Forums

Topic: Your latest retro purchase

Posts 4,101 to 4,120 of 4,839

the_shpydar

@Tasuki Yeah, i too am loving the AVS. At first i wasn't so sure about getting it, and after i ordered it i had a little bit of buyer's remorse just in the sense that i realized i dropped $200 on a system when i have plenty of other ways to play NES games (not to mention the fact that i still have never bought a WiiU).

My original NES (as in, the NES i have owned since 1987) works but i retired it, and my second/back-up NES was having some issues, and the slight sound/color issues that both the Retron1 and Retron3 have with some games was bothering me too much — it was when i wanted to play through Jackal yet again when the R1/R3 sound issues really bothered me, since i know that game so well and absolutely love it to the point that it was unpleasant to play. That got me to pull the trigger; and of course it was one of the first games i played when the AVS arrived.

For anyone who is on the fence, i highly recommend buying it. Picture quality is so good, it almost hurts. Sound is perfect. Having the built-in option to use Game Genie codes is very cool (and not only can you enter codes manually, but the system will recognize the game you've inserted and will pre-load some standard codes to choose from), and the control options like turning on turbo/auto-fire is a nice touch. And the delicious icing on the cake is the ability to play Fami carts as well; finally i have a reliable Famiclone so i can play my Famicom version of Urban Champion.

Yes, i actually own that (as well as the NES version) because as we all know, Urban Champion is the Greatest Game of All Time.

Seriously though, i can't recommend the AVS enough. It is a perfect system, and has even been encouraging me to play through a lot of my NES games that i wouldn't necessarily have been as anxious to play again any time soon.

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong.
Urban Champion is GLORIOUS.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5973-1398-6394 | 3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | My Nintendo: theShpydar | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

ogo79

the_shpydar wrote:

But such is the life of a super-sexy super hero.

i hope you mean the crimson sausage man cuz thats what i call a super hero
Untitled

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

Tasuki

@the_shpydar Yeah I know what you meant. Given the fact that I have a Retron 1 to play NES games, plus several versions of various ways to play most of my favorite NES games like through VC services, or compilation discs like Mega Man Anniversary Collection and heck even a "magical" Xbox with every single NES game on it I was hesitant to get the AVS. Then I saw it on display at PRGE and that sold me on it. Have you tried any homebrew or hacked carts on it yet?

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

Fiyaball

For christmas so far, I got Dynasty Warriors 3, Growlanser Generations, Bomber 64, and....
Micheal Jackson's Moonwalker. Oh yeah.

Fiyaball

the_shpydar

@Tasuki I actually hadn't tried out any unlicensed or homebrew/hack carts yet, but i just now tested my copies of Bible Adventures (unlicensed) and Simon's Redaction (hack/homebrew), and both worked perfectly. So buy a copy of Redaction already!

@Fiyaball Yes! Moonwalker! I've been looking for a boxed copy for a while. Every time one comes in to the retro shop, i've done the "eh, i'm getting enough today, i'll grab that next time i'm here", and then of course it will sell the next day.

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong.
Urban Champion is GLORIOUS.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5973-1398-6394 | 3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | My Nintendo: theShpydar | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

mute_banana

my NES last week which came with tecmo wrestling and chip n dale rescue rangers. Then yesterday at a local retro game shop I picked up Tom and jerry for 7 quid and joe and mac for 4 quid

mute_banana

ogo79

just got chaos legion for ps2
another manly hack n slash
Untitled

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

ogo79

also copped the bouncer for ps2
Untitled

the_shpydar wrote:

Tasuki

@ogo79 Ah The Bouncer, the first PS2 I ever played. Yep what manniler way to kick off a new gen then with a beaten up. Every time I read The Bouncer I hear that voice saying it just like on the title screen.

My Backlog

ogo79

the_shpydar wrote:

KingMike

Been awhile since I updated what I got.

A surprising amount of shooters. Tatsujin (Truxton) and Fire Mustang for Mega Drive (the latter is probably average, but the name is one I couldn't decide if it was great or terrible. What was funny to find out is that was an arcade port and that at some point MAME confused it with a bootleg version with Raiden music inserted for some reason.)
R-Type DX, Gradius Interstellar Assault and Aerostar for Game Boy. Not completely sure about Aerostar but why not. I assume it's not based on the '90s minivan but maybe Ford should've upgraded the minivan with machine guns as a great family safety feature. Nobody going to crash into you with those.

KingMike

ogo79

@KingMike
speaking of shooters what do you think of bio hazard battle and sqoon?
i like weird shooters like those and insector x for genesis, cho aniki, ai cho aniki and wings of wor.

the_shpydar wrote:

KingMike

@ogo79 I don't think I played Bio-Hazard Battle before. I had only first heard of it by its Japanese name, Crying. And I thought that was a strange name. Sqoon, I guess I didn't get. The NES version is becoming one of those pricey games I think and the Famicom is going up but no longer the $4 game it used to be. Guess I should've gotten it then (though I did get both LED and non-LED carts of Zippy Race. The former looks cooler, but I heard early prints of the former used EEPROM, so the latter should be a ROM cart, I think.)

You know, when there's fewer working Zippy Race Famicom carts left in the world...

I had also bought a loose Famicom Insector-X despite that I have a boxed Genesis copy. As I recall, the Genesis version looked a bit more "real" whereas the bright colors of the FC I think suit the game better.

Edited on by KingMike

KingMike

ogo79

KingMike wrote:

@ogo79 I don't think I played Bio-Hazard Battle before. I had only first heard of it by its Japanese name, Crying. And I thought that was a strange name. Sqoon, I guess I didn't get. The NES version is becoming one of those pricey games I think and the Famicom is going up but no longer the $4 game it used to be. Guess I should've gotten it then (though I did get both LED and non-LED carts of Zippy Race. The former looks cooler, but I heard early prints of the former used EEPROM, so the latter should be a ROM cart, I think.)

You know, when there's fewer working Zippy Race Famicom carts left in the world...

I had also bought a loose Famicom Insector-X despite that I have a boxed Genesis copy. As I recall, the Genesis version looked a bit more "real" whereas the bright colors of the FC I think suit the game better.

yes. bio hazard battle is called crying in japan. i think thats due to the environment of the game being polluted by aliens and vermin, thus the world cries. however i really think the game crying is a game based off real life gamers complaining all the time via the internet, thus the gamer cries
i remember you talking about those led famicom carts, i had thought sqoon was the only one for a while.
i think people tend to take more of a liking towards the genny version of insector x, especially over the arcade version which i should play one day on taito legends vol 2 for ps2

the_shpydar wrote:

ogo79

ah i also just got dragon view for snes, an rpg brawler/ beat em up that is super cool!
Untitled
Untitled
and also decided to nab insector x for genesis (this would pretty much sum up my collection of weird shooters)
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
really glad i got these 2 games...

Edited on by ogo79

the_shpydar wrote:

Grandpa_Pixel

New year, new(old) games to collect! I think my collection is over 300 retail games now. It's a small collection but I put in great and interesting games instead of padding it out with less than great games. This month I focused on completing my Basic Collection (games I absolutely need) and next month I start my Advanced Collection (games I do not need but are nice to have). I think this time last year I had less than 150 games. It has been one heck of a year and I have the Switch to look forward to as well

---Game Boy Advance---

F-Zero: GP Legend
Mario Kart: Super Circuit
Wario Land 4

---Gamecube---

F-Zero GX
Luigi's Mansion (*)
Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour
Pikmin
Donkey Konga (*)
Star Fox Adventures
Super Mario Sunshine (*)
Viewtiful Joe
Wave Race: Blue Storm (*)

---Nintendo DS---

Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis
Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Mini-Land Mayhem!
The Legendary Starfy (*)
New Super Mario Bros

(*) I have yet to receive in the post.

Grandpa_Pixel

Gamecubed

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Chaos Bleeds (Xbox)
Kim Possible: What's the Switch? (PS2)
Virtual Pool 64 (N64)
Jimmy Neutron: Attack of the Twonkies (Gamecube)
Mega Man Battle Network 3: White Version (GBA)
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (GBA)
Lord of the RIngs: The Two Towers (Gamecube)

Gamecubed

Tasuki

So I went to my local flea market today and scored pretty good.

Untitled

This was the best deal I got today $10 C.I.B it even came with the instruction booklet. Normally this goes for $35 - $50 online so, naturally I couldn't pass it up. If you never played this one it is the best home port of Paperboy around.

Untitled

Also picked up these as well.

Quake II for 2 dollars yeah the label is torn but it's Quake II. Heard good things about it so I figure I'd give it a shot.

Bill Lambeer's Combat Basketball this one is a guilty pleasure so for 50 cents why not.

A Dreamcast VMU. Needed one of these since my last on got filled. I got it for $5

That's it for now.

My Backlog

ogo79

@Tasuki
im sure you could always find a replacement sticker for quake 2 if you wanted to, no problem doing so

the_shpydar wrote:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic