Forums

Topic: SMB3 Question

Posts 1 to 19 of 19

retired_account

@AlexSays: I googled this already!

Does Super Mario Bros. 3 let you continue from the same world if you get a game over, like in SMB1? If so, is there a limited amount of continues?

retired_account

theblackdragon

yes, it does allow you to continue from the same world if you get a game over, but you'll restart back at the first stage of that world. it'll be like you had just gotten there, with all the stages back for you to defeat, and all the toad houses will be back too. can't remember off the top of my head if unlocked paths re-lock themselves or rocks broken via hammer reappear or not, and i don't think you lose all your items, but i could be wrong about that. 's been a while since i game over'd in SMB3. :3

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter:

retired_account

Thanks a lot! With the Wii's suspend play feature I can beat it at my leisure. Woot, now I have to decide whether to get this or SMB1, hmmmm...

retired_account

J-Man

Go to the 3rd panel on the map of the first level. Find a white platform block near the end and hold down. After that Mario will fall into the background. After that run for the goal. This is how you can get a whistle. Second one is in the fort in World 1. Get a leaf and fly over the ceiling. Run to the end of the ceiling and hit up. You get the second whistle. They transport you to other levels.

J-Man

Adam

Sorry to burst your bubble, but SMB1 doesn't have that feature. Game over is game over in the first game. SMB2 (both versions) do have this though. You must be thinking of the All Stars version.

So if that is an issue, go with SMB3.

Personally, I grew up liking 3 and World the best, but ever since I downloaded 1 and 2 (JP) on VC and played them in their non-All Stars version for the first time since I was 5, probably (well, first time ever for 2), I've enjoyed those games much more. They're shorter games, but I enjoy the simplicity, and trying to get through SMB1 in one try (no warps) is a great challenge that you can complete in one sitting.

Edited on by Adam

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

LinktotheFuture

There is a code to continue in SMB, I think it is holding Start AB, or holding Select, Start AB after you lose your last life.

The chickens are restless.
3DS Friend Code: 1547-5282-6926

Adam

Ah, and just when I thought there was nothing left for me to learn about the game.

Thanks, I'll give it a try out of curiosity, though I like playing the normal way, myself.

Come on, friends,

retired_account

@Adam: Yeah, that's what I was referring to.

@J-Man: Yup, knew about the whistles. Thanks though!

retired_account

Sean_Aaron

Having to restart the world after continuing blows big time, but I guess it's better than restarting the entire game!

BLOG, mail: [email protected]
Nintendo ID: sean.aaron

Adam

If you're struggling that much with the game, make your first goal of each world to be beating the fortress. Usually it will unlock a shorter path that stays open once you have to continue. For instance, if you beat the fort in the first world, then get game over (how someone would get game over on world one is beyond me, but it's an example!), because the lock will now be gone, you can skip the first four levels (well, you never needed to beat levels 3 and 4 in this world anyway).

Come on, friends,

warioswoods

@pixelman

Don't you stock up on like 50 lives in the second level? ... I guess that makes it a bit too easy, but I always stayed right there at the pipes for a while jumping on goombas.

@Adam

You never knew about continuing in the first SMB?? Man, you made it harder on yourself than need be.

Twitter is a good place to throw your nonsense.
Wii FC: 8378 9716 1696 8633 || "How can mushrooms give you extra life? Get the green ones." -

retired_account

After you beat a fortress (and game over), a path unlocks so you can completely skip the levels you previously completed.

@wariowoods: No?!

Edited on by retired_account

retired_account

warioswoods

You know what I'm talking about, right? Unlimited lives in the second level of SMB3 ? Repeatedly jumping on the goombas that come out of the pipes, while using the tail to slow your descent? You can easily get 50 at once, without even having to repeat 1-2.

There's one other great spot for endless lives in SMB3, even more devious -- in the third world. The 1UP machine, where you can just sit there and watch your lives climb until time runs out.

Edited on by warioswoods

Wii FC: 8378 9716 1696 8633 || "How can mushrooms give you extra life? Get the green ones." -

retired_account

Snap, didn't know about it. Thanks!

retired_account

Danny_August

Do you not pass GO and collect 200 dollars?

Direct quote: Bork, Bork, Bork

warioswoods

Looks like someone has already put up an informative video of all these techniques on YouTube.

EDIT: I generally used techniques 1, 2, 3, and 6 shown here. It's been a long time, though...

Edited on by warioswoods

Adam

No, I never knew about the continue trick in SMB1. Of course, as a kid I mostly played it on All-Stars where you didn't need a trick for it. But now that I play the original more, I prefer to play until Game Over. It's not a particularly difficult game to begin with until you get to World 8.

Lost Levels, however, I will definitely be using those continues every chance I get. I can't believe I still haven't beaten the original version despite having infinite continues and the "save state" feature (not really a save state, but it does allow me to start from the same world without having to replay the early worlds every time I power on).

Come on, friends,

Dezner

weirdadam wrote:

Lost Levels, however, I will definitely be using those continues every chance I get. I can't believe I still haven't beaten the original version despite having infinite continues and the "save state" feature (not really a save state, but it does allow me to start from the same world without having to replay the early worlds every time I power on).

I'm still stuck on World 8, so you're not alone. I might have gotten to 8-4 only once, to no avail. I need to have Fire Mario at the end of 8-1, otherwise I'm screwed during 8-3. Damn Hammer Bros!

Wii: 6882-4334-4721-0727 --- PSN: OrangeGouf --- XBL: Orange Gouf

Uguu!

Twitter:

• Page 1 of 1

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.