Topic: Your latest retro purchase

Showing 521 to 540 of 3,429

AuthorMessage

Tasuki

521. Posted:

WiiAboutU wrote:

KingMike wrote:

Disk Drive.

What kind of disk, cd or like a floppy disc?

Like a floppy disc.

What does this have to do with a Retro purchase?

Pushsquare moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

AuthorMessage

WiiAboutU

522. Posted:

How or why was the disk superior to the N64 cartridges?

Wii#: 8509193650686895 Overturn friend code: 4942-6801-5476 Water Warfare friend code: 3611-2517-8747 Valhalla Knights: Eldar Saga friend code: 5458-1453-0863

AuthorMessage

Tasuki

523. Posted:

WiiAboutU wrote:

How or why was the disk superior to the N64 cartridges?

Instead of derailing this thread WiiaboutU, why dont you create a new thread if you have questions about the N64DD? This thread is more for about your latest retro purchases.

Pushsquare moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

AuthorMessage

KingMike

524. Posted:

The 64 discs were a magnetic media. I guess the closest was a Zip drive (a magnetic disk inside a cart). If anyone remembers those, they were popular for a few years in the late '90s because of the 100-250MB capacity (when 1.44MB floppies were still the most common portable storage media). But then they died. Partly because only one company made them, so prices stood high, and then because CD-RW and flash drives became commonplace.

The original advantage of the disks... was honestly a bit like the FDS all over again. They promised 64MB of space (in the days when 8-12MB N64 carts were common), but in the end they did make 64MB carts. The disk media was rewritable, saving the publishers of extra expense for RAM/EEPROM/Flash chips in the cart. I think it was also meant to provide game updates (as it's suspected that some of the "lost" content in Ocarina of Time was meant to be unlocked with an add-on disk), as I've heard OoT would ask you to insert an update disk if you played it while a 64DD was attached.

Edited on by KingMike

KingMike

AuthorMessage

Retro_on_theGo

525. Posted:

I bought F-Zero X for the N64 today. I love it! The music is freaking awesome and the challenge is definitely there. I'm also trying to win Cybernator and/or Wild Guns for the SNES on ebay.

"When freaky aliens give you lemons, make freaky alien lemonade!" -Hades 3DS FC: 5026-4421-7593
Black 2 FC: 0605 4087 9952 My Backloggery
My Colors! 3D Gallery

AuthorMessage

Splat

526. Posted:

Retro_on_theGo wrote:

I bought F-Zero X for the N64 today.

I approve.

"What do you reckon, we're gonna have to climb that thing?" ~ Chloe Frazer

"I reckon I'M gonna have to climb that thing." ~ Nathan Drake

AuthorMessage

WiiAboutU

527. Posted:

@KingMike Was the N64DD ever localised in NA?

Edited on by WiiAboutU

Wii#: 8509193650686895 Overturn friend code: 4942-6801-5476 Water Warfare friend code: 3611-2517-8747 Valhalla Knights: Eldar Saga friend code: 5458-1453-0863

AuthorMessage

Retro_on_theGo

528. Posted:

I caved in and bought Star Fox for the SNES on ebay just now! ._. Can't wait to play it.

@WiiAboutU No it was not. Now it has already been stated this is not the thread to be asking that. I'm sure there's another retro thread where you can ask all you want. This one is for letting people know what retro games you just bought. :)

"When freaky aliens give you lemons, make freaky alien lemonade!" -Hades 3DS FC: 5026-4421-7593
My Colors! 3D Gallery

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

529. Posted:

Retro_on_theGo wrote:

I caved in and bought Star Fox for the SNES on ebay just now! ._.

Good boy.

Doesn't talk about games.

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

noblo601

530. Posted:

I haven't bought anything of interest in regards to retro recently (As I'm saving for a 3ds), but I just wanted to comment that this is my favourite thread.

By the way, do you guys think it is worth buying games like Links Awakening DX on cartridge if I can as opposed to 3ds store? How useful is the suspend play feature?

www.gamerswithgfs.com - Find us on facebook too!

AuthorMessage

dinkelberg

531. Posted:

i love the wii and all its great games from the past and new ones as well ^^ but one thing i cant stand about it is this before virtual console games came every week in europe we miss Mega man 5 and mega man x and after that i think wiis virtual console is history there is no great games coming anymore because nearly all of them is allready there. i mean we could get mega man 6 and 7 as well. but before nintendo said that The Legend of zelda Majoras Mask was impossible to code but it was not why is it so big of a deal to release Starfox on the snes ? all the virtual console games will be on the wii u and i think donkey kong 64 and Starfox on the snes will be there because the console is more powerfull and the online is much much better.

dinkelberg

AuthorMessage

dinkelberg

532. Posted:

i love the wii and all its great games from the past and new ones as well ^^ but one thing i cant stand about it is this before virtual console games came every week in europe we miss Mega man 5 and mega man x and after that i think wiis virtual console is history there is no great games coming anymore because nearly all of them is allready there. i mean we could get mega man 6 and 7 as well. but before nintendo said that The Legend of zelda Majoras Mask was impossible to code but it was not why is it so big of a deal to release Starfox on the snes ? all the virtual console games will be on the wii u and i think donkey kong 64 and Starfox on the snes will be there because the console is more powerfull and the online is much much better.

dinkelberg

AuthorMessage

KingMike

533. Posted:

WiiAboutU wrote:

It was only released in Japan, which is surprising because the N64 wasn't very popular other there. I hear it was also only sold over the Internet and that online shopping wasn't popular there at the time either.
So in the end only about eight games were released for it.
Afterwards, the unsold drives were destroyed, leaving an estimated 15K in existence.

KingMike

AuthorMessage

Ryno

534. Posted:

Retro_on_theGo wrote:

I caved in and bought Star Fox for the SNES on ebay just now! ._. Can't wait to play it.

What took you so long? :p Also, anyone know what is the guy saying at the beginning before you take off? Emergency, Emergency. Something? something? something?Prepare for launch.

noblo601 wrote:

By the way, do you guys think it is worth buying games like Links Awakening DX on cartridge if I can as opposed to 3ds store? How useful is the suspend play feature?

I think it is worth buying the cartridge but then again for the most part I am a guy that buys original cartridges complete with boxes and manuals and plays the games on there originally intended system instead of buying the digital "copy." The supsend feature in Links Awakening is not necessary. Just save it at any time and you will start at the last door you entered or at the beginning of the dungeon.

Edited on by Ryno

To blessed to be stressed.
I miss Japanese games, the good stuff... Games that are imaginative, have good and unique gameplay, a great soundtrack, and replay value.
What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

Nintendo Network ID: Choryzo

AuthorMessage

WiiAboutU

535. Posted:

KingMike wrote:

WiiAboutU wrote:

It was only released in Japan, which is surprising because the N64 wasn't very popular other there. I hear it was also only sold over the Internet and that online shopping wasn't popular there at the time either.
So in the end only about eight games were released for it.
Afterwards, the unsold drives were destroyed, leaving an estimated 15K in existence.

That sucks, it seems all of the really interesting technology gets localised only in Japan.

AuthorMessage

Ryno

536. Posted:

Alright... So I will help get this thread back on topic. I just got this:

Untitled

I miss Japanese games, the good stuff... Games that are imaginative, have good and unique gameplay, a great soundtrack, and replay value.
What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

AuthorMessage

WiiAboutU

537. Posted:

Good choice @Ryno. I like to see someone has some taste.

AuthorMessage

WiiAboutU

538. Posted:

I wish I could get my hands on a copy of "Fester's Quest" for NES.

AuthorMessage

Retro_on_theGo

539. Posted:

@Ryno Holy crud, awesome purchase man! I love that Chip 'n Dale game! The music is really great. Wow, you got the box and everything too. I envy you!

My Colors! 3D Gallery

AuthorMessage

Ryno

540. Posted:

@Retro_on_theGo Thanks dude! I loved me some Rescue Rangers co-op back in the day so I am glad to have this game again and bust it out when some friends are over. I never realized how much it was like SMB2! The tunes are defintely great. Capcom definitely was a master of music for the NES. Which retro systems do you have/collect games for?

Edited on by Ryno

What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery