Wii U Forum

Topic: According to Nintendo World Report, the Wii U is doing significantly worse than GCN.

Showing 21 to 40 of 84

AuthorMessage
Avatar

sub12

21. Posted:

Klimbatize wrote:

sub12 wrote:

Yeah, hopefully Nintendo can pull something akin to Sony and the PS3, and In relation to that, Nintendo does not need some killer app for the gamepad, it just needs a strong software lineup (Sony had Uncharted, etc), and marketing (remember the Kevin Butler commercials?). I always see Xbox One commercials and adds, quite a bit for the PS4 as well, and unfortunately, a minimal amount from Nintendo.

And Nintendo is going to have to do that all by themselves. It's been made perfectly clear that they are going to get much help from major third parties.

So in other words, unlikely to happen.

That's very true, although if someone can muster it, it's Nintendo, still unlikely though.....best case scenario, they continue to support the Wii U with strong first party titles and the odd third party exclusive here and there,.....and launch a new piece of hardware in late 2016 that the market actually wants.

sub12

AuthorMessage
AvatarStaff

WaLzgi

22. Posted:

sub12 wrote:

I would recommend actually watching Nintendo's E3 2008 presentation on youtube.....you can the writing on the wall in retrospection.

For so many years I was unable to watch e3 live...except that year (until 2011 at least). You can only imagine my reaction that THAT abomination. I would rather pretend it didn't happen

If you care so much for your privacy, what are you hiding?

Nintendo Life moderator and duck.

My BUY_A_WII_U_loggery

3DS Friend Code: 2234-7139-4188 | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

AuthorMessage
Avatar

sub12

23. Posted:

Jazzer94 wrote:

Reala wrote:

Its the poor 3DS I feel sorry for, the wii u is failing so yeah it is obvious they would turn their attention to it, but at the same time I think its a lame duck really personally though its either stick with the lame duck or cut your losses, and the wii u owners I'm sure would appreciate them sticking with it I'm sure, 3DS's new releases are starting to look pretty barren though, just not sure its a worthwhile trade off at least that's how I feel.

The 3DS has had great games at a consistent rate since late 2011, Nintendo might not really know what to make next. Personally I'm hoping they make another Paper Mario that is more like TTYD another Mario Tennis Open but fix the problems of the first game like region locked online, I do feel the SM3L2 is going to be announced at E3 and that is the game Nintendo EAD Tokyo have been making.

I also think it's SM3L2, given that the original has done better than New Super Mario Bros. 2 (thank god), and I don't consider that a bad thing, I would buy it.

sub12

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Jazzer94

24. Posted:

Unca_Lz wrote:

sub12 wrote:

I would recommend actually watching Nintendo's E3 2008 presentation on youtube.....you can the writing on the wall in retrospection.

For so many years I was unable to watch e3 live...except that year (until 2011 at least). You can only imagine my reaction that THAT abomination. I would rather pretend it didn't happen

Untitled
Untitled

PSN: mangaJman
SSBB FC: 1204-1132-2888
The Jazzloggery
Once you see you can never unsee Everyone's favorite videogame character
I keep getting this feeling that I should write something down here........................

3DS Friend Code: 5155-3100-6367 | Nintendo Network ID: Justinius94

AuthorMessage
Avatar

sub12

25. Posted:

It's not really the Wii Music portion, it's the arrogance in relation to sales number and the single minded approach when it comes to appealing to the casual market......

sub12

AuthorMessage
Avatar

kkslider5552000

26. Posted:

This doesn't surprise me tbh. Gamecube actually kinda mattered (as much as a non-Ps2 console could anyway) in its first year and a half or so since it released every major title it could during that time (considering Mario Kart wasn't a big deal until DS/Wii) and then had sequels to those games and Donkey Kong and bongos later, which presumably what caused its fall into irrelevance. Not to mention porting to GCN was the easiest thing in the world and companies weren't lazy about ports that weren't guaranteed millions.

Whereas Wii U post-launch has launched almost no major mainstream titles out of some misguided thought that the casual audience were still there. And once again its big saving grace title last year to follow up its inability to get co-op Mario platforming heavily inspired by the old Mario titles to sell the console was to assume that a co-op Mario platformer heavily inspired by the old Mario titles would save the Wii U. Honestly you could argue that even what Wii U sales it has gotten Nintendo should be grateful for since it has done the least it possibly could to actually sell its console.

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

I have a Let's Play channel? How?!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Jazzer94

27. Posted:

sub12 wrote:

It's not really the Wii Music portion, it's the arrogance in relation to sales number and the single minded approach when it comes to appealing to the casual market......

And that boring story IIRC about snowboarding told by that woman we never saw at an E3 again, Nintendo were on cloud nine at that point I completely agree their arrogance lead to where we are now.

PSN: mangaJman
SSBB FC: 1204-1132-2888
The Jazzloggery
Once you see you can never unsee Everyone's favorite videogame character
I keep getting this feeling that I should write something down here........................

3DS Friend Code: 5155-3100-6367 | Nintendo Network ID: Justinius94

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Neko_Rukiafan

28. Posted:

Console-wise yes it's horrible, but in-terms of software sales the console is seeing more software sold per customer than the Gamecube and even the Wii did. I'm not saying the console isn't a failure, but it would be alot worse for Nintendo if software sales were equally as low. ;)

Owner of http://www.WiiWareWave.com est. on March 16th 2011

Currently in need of new news anchors and reviewers!

Twitter: WiiWareWave

AuthorMessage
Avatar

rockodoodle

29. Posted:

And this is a shame b/c I've had an awesome time with my Wii U. This is coming from somebody who hasn't bought a new system since 2002 or so- a Gameboy Advance.

Mario Kart will probably help, gonna guess that it will be too little too late. Only thing that it has going for it is that components drop in price and it might be able to pick up some steam in a year or so with a price drop and Zelda plus a few more new games.

Jazzer94 wrote:

Sales-wise the Wii U has been a complete failure since early 2013. Nintendo waited to long to damage control the console most likely because they had nothing ready to damage control with, the Wii era made them soft they never had to really try and get consumers to buy Wii's and games they just did and honestly a problem so far this gen is Nintendo's lack of clarity to which audiences it is trying to capture. So far at least I can say in terms of games everything released so far has been of a high standard 1st party wise also the Wii U really needed 3rd party support as its clear Nintendo are struggling when it comes to getting games out the door at a consistent pace.

rockodoodle

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Caryslan

30. Posted:

KennyPowers wrote:

Unca_Lz wrote:

I would probably compare the Wii U to the Playstation 3 in how the companies handled the respective systems. Both Nintendo and Sony were enjoying a time of huge success. Then they relied on that success on the next generation despite keeping none of the features that made the previous gen a success. And finally that bit them in the rear end when their sales tumbled.

Whaaaaaaaa??

PS3's initial problems were that it was severely overpriced. Once the cost balanced out with the 360, it sold fine and was (and still is) a great success. It's sold somewhere around 80 million units! The Wii-U would be lucky to reach 20 million lifetime.

And the PS3 kept many of the same features that made its predecessor successful, so I don't know what that means either.

Same controller. Expanded online. Backwards compatible. Played disc media. Same type of games. Same big franchises.

The PS3 is still outselling the Wii-U too, that's embarrassing for Nintendo. There is no valid comparison between the PS3/Wii-U when you are arguing that they were both failures.

Unless I'm wrong, I think the PS3 surpassed the Xbox 360's numbers sometime last year.

Caryslan

AuthorMessage
Avatar

sub12

31. Posted:

Rukiafan wrote:

Console-wise yes it's horrible, but in-terms of software sales the console is seeing more software sold per customer than the Gamecube and even the Wii did. I'm not saying the console isn't a failure, but it would be alot worse for Nintendo if software sales were equally as low. ;)

I'm pretty sure that's because the small percentage market wise of consumers who own the Wii U are either core Nintendo fans or just core gamers in general,.....

sub12

AuthorMessage
Avatar

NintyMan

32. Posted:

It's a shame because I've enjoyed my Wii U significantly, just as I enjoyed GameCube back when it was deemed a failure. But the GameCube was succeeded by smash-hit Wii, so hopefully the one after Wii U will deliver. I don't know what it will look like or how much better its games will be, but I can still dream.

Meanwhile, Nintendo practically rules the handheld realm.

Miiverse
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/users/DestinyMan
Donkey Kong- King of the Jungle

3DS Friend Code: 2449-4663-7817 | Nintendo Network ID: DestinyMan

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bolt_Strike

33. Posted:

Not surprising at all, the Wii U is just not very appealing to anyone, the hardware and game lineup is too underwhelming for many people to be interested, the Gamepad is really confusing to casuals and doesn't really do anything interesting, and there was too little marketing for it. The system just isn't that good in any way whatsoever and people aren't really interested.

I think more than likely the console will not recover as none of its problems are really fixable except for advertising. They basically need to go all out for E3, and if Microsoft and Sony manage to show off anything remotely good as far as new game announcements, they're going to steal all of the attention away. Other than that, they need to just bite the bullet and come up with something more competitive next gen.

I don't have a Wii U, and I've been on the fence about getting one, there's a couple of games that I think I might somewhat enjoy, but there's too few must haves. In fact, I'm getting sick of waiting for better games to the point where if E3 ends up sucking this year, I'll probably just end up ignoring them for the rest of this generation because I do not like the direction they've gone in these last few years and I refuse to support it.

Edited on by Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike

3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

34. Posted:

Except they're taking that out of context. What were the circumstances? What came out around that time? How were the competition doing? To me, it looks like a general slump. The 3DS wasn't tracking too well either. Why was that?

That article told me basically nothing.

