Forums

Topic: Your latest retro purchase

Posts 4,821 to 4,840 of 4,984

games-of-death

Recently I bought a snes for 65$ dollars, with Star Fox that costed 40$ dollars. Honestly I’m beginning to regret choosing the Snes as my first Retro Console to collect games for.

games-of-death

HauntedNostril

I collected everything for Master System (yes even that goldy front-covered HES game that almost as rare as dinosaur nipples and all the Tectoy Brazilian jazz). Then I crushed all of them onto a Raspberry Pi and got completely disenchanted with filling my breathing space with old plastic tat.

Edited on by HauntedNostril

HauntedNostril

games-of-death

@HauntedNostril
That’s literally the reason that I regret picking up a Snes, because days later of getting the Snes I added the Retro Pie software to my Raspberry Pie.

Edited on by games-of-death

games-of-death

HauntedNostril

@games-of-death - at least you can legally DL and keep the emulated software if you already own it. It's basically just a backup.

But it is disgusting the prices some of these games go for on eBay and the likes, even the digital versions on the shops are often no better than a quick emulation job, plus they rarely feature enough extras to justify their cost. The weird thing is that people seem to think there is something noble in getting scalped for 30-year-old titles that you can fit a million of on a memory stick because it's all in the name of being a "collector" - pish and tosh i say, sir!

Edited on by HauntedNostril

HauntedNostril

HauntedNostril

Perhaps there needs to be a point where games companies go "You know what, it's you, the fans, that have really given these games the status they currently hold, you who have made it a phenomenon. Here, have all the old ones in a nice bundle for nowt, and may you continue to replenish our yatch funds for as long as the sequels keep on rolling."

Then again I've always been a dreamer....but 8 quid for VS. Super Mario Bros on switch store is a bleedin' joke.

HauntedNostril

games-of-death

HauntedNostril wrote:

But it is disgusting the prices some of these games go for on eBay and the likes, even the digital versions on the shops are often no better than a quick emulation job, plus they rarely feature enough extras to justify their cost. The weird thing is that people seem to think there is something noble in getting scalped for 30-year-old titles that you can fit a million of on a memory stick because it's all in the name of being a "collector" - pish and tosh i say, sir!

That’s true about Ebay, but honestly retro game stores are exactly the same sometimes. My local game store sold me Star Fox with the back of the cartridge yellow and without no screws on the front for 40$ dollars. I know it’s a mistake that I did not return it but, honestly I was so excited for having Star Fox that I did not want to return it.

games-of-death

KingMike

Watching Jeremy Parish's Game Boy chronological reviews so I ended up buying an obscure Japanese game, Astro Rabby.
I can definitely see a little bit of a learning curve in it.

Though it looks like we've all kind of slowed down on the retro game purchasing lately?

Edited on by KingMike

KingMike

the_shpydar

Yeah, been a while i posted here — the Switch has taken up most of my gaming time for the past several months.

But i did hit up the retro shop a few weeks ago, picked up Contra (NES) (an absolute must-have for any NES collection) and Rolling Thunder (NES) (a great port of the arcade, which i've been playing a bunch of on Namco Museum).

Also picked up Def Jam Vendetta (GC) a little while ago. Great AKI wrestling game, with the same perfect control scheme as their N64 WCW & WWF games, even though it is light on features (limited mach types, no CAW). I want to get the sequel (Def Jam Fight for NY) eventually since it's supposed to be better in just about every way, but for some reason it commands a fairly premium price these days.

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong.
Urban Champion is GLORIOUS.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5973-1398-6394 | 3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | My Nintendo: theShpydar | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

the_shpydar

@Tasuki
Yeah, i actually got it back in November (i think? right around whenever Odyssey came out). I absolutely love it. I've put almost 250 hours in to Zelda alone, and i'm loving the HAMSTER releases of all the arcade and NeoGeo stuffs.

It's a good thing i finished Samus Returns before i got it, because since then my poor 3DS has gone completely neglected (and on a related note, i had to disconnect my 360 from the TV when i got the Switch because of not enough HDMI ports, and i haven't ever reconnected the 360 since).

The Shpydarloggery

Switch Friend Code: SW-5973-1398-6394 | 3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | My Nintendo: theShpydar | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

Fiyaball

Haven't really gotten much lately. Did go to a store in Atlanta and picked up Legacy of the Wizard, a general NP Tricks and Tips guide from ~1992, Jet Force Gemini, Resident Evil 0, and Darkened Skye for $44.47. They had Little Red Riding Hood's Zombie BBQ for $90 there, but I decided to pass.

Fiyaball

the_shpydar

Fiyaball wrote:

They had Little Red Riding Hood's Zombie BBQ for $90 there, but I decided to pass.

Holy crap, is that what that game is going for now? I used to own it (and enjoyed the hell out of it), but ended up trading it in at some point after playing through it a bunch of times. Wish i had held on to it!

The Shpydarloggery

Tasuki

Yeah unfortunately I haven't down any new retro purchases lately mainly due to time and money. With my rent going up next month I doubt I will even be making many retro game purchases here soon. 😥

Push Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

darkswabber

After my recent dissapointment of all the ps1 games being fake and thus not buying them (made a forum post about the games), followed by a string of dissapointments I finally had some luck.

Last weekend I bought new copies of rhythm paradise and geometry wars for the DS for a total of €3 (my local toy store still had them hidden away in a sale bin from 10 years ago).
I bought jack skellington for DI, super mario land 2 and a gb game holder for €5.
And last but not least I bought a gameboy player add on for the gamecube + beyond good and evil and sonic gems collection for €25. (The GB player actually came with a gamecube, lotr return of the king and a controller but I resold that for €40 to a friend, the GC usually goes for €50 where I live)

Edited on by darkswabber

darkswabber

Twitter:

MarcelRguez

@darkswabber Congrats, those are some very nice deals. Isn't the GC version of Beyond Good and Evil pricey these days?

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

darkswabber

@MarcelRguez factory sealed, yes. Used, about €10.
I think any factory sealed game from generation 6 and before are worth a fortune.

Edited on by darkswabber

darkswabber

Twitter:

MarcelRguez

@darkswabber Just 10€? Man, there's no demand for that game at all, huh? I was expecting it to be more in the 25-40 range, since there aren't that many GC copies floating around here.

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

KingMike

Isn't it more common on one or both of its generation rivals? Being a non-exclusive game would probably reduce its value a bit.

KingMike

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic