Wii Virtual Console Forum

Topic: Earthbound for VC

Showing 121 to 140 of 149

AuthorMessage
Avatar

KingMike

121. Posted:

TheDreamingHawk wrote:

Personally, for some reason we haven't gotten the japanese versions of FF II and III on NES, and V on the SNES, NA hasn't gotten devil world for a mysterious reason, and DR mario is nowhere in sight. What's happening to the big shots?

[/div]

The only official version of FFII is an Engrish prototype version (created for Summer CES '91, but Square canceled the game before getting the text up to quality standards). Since that never came out, of course they never worked on III.
Who knows how far FFV SNES got along in its official translation (first as FFIII, then as FF Xtreme when Square resumed it after releasing FFVI), and then as FFV for a canceled PC version that was announced around the same time as FFVII (and I think a couple other SNES-to-PC ports that I remember reading were announced but never came out either, like Secret of Mana).
Devil World isn't released in NA because Nintendo fears a backlash from Christians who would vocally oppose its mild tastelessness. Dr. Mario isn't released because there's a WiiWare version.

Edited on by KingMike

KingMike

AuthorMessage
Avatar

TheDreamingHawk

122. Posted:

You know, Wave Race 64 had advertisements removed, and that would take just as much effort as EB. I think it's Itoi, but we don't know.

A Supporter of Reggie Fils-Aime and Respectful opinions
Pokemon black 2 FC: 1808 0259 1596

3DS Friend Code: 4725-7951-6337 | Nintendo Network ID: TheDreaminHawk

AuthorMessage
Avatar

TheDreamingHawk

123. Posted:

KingMike wrote:

TheDreamingHawk wrote:

Personally, for some reason we haven't gotten the japanese versions of FF II and III on NES, and V on the SNES, NA hasn't gotten devil world for a mysterious reason, and DR mario is nowhere in sight. What's happening to the big shots?

[/div]

[/div]

The only official version of FFII is an Engrish prototype version (created for Summer CES '91, but Square canceled the game before getting the text up to quality standards). Since that never came out, of course they never worked on III.
Who knows how far FFV SNES got along in its official translation (first as FFIII, then as FF Xtreme when Square resumed it after releasing FFVI), and then as FFV for a canceled PC version that was announced around the same time as FFVII (and I think a couple other SNES-to-PC ports that I remember reading were announced but never came out either, like Secret of Mana).
Devil World isn't released in NA because Nintendo fears a backlash from Christians who would vocally oppose its mild tastelessness. Dr. Mario isn't released because there's a WiiWare version.

EU has Devil World, and I don't believe that having a few sticks and books in a game would offend anyone (It's 8-bit, and thankfully it isn't as offensive as Splatterhouse was to me).

And what I mean is the EXACT Japanese version, with no english. Puyo Puyo II is on the wii VC with no english, along with a Do re mi game. It would be at least nice to have some Japan only games.

A Supporter of Reggie Fils-Aime and Respectful opinions
Pokemon black 2 FC: 1808 0259 1596

3DS Friend Code: 4725-7951-6337 | Nintendo Network ID: TheDreaminHawk

AuthorMessage
Avatar

zelda_4_life

124. Posted:

earthbound was a waste of time to play

UN-FIX MAKA WUHU

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Ryno

125. Posted:

TheDreamingHawk wrote:

You know, Wave Race 64 had advertisements removed, and that would take just as much effort as EB. I think it's Itoi, but we don't know.

Multiple VC games have been modified so it’s not a case of Nintendo not wanting to do the work. Let me quote the wise ogo.

ogo79 wrote:

here let me quote myself again...

ogo79 wrote:

that is an idea although its going to be a little hard to convince shigesato itoi to agree, as he said there would be no altering allowed to it.

that is your reason, in a nutshell.

Edited on by Ryno

What Would Duane Do?
“I’m just about that action, boss"
Rynoggery

Nintendo Network ID: Choryzo

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Emaan

126. Posted:

zelda_4_life wrote:

earthbound was a waste of time to play

Keep kidding yourself.

I believe in make believe~
[20:48] Emaan dances the pikpik emaan;
[20:48] Sensei_PikPik does the pikpik emaan
The Emaaloggery
✰ I'm not really here that often anymore ✰

3DS Friend Code: 0559-6948-0467 | Nintendo Network ID: Emaann

AuthorMessage
Avatar

KingMike

127. Posted:

TheDreamingHawk wrote:

EU has Devil World, and I don't believe that having a few sticks and books in a game would offend anyone (It's 8-bit, and thankfully it isn't as offensive as Splatterhouse was to me).

But in America, it's different. I've read some people once freaked out over a limited-run Dr. Pepper "patriotic" can made after 9/11, it included the Pledge of Allegiance, particularly whether the words "under God" were printed on it. Threatening to boycott Pepsi or Coke (depending on who locally bottles it), over two words (or lack of) on a soda can.
That's the sort of people Nintendo has to be concerned with.

KingMike

AuthorMessage
Avatar

TheDreamingHawk

128. Posted:

KingMike wrote:

TheDreamingHawk wrote:

EU has Devil World, and I don't believe that having a few sticks and books in a game would offend anyone (It's 8-bit, and thankfully it isn't as offensive as Splatterhouse was to me).

[/div]

But in America, it's different. I've read some people once freaked out over a limited-run Dr. Pepper "patriotic" can made after 9/11, it included the Pledge of Allegiance, particularly whether the words "under God" were printed on it. Threatening to boycott Pepsi or Coke (depending on who locally bottles it), over two words (or lack of) on a soda can.
That's the sort of people Nintendo has to be concerned with.

What about in places like The Midwest and western US? Canada? Maybe they could limit it to those areas since it didn't really affect those areas much.

Regardless, the devil WAS in SSBB, and no one freaked out.

A Supporter of Reggie Fils-Aime and Respectful opinions
Pokemon black 2 FC: 1808 0259 1596

3DS Friend Code: 4725-7951-6337 | Nintendo Network ID: TheDreaminHawk

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Aviator

129. Posted:

TheDreamingHawk wrote:

Regardless, the devil WAS in SSBB, and no one freaked out.

Your point?

I don't like to boast, but our truffles are the most, mad magical in Amsterdam.
PSN: naviator_9

AuthorMessage
Avatar

the_shpydar

130. Posted:

Sigh.
Not.
Gonna.
Happen.
Accept.
It.

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong. Also, Lindsey Stirling. Because violin awesomeness.
Current E.T. count: 12 Copies. 2 Sealed, 6 CIB, 3 Boxed, 1 Loose.

3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

AuthorMessage
Avatar

TheDreamingHawk

131. Posted:

Aviator wrote:

TheDreamingHawk wrote:

Regardless, the devil WAS in SSBB, and no one freaked out.

[/div]

[/div]

Your point?

[/div]

That devil world should be able to come to NA, as Books shouldn't stop a game's release.

Edited on by TheDreamingHawk

A Supporter of Reggie Fils-Aime and Respectful opinions
Pokemon black 2 FC: 1808 0259 1596

3DS Friend Code: 4725-7951-6337 | Nintendo Network ID: TheDreaminHawk

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Reala

132. Posted:

TheDreamingHawk wrote:

the_shpydar wrote:

Sigh.
Not.
Gonna.
Happen.
Accept.
It.

[/div]

Being
A
Backseat
Mod
Is
A
Bad
Idea

What part of that was back seat modding? :/

there's nothing that's certain... of that you can be certain

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Geonjaha

133. Posted:

Emaan wrote:

zelda_4_life wrote:

earthbound was a waste of time to play

Keep kidding yourself.

Believe it or not Earthbound exists primarily on underserved hype. It brought a bit of charm to the Dragon Quest style - and the main reason it remains highly regarded is that it doesnt exist anymore. It's certainly not a waste of time, but you fans arent doing yourself any favors by telling those that've never played it thats its the greatest thing ever.

Edited on by Geonjaha

I make Pixel Art on occasion.

3DS Friend Code: 2277-6645-7215

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Reala

134. Posted:

Saw this and just had to post it in the beat a dead horse thread
Untitled

there's nothing that's certain... of that you can be certain

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Electricmastro

135. Posted:

zelda_4_life wrote:

earthbound was a waste of time to play

And you would exactly know that from only playing it once? Or multiple times just to see if you were 100% correct...

Edited on by Electricmastro

Backloggery. Now playing: Spyro: Year of the Dragon, Gex, Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3, Final Fantasy V, and Sonic 3 & Knuckles (Sonic Classic Collection).

3DS Friend Code: 0216-1196-2417 | Nintendo Network ID: Electricmastro

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Emaan

136. Posted:

Geonjaha wrote:

Emaan wrote:

zelda_4_life wrote:

earthbound was a waste of time to play

Keep kidding yourself.

Believe it or not Earthbound exists primarily on underserved hype. It brought a bit of charm to the Dragon Quest style - and the main reason it remains highly regarded is that it doesnt exist anymore. It's certainly not a waste of time, but you fans arent doing yourself any favors by telling those that've never played it thats its the greatest thing ever.

Never said it was the greatest thing ever, (its close)

But its not undeserved hype, its a unique experience unlike anything I've ever played.
If you don't like that, that's your taste. A fan of anything can call it "the greatest thing ever" if they so wish.

Edited on by Emaan

I believe in make believe~
[20:48] Emaan dances the pikpik emaan;
[20:48] Sensei_PikPik does the pikpik emaan
The Emaaloggery
✰ I'm not really here that often anymore ✰

3DS Friend Code: 0559-6948-0467 | Nintendo Network ID: Emaann

AuthorMessage
Avatar

KingMike

137. Posted:

Well, if Johnny B. Goode was one of the things they don't mind changing, I'm surprised Mother 1 isn't on the VC?
Though I know at one point, there's an NPC that asks the player if they've played Dragon Quest 7 yet, though the NPC hadn't yet finished Dragon Quest 4 (which was still in development at the time Mother 1 for the Famicom was released in Japan). In the NES version, it was changed to reference SMB7 and SMB3. (so "SMB7" would only have been 11-21 years away from becoming a real game, depending on if you count it as Sunshine, Galaxy or New SMB2. :D )

KingMike

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Firejonie

138. Posted:

I think Itoi should see that the general public would rather have the game released with minor song and text edits and changes rather than not release it at all. Sure it removes some of the games charm, but it's better than nothing. The fact that SNES copies of the game are expensive doesn't help either. Plus importing is also expensive and you need to know Japanese.

Edited on by Firejonie

Firejonie

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Electricmastro

139. Posted:

I liked the game just enough to do this:

All Pollyanna Themes:

Backloggery. Now playing: Spyro: Year of the Dragon, Gex, Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3, Final Fantasy V, and Sonic 3 & Knuckles (Sonic Classic Collection).

3DS Friend Code: 0216-1196-2417 | Nintendo Network ID: Electricmastro

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Emaan

140. Posted:

@Electricmastro, I love you for this. :*

I believe in make believe~
[20:48] Emaan dances the pikpik emaan;
[20:48] Sensei_PikPik does the pikpik emaan
The Emaaloggery
✰ I'm not really here that often anymore ✰

3DS Friend Code: 0559-6948-0467 | Nintendo Network ID: Emaann