Forums

Topic: Your latest retro purchase

Posts 4,781 to 4,800 of 4,975

the_shpydar

@Tasuki
Very cool, i was looking into that recently (or at least i think it was that one — there's a few SNES HD clones that have been coming out recently). Let us know how it is!

Also ...
cacodemon!

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong.
Urban Champion is GLORIOUS.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5973-1398-6394 | 3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | My Nintendo: theShpydar | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

Tasuki

@the_shpydar So I tested the Gamerz Tech 16 Bit HD console tonight (let's be honest was there any doubt that I wouldn't?) and I will say I am very impressed with it. I ran Super Mario All Stars on it going through world 1 of Super Mario 3. The colors looked great, bright and vivid of course because it was outputting HD the blurness wasn't there that you would get from AV cables. Decide to try a few rounds of Killer Instinct and again everything look great. Last but not least I tried my repro of Secret of Mana II and that worked fine as well.

As sound goes it was a bit on the loud side but that's fine I just turn the volume down on the tv.

Any questions let me know but for $49.99 I think that's what my son said it costed, it's worth it IMO. Can't wait to fire up some TMNT IV on it later on.

Push Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

Gamecubed

Found Link's Awakening DX for GBC complete in box for $15 at Value Village. Also recently ordered a bootleg 150-in-1 NES games cart for GBA. Got it for $40. Works really well, has all the classics on it, as well as some translated famicom games.

Gamecubed

Yosheel

I almost bought Final Fantasy V for the GBA... It went kinda like this...

"How much for that one?"
'(a lot of pesos)'
"Ok I'll buy i-"
'You can test it if you want!'
"-oook"

(Tested it)

"It's got a corrupted file."
'Oh, we have this other one too'

(It's tactics advance, but without a label)

'It doesn't have the sticker, but this one IS original'

"Oops I gotta go, thx bye"

Edited on by Yosheel

Yeah I don’t know either.

Eh! My gameplay videos

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1330-0080 | My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

ogo79

@Tasuki
you have a nice thumb
i like thumbs.
i just downloaded that doom classic complete today on ps3

Edited on by ogo79

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

Yarsrevenge

Not a purchase but was going through boxes in my garage about a month ago discovered a forgotten CD and N64 collection, best part...
I found Clayfighter sculptor's edition in box, nearly mint dated from blockbuster 10/28/98 on a price tag!! That thing hasn't seen the light of day in atleast 15 years.

the proud discoverer in my garage of a 20 year old copy of Clay Fighter Sculptor's edition, in a pristine box.

KingMike

Do you have the thousand dollar manual with it too? o_O

KingMike

ogo79

@KingMike
lol

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

KingMike

Crazy but the Sculpter's Cut probably is one of the most expensive game manuals around, aside from maybe Stadium Events and Air Raid 2600.
At least one of the rarest for an even semi-widely available game. (I'd probably guess that if it was a Blockbuster-exclusive game, they probably made like 10k-15k copies to cover the 3,000 or so stores.)

KingMike

Fiyaball

KingMike wrote:

Crazy but the Sculpter's Cut probably is one of the most expensive game manuals around, aside from maybe Stadium Events and Air Raid 2600.
At least one of the rarest for an even semi-widely available game. (I'd probably guess that if it was a Blockbuster-exclusive game, they probably made like 10k-15k copies to cover the 3,000 or so stores.)

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a warehouse with at least a couple hundred sealed copies of Sculptor's Cut lying around; the game's a LOT less rare than people make it out to be.

Fiyaball

ogo79

Fiyaball wrote:

KingMike wrote:

or some jerk on here that has a

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a warehouse with at least a couple hundred sealed copies of Sculptor's Cut lying around; the game's a LOT less rare than people make it out to be.

...or some jerk on here that has a warehouse full of air raid 2600 carts...
im not really a jerk
wait

the_shpydar wrote:

Yarsrevenge

@KingMike, Yeah I have the manual, box and cart. Box and cart NM condition, the manual has some wear. I'd say fair-good condition.
I purchased a thick acrylic case for it and now it's on a shelf I look at a few times a day and shake my head.

the proud discoverer in my garage of a 20 year old copy of Clay Fighter Sculptor's edition, in a pristine box.

