Forums

Topic: 2014 Year Of Wii U?

Posts 1 to 20 of 31

TheMainMii

With the launch many needed KEY titles for the Wii U such as Smash Bros. X, Bayonetta 2, and Mario Kart 8, IS next year the year of Wii U?
Will these games help the Wii U to come out of the slump that it is in? Do you think that after these games are out, third party developers will start to support Wii U fully? With the information, I think that these games will boost the sales of Wii U drastically, it will get the attention of third party developers but not all of them will be willing to commit to the big N at first. Nintendo needs this holiday season and next year to be very successful for Wii U or else Nintendo in my opinion, will scrap Wii U.
What are your thoughts?

Edited on by TheMainMii

I could go Super Sonic!
My body is ready!

3DS Friend Code: 1160-9720-8346 | Nintendo Network ID: B_BlackNinja_N

kalosn

Don't forget that Iwata said that high-skilled games would come in 2014!

kalosn

Melkaticox

If the Wii U DOES start selling well in 2014, 3rd party developers would be stupid to ignore it for another year...

Disney reviews written by Neil Sharpson, voiced by Erik Copper and edited by me on my channel! They're hilarious, I can promise you that.
http://www.youtube.com/user/Melkac/videos

Reala

I think a few of those games will spike wii u's sales like we've seen with a few select titles like WW HD for example, but then mostly likely go back to normal again, doubt it will attract any more big 3rd parties to jump on board suspect the opposite might be true, indies seem to like it though and you can't play those 1st party titles anywhere else, so even if the wii u truly bombs it can still be an enjoyable console to own all the same.

Reala

UnknownNico

I wish it was so, but it just doesn't seem meant to be.

I'm really running out of ideas for my signature.
I've got the power! The Hidden Power!
I used to run on blast processing. Now I'm 64-bit.
Currently playing: ARK: Survival Evolved, Splatoon
I AM STILL NEAR-PERFECT!!!

3DS Friend Code: 2664-2246-5075

Peach64

I don't think Bayonetta 2 or X will sell many consoles. Bayonetta and Xenoblade Chronicles were loved on the internet but they both sold in very few numbers. Mario Kart will be a big deal though.

Edited on by Peach64

Peach64

Kyloctopus

Nintendo has alot to face.
Sony:
Infamous Second Son
DriveClub
The Order

Microsoft:
Fable Legends
Halo 5
Project Spark
Quantum Break
Titanfall
And then of course, Killer Instinct will be updated more and more

I honestly think the Wii U could head to a path of irrelevance if Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros. don't hit it out of the park.

Kyloctopus

3DS Friend Code: 4897-5952-1236 | Nintendo Network ID: Kyloctopus | Twitter:

cookiex

Peach64 wrote:

I don't think Bayonetta 2 or X will sell many consoles. Bayonetta and Xenoblade Chronicles were loved on the internet but they both sold in very few numbers. Mario Kart will be a big deal though.

For a game being released in only limited quantities in the west (NoA tried everything in it's power to bury the game by making it GameStop exclusive) Xenoblade didn't do too shabby. The same can't be said for Bayonetta though.

Edited on by cookiex

cookiex
Self-appointed NintendoLife Hyrule Warriors ambassador

JonnyKong

I think it's safe to say the overall sales are probably going to look a tad embarrassing next to the PS4 and Xbone by the time they reach the end of their cycle, but that doesn't mean the Wii U sales are going to be drastically awful.

Mario Kart coming out next year will obviously be a big push into people buying the console. Didn't 27 or so million people buy the Wii version? That's crazy figures.

The main issue is Nintendo has nothing 'gimmicky' left to play because Wii Fit and Wii Sports are already out. People are bored of them. They need to come up with something else that has that wow factor to get people on board. But more importantly they need to focus on games, specifically third party ones, and that's why Nintendo needs to splash out. Wii U owners missed out on Tomb Raider, Bioshock Infinite, GTA etc.

At the end of the day, the Wii U isn't going anywhere. I can easily picture Nintendo creating games on it for at least another four years. Who cares if the sales aren't great, we're getting to play grade A quality games. It's other peoples losses if they choose to not buy a Wii U.

Edited on by JonnyKong

Nintendo ID: jonnylolface

MAN1AC

I'm pretty excited about the Wii U's 2014 lineup.
Smash Bros, X, and Bayonetta 2 are the three games that I'm dying to get my hands on. My only concern is software droughts. DK being pushed back to 2014 is not a good sign. Its Nintendo though so you never know. I just hope they can build and sustain some positive momentum with their software.

Peach64 wrote:

Probably not but I think its a step in the right direction. Nintendo has absolutely no chance of picking up their sales if all they have is re-hashed Nintendo games. One of their biggest issues with the Wii U is that their lineup is too predictable.

Four more months until Bayonetta 2.

3DS Friend Code: 0705-3088-6988 | Nintendo Network ID: MANIAC64

CanisWolfred

Probably not "The Year of the Wii U" Since that implies that it'll be the year the Wii U does fantastic. But it'll still be a better year for the Wii U regardless.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Snagrio

There is one factor that I don't think many here have pointed out that I think is well worth noting. Some time ago Iwata said that games will start to be revealed close to their respective release dates. A prime current example is Kirby Triple Deluxe (albeit a 3DS game). It was first shown last month, and is coming out in Japan in January. So there may be more to look forward to then we know of at the moment.

Maybe such secrets will be unveiled during a December or January Direct?

Edited on by Snagrio

Snagrio

3DS Friend Code: 4081-5821-0404 | Nintendo Network ID: WingedFish64

cookiex

JonnyKong wrote:

Mario Kart coming out next year will obviously be a big push into people buying the console. Didn't 27 or so million people buy the Wii version? That's crazy figures.

34 million and counting as of now, third highest selling game of all time even.

Edited on by cookiex

cookiex
Self-appointed NintendoLife Hyrule Warriors ambassador

JonnyKong

Jees Louise.

Here's hoping at least some of those 34 million decide to pick up a console.

Nintendo ID: jonnylolface

shingi_70

JonnyKong wrote:

Jees Louise.

Here's hoping at least some of those 34 million decide to pick up a console.

If they don't pick up a Wii U now than they won't next year. For all the talks of systems seller's people tend to forget that both Mario Kart Wii and New Super Mario Bros U came out when the WIi was at its height of the cultural Zeigiest and had a giant marketshare. The same can't be same for the Wii U and it will be telling if the Wii U doesn't see big bump this year when Nintendo is pushing everything to get the Wii U back on track. (A price drop, sequels to all the software that made the Wii a massive success, and a Mario in the vein of the one that helped the 3DS when it had a price cut).

If the Wii U doesn't see a massive influx this season than we can only expect gamecube numbers and there's a good chance that the current Adminstation will be put out to Pasture. The Wii U is currently a system without an audience to sell too other than the Nintendo faithful.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

DudeSean

B_BIackNinja_N wrote:

With the launch many needed KEY titles for the Wii U such as Smash Bros. X, Bayonetta 2, and Mario Kart 8, IS next year the year of Wii U?
Will these games help the Wii U to come out of the slump that it is in? Do you think that after these games are out, third party developers will start to support Wii U fully? With the information, I think that these games will boost the sales of Wii U drastically, it will get the attention of third party developers but not all of them will be willing to commit to the big N at first. Nintendo needs this holiday season and next year to be very successful for Wii U or else Nintendo in my opinion, will scrap Wii U.
What are your thoughts?

Super Smash Bros. and Mario Kart 8 are the two games I'm looking forward to most for next year. I'd like to think that Zelda will come out by the end of 2014, but it will probably come out in early 2015. I'm not sure how interested I will be in X, as it doesn't really seem to be my kind of game (one of those 80+ hours RPGs, I just don't have the time). I also haven't been very interested in the Bayonetta series. It seems to me like it's a God of War knock-off. For me, at least, those types of beat-em up games get old very quickly.

Even if Wii U sales do rocket, I see no reason to think that the major third parties will start supporting the Wii U. I mean, the Wii outsold the ps3 and xbox360, right? Yet they still didn't support the Wii very much. Nintendo would have to do something personally to convince these major third party publishers to create games for the Wii U. Their excuse is usually that Nintendo's systems aren't powerful enough and since the ps4 and xbox1 will be more powerful, I'm sure they'll stick with those systems.

Also, I think no matter how bad the Wii U does that Nintendo isn't going to scrap it. They didn't scrap the n64 or the gamecube. Considering the Wii U came out before the ps4 or xbox 1, I suppose it's likely that Nintendo's next home console will come out before the ps5 and xbox zero, regardless of how well the Wii U does. Plus, the Mario, Smash Bros and Zelda games will be enough to ensure that the Wii U isn't going to be a loss for Nintendo, so even though it likely won't sell anywhere near as much as ps4 or xbox1, it's still going to do well enough. There's certainly no need for doom and gloom stories. Worst case scenario, I'm sure Nintendo will still continue to produce handhelds. In fact, perhaps Nintendo's next system might be some sort of home console / handheld hybrid. I don't know how, but if anyone can do it, I'm sure it's Nintendo.

All that said, I hope that 2014 will be the best year that Wii U has seen yet.

DudeSean

Nintendo Network ID: DudeSean

Snagrio

I know I'm gonna get flamed for saying this, but I believe Nintendo should just forget about the majority of 3rd parties entirely. For the most part all they get from them are second rate ports that don't sell so the developers flak on Nintendo about the poor sales for their games that they didn't bother perfecting for the system anyway.

Besides that, most of 3rd party games are dudebro nitty-gritty shooters, in other words a genre that doesn't do well on Nintendo systems to begin with. Yes that's because of Nintendo's family friendly image, but that's not going to change by now.

Instead, the Big N really needs to tap much more into their giant franchise pool. They have one of if not the most diverse IP selection of the entire industry, and lately only a small percentage of that pool is being exploited. Get more teams, reboot old classics while still maintaining the top sellers and introducing new IPs, and finally, at least when more quote unquote "mature" start coming out diversify the marketing beyond happy-go-lucky family commercials.

Snagrio

3DS Friend Code: 4081-5821-0404 | Nintendo Network ID: WingedFish64

Blast

The Wii U should pick up steam in 2014 thanks to variousg games.
I hope people realize that Mario Kart 8 is the equivalent of Super Mario 3D World. Super Mario 3D World is a tribute to previous Mario games and brings new content and Mario Kart 8 will be the exact same thing.

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

NintendoLink

The biggest problem is marketing. For us game nerds, its easy to know about Wii U and what it is, but for the rest... whole other story.
I can count the nintendo commercials i have seen on tv on 1 hand, the wii u games are mixed with the wii games in the stores, stores arent pushing the wii u etc..
If i hadent been so interested about new consoles, i would never had known there is a new nintendo for sale, and its 1 freaking year after launch.

I still see people asking about wether they should buy the wii or wii u, and wondering about what the Wii U is etc. People even think the Wii U is a new DS machine because of the Gamepad.

Step it up Nintendo...

Edited on by NintendoLink

Wii U Mario Kart bundle - Mario kart 8, Monster hunter 3, Donkey Kong Tropical freeze
Wii U Nintendo ID - pockyNNrocky - ADD ME ! :)

3DS Friend Code: 0662-3551-3737 | Nintendo Network ID: POCKYnROCKY

triforcepower73

I'm of the opinion that no matter how well Nintendo does, 3rd parties will always see Nintendo as the outsider, or even completely ignore them. Until there is no other video game system developed by another company besides Nintendo, I don't see 3rd parties ever flocking to Nintendo to develop for them, even if they're the most popular. 3rd parties seem to have some wild grudge against Nintendo for some reason.

"The future doesn't belong to you!"
Waiting for: BOTW 2, Metroid Prime 4, Xenoblade Chronicles 3

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.