Forums

Topic: VC Recommendations thread

Posts 221 to 240 of 1,082

manleycartoonist

StarBoy91 wrote:

@CartoonistofManley - Star Parodier is definitely a good recommendation. Also, Adventures of Lolo and Kirby's Dream Land 3. Those are good games.

I've been thinking about Star Parodier, but I like my shooters to be vertical (like 1945 or Xevious)... I have watched the video many times. Played Kirby to death with my son (who could beat Dream Land 3 at age 5). Thanks.

Edited on by manleycartoonist

I have a website: www.the-manleys.blogspot.com

StarBoy91

Star Parodier is vertical.

To each their own

manleycartoonist

StarBoy91 wrote:

Maybe I was thinking of Fantasy Zone.

Edit: No, I was thinking of Air Zonk. Star Parodier looks great, can you play the whole game as the TurboGraphix? or is it just in certain stages?

Edited on by manleycartoonist

StarBoy91

During the whole game, you can control either one of three characters: PC-Engine [my fave], Bomberman, and Paro-Ceaser (you can only choose which character you want at the beginning of the game). It's also got tons of replay value, 'cause there are different endings depending on which difficulty setting you're playing.

Edited on by StarBoy91

To each their own

CanisWolfred

manleycartoonist wrote:

StarBoy91 wrote:

Maybe I was thinking of Fantasy Zone.

Edit: No, I was thinking of Air Zonk. Star Parodier looks great, can you play the whole game as the TurboGraphix? or is it just in certain stages?

...Oh, you mean the PC Engine craft? Yeah, you can play the whole game as him. I think the game is a little easier with him, too. At least on some stages.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

manleycartoonist

I'm convinced... Star Parodier sounds great.

StarBoy91

You'll really enjoy it, manley.

To each their own

manleycartoonist

StarBoy91 wrote:

You'll really enjoy it, manley.

All right, All right! I'll get it. The last shooter I played regularly was Astro Warrior on the Colecovision handheld that collected master system games. Nice little system if you can find one cheap on e-bay...

cheetahman91

@manleycartoonist: I too am going to recommend Star Parodier. Castlevania: Rondo Of Blood is also recommended. It's hard, but oh so satisfying.

Jesus is the only way.
It's OK to have an opinion. This ain't the Soviet Union you know.
Letterboxd
Youtube Channel

Switch Friend Code: SW-2350-3570-9923 | Nintendo Network ID: cheetahman91

manleycartoonist

cheetahman91 wrote:

@manleycartoonist: I too am going to recommend Star Parodier. Castlevania: Rondo Of Blood is also recommended. It's hard, but oh so satisfying.

I've been thinking about a Castlevania game... but, I only played Simon's Quest back in the day and wasn't very good. Rhondo of Blood did look pretty sweet. I am trying to save some points for when they finally give me SMW2!

CanisWolfred

manleycartoonist wrote:

cheetahman91 wrote:

I've been thinking about a Castlevania game... but, I only played Simon's Quest back in the day and wasn't very good. Rhondo of Blood did look pretty sweet. I am trying to save some points for when they finally give me SMW2!

Don't bother saving your points. Yoshi's Island isn't even on the Coming soon list. We won't be seeing it for a very, very long time.

And Simon's Quest was a weird black sheep in the series that never really got repeated until Symphony of the Night. All the other ones on the VC have a very different style of gameplay, and IMO, they're much more enjoyable. However, don't expect them to be games you'll be able to be, and be surprised when you do. They're seriously hard games, but they're never really cheap or impossible.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

manleycartoonist

Mickeymac wrote:

Don't bother saving your points. Yoshi's Island isn't even on the Coming soon list. We won't be seeing it for a very, very long time.

And Simon's Quest was a weird black sheep in the series that never really got repeated until Symphony of the Night. All the other ones on the VC have a very different style of gameplay, and IMO, they're much more enjoyable. However, don't expect them to be games you'll be able to be, and be surprised when you do. They're seriously hard games, but they're never really cheap or impossible.

I guess I can buy another card when SMW2 comes out... I forgot that I also played that turd of a N64 Castlevania. When you say hard do you mean Ghouls N Ghosts Hard?

manleycartoonist

Alright, so Star Paradior is a must. Next Question:
If I'm on the fence about a Castlevania (I like the monsters and gothic-vibe) should I get Rhondo or go with something similar but different like Indian Jones?

CanisWolfred

manleycartoonist wrote:

Mickeymac wrote:

I guess I can buy another card when SMW2 comes out... I forgot that I also played that turd of a N64 Castlevania. When you say hard do you mean Ghouls N Ghosts Hard?

Well, not quite that hard. Most traps and enemies you'll see coming so it's not nearly as cheap. But it's still very difficult, though. It's still plenty of fun, just be prepared to die a lot.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

manleycartoonist

Bought Star Parodier. I played it for awhile and got pretty far without losing a life, and I thought oh this is too easy... lost that thought by world 4 when bullets started flying. I enjoyed the game to the point that I didn't even realize that I had been playing for a half hour. Thanks for the suggestions.

StarBoy91

Glad you're enjoying it.

To each their own

jazzydude

Javet wrote:

GUN NAC.
It is a little known NES shmup tha is quickly turning into one of my favorites. It's ahead of it's time, rivaling even Blazing Lazers for the TG-16.

ooooooo so you know that game too!!! its imo best 2d shooter EVER!!!!!

jazzydude

Chucko

Of all the street fighter games on the VC, which is the greatest? I think I might go with SSFII.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, would you kindly?

Omega

I'm interested in some good shooters on the VC. I kinda like this genre, the only problem is that most of them are pretty hard. The last one I bought was Dragon Spirit for PCE because of it's nice graphics but with no continues its definitely impossible for me to play through.

Can anyone recommend some good shooters that are not hard as hell? Not the bullet-hell type and maybe something with continues and adjustable difficulty setting? Vertical or horizontal doesn't matter.

Ωɱɛɡɑ

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic