Forums

Topic: 2.2 Million Wii U Units Sold So Far

Posts 101 to 110 of 110

CanisWolfred

@Skywake - Maybe you're right. I found a good one on Dell's website for $600. That's way more power and space for less than what my current PC cost 4 or 5 years ago, when it was over a year old. That'd probably be worth it.

That said, I'll see if I can get another year or two out of my Current computer. I'm not the only one in the house who needs a new one...

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

SCRAPPER392

Apple just needs to make the iMind. You can listen to music, watch videos, go on the internet, and play games. It costs $1000, and is in the form of a glass of water that you drink to. You just think what you want to do, then it happens. Food and addition 'regular' water required to function beyond the first charge. Haha.

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

skywake

@CanisWolfred
Well a lot changes over five years. Given we're talking about console gaming I built a shiny new PC for ~$1100AU back about when the 360 launched and it's really not worth the time anymore. Lower spec than a decent tablet on most measures although to be fair I wasn't aiming for a gaming machine at the time. That's how quickly things move.

So if it's power people want why don't they just go out and get it? Obviously they don't want power, they want a brand, a console exclusive or a different "experience". They want to pay for the convinience or the non-hastle that they expect from an out-of-the-box product. Which is fine but... if that's what they want they shouldn't go claiming they want the bleeding edge.

@SCAR392
Don't need to go to sci-fi sort of crazy theoretical or highly experimental stuff to see cool tech. Right now you can go out and get a monitor that's a few cms thick and 27" for a few hundred dollars. You can get a Solid State Disk, proper flash with massive read speeds and no moving parts, for about $1/GB. Pretty much every non-desktop style device will have a wireless network card that can do a good ~50Mbps or so over the air. Anything that's not an ultra-portable machine will probably have a 1Gbps network port on it, that's faster than the sustained read speed of a single mechanical HDD.

And that's now. In the next five years or so we'll be talking about 10Gbps LAN and 120Mbps WLAN. We'll be talking SSDs that are 10x cheaper and 10x faster assuming current trends hold. That's before you even start on the new types of tech that are going to start to hit the consumer space like proper OLED displays and Optical Comms. Future's pretty cool as is, you don't need to make stuff up

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Banker-Style

That's actually pretty good.

Nintendo Network ID: Da-Banker
3DS XL FC:3265-6271-5244
In 3000 years time,people will remember the name,Da-Banker,for being such a [Censored]

Nintendo Network ID: Da-Banker

FOREST_RANGER

@Topic The Wii U will likely sell more. Although the deficit cliff and recent tax increase in the United States may be a concern...

Formely known as bobbiKat

Nintendo Network ID: F0R35T_R8NG3R

SCRAPPER392

skywake wrote:

@CanisWolfred
Well a lot changes over five years. Given we're talking about console gaming I built a shiny new PC for ~$1100AU back about when the 360 launched and it's really not worth the time anymore. Lower spec than a decent tablet on most measures although to be fair I wasn't aiming for a gaming machine at the time. That's how quickly things move.

So if it's power people want why don't they just go out and get it? Obviously they don't want power, they want a brand, a console exclusive or a different "experience". They want to pay for the convinience or the non-hastle that they expect from an out-of-the-box product. Which is fine but... if that's what they want they shouldn't go claiming they want the bleeding edge.

@SCAR392
Don't need to go to sci-fi sort of crazy theoretical or highly experimental stuff to see cool tech. Right now you can go out and get a monitor that's a few cms thick and 27" for a few hundred dollars. You can get a Solid State Disk, proper flash with massive read speeds and no moving parts, for about $1/GB. Pretty much every non-desktop style device will have a wireless network card that can do a good ~50Mbps or so over the air. Anything that's not an ultra-portable machine will probably have a 1Gbps network port on it, that's faster than the sustained read speed of a single mechanical HDD.

And that's now. In the next five years or so we'll be talking about 10Gbps LAN and 120Mbps WLAN. We'll be talking SSDs that are 10x cheaper and 10x faster assuming current trends hold. That's before you even start on the new types of tech that are going to start to hit the consumer space like proper OLED displays and Optical Comms. Future's pretty cool as is, you don't need to make stuff up

Ya. I was just playing like you said, but I really did hear there's better ways to make computers such as using quarts, carbon phenomenon, and atom flowing rather than electricity. There's just no way with what the current resources to do that sort of thing really... Stuff is cool as it is, but those future displays and such will probably be impossible to get, and expensive to boot. It's hard enough to get a full multiplayer game going with all 4 Wii remotes after 2 generations of games as it is.

Qwest

xThomas

Is it really that hard to get a 4 player game going? Me and some friends can EASILY get a 4-player game of Mario Kart on the gamecube going. Maybe you need to set it up in some public place where people hang out?

xThomas

SCRAPPER392

xThomas wrote:

Is it really that hard to get a 4 player game going? Me and some friends can EASILY get a 4-player game of Mario Kart on the gamecube going. Maybe you need to set it up in some public place where people hang out?

Meh. I usually play with just my family, which only ever maxes out at 5 other people beside myself anyway, and not everyone wants to play all the time. Everyone I know has already moved with their life and is always busy, so they're gone for the most part. I just go solo most of the time, and if I want to play multiplayer REALLY badly, I'll just go online. That's what online is for. If you have a good internet connection, you don't always have to have local going, although it is nice...

Qwest

CanisWolfred

xThomas wrote:

This is more my problem, but most of my friends liked eachother for reasons besides our interest in games. There was rarely ever more than two of us that were interested in the same game, IIRC.

And there's nowhere to hang out around here where I live, either.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

skywake

@SCAR392
It's not that there's a resistance to using optical/quantum computing.It's more that we're still seeing a doubling of performance every two year or so via the method they've been using since the 50s. You won't see anything "new" in that regard till we hit that limit.

SCAR392 wrote:

Stuff is cool as it is, but those future displays and such will probably be impossible to get, and expensive to boot.

It's not like they were always cheap. Going back to Feb 2003 the wayback machine it was $530AU for the cheapest 15" LCD monitor, $180AU for a wireless network card and to get the right collection of parts for a Wireless modem router you'd spend ~$630AU. Same store today you'd pay $100AU, $35AU and $50AU for significantly better products.

So yeah, the shiny 85" 4K and 55" OLED TVs from CES will launch at $10000-30000AU... but ten years ago that's what you would have paid for a 40" Plasma.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.