Mecha Wolf Prime

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi
Scary Wolfrun...
...Scared Wolfrun

Arooo~

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DualWielding

35. Posted:

as I always said, Nintendo problem was that they mistake the Wii results which were a fluke for a legitimate success and sound business strategy...... the PS3 and the 3DS are different, the PS2 and the DS were legitimate successes that remained popular up till the launch of their successors.... people were enjoying their DS and PS2 and were excited about getting the successors... Then the successors launched overpriced and with no games and the excitement died. but...... once price cuts were made and games were released the excitement came back and so did sales.......

The Wii U is a completely different case, the Wii had been dead for about 2 years before the launch of the Wii U many people who had one were disapointed with it due to the lack of third party support and many had either moved to the PS3/360 or at least looked with some envy at the games those consoles were getting that the Wii did not..... and thats the hardcore gamers, the casuals just forgot about it after the fad passed or moved to tablets/phones...... As much as the Wii sold there was not a large audience of Wii loving gamers eager to get the next released.... instead there was an audience of sceptics wondering if the Wii U would be another Wii or whether Nintendo would finally get on track...... Nintendo did not manage to convince people the Wii U would not be like the Wii so that's why people did not buy it

Edited on by DualWielding

PSN: Fertheseeker

AuthorMessage
Avatar

sub12

36. Posted:

ferthepoet wrote:

as I always said, Nintendo problem was that they mistake the Wii results which were a fluke for a legitimate success and sound business strategy...... the PS3 and the 3DS are different, the PS2 and the DS were legitimate successes that remained popular up till the launch of their successors.... people were enjoying their DS and PS2 and were excited about getting the successors... Then the successors launched overpriced and with no games and the excitement died. but...... once price cuts were made and games were released the excitement came back and so did sales.......

The Wii U is a completely different case, the Wii had been dead for about 2 years before the launch of the Wii U many people who had one were disapointed with it due to the lack of third party support and many had either moved to the PS3/360 or at least looked with some envy at the games those consoles were getting that the Wii did not..... and thats the hardcore gamers, the casuals just forgot about it after the fad passed or moved to tablets/phones...... As much as the Wii sold there was not a large audience of Wii loving gamers eager to get the next released.... instead there was an audience of sceptics wondering if the Wii U would be another Wii or whether Nintendo would finally get on track...... Nintendo did not manage to convince people the Wii U would not be like the Wii so that's why people did not buy it

Nice summarization.

sub12

AuthorMessage
AvatarStaff

WaLzgi

37. Posted:

Perhaps it would be wise to retire the name then with their next system.

If you care so much for your privacy, what are you hiding?

Nintendo Life moderator and duck.

My BUY_A_WII_U_loggery

3DS Friend Code: 2234-7139-4188 | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

AuthorMessage
Avatar

KingKoopa1982

38. Posted:

Seeing numbers like this is always disappointing, but I don't really even pay attention anymore. The fact is that I love my Wii U. I have a ton of great games for it and I'm very happy with it. Sales figures don't interest me. There's nothing in these articles that we don't already know. So, just enjoy your console!

KingKoopa1982

AuthorMessage
Avatar

unrandomsam

39. Posted:

sub12 wrote:

Jazzer94 wrote:

Reala wrote:

Its the poor 3DS I feel sorry for, the wii u is failing so yeah it is obvious they would turn their attention to it, but at the same time I think its a lame duck really personally though its either stick with the lame duck or cut your losses, and the wii u owners I'm sure would appreciate them sticking with it I'm sure, 3DS's new releases are starting to look pretty barren though, just not sure its a worthwhile trade off at least that's how I feel.

The 3DS has had great games at a consistent rate since late 2011, Nintendo might not really know what to make next. Personally I'm hoping they make another Paper Mario that is more like TTYD another Mario Tennis Open but fix the problems of the first game like region locked online, I do feel the SM3L2 is going to be announced at E3 and that is the game Nintendo EAD Tokyo have been making.

I also think it's SM3L2, given that the original has done better than New Super Mario Bros. 2 (thank god), and I don't consider that a bad thing, I would buy it.

I would buy either if they have fixed the framerate at 60fps. (That is the main issue with 3D Land for me anyway). Coin Rush would be much more fun in 60fps. (In fact if they had spent the time in between just trying to make some truly wonderful levels I am sure they could do it).

I still think the DS NSMB is the best one.

“30fps Is Not a Good Artistic Decision, It's a Failure”

AuthorMessage
Avatar

NintyMan

40. Posted:

KingKoopa1982 wrote:

Seeing numbers like this is always disappointing, but I don't really even pay attention anymore. The fact is that I love my Wii U. I have a ton of great games for it and I'm very happy with it. Sales figures don't interest me. There's nothing in these articles that we don't already know. So, just enjoy your console!

Agreed.

Miiverse
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/users/DestinyMan
Donkey Kong- King of the Jungle

3DS Friend Code: 2449-4663-7817 | Nintendo Network ID: DestinyMan