gap in sales between the PS3 and Xbox 360, and the PS4 is the leader over the Xbox One. I don't see that trend reversing anytime soon.

I don't see things reversing in Microsoft's favor.

At least XB1 has good third party support. Don't like the linearity of Ryse? Play Watch_Dogs coming May 27th, the same time as the other versions, with the same extras such as DLC and the companion app. Don't like modern cites? Wait for Dishonored II, coming 2016, when the system will still be relevant on the eyes of gamers. Too violent for you? There is the upcoming Minecraft Xbox One Edition you can enjoy alone or with friends! While the future of Wii U is exclusives or bust. £250 for the ability to play HD Nintendo Games and Skylanders (and Tecmo Koei knockoffs). Which is why people ask for price drops. Who knows what kind of isolation Nintendo fans will face if the console handheld hybrid exists....

Get ready for the HYRULE SPIDERMAN! Coming to Wii U and 3DS this summer!

Nintendo Network ID: memoryman3 | Twitter: realmemoryman3

AuthorMessage
Avatar

afro_insomniac

55. Posted:

To think the Wii U will probably be even more niche than the Gamecube. I freaking loved the Gamecube, one of my all time favorite consoles and paired with the PS2 that is probably my favorite generation of games.

Funny thing is, I love my Wii U as well. I'm enjoying the system a hell of a lot more than the Wii. Between Nintendo finally in HD, more fleshed out online presence, or the fact that the Gamepad caters to traditional gaming more than the Wii remote ever did (waggle, ughhhh), this generation for me as a Nintendo fan I'm really digging so far.

Can't tell you how thrilled I was to see Nintendo implement less waggle and motion control in favor of traditional controls for Wii U games this generation. As far as unique "Nintendo gimmicks", I get much more mileage out of the Gamepad's off TV play feature than I ever enjoyed the forced motion control designs of last generation Wii games.

As a business product, the Wii U will probably be a failure. From a gaming standpoint, the Wii U is a step in the right direction for me as a Nintendo fan. Just hope Nintendo supports the system for at least another 3-4 years. Mario Kart and Smash Bros are probably going to be my most played titles this year by far on any console.

Edited on by afro_insomniac

afro_insomniac

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Spanjard

56. Posted:

CanisWolfred wrote:

Except they're taking that out of context. What were the circumstances? What came out around that time? How were the competition doing? To me, it looks like a general slump. The 3DS wasn't tracking too well either. Why was that?

That article told me basically nothing.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Spanjard

3DS Friend Code: 3754-7789-7523 | Nintendo Network ID: Longforgotten

AuthorMessage
Avatar

cookiex

57. Posted:

Caryslan wrote:

Somehow, I don't see Halo 5 having the same kind of hype that the previous Halo games had. Which means unless Microsoft has something big planned as a surprise at E3, Halo 5 will be what they bet the farm on this year.

It's been rumored for a while that Halo 5 might be pushed to 2015 and a Halo 2 Anniversary Edition would take it's place which wouldn't be good for XBO, but we'll see come E3.

cookiex
Self-appointed NintendoLife Hyrule Warriors ambassador

AuthorMessage
Avatar

jariw

58. Posted:

JimLad wrote:

I believe the 3DS is a big part of the reason the Wii U is where it is. Ever since it was released Nintendo's home console efforts have taken a massive hit. I think they got so wrapped up in their own battle with the Vita in Japan they've been blinded to the rest of the world.
I agree with you though, at this point it would be smart to cut the losses on one of them. Sadly that looks like Wii U.

Why would that be smart? Nintendo has for more than 30 years used the strategy to save money on their successes so they can afford some failures on the market. And the Wii U has only been out for one and a half years, which is still very short compared to the development time required for some of the major titles such as Zelda U.

Current Top 10: DK:TF, Pikmin 3, MK8, Scram Kitty, SM3DW, LEGO City: Undercover, Wonderful 101, Rayman Legends, Stick it to the Man, Wind Waker HD
Looking forward to:
Project CARS, SSB U, Affordable Space Adventures, Bayonetta 2, X, Hex Heroes, Yarn Yoshi, and more

AuthorMessage
Avatar

RancidVomit86

59. Posted:

Untitled

And more of everyone playing pretend market expert.

Xbox Live Gamer Tag - RancidVomit86
Battle.net - Dayman
Wii Code - 4335 5256 5880 9373
iOS Game Center - RancidVomit86

Writer for www.sega-addicts.com

AuthorMessage
Avatar

MAN1AC

60. Posted:

CanisWolfred wrote:

Except they're taking that out of context. What were the circumstances? What came out around that time? How were the competition doing? To me, it looks like a general slump. The 3DS wasn't tracking too well either. Why was that?

That article told me basically nothing.

Elaborate please.
This is pretty straight forward info here. This article is referring to sales, not something subjective like the quality of the games on the console.

KingKoopa1982 wrote:

Seeing numbers like this is always disappointing, but I don't really even pay attention anymore. The fact is that I love my Wii U. I have a ton of great games for it and I'm very happy with it. Sales figures don't interest me. There's nothing in these articles that we don't already know. So, just enjoy your console!

Same here.
I've been enjoying mine and I'm pretty excited about quite a few of the games that have been announced for it that haven't been released yet.

Four more months until Bayonetta 2.

3DS Friend Code: 0705-3088-6988 | Nintendo Network ID: MANIAC64