Forums

Topic: Your latest retro purchase

Posts 781 to 800 of 4,850

KingMike

Ryno wrote:

Anybody know if Contra 4 was originally supposed to come out for the SNES? On the Konami poster is says something about coming soon Contra 4?

Contra III was first announced as "Super Contra IV". I think it was announced in Nintendo Power, and I know it was listed under that name under the "Coming Soon" section in Nintendo's Super NES Player's Guide. (a book reviewing all the games released in 1991, and giving hints on what they must've felt were the better games. Must've been published in early 1992 as I noticed one of the A Link to the Past screenshots is a beta screen, specifically Link fighting five blue Armos Knights and one red one at the same time.)

Though I've wondered what Contra III would've been if that happened. Perhaps they were originally counting Operation C as the third game?
I know Contra Force wasn't released until late the same year (and even then was a hack of a canceled Famicom game).

Edited on by KingMike

KingMike

Ryno

KingMike, one of the retro Nintendo guru's, here's a picture of the poster that is in my Contra III box that I was referring too.
Untitled

I get the impression from this that Konami was thinking about releasing another Contra game for the SNES on top of Contra III but I wonder if it just got scrapped? Or maybe it just became Contra Hard Corps for the Genesis?

oldgamesonly wrote:

most of my trusted friends live out of the city that are into retro gaming...people would want me to constantly change games back and fourth to show them, and it takes a little work for me if i had to do that because, each time i put a new one in a system i clean it to keep contamination out of everything. guess its more of a chore than anything else. and i have a rule:never change a game out until its been beat. no matter what. my ocd has helped me with things like this lol. but if you lived by me id let you in the gameroom. i talk about retro games all day and night. its my life. id rather tell/show you in person what i have than post pics on here though

You are so OCD! But I totally don't blame you about cleaning your games before using them to keep out contamination. I love these classics systems and cartridges and if my orginal SNES got jacked up I would be seriously depressed. That is one hardcore rule you have about not changing out your game until they are beat. I could never do that. Haha... I would for sure check out yoru secret sauce gameroom if we were in the same city;suppose you are not in Seattle huh? What other sites do you go to for retro games?

Edited on by Ryno

To blessed to be stressed.
80's music makes me feel fabulous.
What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

Nintendo Network ID: Choryzo

ogo79

Ryno wrote:

That is one hardcore rule you have about not changing out your game until they are beat.

lol it is
and i live in Texas. as far as other retro game sites i only post on here, but i read around

Edited on by ogo79

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

EvilRegal

Not sure if you'd call Metal Gear Solid HD Collection retro or not. Peace Walker is relatively new, but not MGS 2 & 3. If that doesn't qualify it for retro status, you can also play the MSX version of Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake! Which was one of my reasons for getting it. At last, I can play the TRUE versions of Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2! And maybe I'll face an actual, you know, METAL GEAR at the end of this MSX version, unlike NES "I feel asleep" Metal Gear, LOL.

Let's attack aggressively, kupo! :D

3DS Friend Code: 5241-1915-3356 | Nintendo Network ID: EvilRegal

WiiWareWave

Chrono Cross. It's an awesome rpg with unique gameplay and the largest cast of playable characters I have ever seen in an rpg.

Owner of http://www.WiiWareWave.com

PSN ID: Rukiafan7
NNID: Rukiafan7
Switch FC: SW-6328-7327-5891 ~WiiWareWav~

Switch Friend Code: SW-6328-7327-5891 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiafan7 | Twitter:

KingMike

Got Monster in My Pocket for the NES. Seems a bit generic, but being a Konami game, the game is probably comparatively still better known than the toy its based on (which is probably also the reason Nintendo had to rename a certain RPG).
(like Bucky O' Hare, another Konami licensed platformer. I even forget what the original property was, a cartoon or a toy. Got the Famicom version some time ago but haven't gotten around to playing it.)

KingMike

MrArcade

How do you get pictures on here?

MrArcade

Late

baloonman wrote:

How do you get pictures on here?

Using image tags: [im (just putting this so it doesn't try to make a picture out of this) g] your picture link [/img]
I hope it helps, I made it a little messy.

Edited on by Late

It's its, not it's.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8287-7444-2602 | Nintendo Network ID: LateXD

Ryno

FluttershyGuy wrote:

Not sure if you'd call Metal Gear Solid HD Collection retro or not. Peace Walker is relatively new, but not MGS 2 & 3. If that doesn't qualify it for retro status, you can also play the MSX version of Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake! Which was one of my reasons for getting it. At last, I can play the TRUE versions of Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2! And maybe I'll face an actual, you know, METAL GEAR at the end of this MSX version, unlike NES "I feel asleep" Metal Gear, LOL.

Oh??? The MSX versions are on there too? I was thinking about buying this now it is a pretty for sure thing! I have a reason to turn on my PS3 again!

What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

EvilRegal

Ryno wrote:

FluttershyGuy wrote:

Oh??? The MSX versions are on there too? I was thinking about buying this now it is a pretty for sure thing! I have a reason to turn on my PS3 again!

Yup. I've been playing original Metal Gear today. I thought of playing the games chronologically, in terms of storyline, but I've waited too long to play this. That would've meant finishing Snake Eater and Peace Walker before getting to Metal Gear.

A lot of differences from NES Metal Gear so far. You arrive by water, like you do in Metal Gear Solid, instead of by air. And you start out at Outer Heaven's entrance, instead of in the jungle. And, comfortingly, if you're discovered, you aren't followed from screen to screen. Finally, couldn't help but go squee when I heard that the main theme is the same one you hear during missions in MGS: VR Missions (I think that may be my next retro purchase)! So far, it feels more like Metal Gear than the NES version (I guess primarily because of the entrance and music).

Oh, and the traditional NES era Konami pause jingle when you pause (squee again)! Not Outer Heaven. Retro Heaven!

Edited on by EvilRegal

zezhyrule

Retro_on_theGo wrote:

I was going to get the HD collection anyways seeing as I absolutely love and adore MGS, but now I can't wait!! Ugh, hurry up money! I need to spend you on MGS HD collection! D:

MGS3 in HD is so pretty btw >:3
still have yet to try out the others... should probably get on that

Edited on by zezhyrule

[15:36] Corbs: Vita rules - 3DS drools!

zezloggery | i haz youtube | PSN ID: zezhyrule

[23:11] Phoen...

Retro_on_theGo

zezzy wrote:

Retro_on_theGo wrote:

I was going to get the HD collection anyways seeing as I absolutely love and adore MGS, but now I can't wait!! Ugh, hurry up money! I need to spend you on MGS HD collection! D:

Pffft I'm not gonna play the others till I'm done with 3. After that I'll probably play peace walker since it will be new to me. I'll probably play the MSX games in-between since it will take for ever to get to it! D:

Edited on by Retro_on_theGo

EvilRegal

zezzy wrote:

Retro_on_theGo wrote:

Hmmmm... Maybe I need to spend less time on Metal Gear, and more time on MGS3 ogling The Boss & Eva in HD!

Ryno

WaveBoy wrote:

Ryno wrote:

I totaly laughed when i read the Back to the Future and Ice Cream man comments hahaha. I can relate to feeling too cool for gaming during the mid point of the gamecube era. All i cared about when i was 19-21 was having a blast and partying plus ze' french women.
Videogames took a major back seat into nowhere land as i just didn't care at that point. It was basically just before i hit 22 when i got my DS Lite at launch, with the major hype build up months later when the Wii was announced that totaly kicked me back.
And those are some brilliant teeny weeny analogies regarding Modern and Retro gaming you got there, and i pretty much feel the same way, at least when it comes to the PS3 and XBOX, because I'm still all for new Wii experiences and that's mainly because i adore motion controls when done right like a Great white cartoon shark drugged out on cherry fruit roll ups. But on the PS3 and XBOX, i honestly could care less. I mean I might snag the new Mortal kombat if i ever see it going for cheap, or maybe the new Dead Space 2....Then again, I had a pretty boring time with the original based on my 1 or so hour play through.
Those Americanised 3rd person sloppy clunky controls while using dual analog for aiming felt flippin awful. I'd rather get polverised and dipped in Cartoon acid by Doctor Doom like that poor little shoe did in Who Framed Roger Rabit than put up with those archiac, dinosaur dated, unengaging snore enducing controls again. It felt like i was playing a PS2 game with prettier graphics and in HD....What can I say, I've seen the future of first person and 3rd person(and those are only 2 examples) and they are Wii pointer controls, at least for now until we're warped into virtual reality! Going back to dual analog is worse than eating a plate of deep fried Mario mustaches.
anyways, my PS3 controllers are in a box in storage along with my other games and gizmo gadgets that I've been forced to sell to King Kool-Aid. As for my PS3, i too just use it for DVD's and Blurays....hell, i should of just bought a Bluray player instead, i hate the fact that I'm using a video game console to play movies.
I guess what I'm saying is, my playstation days have officially ended...Then again they had pretty much 2 years ago after playing Resident Evil 5.) and I'm strictly old school retro with a massive splash of modern Nintendo. I'll always stick with Nintendo and their new consoles, it's tradition bud!
As for Kirby, i was never into the series either growing up. I played a bit of Dreamland 3 and Super Star at a friends house but that was it for the pink little fluffer. I ended up playing and beating Kirby's Adventure for the NES VC last year and i thought it ranged from to decent to pretty boring overall, but Super Star Ultra for the DS was quite the radskie omega to be honest, i was pretty impressed by that one.
And then there's Kirby's Epic Yarn which was absolutely unique and gorgeous eye ball candy from a graphical/art direction stand point. But you won't get one ounce of challenge or satisfaction while playing it, after all you can't die.lol Just soak up the bright colorful sugary visuals, listen to the fluffy light hearted charming and whimsical tunes and you'll have a good time if you're in the mood for an unchallenging relaxing platformer. Plus, those Motion Tilt Fire Truck controls were totaly awesome, it's innovation and ideas like 'that' that gets me excited and show me what next gen controls are all about.
Anyways, the Wave Child is hung over at the chocolate minty momento. time to hit the sack and dream about bodacious flourescent flying mullets and amazon babes with big hair. Maybe I'll luck out Y'noid-style and go on a wild adventure with Captain N and his little pal Mega and Icarus. lol

Hilarious stuff there, is it true what they say about French woman? The best thing about the Wii for me was that it got me thinking about Nintendo in apositively fantastic starman light again. My first game with Nintendo after a long hiatus was Metroid Prime 3 and "I was like this is amazing, why did I ever ditch Nintendo? I need to play Super Metroid again after this!” From there the Nintendo * juju* just began to grow like a beanstalk in Super Mario Bros.

I actually liked the original Dead Space though I admit I was still in awe of HD gaming when it came out. At the time it was new, fresh, and cool. I never got around to Dead Space 2, I might snag that up on a super clean out sale along with Mortal Kombat if that ever gets to $30 or less. As for Resident Evil 5 I was so looking forward too and is the only game I have ever bought at a midnight launch and overall I thought it was OK. To me it was just another 3rd person action game. The DLC Lost in Nightmares was pretty cool though. So, I can handle dual analog for a game but then I need to mix in some excellent retro 2D platforming or Wii motion action to break up the monotony. Like you I am keeping it retro with some modern games on Nintendo consoles mixed in. Life is too short to play video games all the time so it’s time for me to figure out my priorities. It’s like a video game jungle sometimes it make wonder how I keep from going under.

