Forums

Topic: Is Link to the Past a letdown?

Posts 81 to 96 of 96

koopa85

I personally am not a big fan of ALttP but I acknowledge that it is a fantastic game. Surely, it is one of the very best in the series. The only Nintendo console that I never had growing up was the SNES and I feel like I missed out on a lot. There is just no nostalgic factor for me when I play ALttP. The first time I played this game was on the VC. The graphics are gorgeous, by the way, I can't understand why someone wouldn't like the way this game looks.

@Adam: Do you have something against 3D games or what? I love the way the N64 Zeldas look, especially Majora's Mask.

koopa85

megaboomface2

great game my 3rd favorite

[anomalous[i know spelled wrong] member] so feenie bet you never got lucky in chat
[feenie] ya
[tbd] green gabe
[feenie] yup i almost drowned in the shower afterwards

NotEnoughGolds

koopa85 wrote:

I personally am not a big fan of ALttP but I acknowledge that it is a fantastic game. Surely, it is one of the very best in the series. The only Nintendo console that I never had growing up was the SNES and I feel like I missed out on a lot. There is just no nostalgic factor for me when I play ALttP. The first time I played this game was on the VC. The graphics are gorgeous, by the way, I can't understand why someone wouldn't like the way this game looks.

@Adam: Do you have something against 3D games or what? I love the way the N64 Zeldas look, especially Majora's Mask.

I'd assume it was because they tried to make the game look realistic at a time when consoles couldn't render realistic 3D graphics. 2D games never had this problem.
Even some 3D games have a timeless look (Wind Waker, Metroid Prime), while some will look relatively terrible in a few years (MW2) - simply because of the art style these games chose.

NotEnoughGolds

Egg_miester

wow topics like this worry me about gamers this is my favorite zelda game and one of the top games from the 16 bit era
and to people that says its more of a tuned down version of oot i found that game a knock off of this one but added in races i'll always think this one is better mainly because of controls and story and they didn't ruin ganon like they did in oot

overturn code: 3266 3667 6901

Adam

Mr. Koopa, well, to answer your question, yes, I don't generally like 3D games, but it's not a categorical assumption that all 3D games look or play bad. Early 3D games look ugly though, and Ocarina is as much an offender as any. It's the Atari era of 3D. I don't mean it as an insult to the game because it could have done no better, but it doesn't change the fact that it looks terrible. This is not something I say out of retrospect either, as I had the same thought when the N64 first came out.

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

SKTTR

OoT had the best 3D-graphics of all systems and computers in 1998 when it was released. It was a definite milestone and a technical masterpiece.

When you say OoT's graphics are bad, you say all 3D-graphics from pre-1998 are bad.

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

Adam

Yea, that is basically what I just said. Thanks for the recap, I guess.

Come on, friends,

Trin

Nintendo Life should remove this topic, and refuse ever to speak of it again.

It's making us all look bad.

So bad.

Trin

theblackdragon

Trin wrote:

Nintendo Life should remove this topic, and refuse ever to speak of it again.

It's making us all look bad.

So bad.

how so?

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter:

Trin

Let me clarify; it's fine now, but it doesn't start well.

It seems mostly to be 13 year old children, who think games started on the PS1, making comments like 'lol lInk 2 the pas doesnt even have 3d Graficks it doesnt rulez'.

the first part of this was just fine on its own, no need to begin making fun of your fellow users in an attempt to further your point. -- TBD

Edited on by theblackdragon

Trin

outrun2sp

In my opinion a very good game. Have to say though that I preferred Links Awakening on GB.

F Zero GX fan forever

koopa85

OK, I do agree that OoT/MM didn't have perfect graphics. But, that's maybe what I love about the N64 era so much. I don't want games to look realistic. Personally I think the N64 Zeldas look better than Twilight Princess. Although I do agree that 2D graphics have a sort of polish that just can't quite be replicated in 3D. All I'm saying is that I think OoT/MM graphics aren't perfect and I like it that way. The games aren't supposed to look realistic.

Edited on by koopa85

koopa85

Adam

Whoever said they were supposed to look realistic? Obviously anyone defending A Link to the Past doesn't think that's important whatsoever. They're just supposed to look good.

Come on, friends,

koopa85

I still don't think the graphics look terrible. OoT/MM look good, but not great. They certainly don't look terrible as you would imply. A lot of early 3D games did look terrible, but Nintendo did a great job of utilizing what the N64 had to offer. The same can be said of early 2D games like Super Mario Bros. That game had good yet not great, but certainly not terrible graphics.

koopa85

Fuzzy

The best SNES games have aged a hell of a lot better than the 64 games, easily. But what I like about OoT is its cartoonish 3D look, as opposed to TP's more-realistic approach.
Anyway, ALttP is great fun, and gets even better once you get the Master Sword. I can't believe this thread was made when so little proress had been made! Give it a chance!

Fuzzy, Backloggery.

Mange

ALttP was the first VC game I downloaded. Played the original when it was released, very good game but it was a bit easy this time. Somehow I remembered most of it years after.
When I the other day got Pokemon Rumble for my son I thought that they really should make a ALttP sequel with Pokemon Rumble type of graphics. Would be awesome.

Mange

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.