Forums

Topic: VC Recommendations thread

Posts 841 to 860 of 1,082

SKTTR

G4L wrote:

@SKTTR, which version has unlimited continues?

The NES PAL version without a button combo and the NES US version with a button combo.

I guess the Arcade version has unlimited credits, like every other arcade game on the service, but I'm not sure.

I wanted to give the arcade version a try but from what I heard it's essentially almost exactly like the NES version, so I saved my points for other games.

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

SparkOfSpirit

CaptainN wrote:

I have played and really like the 8-bit versions of Sonic the Hedgehog and Sonic the Hedgehog 2. That being said, how is Sonic Chaos? I have never played it before and it really doesn't seem to have that great of reviews but then again neither did Ninja Gaiden III or Castlevania II and I like both those games anyway. So what do you guys think, is it worth it or am I better off passing it over?

Sonic Chaos is good if you really like Sonic 1 and 2 8-bit. It's pretty easy, but has really fun levels and you can play as Tails in it.

The 8-bit Sonic games are great. Really underrated.

“A thing may be too sad to be believed or too wicked to be believed or too good to be believed; but it cannot be too absurd to be believed in this planet of frogs and elephants, of crocodiles and cuttle-fish.”
― G.K. Chesterton

RevolverLink

Emaan1 wrote:

Just got Kirby's Adventure (NES) its great

I love Kirby's Adventure. With all due respect to Super Star and Canvas Curse, it's probably my favorite game in the series.

The Revloggery

Switch Friend Code: SW-4605-3581-8608 | 3DS Friend Code: 4339-3392-1142 | Nintendo Network ID: RevolverLink

e-love

I absolutely LOVE Kirby Super Star!

✰ not around as much as I used to be ✰

misswliu81

Emaan1 wrote:

I'm not sure about the way Metroid II : Return of Samus looks though. I love retro graphics, but some Game Boy games really don't look good now.

don't let the look of the graphics put you off. it's still a good game. i personally think it looks better than the first metroid, but that's me.

misswliu81

Nintenbro

@RevolverLink, I downloaded Kirby's Adventure awhile ago, but I've only played until the 5th stage. I have so many WiiWare and VC games, sometimes it's hard to figure out what I'm actually in the mood for. I really need to get back to it sometime. There's 40 levels altogether, correct? Also, is Hard Mode actually worth a revisit?

@Emann1, I've heard Kirby Super Star is a great game, but what sets it apart from let's say Kirby's DreamLand 3?

@Anybody, is there a thread where I could discuss Y's Book 1&2?

Edited on by Nintenbro

Nintendo Bro
3DS FC: 3222-6658-7489

Currently waiting for Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon & Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate

brooks83

@G4L - There is probably an Y's thread buried way back. If you can't find one, just start a new one, I don't think the mods will mind.

brooks83

CanisWolfred

G4L wrote:

Is, "Vectorman," any good guys? I really enjoyed Metroid, and I recently downloaded, "Super Metroid," as well. Which for me, just screams, "Nintendo!" This is also the case with, "Vectorman". For me, it just screams, "Sega!"

Vectorman is great all around. Lots of good times with that one. I don't recall VM2 being as good, though.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Nintenbro

Thanks @Mickeymac, I remember Vectorman from when I was younger. I never owned a Sega Genesis, and I never actually seen it in action either.

Edited on by Nintenbro

Nintendo Bro

Currently waiting for Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon & Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate

Nintenbro

How many levels in total are there in Kirby's Adventure? I'd like to know how many I have left to complete, before I can begin playing Super Star. Which I just spent 150 coins on.

Nintendo Bro

PoorVGameNerd

Metroid II is the only 2D Metroid game I've ever owned and I loved it. Download it. I know the old black and white graphics are pretty dull but the game is an absolute classic. There are three endings depending on how fast you beat it, so there is incentive to play through it a second time.

www.poorvideogamenerd.com
Retro Nintendo Game Reviews

CanisWolfred

PoorVGameNerd wrote:

Metroid II is the only 2D Metroid game I've ever owned and I loved it. Download it. I know the old black and white graphics are pretty dull but the game is an absolute classic. There are three endings depending on how fast you beat it, so there is incentive to play through it a second time.

Wrong VC.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Gamesake

Axelay or Gate of Thunder?

...in my pants.

PoorVGameNerd

@Mickeymac

Sorry, I meant to post that in the "Metroid II Impressions" thread. Have posted it there now. Thanks. For anyone who hasn't already downloaded them, I highly recommend Mega Man 2 and 3. They are among the few NES games I would give a perfect 10.

Edited on by PoorVGameNerd

www.poorvideogamenerd.com
Retro Nintendo Game Reviews

CanisWolfred

Gamesake wrote:

Axelay or Gate of Thunder?

That's a good question. Gate of Thunder looks really good, but it also seems like an R-Type Clone with little unique to it other than a fantastic soundtrack.

Then there's Axelay, which I found to be extremely disappointing. I only played the first 2 or 3 stages, but they were terribly designed, IMO. Unless they get way better from there on, I can't really recommend it. Plus, I found weapon system very clunky.

Again, I haven't played GoT, so I can't recommend it, but I definitely don't recommend Axelay, either.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Bassman_Q

Ok, here's a question: Dragon's Trap (TG-16) or Faxanadu (NES)?
If I understand correctly, they're both action RPG's. After DL'ing MWIV (which is awesome, by the way!), I have 600 points on my account. Which should I get?

Bassman_Q

Nintendo Network ID: QwikStix42

Nintenbro

@Qwikman_N_Bass, I haven't experienced either of those two games yet, but I have an inkling you should download Dragon's Trap.

Nintendo Bro

Gamesake

Faxanadu is one of the best NES games on the VC. I sometimes see gamers compare it to the Adventure of Link, but Faxanadu is better. It's cool how equipping new armor changes your character's appearance and the music is great stuff. I don't think you'll like it as much as MWIV though. It's not as colorful, the platforming is a lot simpler and less forgiving, it has a password system instead of game saves, and I wouldn't say it has much in the way of puzzles-not like MW IV anyway. Fax also has a laughably bad translation, but I dig old stuff like that. Faxanadu's game length is about the same as MW IV BTW.

...in my pants.

CanisWolfred

I found both games hard to play after Monster World IV. The platforming is a little loose in both games. I'd give the edge to Dragon's Curse because of the save system and the monster transformations, but you'll be good-but-not-great with either.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic