Forums

Topic: Virtual Console Lag

Posts 1 to 13 of 13

Killamancer

Has anyone ever gotten lag on vc games? I have gotten lag on a neogeo game(metal slugs 2), a snes game(super metroid), and even an nes game(LoZ)! How does the original zelda lag but I get no lag on oot and majora's mask? There is one particular room in LoZ that lags so bad its almost unplayable.

3ds FC : 3823 - 8527 - 1863
Pokemon White FC : 3739 - 8843 - 9193

Corbs

Any lag I've gotten on the VC is already present in the original games. Have you ever played the actual Neo Geo version of Metal Slug 2. There's a reason they upgraded it and released it as Metal Slug X. LOL

Plain old gamer :)

KingMike

As to the original Zelda, slowdown is indeed very common in 8-bit games, and it happens on the original console. When you've got like 6 Blue Darknuts and fireball-spitters in the same room, I'm not sure how you'd manage it without the slowdown.
(if the question is why the VC doesn't remove the slowdown, it's just accurately representing the original NES. It can't really detect slowdown, or at least not whether it's intentional game design or not.)

Edited on by KingMike

KingMike

Killamancer

I never played the originals and had no idea. btw that room you where talking about is the same room I was referring to in my original post. lol

Punny

I've had slowdown in the original Zelda, Mega Man 2, and even Sonic the Hedgehog (ironic, huh?)! I'm guessing that this was a common thing in older games.

I'm back (for the moment)!

the_shpydar

Very common during the NES/8-bit era. Back then we just yelled out "slooooooooooooooowwwwww!!" when it happened. It was something expected and compensated for by us gamers back in the day, sometimes it was even helpful in some particularly hectic sections, sometimes hilarious when you saw you were just about to die but knew there was nothing you could do about it because it was happening in slow-mo.

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong.
Urban Champion is GLORIOUS.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5973-1398-6394 | 3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | My Nintendo: theShpydar | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

cheetahman91

Gradius III has a lot of slowdown too, but that's a problem with early SNES shooters in general.

Jesus is the only way.
It's OK to have an opinion. This ain't the Soviet Union you know.
Letterboxd
Youtube Channel

Switch Friend Code: SW-2350-3570-9923 | Nintendo Network ID: cheetahman91

theblackdragon

personally, i love those moments of lag and video glitchery in my VC games, it's just like playing them on their original systems. so glad they survived intact :3

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter:

the_shpydar

theblackdragon wrote:

personally, i love those moments of lag and video glitchery in my VC games, it's just like playing them on their original systems. so glad they survived intact :3

Agreed. I love those moments, probably just purely for nostalgia reasons. There's certain parts in certain games (the blue darknut room mentioned above comes to mind) that would seem weird and "wrong" to me if they didn't have the slow-down.

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong.
Urban Champion is GLORIOUS.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5973-1398-6394 | 3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | My Nintendo: theShpydar | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

KingMike

cheetahman91 wrote:

Gradius III has a lot of slowdown too, but that's a problem with early SNES shooters in general.

Oh man, that plant boss' mouth weakpoint just flickers like crazy!

KingMike

Killamancer

Link-Hero wrote:

Every game on the VC runs on an emulator. If you don't know what an emulator is, it's a program that emulates the original console's hardware. Since the emulator emulates the original console's hardware, all the games will perform nearly exactly like you're playing on the console it was originally made for, including all the graphical glitches and slowdowns.

I know its ran on an emulator, its not like they reprogrammed or ported every game. Most if not all emulators on the pc will run the game at the full framerate (or as fast as your pc can render it if you remove the framerate cap). The wii's emulator must be limiting the amount of proccesor and ram available to the game.

Edited on by Killamancer

Rensch

It's really annoying in the Mega Man games for NES.

Friend code 3DS: 4210-4747-2358

• Page 1 of 1

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.