Forums

Topic: Your latest retro purchase

Posts 4,801 to 4,820 of 4,850

rallydefault

Super Mario Land for Gameboy. One of my favorite games of all time, and you can beat it consistently within half an hour or so. I've already played through it three times lol

I know it's simple and short, but sometimes that's just what a gamer needs!

rallydefault

Tendo64

Timesplitters 2 and F-Zero GX on Gamecube.

Have been doing a fair bit of Gamecube buying in the past year or so.

Switch Friend Code: SW-7976-6692-0199

ogo79

been a long time since i posted in here...

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

Fizza

Just picked up the funny demon game 😈
Untitled

Edited on by Fizza

Currently MIA for exams; see you all in a bit! o7
Mario Maker 2 Maker ID: YT1-0Q2-YFF
Please ask for permission before using my FC!
Currently Playing: Vampire Survivors (Switch)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3505-5480-3330 | Twitter:

Jhena

Holy Magic Century (Quest 64) for the Nintendo 64. This game feels so holy and innocent I have to try it.

Jhena

Switch Friend Code: SW-2361-9475-8611 | Nintendo Network ID: Traumwanderer

AdamL

Picked up Sonic and the Secret Rings at a thrift shop today for 3 bucks. Not too bad.

Also found a PS1 game called Perfect Weapon at a local comics/games/toys shop for $5. I'd never heard of it before but apparently it's a 3D action-adventure beat-em-up with pre-rendered backgrounds and tank controls. Looks absolutely terrible - proud to add it to my collection!

AdamL

Twitter:

Megas75

Made the dumbest financial decision I made in a long time and rebought a Wii U. For modding purposes, though I still bought a few games with it

• The two big ones, Xenoblade X and Windwaker HD while they're still within my price range, though I get the feeling I'm going to regret the latter given it's still rumored to appear on the Switch at some point(and honestly I sorta believe it)
  • Obviously some Wii games, namely Smash Bros Brawl and Tatsunoko Vs Capcom, my two favorite titles when I still had it. Brawl I bought mostly for Project M mods, and for it's problems I still have a fun time with it, and I still want to give SSE another go. And TvC is just awesome, I still remember being incredibly hyped for it, especially when they announced MMX's Zero would be in it, somehow being the first time this version of him* ever appeared in a fighter
  • And lastly....Star Fox Zero. Now I bought this game at launch and I desperately wanted to like it, but in the end I just hated it. But it's been 7-8 years since then and I've been going on a Star Fox binge as of late, since it's one of the few Wii U games that's still very cheap(seriously you can get the full package for $20), I decided to give the game a second chance, because, again, I love this series, I wanna see it do well, and a part of me still wants to like this game
    And, uh, right now it's not going so well

*I'm well aware of his appearance in SvC Chaos, but we don't talk about SvC Chaos

Edited on by Megas75

Steam/NNID/Xbox Gamertag - Megas75

AnVold

Your latest retro purchase is La Pucelle: Tactics for PS2
Untitled

for Nintendo it was Sonic Adventure 2 Battle for Gamecube
Untitled

Edited on by AnVold

GOIDA!
I hear ZOV.

Switch Friend Code: SW-1060-2447-4147 | 3DS Friend Code: 1092-0244-9690

XandertheWise

Earlier today i went to the bin novelty store at the mini mall and bought a Deikal "Retro" Handhel gaming system thats basically a chinese handheld copycat of the NES Mini Classic

the Deikal handheld ha "400" games including stuff like Dr Mario, Goonies 1, Tetris, Super Mario Bros 3, Ninja Gaiden 1, Burger Time, Gradius, Lifeforce, Golf and others. I kind of like it since it has Super Mario Bros 3 and i think the chinese retro consoles dont have Super Mario Bros 3 last time i played a month ago or so.

the Deikal handheld I like since its navy blue colored and in the shape of a Gameboy

XandertheWise

Fizza

Went for a sleuth around a lot of Dublin's retro game stores in the hunt for something for my Wii/PS3 and came back with an absolutely insane list of pickups!
Untitled
I'll be posting my thoughts on the three PS3 games over on Push Sqaure but as for the two Wii games I grabbed:

• Donkey Kong Country Returns: Ever since the rumours of new Donkey Kong game started swirling many months ago, I've been slowly working my way through the DKC series so that I'd be prepared if it were to get announced (plus it gave me an excuse to finally try and complete one of my favourite series of platformers so that also helped) and, ever since I finally beat DKC3 back in June, I've been keeping a close eye on Returns until the time was right to swoop in and pick it up. Thankfully, it was one of the games available at the shops I visited and I was able to grab it for a handy €18.
  • Super Paper Mario: I played the original Paper Mario for the first time near the end of 2021 when it dropped on NSO and it's never really left my mind since. I loved the characters, the world, the gameplay, it all felt like such a cosy RPG and it's made me want to try out every other entry in the series as a result (regardless of how closely they adhere to the RPG structure of the first two games). Super was a high priority for me because of this as I remember getting absolutely obsessed with the characters/story of it as a kid when watching videos on it (Count Bleck & Tippi my beloved) and always wanted to properly experience it someday which I'm now finally able to do....once I actually beat the original PM (I'M A FAKE FAN I KNOW).

So yeah: a stellar lineup of games that I cannot wait to play for the first time after getting through some of my other backlog

Edited on by Fizza

Anti-Matter

Guys...
I got Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door since last Wednesday. πŸ˜„
Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Anti-Matter

Fizza

@Anti-Matter HOLY MOLY I'M SO JEALOUS
Untitled
Incredibly happy for you man, hope you have a great time with one of the best RPGs ever made!

Also do you mind me asking how much it cost you? TTYD has become rather infamous over the past 5 or so years for being insanely expensive these days.

Edited on by Fizza

Anti-Matter

@Fizza
Oh, I bought Paper Mario TTYD from my local online shopping website Tokopedia.
There was a seller in my country Indonesia who have Paper Mario TTYD on sale with other games.
I bought Paper Mario TTYD for Rp 1,500,000 or around US$ 99, the cheapest price option from my country.
It still very expensive purchase for me as I have ever did the same thing from EBay such as Pokemon Black 2 NDS with price Rp 1,500,000 and Earthlock Switch with price Rp 1,250,000.
The other case I bought from Tokopedia such as Star Fox Adventures for Rp 1,200,000 and Bomberman Generation for Rp 1,000,000.
Use converter from IDR (Indonesia Rupiah) to USD if you want to see the conversion.

Man...
Some of my GameCube games bought by tears and tons of money.

Edited on by Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

Fizza

@Anti-Matter Considering I've seen TTYD go for as much as $250 in some cases, I think you got an absolute bargain by comparison

Also yeah; trying to get Gamecube games these days is rough. Been thinking about getting the original Luigi's Mansion for a while and the 'cheapest' listing is €55 😬

Fizza

I can't quite believe I'm about to say this (especially given the thoughts I had towards this series as a whole less than a year ago at this point) but I just picked up the Metroid Prime Trilogy for Wii!
Untitled
(I imagine one @StarPoint will be extremely happy to hear this XD)

If you know me, you'd be well aware that I was very, very, VERY lukewarm towards Metroid for the longest while, having a pretty miserable time with both the original and Super for the most part and casting aside the series as a result as something that just was not for me. However, that mindset changed dramatically thanks to the efforts of one title in particular: Metroid Fusion. Playing Fusion for the first time earlier this year was an eye-opening experience that turned Metroid from a series I couldn't care less about to one that I wanted to play every single entry in.

Fusion being as good as it is has really made me re-examine almost every game in the entire series, chief among them being, of course, the Prime trilogy. I had always heard extremely positive things about the subseries from an onlookers perspective but never really bit the bullet on grabbing them for one reason or another, with the main one being the damn price tag it usually carries nowadays (almost every single listing of it was in the €130+ mark and I was not about to pay THAT much for a Wii game).

I then spotted it for about €58 on CeX and the rest is history XD

Not going to be tackling it the moment I get it (I still have stuff like Mega Man, Ace Attorney and 2D Metroid to take care of beforehand) but I am so damn excited to finally see what all the buzz is about after ignoring the series for the better part of 2 decades. I just hope it doesn't pull a Mario Galaxy 2 and not work on my Wii XD

StarPoint

@Fizza Heyyy let's go! I'm glad that Fusion changed your mind on the series so much. I'll admit that Metroid 1 and Super have some outdated parts to them. But since Fusion and Prime 1 were released on the same day, there are a lot of design philosophies between each game that have aged really well up to today.

Also, that is a fantastic price for the trilogy. I don't wanna admit how much mine cost considering I bought it during the pandemic Still don't regret my purchase, though. Prime 1 and 2 are two of my favorite games ever, and 3 is really close behind. I hope once you get around to them you have a good time! You'll have to keep me updated on your status with them.

Edited on by StarPoint

"Science compels us to explode the sun!"

Currently playing:

Persona 5 Royal (PC)
Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy (PC)

HammerGalladeBro

@Fizza that's a nice finding. Really hope it's in the best possible conditions.

I got mine in 2010 back when they were sold for 600 Mexican Pesos brand new. A price that's more than perfect for its content, especially now that people want more than 2000 pesos for a copy.
Just before the Wii U eShop closed, I also got the digital version that was available on it.

I hope you get to enjoy the trilogy.

The only games that may be polarizing if you intend to play the series are Other M and Federation Force. I'm gonna write about the former on a spoiler to avoid the risk of a meltdown.

The story, the characterization of Samus and her design are the biggest area of criticism I've seen. According to people online, "Samus is now a submissive woman following the orders of a man" and displays emotions when something happens, particularly when Adam sacrifices himself in Sector Zero and during the encounter with Ridley in the Pyrosphere, where she's shocked and paralyzed to see him.

Yes, I put that part in quotation marks because I think it's more of a military thing more than anything. Remember that Samus is not part of the Galactic Federation but joins them on their mission, that and for the respect she has for Adam she follows her orders. Otherwise I believe she would've been like "Piss off" and leave the Bottleship.

I agree it could have been conveyed in a better way, but I actually appreciate the intentions. We always see Samus as a cold badass space warrior that we can forget about the woman underneath the armor and that she also has a human side that may have not had a chance to mourn her losses, something I didn't realize I wanted to see in the games until I replayed Other M last year, as boring or uninteresting as it may be.
The first time I played Other M was on launch week, back in 2010, when I rented it. I finally got the digital version from the Wii U eShop last year, and a few months later a complete physical copy. I mention this to give you the time context of my experience with the game.

About the high heels, yes they're not the best for the situations Samus (with or without Power Suit) deals with, but if she can still get the job done wearing them and kick some ass, as proven by Smash Bros., then I see no problem. Though I believe they go against the instructions given during the creation of Zero Suit Samus in Zero Mission, which stated the heels should not be high.
Her sexualization is probably more a Tecmo thing than it is a Sakamoto/Nintendo thing.

The controls and the locked first-person sections are the real problem from a gameplay perspective.

TL:DR I played it for real recently and I don't think it deserves all the backlash it has. In fact, my opinion back in 2010 was mostly the same as it is now.

I still enjoyed it despite its flaws. Yes, for real. I'm not trying to convince anyone to play it or to think its a good game, I just wanted to share my experience and opinion of it and as a bit of a "proceed with caution" disclaimer if you intend to play it.

Maybe one day I can also have an opinion on Metroid Prime: Federation Force and Metroid: Samus Returns, both for the 3DS.

Sorry if my post was longer than intended.

Edited on by HammerGalladeBro

Rusty's Real Deal Baseball is now a hidden gem of the Nintendo 3DS.

Switch Friend Code: SW-0197-9566-9983 | 3DS Friend Code: 2251-9732-5870 | My Nintendo: AlexHGB | Nintendo Network ID: AHammerGalladeB

Anti-Matter

Yo, I bought these games.
1. 30 Great Games Wii U
2. Crash Tag Team Racing PS2
Untitled

Here is one thing.
Peoples and Metacritic said 30 Great Games Wii U was the worst Wii U game ever.
But, I found the contrary.
So far my first gameplay of 30 Great Games Wii U was fairly easy, only one mini game so far I considered rubbish due to rubbish output result.
If I can finish all the Areas, I don't think this game is the worst ever.

Anti-Matter

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic