Forums

Topic: Your latest retro purchase

Posts 4,841 to 4,850 of 4,850

NeonPizza

@Tasuki
I was kind of flirting with the idea of getting the analogue Pocket, but in all honesty, I'd rather just use a Super Game Boy + SNES(Or Super Nt), and a Gamecube with a GBA Player just to get them running on a 27" CRT or 32" - 42" QD-OLED, just to play them on the big screen . And I'm not familiar enough with the Game Gear(Doesn't that require an adapter for the Analogue Pocket?), other than getting one right before my trip to disney land back in 93. I only played a few games on it, but the motion ghosting, awful battery life, bulky form factor and that annoying Game Gear sound eventually did me in. The honey moon faze didn't even last two months with that thing. Sure it had colour and a back lit screen, But it lacked that GameBoy charm, form factor, reliability and quality line up of games.

I had a good time with GameGear Shinobi though, which was available through the 3DS's Virtual Console. I also had the GBA at launch, but was over it within a few months. I just wasn't too big on handheld gaming until the DSLite came out in 2006, and especially the 3DS thanks to it's 3D effect, AR mixed reality, SwapNote, handheld Virtual console and whatever else. It didn't have the strongest library of games, especially when stacked against the DS, but it was packed to the brim with amazing features.

But ya, Wario Land 1 on Game Boy is easily one of my favorite game of all time. It's one of Nintendy's greatest platformers, that tends to get overlooked.

Edited on by NeonPizza

NeonPizza

Tasuki

@WaveBoy I might be wrong, but isn't there an adapter for the Mega Sg to play Game Gear games on it? I know there's one to play Master System games on it.

But yeah I hear ya with the Game Gear. A friend of mine had one (He was all about Sega) and I'd try it on the weekend when I was over at his place and compared to Gameboy, there was no comparison. Even tbe games were dubs IMO. Unlike Gameboy where each game was its own thing, yeah Marioland was inspired by SMB and Link's Awakening was clearly inspired by Zelda 3, they were their own games. It seems that Game Gear games were just sloppy Master System ports.

I wish I still had my Super Gameboy and eveny Gameboy games for that matter but it is what it is. I am at the point now where I am not buying stuff just to have anymore and that goes for gaming as well. While lot of Gameboy games are good I am not going to play them after I initially get them and they will just sit on a shelf collecting dust.

I never played Warioland 1 till it came to 3DS VC but yeah it was a great game. One of the few games I enjoyed on the Gameboy. I also liked Mega Man V for its unique story.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

romanista

Just bought a 27 turnable monitor to pair with my analogue dock and my hori stick to make a little fpga arcade paradise..

NintendoNetwork: Romanista77, Switch: 5098 6135 1325,3DS 0318 8943 647
PS4: Romanista345, Xbox 360: Romanista, Steam: Romanista345; Wii: 7214 8673 0486 1521

Zuljaras

I bought a Wii. It is my first one. I saw a listing for a Wii with the GameCube controller ports. Also it came with a classic controller which is awesome because I have NO idea how people are excited about that gimmick remote control ...

Anyway, I have also Resident Evil 3 Nemesis for the GC and a GC controller on the way

I also had to get a Wii2HDMI adapter that works like a charm

I think I will mostly use it for GC games and emulation

NeonPizza

@Tasuki
Ya, I think there is. The Adapter is probably a hunk of plastic that sticks out the back of the Analogue Pocket, and raises the Carts an inch or two above the handheld. Not the most aesthetically pleasing, but hey, at least they're compatible. Miles better to play Game Gear games on an analogue pocket than an actual game gear for numerous reasons.

And ya, a lot of GG games, just felt like lesser smaller downgraded low-tier ports of actual Genesis games. I always go for original entries, which the GB has in spades, in most cases. Be it Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge, Wario Land 1, Contra Operation C, Kid Icarus: Of Myths & Monsters, Links Awakening, Batman: The Video Game, TMNT III: Radical Rescue, just to name a few.

And i hear ya. I'm not interested in filling a room up with Bookcases of games. I store my Saturn, PS1, Dreamcst, Gamecube & Wii games in a CD Binder, which is not even 2" thick when stored on a shelf, and holds almost 100 discs. I've got zero desire at this point getting CIB copies, maybe just a few, to keep as souvenirs of some of my favourite games. But ultimately, I'd rather just save major coin by going for loose discs, while having much less clutter.

https://www.amazon.ca/ALAVISXF-Capacity-Plastic-Organizer-Por...

Retro collecting can be stressful though, it can start to feel like baggage, or absolutely overwhelming and it can easily rob you of NEW experiences which equals new memories with modern games on Switch and whatever else. That's why I'm going light on the retro stuff and going for the loose disc & cart route of games that truly mean something to me, and not over doing it.

Edited on by NeonPizza

NeonPizza

NeonPizza

In the next few days I'll be ordering an AVS. Yay me, and 7 years late to the party. And really, that console would look so much nicer with that silly big lid taken off, exposing the sticker art work from whatever cart you have plunked in, while maybe adding a bright red 'Nintendo Entertainment System' decal plunked on the far-end middle back to make it look less vanilla than it does out of the box.

And thank god there's a scanline CRT option. I don't know about you guys, but I can't stand the high resolution, super sharp, Squared visuals when playing 8-16 bit games in 720p or 1080p on an HDTV. It looks awful, and destroys that natural, more cartoon-like smoother aesthetic compared to playing these older consoles on a CRT SDTV. Plus, pairing it with an 8BitDo N30(2.4ghz version) should make it feel like a proper modern revision.

Untitled

Untitled

Edited on by NeonPizza

NeonPizza

Tasuki

@NeonPizza Will be interested to hear your thoughts on the AVS, I love mine a d what's really cool is the fact that you can use original controllers on it. I am still rockin my NES controllers as well as the NES Advantage from when I was a kid!!!

As for my latest purchase, I decided to check out my local Flea Market this past weekend since the weather was great and ended up finding a copy of Sim City for the SNES for only $10!!! Couldn't pass up that deal.

My Backlog

NeonPizza

@Tasuki
This forum is on total life support. lol it's a mere shadow of what it used to be back in the late 2000's and early 2010's that's for sure. Anyways! Still haven't ordered the AVS just yet. I plan on getting a composite modded Top Loader too next month.

It's just too bad Nintendo Royally Messed up the TL 'dog bone' controller by making the B & A buttons positioned diagonally. When you play something like Mario 1, 2 & 3 and you have to hold down B to run, where you're then forced to awkwardly arch your hand and thumb up to hit A when jumping. Back to the OG controller, which is great don't get me wrong. I just wish the Cable was placed directly in the middle and not towards the upper left.

And SimCity. lol I remember seeing one of my friends back in the day play that one, around the time the SNES launched in 91-92. It was basically cannon fodder when sided next Super Mario World and even F-Zero, but still pretty cool nonetheless and even visually impressive in it's own weird way! Haven't played it in ages. Does it still hold up? And I need to score a copy of Demon's Crest. Easily one of the best looking snes games by a frikkin 16 bit landslide.

Edited on by NeonPizza

NeonPizza

Tasuki

@NeonPizza Right. Either that or it's filled with talk about their latest Wii purchase.

Yeah the dogbone controllers were nice but that button position mess me up as well. If I am playing the NES it's gott be the original controls for me or the NES Advantage!

I remember renting Demon's Crest one night over at a friend's sleepover. After downing tons of Jolt Cola and Dominos Noid Pizza we popped that sucker into the SNES and we were blown away by how great it looked. To this day it's still one of my favorite SNES games.

My Backlog

NeonPizza

@Tasuki
lol. I have no problemo' initiating or diving deep into a conversation about all things Wii, but as long as it's not with the kids who grew up with the thing. Wii is the furthest thing from Retro, and neither is Gamecube. It's hard to imagine anything from the early to mid 2000's being classified as Retro. Even in another 10 years.

Domino's Noid Pizza was classic. Those commercials were and still are brilliant. They definitely don't make commercials like they used to. What can I say, the times kind of suck.

I only have vague memories of Demon's Crest, specifically the games first 20 minutes where you're escaping that prison with that massive detailed Dragon-creature, followed up by Stage 1's grave yard. Never had an SNES of my own, which is mind boggling, because it was easily my favourite console at that point. I could have easily of gotten one for Christmas or for my B-day, but I ended up just sticking with NES & Genesis, then moved on to Saturn(Briefly) and then PS1, while my brother ended up getting an N64 of his own a couple years later.

That's my biggest gaming regret. Not getting the SNES, when the opportunity struck twice a year during the earlier 90's. I guess deep down I was a bit 'team Sega', secretly rooting for the edgy underdog, and yet, I spent far more time playing the SNES at friends houses and absolutely loving it. The Genesis, 95% of the time felt second fiddle. Mostly grating SFX and voice overs that sounded as if the characters were drowning in a sea of a electricity. lol And most of the NA music was just torture to the ears. Many of the JPN GEN OST's were incredible though, like Streets of Rage 1&2, Decap Attack, Castlevania Bloodlines etc. I only like a small handful of Genesis titles these days. Most of them don't hold up, and feel less meaty, and bare bones compared to what SNES offered.

Untitled

Genesis games i still enjoy to play would probably be Castlevania: Bloodlines, Rocket Knight Adventures, Shadow Dancer, Splatterhouse 2&3, The Adventures of Batman & Robin, Wings of Wor, Trouble Shooter, just to name a few.

Edited on by NeonPizza

NeonPizza

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic