Forums

Topic: 2014 looks so good for Wii U...I think

Posts 1 to 20 of 23

kkslider5552000

At this point I don't even care if I'm at my lonely little table of 1, because this is the most I've been interested in Nintendo's current home console since E3 2010 software-wise. Yes, there's some things where I'm like "maybe you should something about this Nintendo" but Nintendo has at least finally entered the age of neverending indie games which are everywhere. And with Steam becoming increasingly ridiculous with releases and Greenlight (which I hope they fix for the sake of...gaming), this (and probably Vita) are the best indie boxes right now as far as I can tell. It helps that Nintendo has mostly stopped making games for an audience that got distracted by something else shiny and has finally run out of ways to try to use Mario as their get of irrelevance free card (Mario Kart aside, which is at least not the 20th platformer in the past couple of years).

Now, obviously this is personal preference, but it is the best timing possible that Nintendo's first party games are more consistently interesting to me just around the moment AAA 3rd parties kinda (at least for now) gave up on it. Or maybe worst timing depending on how you look at it...but anyway

-Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze: The release date is literally hours away. I was admittedly one of the people really disappointed when I found out this was Retro's main project but it isn't like I wasn't going to buy the sequel to one of my favorite platformers. And certain news seems to imply they'll be doing more things in the future, which is good. But as a 2D platformer, this just looks incredibly fun and I can't wait.
-X: I shouldn't have to explain this but Xenoblade is actually my favorite game of the past 5 years. That's (mostly) not a knock on other games considering how every 1/3 game I bought in 2009/10/11 I was praising as an amazing masterpiece or whatever but I went into this expecting an amazing game and it exceeded my expectations. And I'm going into this thinking there's a decent chance the mechs will hurt the game, just so I don't set myself up for too unreasonable expectations. But as long as they remember how Xenoblade worked so well and fix its few problems and all the rumors and vague details are true, this game will be, without any doubt, the best video game of this year.
-Smash Bros 4: Nintendo is wisely treating this as the most important game that ever existed, which is appreciated. It's the next Smash Bros, and I am going with the Wii U version of course. It's Smash Bros.
-Bayonetta 2: This is one of those games I regret not getting with the original. I really want to now, though I'm not sure my brain can handle playing Wonderful 101 (which is still amazing and you should totally buy it), and both Bayonetta games within the span of just one year. But everyone continues to call the original one of the, if not the, greatest action title of the past decade.
-Yoshi Yarn: I'd be surprised if this doesn't come out this year, and I'm interested in exactly what this will be like. Kirby's Epic Yarn was wonderful though even I'll admit I found myself meh at best towards the lack of traditional game challenge. I kinda want that in this game but we'll see.
-Hyrule Warriors: Zelda is one of like 4 gaming series where I can possibly justify wanting to get every game in a popular long running franchise and while I'm not expecting the best Zelda ever or even close, I'm kinda interested to see what the Warriors series is all about and this is a good excuse to give that a chance.
-Mario Kart 8: Part of me is a bit pessimistic towards this, but I think it'll be much better than 7 at least. I really loved the insanity of Wii, so I can't wait to see that again. Not sure if I'll get it anywhere near launch though. Part of me is actually considering getting the Sega racing game on its launch date, just to mess with everyone.
-NES Remix 2: Like NES Remix 1, except you care about more than a couple of the games! Sold!
-I'm also totally expecting a major game or two announced by E3 to come out this year, exclusive to Wii U.

Now 3rd party Wii U stuff is gonna be pretty minimal (at least in the first half of the year) but Watch_Dogs with Gamepad seems like a match made in heaven and there are few or no AAA upcoming titles that excite me more. Just the insanely awesome stuff you can do with technology alone makes me want to play it so bad, and it seems to fit naturally and brilliantly to a solid GTA-like game. And I tend to like Ubisoft's games quite a bit. Also Sonic Boom, honestly looks more fun than basically any 3D Sonic that isn't Colors or Generations from what they showed so I'm very interested in that. Also, good excuse as any to get into that Cybertron Transformers thing. Project Cars has more of a fanbase already on Wii U than a lot of 3rd party stuff for whatever reason. Ok. A few glimmers of hope at least.

But it's the downloadable stuff that really has me excited. Indies are another thing I've really been wanting to get into but for one reason or another usually didn't. But this lineup looks like so much constant fun.
-Child of Light: Ubisoft's official victory comes from being one of the only AAA companies to understand that you can make an impressive looking title with a sane budget because it is 2014 and downloadable games are popular. This game looks gorgeous, it is a JRPG from a western dev, which makes me happy to see the genre matters to people who matter outside of Japan. And it just looks a really unique and fun example of the genre. Honestly, this is essentially a recent Rayman quality game, it might as well be a retail release so that people can say it "counts" as a Wii U game that "matters" (it'll be funny when this so easily buries Splinter Cell and ACIV's sales even though it doesn't "count").
-Shovel Knight is the best game made in 1989, the fact that it comes out in 2014 doesn't hurt anything imo (especially since it still takes some advantage of the fact that it comes out much later than 1989). More than any other game, I buy this as a retro inspired classic.
-Two Brothers: I hope they really get the bugs worked out like they said they will (and are doing currently) when this comes out on Wii U. Even if it ends up being more flawed than I like, I still need to play this game.
-Tengami: Not even entirely sure what to think of this but it seems really interesting.
-FORCED I know for a fact having seen a playthrough of the early parts of the game is a really fun and brilliantly designed co-op game. Best way to describe it is I guess a new twist on a Gauntlet type game, except actually really good. It's really about the co-op though and I believe they said Wii U will have online co-op!
-Teslagrad, Revan, etc. Too many good Metroidvanias.
-2 Oddworld games are coming out, another series I've been interested to play but never got the chance. One seems like a unique shooter, the other like what The Cave should have been. From what I've seen at least.
-Hullbreach: Uncloaked: This is another game that is basically a retail worthy title that seems to just be an eShop game. It is a spaceship MMO type of game. AN MMO ON ESHOP. INSPIRED BY EVE ******* ONLINE. That's really, really ambitious because if you know anything about Eve Online, it is about how insane and amazing that community is. I've never played Eve Online but just reading about is constantly fascinating and if these guys can get even 1/10 of that in their game, I am so there.
-A Hat In Time has been the most inevitable "to be confirmed" release. It's gonna happen. And it is so nice to see a collectathon 3D platformer again, and one who seems to understand why those games worked (when they did work). A lot about it seems like a game I would have played on GCN had Rare stuck around pretty much.
-Scram Kitty: This is apparently the best game no one cares about. I've seen people swear that it's a fantastic replayable title. We'll see...
-The Girl and The Robot: It's trying to be Ico or something like it and it might actually succeed.
-Kickbeat. You beat up enemies to rhythm gameplay. SOLD.
-1001 Spikes. The game's kinda like a fair and sane and good version of IWBTG. I think.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

DefHalan

@kkslider5552000
I agree with you

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

DanMan82

@kkslider5552000

Good post! Glad to see strong optimism for the Wii U despite these trying times. I don't believe the software drought will affect me that much, but it looks like we are going to get some good indie titles on Wii U!

"If you accept the expectations of others, especially negative ones, then you never will change the outcome."- Michael Jordan
“I am thankful for all of those who said NO to me. Its because of them I’m doing it myself.” – ?????

MAN1AC

Its going to be a rough Spring but things will get better after E3. If Wii U owners could survive the lineup last year then I think they'll be satisfied with what is coming to the console in the 2nd part of this year.

I wonder if Nintendo makes an effort to get exclusive indie content on the Wii U. Nintendo supporters seem to love exclusive content for whatever reason and I think it would be cheaper than some of the moves they've done thus far that haven't really panned out for them outside of filling software gaps.

Four more months until Bayonetta 2.

3DS Friend Code: 0705-3088-6988 | Nintendo Network ID: MANIAC64

Blast

AWW YEAHHH!!!! I really enjoy my Wii U, too! We got a promising future!!! Our biggest sellers haven't even arrived yet

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

Gamecubed

It's good to see some optimism in a time where 80% of the new threads of the week in this section are about the Wii U's setbacks.
The gameplan for me this year is to cherry pick the bargain bins for Wii and PS3 titles while I wait for the next Wii U release. So it's not like I'll have nothing to play in those gaps. I'm sure I can find something. If not...... indie games.
I don't have a lot of money to burn on games since I'm going to college in the fall. So really, the Wii U is kind of like a godsend right now since it's keeping me on a money diet.

Gamecubed

64supermario

All of this and the GBA VC will be awesome, I honestly missed a crud ton of GBA games back in the day (I only cared about Pokemon at the time) so I'd love to get my hands on Advanced Wars, Golden Sun, Fire Emblem and so on.

Another indie you should totally check out @kkslider5552000 is Assauld Android Cactus and Stick it to the Man

Edited on by 64supermario

Boss Conquest and Epic Gamers on YouTube: www.youtube.com/channel/UCr-BdNM7x84aTBodCXQNlOg Also Majora's Mask is the best game ever! Search your feelings you know it to be true!

Nintendo Network ID: 64supermario | Twitter:

MuchoMochi

Gamecubed wrote:

It's good to see some optimism in a time where 80% of the new threads of the week in this section are about the Wii U's setbacks.
The gameplan for me this year is to cherry pick the bargain bins for Wii and PS3 titles while I wait for the next Wii U release. So it's not like I'll have nothing to play in those gaps. I'm sure I can find something. If not...... indie games.
I don't have a lot of money to burn on games since I'm going to college in the fall. So really, the Wii U is kind of like a godsend right now since it's keeping me on a money diet.

Coming from someone in their fourth semester in college, You are going to have a lot less time and money for gaming then you think Between the 3DS and the Wii U I'm doing just fine as far as games go. I don't even have time or money to pick up Tropical Freeze tomorrow! That being said I still am a bit frustrated with the drought that is coming, not because it'll affect me, but because I want the Wii U hate to stop.

3DS Friend Code: 2895-6767-5334

19Robb92

If they manage to get X, Yarn Yoshi, Hyrule Warriors & FExSMT out this year, it's going to be an amazing year

Looking forward to: No More Heroes: Travis Strikes Again

3DS Friend Code: 3007-8070-6318 | Nintendo Network ID: 19Robb92

Bolt_Strike

I think it depends on what they announce at E3. What they have now is all right, but it's not really awe inspiring enough to get people to buy consoles. And if they keep making more 3D World/Tropical Freeze/Mario Kart 8 type announcements, their situation won't improve by much. Too much of the Wii U's lineup is nostalgia fueled rehashes that don't really use the Gamepad, that needs to change if they want to turn things around this year.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

OptometristLime

DanMan82 wrote:

@kkslider5552000

Good post! Glad to see strong optimism for the Wii U despite these trying times. I don't believe the software drought will affect me that much, but it looks like we are going to get some good indie titles on Wii U!

I too am glad to see the growing support for indies, it's a wild card that Nintendo has played with flair. While big budget titles rob the industry of talent and precious time, the burgeoning independent scene creates a straightforward path for original works. This movement is still very young and not the golden ticket to a gaming smorgasbord, but there are forces at play to ensure the right games emerge and enjoy success.

Edited on by OptometristLime

You are what you eat from your head to your feet.

sub12

Good year for first party (will probably be stronger than 2013) bad year for third party (will probably be the same if not worse than 2013) = an ok year.

sub12

MAN1AC

sub12 wrote:

Good year for first party (will probably be stronger than 2013) bad year for third party (will probably be the same if not worse than 2013) = an ok year.

We're getting Bayonetta 2 though
Which will pretty much be the magnum opus of action games.

Hy8ogen

MAN1AC wrote:

Its going to be a rough Spring but things will get better after E3. If Wii U owners could survive the lineup last year then I think they'll be satisfied with what is coming to the console in the 2nd part of this year.

I wonder if Nintendo makes an effort to get exclusive indie content on the Wii U. Nintendo supporters seem to love exclusive content for whatever reason and I think it would be cheaper than some of the moves they've done thus far that haven't really panned out for them outside of filling software gaps.

Should I be proud or sad...? LOL

Nintendo fan since 6 years of age.
Owned: SNES, Gameboy, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance, DS, 3DS, Wii U, PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4 and PSP3000.

3DS Friend Code: 5472-8085-9073 | Nintendo Network ID: kkloveit

sub12

Bayonetta 2 is supported, published, and funded by Nintendo, I really wouldn't label it as third party per say. I played the original on the 360, and I agree that this game will likely be amazing.

sub12

MAN1AC

Bayonetta 2 is a 2nd party game.
But at least its a notable game that isnt a Nintendo IP.

Hy8ogen wrote:

Should I be proud or sad...? LOL

I little bit of both I guess lol.

Joeynator3000

I dunno, its kinda late for me tonight...but can't put into words...
But now I just don't care, as long as I'm enjoying the thing and the games Nintendo throws at me, I'm good. Screw the haters.

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

Csaw

MuchoMochi wrote:

Gamecubed wrote:

Coming from someone in their fourth semester in college, You are going to have a lot less time and money for gaming then you think Between the 3DS and the Wii U I'm doing just fine as far as games go. I don't even have time or money to pick up Tropical Freeze tomorrow! That being said I still am a bit frustrated with the drought that is coming, not because it'll affect me, but because I want the Wii U hate to stop.

I know what you mean, I'm also in my fourth semester and I have so many games I want to play and not enough time nor money to play them (still trying to get through Bravely Default). Still even if there's not a lot of Wii U games releasing, I'm really excited for what is releasing.

Csaw

banacheck

Bayonetta games within the span of just one year. But everyone continues to call the original one of the, if not the, greatest action title of the past decade.

Your also forgetting MGS:Rising but because it's not a Wii U title you may not like it.

banacheck

kkslider5552000

banacheck wrote:

Bayonetta games within the span of just one year. But everyone continues to call the original one of the, if not the, greatest action title of the past decade.

Your also forgetting MGS:Rising but because it's not a Wii U title you may not like it.

Ironically, I think I would enjoy Rising more than the main Solid series. I probably didn't play it because it was one of those early 2013 AAA titles that wasn't called Bioshock Infinite and thus I played Bioshock Infinite instead.

But the general opinion of what I've heard is that Bayonetta is Platinum's best game, and has gotten far more acclaim and I can't think of a remotely comparable 3D action title that's gotten more consistent acclaim, at the very least since post-GOW1.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.