Wii U Forum

Topic: 3Ds cannibalizing on Wii U sale?

Showing 21 to 40 of 85

AuthorMessage
Avatar

teus

21. Posted:

3Dash wrote:

Look on the bright side. Already $60 games might cost $70 in 3D+HD, which I'm not even sure Nintendo could do, plus it'd be a bit disorienting to look from a 3D screen in your hands to a 2D screen on a Wii U and back again.... I think it's fine as it is. Plus, an already expensive GamePad would cost possibly $150 instead of $100, give or take a few bucks.

it's been rumored that the cost of the game pad alone is much closer to $200

NintendoID: Lazymutant

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Morphbug

22. Posted:

Not to mention the WiiU would need enough power to render the game up to 6 times at the same time...
(3D tv + 2 3D game pads!)

Oh look! A Morphloggery.
Oh! eShop Gurus.

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1330-0080 | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

AuthorMessage
Avatar

kkslider5552000

23. Posted:

HD_Visor wrote:

"magic" (wtf is that anyway?).

You know this game is fun...but it's soulless. (imagine that in the most pretentious voice possible)

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

I have a Let's Play channel? How?!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

OptometristLime

24. Posted:

Turning the 3D off in Wii U games

/thread

Miyamoto on his desire to focus more on the (hard)core Nintendo fan.

[The casual] attitude is, ‘okay, I am the customer. You are supposed to entertain me.’ [...] and to me it’s kind of a pathetic thing.

You are what you eat from your head to your feet.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Geonjaha

25. Posted:

3D is great, and I love having it on with my 3DS (it's always up to full whenever it can be).
However Nintendo have stated that it's not necessarily a stepping stone, and it's more of an optional way to play - which is why they also said that future consoles of theirs will probably not use stereoscopic 3D. It certainly adds to the graphics of a game, but unless the game is designed around it - it doesnt add any necessity to the experience. The Wii U has enough innovation in gameplay with the Gamepad - and it certainly doesnt need stereoscopic 3D for a further graphic boost.

Edited on by Geonjaha

I make Pixel Art on occasion.

3DS Friend Code: 2277-6645-7215

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Stereoman

26. Posted:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Stereoman wrote:

the thing is i dont need a Wii U to experience bayonneta2

this is factually wrong

also there's no way Nintendo Land is like Wii Play. That's Game and Wario's job.

3Dash you cant seriously compare with

i won't even get into 3d somehow matters because I'm laughing too hard

considering you never leave any constructive argument, yes looking on other posts in this forum from you lately i wont answer anymore to ya. Seems like talking with a big laughing wall which refuses to collapse ...
Seemed to not get that closed system argument at all.

Morphtroid wrote:

Not to mention the WiiU would need enough power to render the game up to 6 times at the same time...
(3D tv + 2 3D game pads!)

No it doesnt have to be double 3D and certainly not all in HD. I said if the gamepad had stereo 3d that would be already a unique selling point.
And who says stereo 3d and touchscreen is not possible? At least a next step challenge for the engineers, isnt it ?
Doing a HD console in 2012 with a tablet doesnt seem to be that of a challenging innovative step forward.

I think its a valid point mentioned in the other Wii U thread. All those controllers seem to fragmentated the WiiU audience. Sure there will be some innovative games with asymmetric gameplay and which really emphasize the gamepad. But i fear a port fest of unforseen scale.
Sure sure i dont want to destroy the dreams for all the hyped customers for their pretty WiiU launch packages. But as of now it seems not promising.
No concrete info on Miiverse. Reggie saying its something you have never seen before really doesnt help abit. No first party blockbuster on the horizont other than pikmin3 either in 2013 or worse in 2014 or 2015. Third party support as of now is mostly just ports.
Look most nintendo only people would have completelly missed out on both assasins creed AND mass effect franchises. because their system was too crappy to boats such HD gems. So it would been a smart move to get all future WiiU folks into the boat to release assasins creed and mass effect trilogies.
But what happens ? Sure nintey people again get a cheap ME3 port over a full trilogy for all other hd consoles. And with assasins creed it looks no different.

Where is a RE for WiiU ? Even the 3ds had an exclusive which had awesome online coop.
As of now only two unique titles for WiiU are nintendoland and wonderful 101. Thats it ... An asymmetric gamecompilation, which got promises written all over it for 2015+(commercial or real game?) and a pikmin for 2012 with super heroes.
Congrats on the unique selling points for your WiiU.
3Ds on the other side looks on a very bright 2013. And who knows what keeps the future.

Edited on by Stereoman

Stereoman

AuthorMessage
Avatar

willobee

27. Posted:

Hmm calling Wii 'too crappy to boats such HD gems'... suspecting a troll...

NNID: willobee

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Stereoman

28. Posted:

wobee wrote:

Hmm calling Wii 'too crappy to boats such HD gems'... suspecting a troll...

Well obviously you didnt read carefully wobee.
Again just shot and thought afterwards. Where is the constructive argument?
Clearly the wii was too crappy to play games like assasins creed 1 or mass effect 1.
You wont argue with that wobee?
So NOW YOU SEE MORE CLEARLY ?

Stereoman

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Morphbug

29. Posted:

It's not that making a 3D touchscreen is impossible, it's just that touchscreens have this awkward and inexplicable tendency to get scratched or dirty.

Does your 3DS suffer from these bothersome top screen scratches? You hate them right? They always get in the way when you turn the 3D on, right?
Well now imagine this: A huge 3D screen with lots of small scratches that become very apparent when you turn the 3D on.
Not to mention that moving the screen around totally kills the 3D.

Look, it's not like I dislike 3D, I love it!... But sometimes the cons are more than the pros.

Oh look! A Morphloggery.
Oh! eShop Gurus.

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1330-0080 | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Stereoman

30. Posted:

Morphtroid wrote:

It's not that making a 3D touchscreen is impossible, it's just that touchscreens have this awkward and inexplicable tendency to get scratched or dirty.

[/sub]

Look, it's not like I dislike 3D, I love it!... But sometimes the cons are more than the pros.

nope i knew about the top screen scratches before it could scratch anything. I always put a cloth inside ma 3ds. No problems with scratching whatsoever.
Hum then screen protectors for WiiU gamepad would be the way to go :D
But yes at least u are constructive morphtroid. Hum what about scratch free screens ? That would be innovative lol.

Edited on by Stereoman

Stereoman

AuthorMessage
Avatar

19Robb92

31. Posted:

A stereoscopic screen would make the tablet controller a lot more expensive. The LCD screen alone is already the most expensive part of the controller. and people are complaining the WiiU GamePad is about $150 by itself already.

If anything, I think making the WiiU 3D would decreese 3DS sales. Stereoscopic 3D is the 3DS's neat feature, having it on the WiiU in HD would make the 3DS less appealing.

But to be honest, I don't see any of these system cannibalizing each other sales in any way. The handheld and stationary market are very different.

Looking forward to: ZeldaU & Hyrule Warriors

3DS Friend Code: 3007-8070-6318 | Nintendo Network ID: 19Robb92

AuthorMessage
Avatar

willobee

32. Posted:

Stereoman wrote:

wobee wrote:

Hmm calling Wii 'too crappy to boats such HD gems'... suspecting a troll...

Well obviously you didnt read carefully wobee.
Again just shot and thought afterwards. Where is the constructive argument?
Clearly the wii was too crappy to play games like assasins creed 1 or mass effect 1.
You wont argue with that wobee?
So NOW YOU SEE MORE CLEARLY ?

I like how you want a constructive argument, but rather than say the Wii is underpowered, or running on dated technology, you just call it crappy. That makes it very hard to take your arguments seriously.

Yes, the system was lacking the technical power to play games like Assassins Creed or Mass Effect, but so what? It still had numerous enjoyable third party games. The WiiU is simply picking up on the the ports now because it's (relatively) easy for developers to port those games over and make a bit more money by expanding the audience. Nothing more, nothing less.

I don't understand your point about people today needing a mobile gaming experience... Just from my own observations, it seems many people play 3DS exclusively at home. This is even encouraged with the 3DS XL/LL. Smartphones are much more common for gaming on the go, because yo will have the phone with you anyway, and it is even more portable than a handheld like PSVita or 3DS. The games aren't usually up to the same quality or standard of a dedicated system, but when the game is just something to make time go by on a bus, they do just fine.

There will always be a market for home console gaming. It's a lot of fun to plunk yourself in comfy chair and look at your massive TV. Even more so by how multiplayer gaming tends to be more accessible on a home console. All you need is another controller, not a second console and game.

NNID: willobee

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Aviator

33. Posted:

3D cannot be implemented on every game across the board.

It can on the 3DS because each 3DS system has the ability to create 3D.

Not every TV can show 3D. Why should a game be developed for 3D, at a higher cost, when it won't be able to be used by every single person who buys it?

NOW YOU SEE MORE CLEARLY?

Edited on by Aviator

In a way exhausting
we're problem solving
Drink 'til she's attractive
We're PARTYNAUSEOUS
Talking 'bout diplomatic
I brought my plastic
Making that peace attractive
We're PARTYNAUSEOUS
PSN: naviator_9

AuthorMessage
Avatar

kyuubikid213

34. Posted:

Iwata also mentioned that the Wii's successor might be 3D-com...

I think Iwata wants to wait it out sort of like with the Wii. When the Wii came out, HD televisions were there, but not a lot of people owned them, so why make the Wii in a resolution no one will use? Now HD televisions are prevalent and the Wii U uses HD. 3D televisions are around now, but I don't know a single person that has one. If they made 3D a big part of Wii U games without a lot of people owning a 3D TV, it'd sort of exclude those people from the "magic" of 3D.

Personally, I don't need 3D gaming to survive although I do welcome it on my 3DS.

Basically what Aviator said, but with a source

Edited on by kyuubikid213

Wii Owner, 3DS Owner, Wii U Owner

I promise to not derail threads. Request from theblackdragon

I promise to be a mature individual. Request from theblackdragon

3DS Friend Code: 4639-9073-1731 | Nintendo Network ID: kyuubikid213

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Stereoman

35. Posted:

Well at least some constructive stuff from you @ wobee
But i disagreed with your comfy living room thing. In aspects of multiplayer computer and handhelds were always superior ? Why ? Because u got a screen for yourself and didnt get butchered down by splitscreen, which was a temporary solution back in the days of the 80ties and 90ties.

@ aviator
who said all have to be stereo 3d ? I already stated that double HD stereoscopic would already been too much. Ye procession power for a 50 inch 3d TV and a 3d gamepad would maybe too much to call for. But why not upgrade the gamepad with that feature? That would be best compromise. Then u dont even need to buy a new TV, u just keep your old standard HD fing and can still enjoy stereoscopic stuff in your living room.
The other solution using crossplay between 3DS and WiiU is inferior. The gamecube and gba setup already showed that an handheld as an alternative controller is not the smartest idea.
We will see how monster hunters cross play will turn out ...

@ kyuu
so i said it as a posibility, but going 3d gamepad would haven been an innovative start.
and my statement seems true in one situation people seem to find X obligatory for their enjoyment and suddenly in the other situation people fall back and cheat themselves that a HD console in year 2012 is enough for them

So be it then, i guess the point got over either way. Maybe not accurate, but some thinking is starting.
Still the shoveling of ports and remakes are alarming.

Edited on by Stereoman

Stereoman

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Aviator

36. Posted:

What the hell is the point of 3D on a controller for a home console?

In a way exhausting
we're problem solving
Drink 'til she's attractive
We're PARTYNAUSEOUS
Talking 'bout diplomatic
I brought my plastic
Making that peace attractive
We're PARTYNAUSEOUS
PSN: naviator_9

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Stereoman

37. Posted:

well you could ask what the hell is the point of a tablet controller for a home console ?
At least the stereo 3d would be a step forward. Having a tablet controller for inventory ? For map ? For touchscreen placement of game assets ?
NO surely that seems most innovative and fun.
Sure sure having a map on a tablet which will sit in a corner of the living room for the next blockbuster pikmin3 is really an unique selling point.
Heh touchscreen maps we already had for what ? 7 years already on the DS ? One would think the developers should already have figured how to use a second screen for more innovation and comfort altogether ?

@ wobee
Why didnt phones crush the handheld market already ? Because when u play with your phone on the go and want to make an actual call or post something, oh sorry my dear the battery died. I now people play on their phones. But in my opinion its very unintelligent.
It's like using a defibrillator for cooking, but in the most important situation the battery just died and u cant use it.

Stereoman

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Reala

38. Posted:

Stereoman wrote:

@ aviator
who said all have to be stereo 3d ? I already stated that double HD stereoscopic would already been too much. Ye procession power for a 50 inch 3d TV and a 3d gamepad would maybe too much to call for. But why not upgrade the gamepad with that feature?

After the 2nd analog for 3DS and the endless peripherals already on wii including the wiimotion plus, surely nintendo has fleeced its userbase enough already without a 3D wii u gamepad to add to the mix, besides it would still suffer the same problems as 3DS I'm guessing maybe even worse than that as you'd be using the 3D screen as a touch screen, not to mention flipping between the bottom 2D screen and top 3D screen is a bit weird it would be far worse with a TV screen in the mix.

there's nothing that's certain... of that you can be certain

AuthorMessage
Avatar

willobee

39. Posted:

Stereoman wrote:

Well at least some constructive stuff from you wobee
But i disagreed with your comfy living room thing. In aspects of multiplayer computer and handhelds were always superior ? Why ? Because u got a screen for yourself and didnt get butchered down by splitscreen, which was a temporary solution back in the days of the 80ties and 90ties.

I was more so speaking of local multiplayer, for the sake of cheapness or friends just not having enough interest in a specific system to own it. I don't ever want to buy a PS3, but I enjoy playing games with my friends on their systems, as an example. And I don't feel like splitscreen is a valid point, because the WiiU has found a way to remedy that in some games by displaying on the controller and the TV seperately... and I've never found having half a screen to be a bother, especially now when TVs are getting huuuuuge. Online, all systems are the same and not worth arguing about.

Stereoman wrote:

Why didnt phones crush the handheld market already ? Because when u play with your phone on the go and want to make an actual call or post something, oh sorry my dear the battery died. I now people play on their phones. But in my opinion its very unintelligent.
It's like using a defibrillator for cooking, but in the most important situation the battery just died and u cant use it.

I didn't say phones were going to crush the market, I said they are used more on the go. Handhelds are still very popular. Kids who don't have smartphones will certainly play them on the go (ahhh, memories of playing my Gameboy at school), and teens/adults still want handhelds because they are a much better gaming device. But they are not as portable as a smartphone. That's just a fact, and is one of the main reasons why smartphone gaming is so abundant.

I have no idea why you think people are wasting their batteries playing games. Phone batteries can last a looong time, a bit of gaming to pass the time isn't going to suddenly put them in a life or death situation when they can't call someone. You could just as well say anyone that put their phone in ANY sort of risk is 'unintelligent' because they are effectively putting their lives at risk.

NNID: willobee

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Stereoman

40. Posted:

wobee wrote:

I was more so speaking of local multiplayer, for the sake of cheapness or friends just not having enough interest in a specific system to own it. I don't ever want to buy a PS3, but I enjoy playing games with my friends on their systems, as an example.

Speaking about local multiplayer. Why cant we at least play local multiplayer on 4x gamepads ? Sure its not in 3d so ze so next gen wiiU should be capable of it? The gamepad screen is small enough? Why no revival of 4 or even 5 player Four swourds adventure now specifically designed for WiiU ?
Well THAt would be a unique selling point.
Nintey enthusiasts with friends and co should be able to gather 4 gamepads somehow ...

Four swords adventures on Dsi / 3Ds was just so awesome. So another plus for the handheld team ;)
Sheesh one man can dream of ...

Edited on by Stereoman

Stereoman