Wii Virtual Console Forum

Topic: My frustrations with the Virtual Console...

Showing 21 to 40 of 49

AuthorMessage
Avatar

LordTendoboy

21. Posted:

Rukiafan wrote:

Does anyone else have a problem with graphical glitches on the Genesis Sonic games?
On the Genesis the graphics ran perfectly but on vc sometimes ghost objects or enemies will appear after going fast :o

No idea what you're talking about. All my VC games run perfectly fine for me.

JonWahlgren wrote:

It's not "laziness" keeping stuff off of the VC.

Whoever published the C64 games on VC pretty much did a dump-and-run for the service — one of the Last Ninja games released was actually unplayable and they never bothered to fix it, so my guess is that they didn't find it financially worth their while to spend the time and money to continue supporting the VC.

Nintendo itself could do a better job of supporting the VC Arcade (like, where's Donkey Kong?) but it's up to other publishers to get their stuff out there. I don't think Nintendo sees it as worthwhile to court publishers for emulated versions of their old stuff. Everyone knows the service is there. If someone wants to use it, they will. If not, sucks for us!

If the VC wasn't worthwhile then Nintendo wouldn't have brought it over to the 3DS. I think the VC is the best idea Nintendo has come up with since the analog stick.

Edited on by theblackdragon

3DS Friend Code (NEW) 4597-0176-3500
Minis March Again (NEW) 2323-0441-2739
Mini-Land Mayhem (NEW) 5071-8232-0670
Wii Friend Code 5519-8046-0668-6068
Smash Bros. Brawl 1893-2412-4594
PSN ID PS_man1984

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Chrono_Cross

22. Posted:

tendoboy1984 wrote:

JonWahlgren wrote:

It's not "laziness" keeping stuff off of the VC.

Whoever published the C64 games on VC pretty much did a dump-and-run for the service — one of the Last Ninja games released was actually unplayable and they never bothered to fix it, so my guess is that they didn't find it financially worth their while to spend the time and money to continue supporting the VC.

Nintendo itself could do a better job of supporting the VC Arcade (like, where's Donkey Kong?) but it's up to other publishers to get their stuff out there. I don't think Nintendo sees it as worthwhile to court publishers for emulated versions of their old stuff. Everyone knows the service is there. If someone wants to use it, they will. If not, sucks for us!

If the VC wasn't worthwhile then Nintendo wouldn't have brought it over to the 3DS. I think the VC is the best idea Nintendo has come up with since the analog stick.

Look at how much attention it's getting there as well. Sure the VC is a profitable service but WiiWare has proven it's more reliable. You'll never run out of software and you can charge up to $15 per game. Now other than the obvious it's easier making games for the "Ware" services than to license VC games, then there's legal issues with certain games like Banjo Kazooie etc. etc.

Want to know what brings in the big bucks? Software for the system. Not a silly little online service. It helps, sure, but it doesn't print money. $$$$$$

Digitally Downloaded.
PlayStation Network: JosephDigital
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

AuthorMessage
Avatar

LordTendoboy

23. Posted:

@Viewtiful_Joe

Tell that to Sony and their PSOne Classics. Sony and Nintendo both see the value in preserving the games of yesteryear for new generations of gamers to discover, and there is nothing wrong with that. It's just like Disney re-releasing their old movies on DVD, it lets the younger generation see what we grew up on.

I wasn't comparing the VC to WiiWare, so I have no idea why you made that comparison. They are two completely different things.

Edited on by LordTendoboy

3DS Friend Code (NEW) 4597-0176-3500
Minis March Again (NEW) 2323-0441-2739
Mini-Land Mayhem (NEW) 5071-8232-0670
Wii Friend Code 5519-8046-0668-6068
Smash Bros. Brawl 1893-2412-4594
PSN ID PS_man1984

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Gamesake

24. Posted:

madgear wrote:

Games are a big part of modern culture, they're already a part of our history and should be treated with as much respect as old film, music and books.

The birth of aviation, World War II, the Moon landing, Donkey Kong.

tendoboy1984 wrote:

@Viewtiful_Joe
Tell that to Sony and their PSOne Classics.

Whoa. WHOA! You're saying I can play Jumping Flash! on my PS3? Sign me up!

...in my pants.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Yanchamaru

25. Posted:

Rukiafan wrote:

Does anyone else have a problem with graphical glitches on the Genesis Sonic games?
On the Genesis the graphics ran perfectly but on vc sometimes ghost objects or enemies will appear after going fast :o

Anyone else know about this? I was planning on downloading Sonic instead of buying the cartridge, but if the emulation is not accurate, then I would change my mind.

Yanchamaru

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Link79

26. Posted:

I'd really like to know why support for Wii's VC has aparently dropped completely.
There's still over an entire year before the Wii U will be released so why are they not supporting the current system?
Do these companies just not care about releasing classic games anymore?
Surely there's something they could add to the shop but noooooo.
Seriously what is up with the lack of support?

3DS Friend code 4038-6006-7917
Wii Friend code 3553-5293-8702-0039
Smash Bros. Brawl 0001-3032-2653
Mario vs DK: Minis March Again 3310-6435-2823
Wii and 3DS ID Link

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bass_X0

27. Posted:

The amount of people downloading new games has probably dropped so low that nobody, not even Nintendo themselves find it a worthwhile project to continue supporting.

Edgey, Gumshoe, Godot, Sissel, Larry, then Mia, Franziska, Maggie, Kay and Lynne.

I'm throwing my money at the screen but nothing happens!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

misswliu81

28. Posted:

Link79 wrote:

I'd really like to know why support for Wii's VC has aparently dropped completely.
There's still over an entire year before the Wii U will be released so why are they not supporting the current system?
Do these companies just not care about releasing classic games anymore?
Surely there's something they could add to the shop but noooooo.
Seriously what is up with the lack of support?

maybe they care more about releasing games for other systems, as opposed to releasing old titles for the virtual console.
sadly, the virtual console will be seen by many as a great idea, but poorly treated by other developers. they don't seem to understand there are people out there who still want to play classic games.

misswliu81

AuthorMessage
AvatarStaff

Unca_Lz

29. Posted:

Link79 wrote:

I'd really like to know why support for Wii's VC has aparently dropped completely.
There's still over an entire year before the Wii U will be released so why are they not supporting the current system?
Do these companies just not care about releasing classic games anymore?
Surely there's something they could add to the shop but noooooo.
Seriously what is up with the lack of support?

Because more profit comes from newer games

Nintendo Life moderator and duck

My Retrologgery

3DS Friend Code: 2234-7139-4188 | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Ryno

30. Posted:

  • Do these companies just not care about releasing classic games anymore?
  • The amount of people downloading new games has probably dropped so low that nobody, not even Nintendo themselves find it a worthwhile project to continue supporting.
  • Maybe they care more about releasing games for other systems, as opposed to releasing old titles for the virtual console.
  • Because more profit comes from newer games.

@Link79, @Bass_X0, @misswliu81, @lz20XX: Companies care about releasing their classic games. They know they make money and there is a demand for them. Playstsation releases a new PSOne classic weekly (on top of a bunch of new weekly content) and this past week was Capcom's Street Fighter Alpha 3. Plus, we also just recently learned of the upcoming Japense Wii VC games incluidng the awesome Genesis game Strider (originally developed by Capcom but the Genesis version was released by Sega). So the question is really what is wrong with NOA and NOE?

Edited on by Ryno

What Would Duane Do?
“I’m just about that action, boss"
Rynoggery

Nintendo Network ID: Choryzo

AuthorMessage
Avatar

dizzy_boy

31. Posted:

don`t forget to take into account that the japanese vc is still being catered for. and the fact that quite a few of those games originaly had world wide release.
it`s a huge kick in the teeth for anybody wishing to play these games.

http://www.gamercreated.com/user/id/17078
http://www.youtube.com/plotyourdownfall
NNID: Dr_Dizzy
i`ve been a slave from the cradle to the grave.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

FloY

32. Posted:

all psn has is psn classics... wii VC destroys psn for retro...

anyway...i wish there was more licensed games like ducktales and tmnt turtles in time.
xbox arcade however is maybe the best of the 3.it has online for many games and it has atari games in the game room which no other console has....but no i think wii is still better

Edited on by FloY

FloY

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Ryno

33. Posted:

FloY wrote:

all psn has is psn classics... wii VC destroys psn for retro...

anyway...i wish there was more licensed games like ducktales and tmnt turtles in time.
xbox arcade however is maybe the best of the 3.it has online for many games and it has atari games in the game room which no other console has....but no i think wii is still better

What are "PSN classics?" Anyway, sure everyone would agree there are more retro titles on the Wii as well there should be since Nintendo has released more systems. However, this thread was focused more on the current state of the lack of newly released games on the Wii VC.

Edited on by Ryno

What Would Duane Do?
“I’m just about that action, boss"
Rynoggery

Nintendo Network ID: Choryzo

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Chrono_Cross

34. Posted:

tendoboy1984 wrote:

Tell that to Sony and their PSOne Classics. Sony and Nintendo both see the value in preserving the games of yesteryear for new generations of gamers to discover

Sure but when was the last time Sony put a PSOne classic on PSN? And how many PSOne classics are necessarily on the service? Not that many. Face it the VC just isn't raking in the cash.

tendoboy1984 wrote:

I wasn't comparing the VC to WiiWare, so I have no idea why you made that comparison. They are two completely different things.

Oh but I was. And WiiWare is the reason VC suffers. Er, I mean all of the Wares in this case. EShop, DSiWare, and WiiWare all come first and make more of a profit. The VC's state of existence is my proof, by the way.

Digitally Downloaded.
PlayStation Network: JosephDigital
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

AuthorMessage
Avatar

misswliu81

35. Posted:

Ryno wrote:

@Link79, @Bass_X0, @misswliu81, @lz20XX: Companies care about releasing their classic games. They know they make money and there is a demand for them. Playstsation releases a new PSOne classic weekly (on top of a bunch of new weekly content) and this past week was Capcom's Street Fighter Alpha 3. Plus, we also just recently learned of the upcoming Japense Wii VC games incluidng the awesome Genesis game Strider (originally developed by Capcom but the Genesis version was released by Sega). So the question is really what is wrong with NOA and NOE?

well yes, i can see where you are coming from: those classic titles/game collections are on PS2, PS3, x-box 360. although SNK classics was released on the wii. as for the answer to your question as to what is wrong with NOA and NOE, just look at the wii- that console, as much i enjoy it, it has this status of being kiddie, family friendly and is not considered 'hardcore' compared to PS3, x-box 360. developers such as capcom, sega etc are not releasing 'games' for the wii, and if they are, they tend to be party games or miscellaneous titles.

don't get me wrong- the wii has been a tremendous success with a status that is much more broader than the PS3, X-Box regarding its games; however, NOA and NOE 's priorities for other companies have shifted more towards the casual market, and hence, other low-end developers make 3rd rate third party games for the wii.

titles such as just dance are driving the wii's software sales-yet traditional games on the wii, for the exception of mario, zelda are not selling thousands. no matter how great they are. i don't believe nintendo have sold out; however, their handling of the virtual console for example hasn't been great and though i still want the V.C service to carry on and into the wii U, nintendo can't just abandon something that a lot of people enjoy and of whom have made use of this service.

@Viewtiful_Joe

i and many others can do without wiiware and you're absolutely right. they're just shovel ware titles that you'd find and play on your iPhone. they're better suited for phones than on the wii.

Edited on by misswliu81

misswliu81

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bass_X0

36. Posted:

Ryno wrote:

  • Do these companies just not care about releasing classic games anymore?
  • The amount of people downloading new games has probably dropped so low that nobody, not even Nintendo themselves find it a worthwhile project to continue supporting.
  • Maybe they care more about releasing games for other systems, as opposed to releasing old titles for the virtual console.
  • Because more profit comes from newer games.

@Link79, @Bass_X0, @misswliu81, @lz20XX: Companies care about releasing their classic games. They know they make money and there is a demand for them. Playstsation releases a new PSOne classic weekly (on top of a bunch of new weekly content) and this past week was Capcom's Street Fighter Alpha 3. Plus, we also just recently learned of the upcoming Japense Wii VC games incluidng the awesome Genesis game Strider (originally developed by Capcom but the Genesis version was released by Sega). So the question is really what is wrong with NOA and NOE?

Like it or not, the Wii is dying quickly in America and Europe and focus is now on the 3DS, the WiiShop is the first to be unceremoniously killed off with a few straggling crappy WiiWare games still being released sometimes. Don't know how the Wii is currently doing in Japan. The PS3 and XBOX 360 are still doing strong so they continue to get classic games for their online shops.

Edgey, Gumshoe, Godot, Sissel, Larry, then Mia, Franziska, Maggie, Kay and Lynne.

I'm throwing my money at the screen but nothing happens!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

misswliu81

37. Posted:

Bass_X0 wrote:

Like it or not, the Wii is dying quickly in America and Europe and focus is now on the 3DS, the WiiShop is the first to be unceremoniously killed off with a few straggling crappy WiiWare games still being released sometimes. Don't know how the Wii is currently doing in Japan. The PS3 and XBOX 360 are still doing strong so they continue to get classic games for their online shops.

after skyward sword comes out, i doubt there will be other quality games coming- but of course the last story, pandora's tower-IF and when they get localised in the west- will sell well. don't know if you have been following the virtual console japanese releases on NL, but in japan, games ARE getting released for the V.C there. so in that respect, the V.C is not dying over there.

misswliu81

AuthorMessage
Avatar

shingi_70

38. Posted:

Nintendo F'ed up pretty bad with the VC shop. They kinda Blew thier Load early on by putting out dozen's of games a week. Now that they have slowed down most likely to pace these last releases or waiting to start back up until the Wii U release.

Other Games such as Pokemon staduim won't get released until the Wii U comes out for cross play with the 3DS VC pokemon stuff.

shingi_70

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

AuthorMessage
Avatar

James

39. Posted:

And yet when people complain we're not getting much on 3DS Virtual Console at the start.

Do = damned. Do not = damned.

I am not ignoring you. I just do not post much.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

JayArr

40. Posted:

Japan's Wii is waaaaay closer to death than either EU or NA's yet they still get Wii VC games in droves.

[insert 25 Cents here to play]