WaveBoy wrote:

@Ryno
Oh and awesome buy regarding Contra III! Once again, i've been even more inspired to get a CIB Nes game next pay check and a little something else. Contra III is definitly one of the best in the franchise, yet I've always been thrown off by it's more mechanical, darker and serious far less colorful & industrial envirtonments, tone and style. I mean bring back that lucious amazon, give me some bright blue killer water falls, not some construction site or some dungey streets and a warehouse.

Still it's an awesome game for sure. Yet the original will always be my favorite. Super C was a fun sequal and Contra 4 while good would of been better had it been one screen only. Those enemy bullets and projectiles zap through the screen like a rabit coming out of a mega magic hat. Still haven't played Hardcorps, I've got a copy of Contra: Operation C for the GB which i still need to play, and then there's the PS3 sequal 'Hardcore: Uprising". Yet Contra ReBirth was easily the worst of the bunchy bunch, half bunzed attempt with uncreative cookie cutter bosses(aside from the epic galactic space Catapilar in the first stage hehe) and it's so short, plus the wussy unlimited continues make the experience even MORE short and far less challenging. I want to have 'limited' continues, so I can go back to the start each time and master the freakaleakin' game and learn from my ninja turtle mistakes.

And it Contra 4 shouldn't of been callled Contra 4, as it was more like a remake/re-imagening of the original.
Anyways Retro Christmasy purchases coming my way less than 2 weeks!

Contra III is a good time, so many cool touches and things like riding motorcycles and jumping from missile to missile that can only be done on the SNES. The whole overhead R and L scrolling stages add a whole other beast to the Contra carnage. But dude, the game takes place in 2636 or something like so by then there is not lush Amazon forest and tranquil cascading waterfalls left. Never played Contra 4 obviously since I am DSles but I beat Super C for the first time on the wife’s older 18” CRT TV 2 nights ago! All I got to say is Super C, I know it’s not a Top Wave Fave, looked absolutely beautiful. The colors popped at me like I was kariting on Rainbow Road.

Waveboy, OldGamesOnly, Retro_on_theGo: Ok fine, so I am the weird one because I will change a game out before I beat it. I don’t like having a game floating around “unbeat” haunting me like Freddy Kreuger though. It’s terrible.

[quote="Ryno"]

FluttershyGuy wrote:

FluttershyGuy wrote:

Yup. I've been playing original Metal Gear today. I thought of playing the games chronologically, in terms of storyline, but I've waited too long to play this. That would've meant finishing Snake Eater and Peace Walker before getting to Metal Gear.

A lot of differences from NES Metal Gear so far. You arrive by water, like you do in Metal Gear Solid, instead of by air. And you start out at Outer Heaven's entrance, instead of in the jungle. And, comfortingly, if you're discovered, you aren't followed from screen to screen. Finally, couldn't help but go squee when I heard that the main theme is the same one you hear during missions in MGS: VR Missions (I think that may be my next retro purchase)! So far, it feels more like Metal Gear than the NES version (I guess primarily because of the entrance and music).

Oh, and the traditional NES era Konami pause jingle when you pause (squee again)! Not Outer Heaven. Retro Heaven!

Sounds So Super Stealthy Snakealicious, I will put in on my Christmas list!

Edited on by Ryno

What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

Ryno

I got this and though I dont really think GBA is really "retro" I am still going to post in this particular latest video game purchase thread. After all it has the original Castlevania style "C," and not the crescent moon version dreamed up by Dracula himself during one of his all night all you can eat pork chop washed down with human blood Transylvanian rave's with all his favorite Succubus's. I have put about 30 minutes into it so far during my lunch break (because that is the only time I play portable video games) and I must say I will certainly be looking forward to my lunch hour even more for awhile! It makes me wish I had the headphone dangly thing for my GBA SP so I can go vampire hunting with all its Castlevania signature audio style maximized to the fullest.

Untitled

Edited on by Ryno

What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic