Forums

Topic: E3 2016 Speculation/Predictions

Posts 61 to 80 of 472

iKhan

TheLastLugia wrote:

why did you spend the time compiling this? Like we need some clarification that game developers who don't have announced games are working on games and you just took a stab-in-the-dark at what they are? I think most of this is pretty basic stuff that you didn't need to go into that amount of detail on, most games nowadays have a 3 year cycle minimum and there's little to be gained trying to guess what these secret games are. This kind of rampant, unorganised speculation is what often leads to people getting the wrong end of the stick in my experience. I think we can all safely say that the guys at Monolith or Retro or HAL are working on games (because that's what they're paid to do) and my guess is as good as yours which is as good as my nan's who hasn't ever played a videogame as to what game they are working on. Can I just ask for what purpose you did this?

I don't like shot in the dark guesses, and I didn't like my initial prediction list because of that. I like to look at the facts and derive my mostly from that. There is a lot of information that I put into my guesses that I didn't put in the list (e.g. most recent iteration of particular franchises) for time and length reasons, but I figured I'd put some of the info up for other people to defend my predictions and allow other people to draw predictions from.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

skywake

Adding to this speculation, it's worth remembering that EAD and SPD merged last year to form EPD. Most of the games listed above are now under that umbrella. Based on that I'll both revise and shorten part of @iKhan's list

Kyoto
Group 1: Mario Kart 8 -> ??? (probably Mario Kart NX)
Group 2: Splatoon & Animal Crossing Happy Home Designer/Amiibo Festival -> ??? (New Animal Crossing? Splatoon?)
Group 3: A Link Between Worlds & Wind Waker HD -> Zelda U & Twilight Princess HD
Group 4: Super Mario Maker -> ??? (probably Pikmin)
Group 5: Wii Fit U/Steel Diver -> ??? (Maybe Project Guard/Giant Robot)

Tokyo
Group 1: Majora's Mask 3D -> ??? (either Twilight Princess HD or they're doing mobile would be my guess)
Group 2: Captain Toad -> ???

So based on this, if I was to guess the E3 surprises? If not for this year then maybe next year.... from most to least likely

• Whatever Retro is working on
  • Pikmin 4
  • Mario Kart NX
  • Animal Crossing NX or Wii U. They wouldn't go and make all of those HD assets just for a board game. Right?
  • Super Mario Galaxy 3 ... or a HD remaster of the first one/two

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

IceClimbers

@skywake: Pretty sure Pikmin 4 is more likely than the next Mario Kart since it was already announced (informally) and is "near completion."

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Bolt_Strike

Mario Kart NX sounds like more of a 2017 release based on Group 1's development schedule. I don't think we'll be seeing it this year.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

cookiex

Bolt_Strike wrote:

Mario Kart NX sounds like more of a 2017 release based on Group 1's development schedule. I don't think we'll be seeing it this year.

If it followed the same schedule as Mario Kart 8 we would see it this year, since 8 was 2 1/2 years after 7.

cookiex
Self-appointed NintendoLife Hyrule Warriors ambassador

Bolt_Strike

cookiex wrote:

Bolt_Strike wrote:

If it followed the same schedule as Mario Kart 8 we would see it this year, since 8 was 2 1/2 years after 7.

7 was 3 1/2 years after Wii though, so it's not a strict pattern. I just don't have a good feeling about Mario Kart coming in 2016, it feels too soon. Especially when we've been getting DLC as recently as 2015.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

skywake

Bolt_Strike wrote:

It's probably pretty close to release either way. Even if it is 2017 I could see Nintendo announcing it at E3 this year to try and build some hype for the NX.

Also 7 was late 2011 and 8 was early 2014, it's about 2 years and 3 months between the two. So if it's the same time between 8 and NX as it was between 7 and 8? It'd launch in June this year. I reckon they can be ready for the NX launch if the NX is launching in November 2016.

Edited on by skywake

Sleepingmudkip

I don't have a high bar set for this E3 from nintendo so i predict at least 2 of these 3 things will happen.

A Linkle game or something related to her.

SMT X FE release date and English title.

Pokemon 3DS game.

Playing: Wargroove on Switch and Fire Emblem on GBA

3DS Friend Code: 3136-7674-9891 | Nintendo Network ID: lionel1 | Twitter:

IceClimbers

@Sleepingmudkip: I'm expecting all three to happen, but the latter two will be announced before E3. On the bit with Linkle, I'm expecting her to be an option over Link in Zelda Wii U.

Bolt_Strike

skywake wrote:

Bolt_Strike wrote:

It's probably pretty close to release either way. Even if it is 2017 I could see Nintendo announcing it at E3 this year to try and build some hype for the NX.

Also 7 was late 2011 and 8 was early 2014, it's about 2 years and 3 months between the two. So if it's the same time between 8 and NX as it was between 7 and 8? It'd launch in June this year. I reckon they can be ready for the NX launch if the NX is launching in November 2016.

Like I said on the last page, 8 also got DLC so that could push things back a bit. I think Mario Kart NX would be late 2017, and since Nintendo doesn't want to reveal games too early, they probably wouldn't reveal it until E3 2017.

Bolt_Strike

IceClimbers

I'm with @Bolt_Stike on this one. I don't think Mario Kart NX is coming until next year. While Nintendo could reveal it this year, I doubt they will.

Edit: Actually, it could possibly release in May 2018. I think that's definitely possible. Likely? No idea.

Edited on by IceClimbers

skywake

Bolt_Strike wrote:

Like I said on the last page, 8 also got DLC so that could push things back a bit. I think Mario Kart NX would be late 2017, and since Nintendo doesn't want to reveal games too early, they probably wouldn't reveal it until E3 2017.

Well even if we assume that the time spent on DLC was all consuming that's still only another year. Which, assuming a Mario Kart 8 length development, would put it at a June 2017 launch. So seriously close to the "NX launch window". And while I do think the DLC took a lot of effort I don't think it would have slowed things down entirely. Do we even know which team worked on the DLC? Because the Mario Kart Team did lean on Retro to work on track development for Mario Kart 7.

Also, if not Mario Kart then what else? What other titles could realistically be ready for the NX? What Retro is working on if its a home console, Pokemon if it's a portable, Animal Crossing.... and? I think Mario Kart is well up on that list. And you can be pretty damn sure that Nintendo is going to talk about NX stuff that's not going to be ready for launch at E3.

Edited on by skywake

Bolt_Strike

skywake wrote:

Well even if we assume that the time spent on DLC was all consuming that's still only another year. Which, assuming a Mario Kart 8 length development, would put it at a June 2017 launch. So seriously close to the "NX launch window". And while I do think the DLC took a lot of effort I don't think it would have slowed things down entirely. Do we even know which team worked on the DLC? Because the Mario Kart Team did lean on Retro to work on track development for Mario Kart 7.

Your math is way off here. A Mario Kart 8 length of development would put it at November 2017, not June, which would make it not a launch year game.

skywake wrote:

Also, if not Mario Kart then what else? What other titles could realistically be ready for the NX? What Retro is working on if its a home console, Pokemon if it's a portable, Animal Crossing.... and? I think Mario Kart is well up on that list. And you can be pretty damn sure that Nintendo is going to talk about NX stuff that's not going to be ready for launch at E3.

I think there would be a 3D Mario game, Retro's game, and maybe Animal Crossing. Not sure what else, but I wouldn't expect a whole lot at launch anyway because that's typical. If the NX really is wooing third parties then they'll probably have a decent amount of third party support to fill in the gaps, so that wouldn't be too much of a concern.

Pokemon and Mario Kart would probably be second year titles and we're probably not going to hear about them until around E3 2017.

Edited on by Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike

skywake

Bolt_Strike wrote:

Your math is way off here. A Mario Kart 8 length of development would put it at November 2017, not June, which would make it not a launch year game.

Mario Kart 7 launch: December 2011
Mario Kart 8 launch: May 2014 (for some reason I thought it was March, my bad)
Time between the two: Lets call it 2 years and 5 months
May 2014 + 2 years and 5 months -> October 2016
Mario Kart 8 DLC 2: April 2015
April 2015 + 2.5 years -> September 2017

Was my maths out? Yes, slightly. Does it change my point? Not really. If they're pushing hard and if we don't assume that the DLC pulled all of the resources away from development of the next game entirely? I think it's fair to assume we could get a Mario Kart NX before E3 2017. A launch or "launch window" title is very much on the cards.

Bolt_Strike wrote:

I think there would be a 3D Mario game, Retro's game, and maybe Animal Crossing. Not sure what else, but I wouldn't expect a whole lot at launch anyway because that's typical. If the NX really is wooing third parties then they'll probably have a decent amount of third party support to fill in the gaps, so that wouldn't be too much of a concern.

All I'm saying is that Mario Kart is definitely in the mix. And if history is anything to go by it's one of Nintendo's safest bets. I'd be surprised if at the very least Nintendo isn't trying to get it out very early. I wouldn't bet against it.

Bolt_Strike wrote:

Pokemon and Mario Kart would probably be second year titles and we're probably not going to hear about them until around E3 2017.

But if they could get them out for launch? Either one or both, but especially if they can get both. That'd be a huge boost for the launch. Those two games and Animal Crossing are your killer apps for a Nintendo system. More than pretty much anything else.

Edited on by skywake

Bolt_Strike

skywake wrote:

But if they could get them out for launch? Either one or both, but especially if they can get both. That'd be a huge boost for the launch. Those two games and Animal Crossing are your killer apps for a Nintendo system. More than pretty much anything else.

Well I can pretty much guarantee you we're not getting a launch window Pokemon game. It's looking like Pokemon is still going to be on the 3DS for 2016 with another 6th gen game announcement seemingly imminent. So the absolute earliest we could get an NX Pokemon game is 2017, and that's only if they had enough time to work on it. It's entirely possible that we could get another 5th gen situation where we get 7th gen on the 3DS and have to wait several years for Game Freak to be ready to transition to NX, especially when Pokemon has a history of not releasing on the next gen console until 2 years after its launch.

Bolt_Strike

nitrolink

@Bolt_Strike:
Mario Kart 9 is probably Nov 2017. The Mario Kart pattern has been:
Nov 2005: DS
May 2008: Wii
Nov 2011: 3DS
May 2014: Wii U

nitrolink

DekuOnion

Remember the rumors about Diddy Kong Racing 2 awhile back? If true, that game as been on the back burner for a long time. It seems unlikely now unless Retro is double dipping or Monster games completely took over, but who knows? If I was Nintendo and planning to release DKR2, I would want it to be right in the middle of Mario Kart releases.

Currently Playing: SMITE, ROTTR, Halo 5: Guardians (XB1), Xenoblade Chronicles X (WiiU), Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney 2 (3DS)

skywake

@rferrari24
The point I'd make about this is that the portable versions both launched during the first (global) holiday period for 3DS and DS. Also the fact that Mario Kart has been a key turning point for Nintendo's platforms. I'd argue that Nintendo could have it ready for launch and that if they did it'd be huge. And even if it's not in that window I could see them bringing it up at E3 this year.

@Bolt_Strike
A Pokemon at launch would be huge though and we are due for a new generation of Pokemon soon. With Black/White they held out with the previous generation because of how huge the DS was. With this next generation? I think it could go either way. Though I will point out that I didn't put it on that list I made on the other page so I do agree it's unlikely....

Bolt_Strike

skywake wrote:

A Pokemon at launch would be huge though and we are due for a new generation of Pokemon soon. With Black/White they held out with the previous generation because of how huge the DS was. With this next generation? I think it could go either way. Though I will point out that I didn't put it on that list I made on the other page so I do agree it's unlikely....

It wasn't because of the DS' popularity, it's because of its lifespan. The DS lasted much longer than previous handhelds so they needed a filler generation while they waited to get the 3DS devkit and work on XY. So whether or not 7th gen goes to the 3DS or NX depends on how long they've had the NX devkit, and if they just recently got it we may have to wait a bit longer for an NX game.

Bolt_Strike

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.