Forums

Topic: Before there were Achievements/Trophies

Posts 1 to 15 of 15

sykotek

I just found this video posted on reddit, it had me was laughing so hard, its hilarious.
Basically, they made a game of collecting the red coins while escaping from the 1up.
[youtube:aSYAQSGAp0I]
I was never that clever in making mini-goals for myself, but I did collect every coin possible in SM64 when it first came out. Some were really tricky especially one you get from killing a bat and having it fall down a hole while boulders were rolling towards you. So yea, the ones I have are generally along the line of collect everything or max out your stuff/stats.

Do any of you have any pre-achievement mini-goals for SM64 or any other games?

What is the meaning of life? That's so easy, the answer is TETRIS.

mecoy

well in castlevania SoTN i beated the game without using one save point ....then my ps1 died on before i got into final fantasy

mecoy

she_gamer

Well, this wasn't really an achievement, but my sister and I used to improve our mario-kart skills by playing a different sort of Battle mode on Super Mario Kart. Instead of trying to hit eachother, we put all the bananas we got in the centre of the arena, fired all red turtle shells into a wall, and then just let loose all the green turtles shells and tried to dodge them. The course got full of them pretty quick, and required some pretty tricky driving.

she_gamer

Nintendo Network ID: she_gamer

Useless_Account

This video made me smile, haha. It was funny when he yelled.
EDIT: I bet you that penguin had no idea. haha.

Edited on by Useless_Account

Useless_Account

ejamer

For the original Super Mario Bros on the NES, we used to have competitions to see who could beat the game (no warps) with the lowest number of coins collected. Much tougher than it sounds.

ejamer

Nintendo Network ID: ejamer

warioswoods

Hehe, I saw some videos like this about a year ago, escaping from the persistent 1-up. Ingenious idea, and this is the first time I've seen it combined with a more definite goal, like getting the red coins.

It reminds me how much I miss the more open-ended level design in Mario 64, which was continued in Sunshine for the most part but then greatly pared down for Galaxy then even more so for Galaxy 2.

Twitter is a good place to throw your nonsense.
Wii FC: 8378 9716 1696 8633 || "How can mushrooms give you extra life? Get the green ones." -

Kaeobais

I do this for Smash Bros alot, actually. More or less mini games, though. For instance, in Onett, we would each take turns getting hit by a car on purpose (on sudden death) until eventually only one remained. We also played on Rainbow Cruise and had one lvl 9 CPU Mario (or a controlled mario) which we could only attack when we were not on the boat. While we were on the boat we had to just avoid him. There were loads more, but I forget most of them.

The best strategy in the game: go up stairs and pause balls.

Betagam7

The achievment/trophy thing really was such a natural extention of what gamers were doing themselves its amazing that it took the major companies so long to come up with the concept.

I know that Nintendo doesn't like the idea of copying rivals ideas but this is something I hope gets explored by the big N in the future, ideally in a pioneering new way, such as unlocking free Wii-points for a certain achievment score...

Edited on by Betagam7

Betagam7

LordJumpMad

Betagam7 wrote:

unlocking free Wii-points for a certain achievment score...

Getting Wii points for Achievment sounds Great, too bad, you can't do that with today game Achievment, like 360.

You do know that alot of people don't like the Wii, because it dose't have any Achievment.
But When I play my Xbox, I don't really go for the Achievment, unless there fun to get or I like the Game I'm playing.
I don't like Achievment that sound like work ,or just plain pointless to do, and just taking the fun out of the game.
I like to enjoy the game I'm playing, and not let Achievment spoiled the fun. Why would I play a game, that I do not like, to just get the Achievment.

Like a Friend I know who plays his Sister's games for the Achievment, and thats going to far.

For you, the day LordJumpMad graced your threads, was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday.
[url=http://www.backloggery.com/jumpmad]Unive...

3DS Friend Code: 4167-4592-9402 | Twitter:

theblackdragon

i don't mind not having Achievements, i just wish there were more games with online leaderboards like Tomena Sanner. I wouldn't have had half as much fun playing that game if it weren't for the fact that other people like malnin, JayArr, shake_zula, and others were going back and forth with me way back when the game first hit. those were fun times in chat, lol. :3

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter:

Adam

I'd be happy with more offline leaderboards. Unless you're absurdly good at a game and/or it is very unpopular, chances of seeing yourself on the board or slim. I wish the new Mega Man games had offline boards so I could compare with my previous scores or with friends.

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

Rally

I love the guys reaction at 1:10..... made me laugh.......

I miss having a chatroom that was always in beta.

Nintendo Network ID: --- | Twitter:

KanrakusPizza

Ah, Japanese. Such creative and funny people.

wont be on here anymore

theblackdragon

weirdadam wrote:

I'd be happy with more offline leaderboards. Unless you're absurdly good at a game and/or it is very unpopular, chances of seeing yourself on the board or slim. I wish the new Mega Man games had offline boards so I could compare with my previous scores or with friends.

that works too... any kind of leaderboards allows you to challenge yourself to beat your prior score, y'know?

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter:

• Page 1 of 1

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.