Forums

Topic: Statement : "You shouldn't have to pay for games you already have or had"

Posts 41 to 56 of 56

JGMR

theblackdragon wrote:

fightin' the powah? lol...

Haha. Why fight something that u can use? Authorities (in whatever degree) always try to convince you that you are powerless and even a sinner, and that power is something outside of yourself, while you had it for yourself from the very beginning. I'm no hippy or punk trying to defeat the 'boo-hoo system', i'm just ignoring corruption, and by ignoring it i'm ending it... it's that easy.

Oh and as i said several times on NL; Flash memory wears out because of the read & write cycles of the Wii. Cartridges can last for decades, and batteries can be easily replaced... I agree that the VC has advantages, but the downsides outweighs all of them...

Edited on by JGMR

With kind regards,

JGMR

Digiki

90's Gamer wrote:

Haha. Why fight something that u can use? Authorities (in whatever degree) always try to convince you that you are powerless and even a sinner, and that power is something outside of yourself, while you had it for yourself from the very beginning. I'm no hippy or punk trying to defeat the 'boo-hoo system', i'm just ignoring corruption, and by ignoring it i'm ending it... it's that easy.

So what is the basis of this belief?

Also your testimony is unclear due to some contradictions. Like ignoring corruption ending it, which would actually allow it to freely continue. The contradiction is furthered when you questioned why one should fight power when it can be used, you seemed to imply that you use it, yet ignoring it is clearly not using it.

The meaning of this sentence "Authorities (in whatever degree) always try to convince you that you are powerless and even a sinner, and that power is something outside of yourself, while you had it for yourself from the very beginning." is not something I could decipher, so if you could testify further about it that would be helpful, however I can say that dealing in absolutes is a good way to form a poor argument, applying them onto stereotypes is even worse.

JGMR

No belief, experience

What do you do when u see a deadly snake? Going straight to it? Probably not. So, what do you do when u are tempted by something as lethal as corruption? Right... Observing is enough to take action or rather non-action that is another form of action. People who want to rule over others always want to give the idea you can vote them out.

Sometimes activity LOOKS like passivity, yet it is the use of your own intelligence. Introversion vs. extroversion.

Edited on by JGMR

With kind regards,

JGMR

Digiki

The amount of sense that response did not make is staggering.

First off all I suppose I'll address what I can make out of your argument. What I got is "I'm not corrupt, therefore I hinder corruption", which is not true seeing as how you're taking a path of inaction.

You said something baffling about not being inactive, but it doesn't make sense. Seems you're mentioning something about your opposition being in your mind, yet when has unproclaimed (or acted upon) ill-will ever brought harm to anything?

SpentAllMyTokens

90%27s+Gamer wrote:

Or the girl you met at a party only wants to exchange mail-addresses, not phone-numbers so you can hear each other's voice.

Fun fact: If she's only giving you her email, she's either not all that interested in you or is, at best, little wary since you just met. She doesn't want to be rude and say no to you directly. She's also worried you'll never get the hint and call a billion times a day. It's easier/less annoying to delete emails and block your address than it is to hear her phone ring on the hour every hour, no matter how clearly she says she's not interested.

Fun Fact #2: Even if you she DID like you this is annoying. If she liked you, she'd call you back. This has happened to every girl, so unless you really got to talk for a while and she's seriously interested, she's got her guard up for potential stalker-types. That's why you get the email.

It's other desperate/socially awkward guys who are ruining it for everyone. It's not that girls want to be impersonal, they're just playing good D.

Untitled

Edited on by SpentAllMyTokens

I am way too lazy to think of something clever.
My Backloggery

Bass_X0

What a strange turn this topic has taken.

And I can't help but feel partly responsible.

Edgey, Gumshoe, Godot, Sissel, Larry, then Mia, Franziska, Maggie, Kay and Lynne.

I'm throwing my money at the screen but nothing happens!

Aviator

@Token I just noticed your avatar winks.

QUEEN OF SASS

It's like, I just love a cowboy
You know
I'm just like, I just, I know, it's bad
But I'm just like
Can I just like, hang off the back of your horse
And can you go a little faster?!

Sean_Aaron

I think Bass hit the nail on the head. For some reason people feel like digital goods should be different from anything else; games in particular. Try going to apple and telling them you deserve to get all the music you have on CD/LP/Cassette from their shop for free because you have the CDs...

BLOG, mail: [email protected]
Nintendo ID: sean.aaron

Weskerb

1up to 90's Gamer

Weskerb

Punny

Welcome to Nintendo Life, billy-beauts!

You should pay for any game, unless it's (legally) free.

I'm back (for the moment)!

grenworthshero

lz2010 wrote:

grenworthshero wrote:

I don't really have a problem with that, because they are digital, and look better on today's TVs, so it's not like it's exactly the same, and no one's forcing you to buy it. The problem I have, though, is that you don't really own it; you just own the license to play it on your console, which is really lame.

That's true for ALL video games

What's true? That you only buy the license? Because that is definitely not true. That's the reason I can look to my left and see hundreds of disc- and cartridge-based games on my shelves.

PSN ID: grenworthshero
Steam: grenworthshero
WiiU: grenworthshero
YouTube--backloggery--tumblr--

Nintendo Network ID: grenworthshero

Raylax

90's Gamer wrote:

theblackdragon wrote:

fightin' the powah? lol...

I don't quite understand the authorities-are-corrupt-so-fight/ignore-them logic. I mean, even if they /are/ in some way morally bankrupt, authorities are the reason you're sat in your house, why you've got clean water and hospitals, and on-topic, why services to download games and music etc exist in the first place. I have nothing against 'the man,' because 'the man' has given us a decidedly comfortable lifestyle. I'll accept the occasional ploy from them to get me to buy stuff I don't actually need, because I'm aware I don't live in a utopian paradise, nor do I expect to.

Raylax

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1400-0117 | Nintendo Network ID: RaylaxKai

SpentAllMyTokens

Sean Aaron wrote:

I think Bass hit the nail on the head. For some reason people feel like digital goods should be different from anything else; games in particular. Try going to apple and telling them you deserve to get all the music you have on CD/LP/Cassette from their shop for free because you have the CDs...

To be fair it's easier (and unambiguously legal, at least here in the US) to rip your CD and put it on iTunes while keeping your hard copy. There's no NEED to rebuy a digital version as far as music is concerned. That being said, when you bought your original game carts, you had no expectation of that ever including a digital copy. You got what you paid for. I haven't rebought anything I have on older systems yet (or bought new anything that I could buy in cart form), because I prefer playing on the original system. For systems I don't have though, it's great. If you have them, the question is basically do you want to pay for the convenience of having most of your favorites on one machine.

I am way too lazy to think of something clever.
My Backloggery

Bass_X0

The thing about physical objects is that they take up space. I've filled up about eight pages of my SD card with games. I would not like to have those same games in physical format because they would take up a significant amount of space. Oh, sure there are games that I doubt I will play again much but as cheap as I've paid for them and as widely available as they are, there would not be much of a resell value if they were physical games and I wanted to sell them. But as digital downloads they don't take up less room if were able to sell them so there's no harm in keeping them. I'll probably eventually play them again sometime much later.

I do accept that one day my Wii will probably break and I may lose all my downloads. So I treat it as a kind of long-term rental service. 800 points for a game I've had downloaded for years and racked up many hours playing isn't bad for a "rental". I make myself play games that I have not played much just so I feel like I get my money's worth out of them. Although I sometimes do make mistakes, I only choose games that I know I would enjoy or have a strong feeling that I would enjoy it. This is why I rarely download WiiWare titles; because I don't already know whether the game is good or not. Even highly rated games may be unsuitable for me - I didn't enjoy the World of Goo demo much and I am glad I did not download it based solely because it was hyped a lot.

Also, cartridges are more likely to stop working now because of their age. There is no virtue in owning a rare game if you can't play the game on it. Games are supposed to be played - the cartridge is just a means to play it. Physically, Super Mario Bros. 3 is no different to Donkey Kong Jr. Maths. You say your games are valuable to you because you are able to hold them physically, well my Wii becomes more valuable to me with each new download. So as long as I could say that I got my money's worth out of each download when the envitable happens, I can still be able to smile. Then I would just "renew" my rental of games that I really enjoy playing by downloading them again although obviously I would not try to regain my entire collection.

Another thing; I've sold almost all my old games. I sold the Secret of Mana cartridge for about the equivalent of 4000 points then downloaded it on the Wii. Profit. The same for N64 Paper Mario. Both cartridges had been lying in a drawer for most of the last ten years unplayed and never to be played again. I had no satisfaction in owning the cartridges, so why not give those games a new lease of life on the Wii?

Edgey, Gumshoe, Godot, Sissel, Larry, then Mia, Franziska, Maggie, Kay and Lynne.

I'm throwing my money at the screen but nothing happens!

Raylax

Whichever way you look at it, whether it's physical or download, paying money does not automatically grant that object eternal life. Eventually it will break. And then if you wish to play it again, you will have to purchase it again.

Raylax

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1400-0117 | Nintendo Network ID: RaylaxKai

Funky_Gamer

Yeah, but they do what they do because of piracy reasons.

"Remember: when life rocks you, RAWK BACK!" ~Rawk Hawk
FNS: Y B L R R R B >

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.