Wii Virtual Console Forum

Topic: VC Recommendations thread

Showing 341 to 360 of 1,108

AuthorMessage
Avatar

NotEnoughGolds

341. Posted:

StarBoy91 wrote:

@MickeyMouseMac - it's not awkward, it's funny. :D And I really like pushing enemies to defeat them. :) But, everyone has their own viewpoint; and I respect peoples' opinions.
The first half of Ys Book I & II can be beaten without the aid of a guide.

The second half can as well.

NotEnoughGolds

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WanderFan91

342. Posted:

@NotEnoughGolds - I can imagine that it's the case (I admit I used the guide sometimes when I first played through Ys Book I & II whenever I got stuck). Ys is pretty short and straightforward (once you know what to do), and Ys II: Anicent Ys Vanished implemented a little more challenge and longevity. What gets to me about the latter half of the VC game is that one area where you're in the sewers; it's such a huge maze. I started Ys Book I & II the second time long ago, and I thought of going through it all with no guides (so far so good, but then a brown-out occured one time while I was playing, and I'm afraid of whether or not the file has been saved).

Edited on by WanderFan91

AKA StarBoy91
Wanderloggery | StarBlog
Check out my Personal Super Famicom Recommendations
Massive retro gamer with a heart <3
Big Wander Over Yonder fan
23 and proud =)
To each their own

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

343. Posted:

NotEnoughGolds wrote:

Mickeymac wrote:

NotEnoughGolds wrote:

Alternatively, you could play Ys Book I & II, and it probably will become your next favorite RPG.

Or your least favorite game, depending on whether or not you can get into the awkward combat system.:P

What's so awkward about plowing over enemies?

In case you haven't read the comments on Ys' page, a lot of people found it difficult to adjust to. Even I took over an hour before I finally got it down, and I usually don't have much trouble with controls.

Mecha Wolf Prime

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi
Scary Wolfrun...
...Scared Wolfrun

Arooo~

AuthorMessage
Avatar

kalle3004

344. Posted:

I have bought wii points today (currently have 2100 points) and I am asking for recommendations. I like strategy games and rpg's. I however have already downloaded Secret Of Mana and I have Final Fantasy 4 on DS.

I also have a question about Super Mario RPG: is it like in Mario & Luigi: Partners In Time that you have to press a button to do more damage? Because I found that a bit irritating.

kalle3004

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Punny

345. Posted:

kalle3004 wrote:

I have bought wii points today (currently have 2100 points) and I am asking for recommendations. I like strategy games and rpg's. I however have already downloaded Secret Of Mana and I have Final Fantasy 4 on DS.

I also have a question about Super Mario RPG: is it like in Mario & Luigi: Partners In Time that you have to press a button to do more damage? Because I found that a bit irritating.

You don't have to, but you can do a timed button press to deal more damage. It's not as necessary as the button presses in the Mario & Luigi games, though. Either way, download Super Mario RPG!

I'm back (for the moment)!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

kalle3004

346. Posted:

PunnyGuy wrote:

kalle3004 wrote:

I have bought wii points today (currently have 2100 points) and I am asking for recommendations. I like strategy games and rpg's. I however have already downloaded Secret Of Mana and I have Final Fantasy 4 on DS.

I also have a question about Super Mario RPG: is it like in Mario & Luigi: Partners In Time that you have to press a button to do more damage? Because I found that a bit irritating.

You don't have to, but you can do a timed button press to deal more damage. It's not as necessary as the button presses in the Mario & Luigi games, though. Either way, download Super Mario RPG!

Thank you for the advice. Anything else you think I should download?

kalle3004

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Punny

347. Posted:

kalle3004 wrote:

PunnyGuy wrote:

kalle3004 wrote:

I have bought wii points today (currently have 2100 points) and I am asking for recommendations. I like strategy games and rpg's. I however have already downloaded Secret Of Mana and I have Final Fantasy 4 on DS.

I also have a question about Super Mario RPG: is it like in Mario & Luigi: Partners In Time that you have to press a button to do more damage? Because I found that a bit irritating.

You don't have to, but you can do a timed button press to deal more damage. It's not as necessary as the button presses in the Mario & Luigi games, though. Either way, download Super Mario RPG!

Thank you for the advice. Anything else you think I should download?

You're welcome! You seem like the kind of person that like RPGs, so I recommend Paper Mario (even though it has timed button presses; that comes later, though, and has a tutorial on it) and Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Calibur. Also, any of the Zelda games are great purchases, particularly Ocarina of Time and A Link to the Past. You also seem to like Mario, so you can't go wrong with Super Mario Bros. 3. If you already downloaded any of these, then you have good taste!

I'm back (for the moment)!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

kalle3004

348. Posted:

PunnyGuy wrote:

kalle3004 wrote:

PunnyGuy wrote:

kalle3004 wrote:

I have bought wii points today (currently have 2100 points) and I am asking for recommendations. I like strategy games and rpg's. I however have already downloaded Secret Of Mana and I have Final Fantasy 4 on DS.

I also have a question about Super Mario RPG: is it like in Mario & Luigi: Partners In Time that you have to press a button to do more damage? Because I found that a bit irritating.

You don't have to, but you can do a timed button press to deal more damage. It's not as necessary as the button presses in the Mario & Luigi games, though. Either way, download Super Mario RPG!

Thank you for the advice. Anything else you think I should download?

You're welcome! You seem like the kind of person that like RPGs, so I recommend Paper Mario (even though it has timed button presses; that comes later, though, and has a tutorial on it) and Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Calibur. Also, any of the Zelda games are great purchases, particularly Ocarina of Time and A Link to the Past. You also seem to like Mario, so you can't go wrong with Super Mario Bros. 3. If you already downloaded any of these, then you have good taste!

Aside from Ogre battle (Which I just read the review of; it looks really awesome) I already have all those games. Thanks again, I have one more question though: is downloading the first final fantasy worth it?

kalle3004

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Punny

349. Posted:

kalle3004 wrote:

PunnyGuy wrote:

kalle3004 wrote:

PunnyGuy wrote:

kalle3004 wrote:

I have bought wii points today (currently have 2100 points) and I am asking for recommendations. I like strategy games and rpg's. I however have already downloaded Secret Of Mana and I have Final Fantasy 4 on DS.

I also have a question about Super Mario RPG: is it like in Mario & Luigi: Partners In Time that you have to press a button to do more damage? Because I found that a bit irritating.

You don't have to, but you can do a timed button press to deal more damage. It's not as necessary as the button presses in the Mario & Luigi games, though. Either way, download Super Mario RPG!

Thank you for the advice. Anything else you think I should download?

You're welcome! You seem like the kind of person that like RPGs, so I recommend Paper Mario (even though it has timed button presses; that comes later, though, and has a tutorial on it) and Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Calibur. Also, any of the Zelda games are great purchases, particularly Ocarina of Time and A Link to the Past. You also seem to like Mario, so you can't go wrong with Super Mario Bros. 3. If you already downloaded any of these, then you have good taste!

Aside from Ogre battle (Which I just read the review of; it looks really awesome) I already have all those games. Thanks again, I have one more question though: is downloading the first final fantasy worth it?

To tell you the truth, I have not downloaded the first Final Fantasy game. However, from what I've read, it looks like one of the finer titles in the NES library. Final Fantasy IV is superior, but Final Fantasy I is not a bad game. It could be worse. It could be Donkey Kong Jr. Math (the horror)!

I'm back (for the moment)!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Lotice-Paladin

350. Posted:

Final Fantasy is indeed a very good NES game...but it is pretty dated if you compared it to the platformers of it's time. :

My Starloggery

Main Final Fantasy & Quest/Shinobi Team fan...but I do like many SEGA games and a few Nintendo games.

I can be cute if I want to be, but I choose not to...as it's not my style.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Hokori

351. Posted:

Final Fantasy 1 and Phantasy Star 1 are both good RPGs.

Digitaloggery
3DS FC: Otaku1
WiiU: 013017970991
Nintendo of Japan
niconico community is full of kawaii!
Must finish my backlagg or at least get close this year
Welcome to my emassary of doom >: }

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Lotice-Paladin

352. Posted:

I'd say Phantasy Star is less dated then Final Fantasy if you had to compare them...but the first person styled battling is not something I'd like to play sadly....I think that is why I don't really like the series (Although 4 improves greatly over all of them).

Edited on by Lotice-Paladin

My Starloggery

Main Final Fantasy & Quest/Shinobi Team fan...but I do like many SEGA games and a few Nintendo games.

I can be cute if I want to be, but I choose not to...as it's not my style.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

353. Posted:

kalle3004 wrote:

I have bought wii points today (currently have 2100 points) and I am asking for recommendations. I like strategy games and rpg's. I however have already downloaded Secret Of Mana and I have Final Fantasy 4 on DS.

I also have a question about Super Mario RPG: is it like in Mario & Luigi: Partners In Time that you have to press a button to do more damage? Because I found that a bit irritating.

Its even more irritating in SMRPG since you never actually make contact with your enemy, making timing more of a guessing game than anything else.

As for Strategy Games, I'd recommend Shining Force, Ogre Battle, and Uncharted Waters myself. They're all pretty awesome games. Shining Force is more RPG than strategy, though, and Ogre Battle is more of an RTS in a way. There's also Military Madness if you want a more traditional type of strategy game, and if you're looking for a sort-of-tower-defense-game-that-came-out-before-tower-defense-was-even-invented, there's Metal Marines.

As for RPG, the best traditional story-based game that you haven't got is Breath of Fire 2. If you're looking for something a little more old-school, with the emphasis being more on adventure and challenge, look no further than FF1 and Phantasy Star 1. Out of any other game in their class, they do the best job of having an interesting adventure with a balanced challenge that's rarely frustrating so long as you know what you're doing (i.e. don't venture into areas the villagers tell you to avoid, don't run from fights, make sure you got the best armor you can buy, etc.). There's also Fatal Labyrinth if you're looking for a good Rogue-like (actually, its the only rogue-like, and its a bit unfair at times), and Shining in the Darkness if you're looking for a FPRPG that never loses perspective. As for action RPGs, there's Ys Book 1 & 2, which is very good if you don't get turned off by the unorthadox combat system.

That's about all I can recommend. Hope I could be of help.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

Mecha Wolf Prime

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi
Scary Wolfrun...
...Scared Wolfrun

Arooo~

AuthorMessage
Avatar

kalle3004

354. Posted:

Mickeymac wrote:

kalle3004 wrote:

I have bought wii points today (currently have 2100 points) and I am asking for recommendations. I like strategy games and rpg's. I however have already downloaded Secret Of Mana and I have Final Fantasy 4 on DS.

I also have a question about Super Mario RPG: is it like in Mario & Luigi: Partners In Time that you have to press a button to do more damage? Because I found that a bit irritating.

Its even more irritating in SMRPG since you never actually make contact with your enemy, making timing more of a guessing game than anything else.

As for Strategy Games, I'd recommend Shining Force, Ogre Battle, and Uncharted Waters myself. They're all pretty awesome games. Shining Force is more RPG than strategy, though, and Ogre Battle is more of an RTS in a way. There's also Military Madness if you want a more traditional type of strategy game, and if you're looking for a sort-of-tower-defense-game-that-came-out-before-tower-defense-was-even-invented, there's Metal Marines.

As for RPG, the best traditional story-based game that you haven't got is Breath of Fire 2. If you're looking for something a little more old-school, with the emphasis being more on adventure and challenge, look no further than FF1 and Phantasy Star 1. Out of any other game in their class, they do the best job of having an interesting adventure with a balanced challenge that's rarely frustrating so long as you know what you're doing (i.e. don't venture into areas the villagers tell you to avoid, don't run from fights, make sure you got the best armor you can buy, etc.). There's also Fatal Labyrinth if you're looking for a good Rogue-like (actually, its the only rogue-like, and its a bit unfair at times), and Shining in the Darkness if you're looking for a FPRPG that never loses perspective. As for action RPGs, there's Ys Book 1 & 2, which is very good if you don't get turned off by the unorthadox combat system.

That's about all I can recommend. Hope I could be of help.

I already have shining force and I also downloaded Ogre battle 64, which is awesome so far. I also have military madness and I can't download metal marines because I don't live in the US. I'm going to download Final Fantasy 1 with my remaining points.

kalle3004

AuthorMessage
Avatar

JohnWalrus

355. Posted:

Out of all of my VC games (20+), I'd say these are my top 10: Paper Mario, Super Mario RPG: Legend of the 7 Stars, Super Mario World, DoReMi Fantasy: Milon's DokiDoki Adventure, Super Metroid, Phantasy Star, Phantasy Star 2, Super Castlevania 4, Secret of Mana, and Final Fantasy 2/4. I also enjoyed Metroid and River City Ransom, but couldn't play them for large quantities of time...

"I will destroy everything! I will create a monument to non-existence!"~Kefka Palazzo (FFVI)
Backloggery

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Rensch

356. Posted:

After playing it for just a short while, I can safely say that Ufouria: The Saga (NES) is great. It's like a cross between Metroid and Super Mario Bros. 2. Great graphics, cute characters, solid gameplay and some of the best 8-bit music I've ever heard. It seems to be rather easy, but at least it has everything that you miss so badly in the original Metroid such as a map and a compass.

Friend code 3DS: 4210-4747-2358

AuthorMessage
Avatar

ToastyYogurt

357. Posted:

How's Super Mario RPG? Is it similar to Paper Mario/Mario & Luigi? I love the Mario RPGs, I just want to know how good this one is.

I'm pretty okay.
This is my pretty okay Toastyloggery.
Formerly Destroyer360, Destroyer64, DestroyerInsertYourFavoriteRandomNumbersHere.
"Purple is a color." - Waluigi
Wait, quotes should be meaningful? Ugh, fine.
"I'm useless, but not for long. The future is coming on." - Gorillaz

3DS Friend Code: 2449-4642-6622 | Nintendo Network ID: ToastyYogurtTime

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Punny

358. Posted:

Destroyer360 wrote:

How's Super Mario RPG? Is it similar to Paper Mario/Mario & Luigi? I love the Mario RPGs, I just want to know how good this one is.

It's fantastic! I think it is more Final Fantasy than Paper Mario/Mario & Luigi, but the other Mario RPGs were inspired by Super Mario RPG. So what are you waiting for? Download this game now! You won't regret it!

I'm back (for the moment)!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

359. Posted:

Destroyer360 wrote:

How's Super Mario RPG? Is it similar to Paper Mario/Mario & Luigi? I love the Mario RPGs, I just want to know how good this one is.

It's got the humor and charm of the other Mario RPGs, but it doesn't play anything like them. It feels too much like Final Fantasy, IMO, and the timed attacks aren't as useful and they're difficult to pull off because no one actually makes contact with eachother, and the perspective doesn't help either. In fact, the isometric perspective makes platforming more difficult than it should be, too. It's still a good game, but just try to keep in mind that it is the original and as such is far less refined.

Mecha Wolf Prime

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi
Scary Wolfrun...
...Scared Wolfrun

Arooo~

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Funky_Gamer

360. Posted:

Destroyer360 wrote:

How's Super Mario RPG? Is it similar to Paper Mario/Mario & Luigi? I love the Mario RPGs, I just want to know how good this one is.

Its different. Not at all like a PM or a M&L. I wish I could help more, but I havent played very much. I like the song though.

"Remember: when life rocks you, RAWK BACK!" ~Rawk Hawk
FNS: Y B L R R R B >