FX102A

@Meowpheel Unfortunately GBA has a massive counterfeit cart issue. I learnt a few things during a con last year and learnt how to identify them. Went back through my collection and found three (one using a "Nintemdon" cart).

At that same con i found a place with tonnes of carts loads of which were Final Fantasies, Fire Emblems, Tales of Phantasia and even a freakin Ninja Cop!

Do kinda wish I'd bought that last one if even just to play it.

FX102A

SM4SHshorts

Since purchasing physical copies of Pokémon Gold and Silver on the 3DS, I decided to purchase the boxes of the original games on Game Boy Color from an eBay seller to compliment them (I have the carts but got rid of the boxes when I was younger, silly enough of me).

Follow @SM4SHshorts on Instagram – the Super Smash Bros. 4 community channel for fun and original replay edits and general content. Send your clips to [email protected] for a chance to have them edited and featured!

Nintendo Network ID: SM4SHshorts | Twitter:

KingMike

A bootleg Ninja Cop doesn't sound that surprising, that is certainly one of the most demanded "rare games".
Now if it was a bootleg of the many license shovelware games for GBA (I don't know, Sabrina the Teenage Witch a random enough example), that would more (but not completely) surprising.
I mean, I bought a bootleg of that Wizard of Oz RPG for the DS (and then bought a real one after I got it and noticed it was fake). Seriously, the pirates will counterfeit ANYTHING.

KingMike

Yosheel

I once bought a bootleg Pokemon Leaf Green by mistake. It looked very real. I still played it and I could trade and stuff, but still it left a sour taste. Specially considering it was expensive.

That Final Fantasy 5 looked super official though, I couldn't see any of the obvious signs. If it wasn't because the dude slipped, I would've bought it.

Edited on by Yosheel

Eh! My gameplay videos

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1330-0080 | My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

KingMike

Did the Pokemon Leaf Green still save? That's one odd thing is that the game can even tell when the save memory is missing (the start screen has a message about "the 1M circuit") and yet still allows the game to play.

Well, I ordered a Konami Krazy Racers cart. Just looking at the box art, I love how it entices me with "my favorite Konami characters" such as "Ninja". I'm not sure who "Ninja" is but I was sold on his inclusion.
(actually watched a video of the Japanese version. I'll assume the "waiwai" singing on the menu is removed in the localization.)

I remember the bootleg Ruby I bought but returned for a real one. The label art had all the right signs in all the wrong places. How can the pirates mess that up? (though it was the lack of "Nintendo" logo as well as the wrong AGB code on the back of the cart that tipped me off, and lack of Nintendo logo on the GBA boot screen)

KingMike

Yosheel

It seems to do some fancy trickery to save the game.

A message that says "Loading the last save file" or something like that appears before the "continue, new game, options" menu, and when you save it kind of holds up for a second, no music or anything, and then it saves.

The game can't interact with non-gba pokemon games, like Colosseum. It literally shows a message that says something to the effect of "something's wrong with this game, the file will be destroyed", but I can just turn it off and the file remains there like nothing happens.

When trading with other GBA games, Leaf Green "pretends" it's saving like the real games do (it acts normally, no hold ups or anything) in between trades, but if you were to do a trade and quit without saving afterwards, the game actually loads the last save from before the trade. (so if I don't save after a trade, I'll lose the pokemon I traded in).

I can only assume the rom was modified to load and save with a special proccess, kinda like it keeps a separate save state, and skips it during trades to keep the connection stable. And since the save file is in a different place, the other games can't really destroy it.

It's completely normal in every other aspect.

Edited on by Yosheel

Eh! My gameplay videos

Gamecubed

Found an official Gameboy multi tap sealed in the box at a local indoor flea market for $10. Just a little display piece for me.

Gamecubed

Tasuki

Picked up a few things at the Sac Gamer Expo today. Super Off Road for $5 and Indiana Jones Greatest Adventures for $15 both on the SNES and two Genesis six button controllers for $20 for the pair.

Push Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic