Forums

Topic: Your latest retro purchase

Posts 4,821 to 4,840 of 4,850

Ryu_Niiyama

Finally picked up one of those arcade 1up cabinets. Might get the matching stool on payday. I’ll put in happ buttons and a better joystick eventually but I always wanted to own at least one arcade cabinet (even a repro). Since I will be renting for the next five years or so I decided here was my chance. Got the street fighter yoga flame edition.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

ClaytonGardner

My most recent acquisition from the retro gaming era is Super Metroid for the SNES.

ClaytonGardner

XandertheWise

next time im going to buy old NES Ski or Die next month and going to be playing it for my Retro Duo console

XandertheWise

skywake

I said this in another thread when I ordered the thing but it has arrived today. Got an Anbernic RG35XX+ so I've been playing it today. Not using their sketchy microSD card, loaded up my own. With my own collection of ROMs I've paid for and own in one form or another. Also Cave Story which is natively ported to it and I've brought twice on other platforms

Reason I picked it up was because I had been looking at modding my old GB stuff with IPS screens, rechargeable batteries and what not. But when I looked into it it was going to cost basically as much as one of these portable emulator devices. And these devices have no issues with GB so... easy sell...

So I've been spending most of today playing Pokemon Pinball, with a backlit screen, and rumble

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

NeonPizza

Ordered an 8BitDo 2.4g N30 Wireless NES controller for the original NES. Confirmed and tested to have only 3.6ms of input lag, which is a trillion times better than the standard bluetooth version. Wouldn't mind getting an NES 'Top Loader', aka NES model 2 which released back in 93, which I've actually never owned prior, nor seen in person, just to switch things up since I'm so used to staring at the original 1986 toaster in all of it's door flapping, cart pressing, semi-unreliable glory. Iconic, beautiful and oh so nostalgic, but it's time to switch things up!

Plus, I love how you can actually see the cart that you're playing once it's plunked in the TL, just like with SNES & N64. It may only have an RF connection(No AV), but i actually prefer RF on a CRT solely for NES games, over composite. It's super nostalgiac, and the softer image helps smoothens out character and environmental pixels, giving games a more roundish cartoonier' aesthetic.

Once you get to SNES, GEN & maybe TGFX, than it's time to go composite. Then S-Video for Saturn, PS1 & Dreamcast, and finally Component for Gamecube & Wii, when paired with a CRT. Although, Retrovision now sells component for a handful of retro consoles. If you have a Sony wega trinitron, which supports component, that should be the way to fly since component does have the edge in terms of contrast and colour over S-Video, but it's nowhere near as drastic, or as big of a leap compared to going from composite to S-video.

Untitled

Untitled
Untitled

Edited on by NeonPizza

NeonPizza

Tasuki

@WaveBoy I have always wanted a Top Loader NES, I just always loved the design. Closest I ever got to one is the display at my local Toys R Us. Toys R Us, now that was such awesome place. Seeing the row and rows of the NES games box art and then the plastic sleeve holding the ticket for whatever game was on the display box. Then taking it up to the pick up area. Such an experience way better then waiting for package from Amazon when you buy a game nowadays.

But yeah I always wanted the top loader NES but I too had the boxy NES.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

NeonPizza

@Tasuki
I find that the memories I have of the very late 80's and earlier 90's are starting to become a little less powerful, nostalgic and vivid as time rolls by. The memories that I do have, even if they're fickle, last just a few seconds or so and don't feel quite as special compared to when i thought about them in my mid to late 20's,10+ years ago. It's so frustrating that we mostly forget everything, and can only remember so much. It's almost like you second guess it. "That happened, didn't it. Of course it did!" it's just that it's been so long since. I'm sure i came across the iconic colored NES game sleeves, during my Toys R US days, i just don't remember though.

I have far more Toys R Us action figure memories centered around TMNT & Ghostbusters, if anything. Yet I DO remember heading to my local mall, and going into some game store and seeing black and white NES cover art sleeves/slips lined up in rows specifically as game rentals. That's when i remember renting Gremlins 2 on NES.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/4d/2e/1a/4d2e1abbb9dc08909fcec...

And the next two retro consoles that I'll be picking up is a PC Engine Duo-R(With a region free switch), which plays all TGFX & PC-Engine Game cards & CD's, and an NES Top Loader.

Untitled

I've never owned either before, and I completely missed out on the TGFX like most of us did way back when. The first and last time i saw one, was back in 1990, at my local malls game shop, or was it Radio Shack? Anyways! They had the TGFX on display including it's gnarly line up of accessories & games, including Keith courage in samurai mode hacking up enemies on a small CRT, which obliterated anything my NES could do, in their main showcase and to the right, when you walked in, was a TGFX Kiosk with, Drum roll.....Bonk's Adventure .

It was really impressive, the larger more detailed sprites and more vibrant richer colours Vs what my NES could do were a clear cut above. I'm just grateful that i got to experience the level of innovation, freshness and big leaps in obvious power from each console to the next, the birth of 3D gaming, with new franchises being born left and right during those times, which simply just doesn't really exist anymore.

But back to the TGFX, I didn't know anybody that had one, and it practically faded into obscurity once I got my Genesis, and especially SNES. Releasing the TGFX in late 89 was just a straight up bad move since it came out two years prior in Japan. It was going up against the 16-bit Genesis which released 1-2 months later i think in NA. It could of had a two year head start if it nearly released simultaneously in 87' with the PC Engine in Japan.

Then you had to buy a controller adapter(for more than one player), & an AV/composite adapter...Plus, the CD cover art was pretty lousy, the E-cards only had the game's logo on it and the game library felt limited compared to what JPN had. They royally messed it up. Had it released in NA, in 87', with 2 controller ports built in, an AV port, better CD cover art, had the game's box art on the game cards, and more JPN titles i think the outcome would of been pretty different. And I've gotta say, TGFX games have a much larger, more vibrant and richer colour palette, than what Genesis was dishing out. Plus, numerous Genesis titles had that 'drowning in a sea of electricity' Voice over SFX. It was rough. lol

Edited on by NeonPizza

NeonPizza

NeonPizza

Just ordered an 8BitDo 2.4g M30 Sega Genesis Wireless controller. Kind of sucks that it doesn't retain the classic OG red lettered genesis 3 button controllers design(Which is my personal fav')/colour scheme, but supposedly it's a lot more comfortable. And with just under 4ms(3.6ms to be exact.) of latency, ditching the wire might just be worth it! Plus, pairing this with an Analogue Mega SG is the perfect way for a moderized Genesis experience, on something like a smaller QD-OLED TV.

Untitled

Now this is definitely my favourite GEN controller design, by a land slide. The 1989 launch 3 button classic(Or the Wireless Switch clone below.), which eventually got replaced with the White A,B,C & arrows variant, that i think most people are far more familiar with. The touch of red just makes it look more unique and less vanilla. Typically not a fan of all-black controllers or consoles, but this is one of the few exceptions.

Untitled

Untitled

And then we have Retro-Bit's 6 button wired clone controller. I've got one of these myself, and it's legit. If you're a fan of the 6-button, it's a no brainer.

Untitled

Edited on by NeonPizza

NeonPizza

Tasuki

@WaveBoy That's the set up I have for my Genny collection the Mega SG and the 8bitdo Genesis controller, then I have my Sega CD attached to it.

I always preferred the 6 button controller over the original Genny controller. Maybe it was my hands at the time when I was a kid, but the 3 button controller was too large for me, plus I hated playing games like Street Fighter 2 with it. Having to toggle between punches and kicks, ugh such a pain.

I have both the Mega SG and Super NT and those are great, the next best thing to the original consoles and a CRT TV. Sadly it's becoming harder and harder to find a CRT anymore. Even my local thrift stores don't carry them like they use to. Hence why I am opting over the FPGA clone systems for my retro gaming needs nowadays.

My Backlog

NeonPizza

@Tasuki
Nice! What kind of HDTV do you have your Mega SG & SNES NT connected to? And in all honesty, i haven't held a 3 button genesis controller in over 5 years, and it's important to replace the button membranes with new ones, which i never did. So it felt extra sloppy, Big batarang form factor and jumbo sized buttons aside. The retro-bit wired 6 button does feel nice, but even back in the early 90's i barely used my 6 button. And never play Street Fighter II on genesis, the SNES versions destroyed it. lol Everything from the visuals, colours, music and SFX. The genny version was just degraded and completely whack. I remember renting it one time and being utterly dissapointed. The 6 button had no chance at saving it haha.

Also, 'QD'-OLED is currently the best 4K HDTV tech on the market, which is the next best solution to CRT for retro consoles, while having a few advantages, but a couple of big disadvantages. But ya, Samsung is releasing a 32" QD-OLED(G8) monitor in about a month, which I think translates to a 27" 4:3 picture. Perfect size for those Analogue NES, SNES, GEN & TGFX consoles, ala' 8-16 bit gaming.

However, connecting the original hardware to lets say, a 27" Sony Trinitron CRT from the late 90's or early to mid 2000's on the other hand will have zero input lag, so the controls feels snappier, lighter and 'on the dime'(Where as that QD-OLED will have 10ms of lag at best)...Yet the biggest single benefit is that incredible CRT motion clarity, that no QD-OLED can come close to matching. CRT's do not have any motion blur compared to the modern displays these days such as OLED. Heck, LED's fair even worse. Still, it's cool that we have options, and I'm on board for the retro way and the modern way.

Both have their advantages and disadvantages in the end. Going full on authentic with real hardware, software and a CRT tickles the nostalgia heart strings to the max, but it's also refreshing and feels new and 'in the now' being able to experience them with 2.4g wireless 8BitDo controllers, on HD Clone hardware on QD-OLED. Which reminds me, I need to seriously preorder the Analogue Do before they're gonzo and wind up being triple the price on eBay.

And I ditched Nintendo Switch's NSO service. Aside from the obvious input lag/delay which is to be expected from emulation combined with my OLED TV's input lag, plus the OLED's motion blur was really pissing me off, and the NES emulation was just awful due to the colours looking extremely dessaturated and dark compared to the real thing. Nintendo didn't get it right with SNES NSO either. Colours look less vibrant and rich compared to the actual carts, but not nearly as horrific as NES NSO. As for N64 NSO, there's no CRT filters to be found. So we're left playing N64 games with razor sharp graphics, which may be a good thing or a bad thing depending on your tastes. The latency was obvious, motion blur was annoying, plus N64 graphics just don't hold up really either, especially without a CRT filter. I'm not entirely sure if first wave Saturn, PS1 & N64 polygons benefit by HD resolution.

Oh! and speaking of the N64. Analogue just announced that it's working on an Analogue N64 console that will be released later this year. It's support 4K, HDMI 2.1 too and is compatible with NA, JPN & EUR N64 carts. Hopefully they can get the CRT filter and scan line effects looking up to snuff before release! Crossing my fingers for a Dreamcast NT, that allows you to play Dreamcast, JPN Dreamcast, Saturn & JPN Saturn games as well. I mean, it's bound to happen. Same deal with PS1, Gamecube & even Wii. WiiCube NT pwetty pwease, with Shy Guys on top? Lol

Edited on by NeonPizza

NeonPizza

Tasuki

@WaveBoy I am rocking this TV

https://www.amazon.com/TCL-55Q750G-Accelerator-Streaming-Tele...

A 55 in my bedroom and 70 in the front room. I have the Super NT in the bedroom along with an Xbox Series S and my Switch and the front room has my PS4, Xbox Series X for now. I want to get a dock for my Switch so I can go back and forth between the bedroom and living room. I haven't decided where I am going to hook up the Mega Sg.

As for the N64 Analogue I am going to pass on it, except for a few games I wasn't a fan of the N64. Most of the games like GoldenEye, OoT, and such I can play elsewhere. Back then I was all about the Playstation.

My Backlog

Bobbyvongrimm

I just purchased a nice copy of Popeye NES I missed it the first time around. Nice copy $25 can't complain.

Bobbyvongrimm

Zuljaras

I caved in and ordered Resident Evil 2 for the N64. I have never finished the original Resident Evil 2 and Resident Evil 3 so it will be fun!

It is a shame that they never ported RE2 and RE3 on the DS like they did with RE1

XandertheWise

next month i just might buy some old NES games.

XandertheWise

NeonPizza

@Tasuki
oOoOo, a 70"-incher. Nice! I still have my 64.5" LG C1 from a few years back. It's an OK TV at best. Colours(Which you have to get creative with even if the end result isn't accurate) are very disappointing compared to Quantum Dot-OLED, and QD-LED, it also has shadow detail crushing out of the box(which needs to be calibrated for the best possible picture) and it's MotionPro(Black frame insertion) setting which reduces 50-60% of OLED motion blur is useless since it reduces too much brightness. I mean, the C1's game mode can't afford to lose any brightness as it is, since it's already on the dim side compared to the regular picture modes, unless you nearly max out the contrast, but then you gradually start washing out colours. Yea, i totally need to upgrade already.

I'm just so bummed and disappointed with how poor the motion is on modern displays, even OLED which technically has the fastest motion response time of any current TV technology, yet the motion winds up getting battered due to the fact that it's still sample and hold. Motion blur is the name of the game these days, which fortunately never never existed on CRT TV's from 80's, 90's and early to mid 2000's before they bit the bullet. The motion clarity on CRT was and still is incredible, and spanks the most expensive TV's on the market.

The best you can do with current LG OLED & Samsung QD-OLED TVs is by using black frame insertion, called 'OLED Motion' for the LG C3 & G3, or 'MotionClear' for the Samsung S90C & S95C. Both of which cut down 50% of OLED motion blur, while doubling the motion clarity. It does wonders. But you wind up losing brightness, increasing input lag, and it adds a bit of a flickery' effect, which can be noticeable at times whenever white is on the screen. In the end, it makes a pretty substantial difference to my eyes, but that's still 50% more blur than a blur free CRT.

I'm content with how it looks for nearly every genre other than anything in first or 3rd person.
As for N64, ya man....It was always second fiddle next to the PS1. Great party machine, with Golden Eye taking the cake. Mario 64 was mind blowing at launch, Wave Race's 'Waves' looked spectacular and there were a handful of heavy hitters, but it was severely lacking in terms of 2D pixel art games, the horror genre and so much much. It lacked the variety and Quantity of quality titles from PS1. The N64 remains at the bottom for Nintendo consoles for me personally. It's nostalgic and i had fun with it here and there, but overall it was a huge step down coming from the SNES.

But back to CRT's and OLED's(and blah blah). I still prefer playing 8-16 bit games on a 27" Sony Trinitron CRT(Using an AV connection) Vs those analogue NT consoles, which are brilliant don't get me wrong. it's just the modern TV tech that I kind of take issue, strictly in terms of motion and latency. Both CRT plus the original consoles & QD-OLED with those Analogue Nt consoles methods both have their pro's and cons obviously. But long term, we'll need the Nt's + future 4K HDTV's since CRT's are aging hard, and their brightness levels, colours and blacks will not be as good as they were fresh out of the box when they were new. I guess it's all dependent on how many hours have been thrown into them and possibly just aging in general?

Also, i just got that M30 8BitDo Wireless 2.4g genesis controller in the mail. All I can say is, disappointed. The D-pad feels a little on the mushier side, and it's Right D-pad arrow is extra mushy(maybe it's a lemon) and the 6 face buttons don't feel clicky enough. Not really a fan of how it looks either. Retrobit's 6 button wireless clone controller feels far more premium, tactile and clicky. I'll just stick with that for now until either company unleashes something better, or more akin to the 3 button 'red lettered' Genesis OG 89' pad.

Edited on by NeonPizza

NeonPizza

Tasuki

@WaveBoy Yeah as nice as a CRT will be, I don't have the time or energy to track one down, then hope it works let alone make room for it in my place. As awesome as it would be a CRT is a thing of the past for me.

But yeah I got the 70 inch and 55 during Black Friday. I played mostly Switch and Xbox games on them but I do mange a game or two of Ken Griffey Jr Presents Major League Baseball on the Super NT and it looks good. I want to try something like Final Fantasy 3 or Chrono Trigger on it but to be honest I don't have the time for games like that anymore.

My Backlog

NeonPizza

@Tasuki

Uh oh, here comes another stupidly long post.
Ya it's crazy. Good CRT's are becoming harder to find on Market place and Craigs List these days. A few or so years ago, it was so easy to find those Silver 27" 2005-ish Sony WEGA Trinitrons, but I've had no luck as of late. Nerds are probably scooping them up and selling them for like 5x the price and labelling them as "Premium Retro gamer TV" lol

And the reality is, with CRT's, the picture quality in regards to brightness, colours and black levels all gradually fade over time and will not be as good compared to when they were fresh out of the box. It's all to do with how many hours have been poured into them, and just aging in general I guess. But damn, that motion is amazing and they're flawless when it comes to latency, cheap as heck and have that legit authentic retro aesthetic, if you get one from the 90's or 80's at least.

A QD-OLED with quality Black frame insertion to cut down 50% of motion blur, while doubling the motion clarity, with low latency while offering a bright enough picture is what I'm after, and should be an awesome solution. But low latency QD-OLED BFI just doesn't exist right now, unless that 32" G8 Sammy QD-OLED monitor i mentioned in one of my previous posts does the trick, or with Samsung or Sony's upcoming QD-OLED 2024 TV's.

I just don't want to use the Analogue consoles on larger 4K TV's. 32" - 42" is what I'm after. But ya, 42" QD-OLED's don't exist just yet though! It's 32" and then 55 - 77"...42" would be a great size for like Dreamcast, Gamecube, Wii, PS2 & XBOX if they ever get the Analogue 4K treatment.

And i'll most likely pick up the N64 nt, or whatever they plan on calling it. Would of been killer if it pushed every N64 game into 60fps instead of the typical 30fps and below. We need an analogue Saturn & Dreamcast Nt stat! I wouldn't be surprised if they announced a Saturn 4K clone console next year, followed up with a the Dreamcast version in 2026.

BTW, how are the CRT filters and scan lines on the Super Nt & Mega Sg? I've always found it annoying that when you select scan lines in a lot of these retro game emulation based compilations, that it darkens the image with each click forward. I'd rather just use a CRT filter to soften the picture anyways.

And even when I do have the time, i still don't want to play RPG's. lol I've just never really enjoyed nor had the patience for the grindage'(Woah, just did a Pauly Shore!) and turn based combat. I made it 3-4 hours into chronno trigger on the DS and dropped out, same thing happened with Final Fantasy VII & VIII. Although...I Loved watching my best friend play FFII on SNES though. That game was just magical back in the day. The Soundtrack, battle theme, SFX. Just takes me back!

Edited on by NeonPizza

NeonPizza

HammerGalladeBro

Throwing my hat into the CRT discussion, what's the ideal size for a CRT?

I have a 32" Panasonic Samsung TV from 2003 in another room but I feel it might be a little too big for my current room considering how much my collection has grown and it's too heavy to move around. I want a smaller one for retro gaming, VHS and DVD players.

I'm not even sure if it still works, last time I turned it on was in 2012 I believe, when I got an HDTV and haven't plugged it in since.

Here in my area, people seem to sell them for decent prices (no more than 500 Mexican pesos, or $25), but they're as big and heavy as the one I already have.

Edited on by HammerGalladeBro

Rusty's Real Deal Baseball is now a hidden gem of the Nintendo 3DS.

Switch Friend Code: SW-0197-9566-9983 | 3DS Friend Code: 2251-9732-5870 | My Nintendo: AlexHGB | Nintendo Network ID: AHammerGalladeB

Tasuki

@WaveBoy Even my local thrift stores and Goodwills won't accept CRTs anymore, which is a major bummer. 5 years ago you can find them all the time there. I know what you mean too about like Craigslist. Whats sad is we are getting to the point now where the young adults now didn't even have a CRT TV growing up!!!

As for scan lines to be honest I never tried them. I have tried scan lines on other things like the TMNT Collection and a few other games and just hated it as you said it made stuff too dark. That's probably why I didn't even bother with it on my Super NT or Mega Sg.

Did you get the Analogue Pocket? Or are you even interested in it. For me it's cool but I have never been a big portable gamer. Even when I was a kid the most use my Gameboy would get is maybe a week or two during the Summer when my family and I were on vacation, either that or an hour or so a week at Grandma's house. Still I did have most the classics like Marioland 1 and 2, Donkey Kong and later on Pokémon. But yeah never much of a portable gamer.

My Backlog

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic