Wii Virtual Console Forum

Topic: Is this the end of VC games for the Wii?

Showing 61 to 80 of 107

AuthorMessage
Avatar

KaiserGX

61. Posted:

Ninja Master's is not crap, it wasn't an early game either.

Kachou on!

3DS Friend Code: 4296-4029-9396 | Nintendo Network ID: KaiserGX

AuthorMessage
Avatar

madgear

62. Posted:

I'm not talking about emulation issues in that sense. I mean as in you don't need to seek permission to emulate the hardware that your software runs on. I.E Nintendo could emulate the PlayStation if they wanted to, but they just wouldn't have the software to run on it.

For your point, though, just because it took years initially to get full SNES emulation doesn't mean every emulator takes a decade to develop (and the SNES has been emulated since the 90's, so something of an exaggeration). Basically I'm just saying we don't know why there's no FX games on VC but all these reasons are just speculation that get spread around as fact. Personally I think Nintendo just didn't include the FX chip when they developed their SNES emulator and they don't think it's worth the effort for a couple of VC games.

madgear

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Aldebaran

63. Posted:

madgear wrote:

I'm not talking about emulation issues in that sense. I mean as in you don't need to seek permission to emulate the hardware that your software runs on. I.E Nintendo could emulate the PlayStation if they wanted to, but they just wouldn't have the software to run on it.

For your point, though, just because it took years initially to get full SNES emulation doesn't mean every emulator takes a decade to develop (and the SNES has been emulated since the 90's, so something of an exaggeration). Basically I'm just saying we don't know why there's no FX games on VC but all these reasons are just speculation that get spread around as fact. Personally I think Nintendo just didn't include the FX chip when they developed their SNES emulator and they don't think it's worth the effort for a couple of VC games.

IIRC Capcom also developed a special chip similar to the FX called C4 (or something like that), it was needed in order to run advanced SNES games like Mega Man X 2 (and X3). Mega Man X2 (which was a C4 chip game) was released in the VC, so since this is the case I am pretty sure the VC emulator can run FX chip games without much problem. Full SNES emulation has been available for almost a decade (or more) and the Wii and other contemporary consoles should have no problems emulating a relative old and simple console like the SNES.

Edited on by Aldebaran

Aldebaran

Twitter: shoryuken39

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

64. Posted:

madgear wrote:

I'm not talking about emulation issues in that sense. I mean as in you don't need to seek permission to emulate the hardware that your software runs on. I.E Nintendo could emulate the PlayStation if they wanted to, but they just wouldn't have the software to run on it.

For your point, though, just because it took years initially to get full SNES emulation doesn't mean every emulator takes a decade to develop (and the SNES has been emulated since the 90's, so something of an exaggeration). Basically I'm just saying we don't know why there's no FX games on VC but all these reasons are just speculation that get spread around as fact. Personally I think Nintendo just didn't include the FX chip when they developed their SNES emulator and they don't think it's worth the effort for a couple of VC games.

It took them 10 years to figure out. There's articles out there stating that the FX Chip wasn't properly emulated back in 2007, which I unfortunately can't link to. That does mean that it's difficult to work with, so people who probably aren't in the know about SNES emulation will most likely take a long time to get things right on a new emulator, especially if it's not a priority, which the hard things never seem to be for Nintendo.

If they haven't given up on VC, it'll happen eventually, but I still doubt it'll be anytime soon.

Doesn't talk about games.

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi
Scary Wolfrun...
...Scared Wolfrun

Arooo~

AuthorMessage
Avatar

madgear

65. Posted:

Not properly emulated in 2007? I can tell you for a fact it was emulated a lot earlier than that as I first played Yoshi's Island via emulation in the 90's. Since you can't find your source, I did a quick search online and found this from the ZSNES emulator (which I won't link to since it'll be removed, but it's easy to check):

From development log 8/11/1999 12:05:00 AM

"- Altered the ZSNES Super FX asm code so the Windows port could use it - all
previous versions of the Windows port were shipped using the C Super FX
emulation code which is a lot slower"

That's just as far back as I could be bothered to look. I'm sure if you go back even further you'll find out when it was first implemented on this particular one. Anyway, the point is even if it did take until 2007, it wouldn't mean the next person to attempt it would take that long. The hard work has been done, the system is well documented now, there's a ton of information on how the SNES works that anyone can look up. No one needs to take it apart and figure out how it works any more. With the right research, even you (assuming you have no programming skills, yet a bit of determination) can learn how to do it by the end of the year.

madgear

AuthorMessage
Avatar

KingMike

66. Posted:

The Cx4 was first emulated in 2000, but it was still pretty buggy. (as the Cx4 also prevented a good ROM from being copied of Mega Man X2, but not X3 oddly)

Super FX emulation was still pretty poor until recently. StarFox ran way faster than a real console (it would cut out the opening takeoff cutscene before it was finished), and Yoshi's Island had serious graphics glitches (especially in the Fuzzy stages).

KingMike

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SparkOfSpirit

67. Posted:

WaveBoy wrote:

I'll be pretty dissapointed if Capcom doesn't release Mega Man 6, 7 and Mega man X3. It just doesn't make sense why they're taking so long with these giant gap releases. At least the VC decline has actually been picking up a little as of late as seen with Double Dragon II, Mega man X2, Metal Slug 3, Strider, ect ect.

Yet I'm still scratching my head with the complete 'no show' for the original Contra on the NES, but it is what it is....Retro-Mind Boggling. Instead make way for the vastly inferior Super C. ugh.lol

And where's the arcade version of the original Splatterhouse? The Turbo GFX version, as far as the VC emulation is concerned looks super blurry, Rick's mask is red, the graphics aren't as good as the Arcade version, the intro cut scene is missing, and the soundtrack is is pretty different, yet still awesome nonetheless.

Then there's Double Dragon III(not too interested), But i will gladly plunk down the cashorama for Super Double D. :D

They skipped Contra on the 3DS VC as well.

I could go for Super Double Dragon before III, though. Super is a pretty great game.

But I do agree with you. I'm still waiting for Adventure Island 2, for instance. There are a lot of classics that could still be released that aren't. It's a shame.

“A thing may be too sad to be believed or too wicked to be believed or too good to be believed; but it cannot be too absurd to be believed in this planet of frogs and elephants, of crocodiles and cuttle-fish.”
― G.K. Chesterton

AuthorMessage
Avatar

TheDreamingHawk

68. Posted:

But homebrew guys have ran the FX games with no problem. the MMX2 game's chip works fine. It ls due to SOMETHING if argonauts isn't the blame. Seeing how NOA has tried to put out Yoshi's island (By first showing it as a 3D Classic at E3 2010, then putting up SMA3 The moment the GBA program was announced) in any way they could, I bet they tried with starfox. They tried that with Earthbound too, so it's some issue.

A Supporter of Reggie Fils-Aime and Respectful opinions
Pokemon black 2 FC: 1808 0259 1596

3DS Friend Code: 4725-7951-6337 | Nintendo Network ID: TheDreaminHawk

AuthorMessage
Avatar

KingMike

69. Posted:

TheDreamingHawk wrote:

Contra 1 IS on the VC in Japan, but only as a MSX2 Game as they won't release the NES version due to Super C being "Too similar" (IMO it's better as it got rid of the stupid base levels) As for the arcade splatterhouse, that's also in Japan, but not in NA for some reason (Why namco?) I agree on MM 7 Though. That should be rereleased.

MSX Contra is very different. For one thing, it doesn't scroll.
Even DOS Contra seems like it had more accurate gameplay (although you don't want to listen to it! And it had CGA graphics)
MSX Contra does have Engrish level names, though. Level 1 is "Asphalt Jungle". You do know what asphalt is, Konami?
The first base boss is a "Homicide Censor".
"H*ll fall" for the Waterfall stage?

Some say MSX Castlevania was better. Sure it is, if you thought the NES version was good, but needed to not have scrolling, and it needed more complicated and looping levels (because you should have to find a key hidden in one of the walls to be able to move on to the next level). :P

(and yeah, I'm aware the MSX didn't have built-in scrolling, so it seemed the best Konami could come up with was scrolling a full tile at a time like in the Gradius/Nemesis/Parodius games. Though Space Manbow somehow solved that.)

KingMike

AuthorMessage
Avatar

TheDreamingHawk

70. Posted:

KingMike wrote:

TheDreamingHawk wrote:

Contra 1 IS on the VC in Japan, but only as a MSX2 Game as they won't release the NES version due to Super C being "Too similar" (IMO it's better as it got rid of the stupid base levels) As for the arcade splatterhouse, that's also in Japan, but not in NA for some reason (Why namco?) I agree on MM 7 Though. That should be rereleased.

MSX Contra is very different. For one thing, it doesn't scroll.
Even DOS Contra seems like it had more accurate gameplay (although you don't want to listen to it! And it had CGA graphics)
MSX Contra does have Engrish level names, though. Level 1 is "Asphalt Jungle". You do know what asphalt is, Konami?
The first base boss is a "Homicide Censor".
"H*ll fall" for the Waterfall stage?

Some say MSX Castlevania was better. Sure it is, if you thought the NES version was good, but needed to not have scrolling, and it needed more complicated and looping levels (because you should have to find a key hidden in one of the walls to be able to move on to the next level). :P

(and yeah, I'm aware the MSX didn't have built-in scrolling, so it seemed the best Konami could come up with was scrolling a full tile at a time like in the Gradius/Nemesis/Parodius games. Though Space Manbow somehow solved that.)

Whoa, seriously? I thought the MSX version was just a arcade port. Guess not. But still, I would AT LEAST like to see Metal gear on NES on the VC... None of the MG games are on the VC except in Japan (Again, MSX2)

A Supporter of Reggie Fils-Aime and Respectful opinions
Pokemon black 2 FC: 1808 0259 1596

3DS Friend Code: 4725-7951-6337 | Nintendo Network ID: TheDreaminHawk

AuthorMessage
Avatar

KaiserGX

71. Posted:

You don't want the NES version...

Kachou on!

3DS Friend Code: 4296-4029-9396 | Nintendo Network ID: KaiserGX

AuthorMessage
Avatar

The_Ink_Pit_Ox

72. Posted:

The Virtual Console is passé. The Wii is seven years old. It's time to move on. Heck, you can now download full games onto systems.

Friend code: 5370-0444-3461
Animal Crossing City Folk Code: 3053-5977-0373

AuthorMessage
Avatar

bclifton

73. Posted:

The_Ink_Pit_Ox wrote:

The Virtual Console is passé. The Wii is seven years old. It's time to move on. Heck, you can now download full games onto systems.

I don't think it's possible to be more wrong. Since they're just supporting an emulator, it's essentially free money for them (after putting effort towards testing to make sure the title works properly and packaging it for distribution). It's a great way for them to cash in on something that is otherwise pirated (full collections of ROMS have been available on the internet since the mid-1990s). Having the virtual console also enhances Nintendo's portfolio of titles and gives them more credibility; so if you decide you want to play all the Metroid games for example, you can see the full history, back to the original 1980s title. And the games are not just for a niche market. Try to find a kid out there that does not enjoy Super Mario Bros 3 or Zelda 3.

bclifton

AuthorMessage
Avatar

The_Ink_Pit_Ox

74. Posted:

It's just that the service isn't new anymore. It's lost its novelity. Fewer and fewer people are excited about it, and therefore many developers are losing interest and allowing their licenses to expire.

Friend code: 5370-0444-3461
Animal Crossing City Folk Code: 3053-5977-0373

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Omega

75. Posted:

Why would developers not want to earn money with their old titles?

They don't need to worry about expiration. From what I've heard, the copyright protection lasts for the life of the author plus an additional 70 years. I think even Pac-Man is still under copyright.

The only reason not to release games for the Wii Virtual Console anymore, would be because people moved on to the WiiU. But since Wii VC games run on the WiiU, I guess it's more or less the same system. So, when games are released for the WiiU they can also be released for the Wii.

Unfortunately we only see some NeoGeo Fighting Games recently. But I think this is because Nintendo is currently working on promoting the 3DS and WiiU. After the situation has calmed down, I'm pretty sure we see more Virtual Console titles on the Wii (and WiiU) in the future.

Edited on by Omega

Ωɱɛɡɑ

AuthorMessage
Avatar

rlopez1996

76. Posted:

No i think nintendo starting to listen ive been wanting burger time for a while now

3ds Friend code 4914-3359-2138

AuthorMessage
Avatar

KaiserGX

77. Posted:

The_Ink_Pit_Ox wrote:

It's just that the service isn't new anymore. It's lost its novelity. Fewer and fewer people are excited about it, and therefore many developers are losing interest and allowing their licenses to expire.

What? Neither are the games. I don't care if it's hip I want them classics! Some are better, cheaper longer then some newer games today. I treat VC games as any other retail game (download).

Kachou on!

3DS Friend Code: 4296-4029-9396 | Nintendo Network ID: KaiserGX

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Aldebaran

78. Posted:

KaiserGX wrote:

The_Ink_Pit_Ox wrote:

It's just that the service isn't new anymore. It's lost its novelity. Fewer and fewer people are excited about it, and therefore many developers are losing interest and allowing their licenses to expire.

What? Neither are the games. I don't care if it's hip I want them classics! Some are better, cheaper longer then some newer games today. I treat VC games as any other retail game (download).

Agree 100 %

Aldebaran

Twitter: shoryuken39

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CM30

79. Posted:

It most probably is, they're not going to release more games for the Virtual Console of a 'dead' system. Any classics Nintendo is going to be releasing will be on the Wii U or 3DS Virtual Console.

Talk Nintendo, my Nintendo Forum!
Also, if you're a Wario series fan, check out Wario Forums today! Your only place for Wario series discussion!
My 3DS Friend Code: 4983-5165-4189

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

80. Posted:

Um, guys, The Wii and Wii U currently share VC. Until they're separated permanently, I don't think they're gonna consider it "dead".

Doesn't talk about games.

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi
Scary Wolfrun...
...Scared Wolfrun

Arooo~