Forums

Topic: Your latest retro purchase

Posts 4,081 to 4,100 of 4,850

KingMike

A bunch of loose GB games.
BurgerTime Deluxe, Revenge of the Gator, Pokemon Pinball, Qix, Quest for Camelot (few action-adventure games on GB. But it's licensed, and Titus so I won't expect much), and Bomberman Max Red Challenger.
Dare I ask how a Bomberman game needed the Pokemon treatment?

KingMike

KingMike

Izuna: Legend of the Unemployed Ninja for the DS.
Though I ordered a CIB EU copy from the UK. I assume it's essentially the same game, even though she apparently changed her employment status for the EU title. (to the generic sounding "Legend of the Ninja" )
(does "unemployed" mean something else in the UK? Like I can't remember if it is there or Australia where they called renting games "hiring" them)

That is, seemed a better deal compared to asking prices for the US release.

Edited on by KingMike

KingMike

Freek

Tiggers Honey Hunt, Hexen and Shadowgate: Trials of the four towers for N64.
All CIB, all Australian versions.
I now have 146 CIB N64 games.

Edited on by Freek

Freek

Nintendo Network ID: Freek001

DefHalan

Not really a purchase but recently acquired. My brother helped a friend move and they found three boxes full of retro gaming stuff. My brother got to take the stuff and knew I would be interested. I got the boxes last night and took a look, here is what was in the boxes.

2x Atari 2600 (could only get one to sorta work)
Atari Lynx (seems fully functional)
Sega Master System (Not sure if working. Powers on and TV flickered but nothing displayed, maybe we need a game or didn't have the Video plugged in correctly)
2x Sega Genesis (same issue as the Master System)
Sega Game Gear (works but display is messed up, have to hold it at a weird angle to see anything. Also broken Volume)
2x NES (they seem to turn on for a second then turn off and repeat. Not sure if they are dead or could be fixed or what)
SNES (completely busted)
Odyssey 2 (could not get it to power on)

I had not used most of those consoles before, so I hope I was hooking them up correctly. I wish I knew how to fix most of those, it would be great to play them. There were a bunch of Odyssey 2 games also, so huge bummer that didn't work. There were a bunch of accessories but barely any games. Most systems didn't have a single game. There was a Power Glove and 2x Zappers. Going to hold onto these just because lol

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

ogo79

@DefHalan
thats definitely a cool way to acquire retro game materials

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

KingMike

The NES are probably just dirty. Clean the pins on a game thoroughly and keep trying (the connector inside the consoles are probably dirty as well but if you try for awhile the dirt should eventually transfer to the cart and get clean that way.)
Could be the same with the SNES. No screen if a game is dirty. Does the power light at least come on?

Sega Master System: some consoles game with a game permanently stored inside the console. If the SMS can't detect a physical game, it should run the pre-loaded game. And the consoles that didn't have a permanent freebie should at least display a warning screen (after the Sega logo screen?).

Genesis: Those didn't have built-in games. So they are basically not functional without a game. Depending on the model, most consoles will do some kind of authentication check to see if a game was officially approved by Sega. So even with a game, the system could appear to fail to turn on if the game is dirty (and thus the approval test fails).

You did use the right power cords for each system? (ie some might be tempted to use the NES power cable because that might fit but ABSOLUTELY SHOULD NOT be used for anything but the NES. It will be sure to cause difficult/impossible to repair damage.)

Game Gear is known for having components go bad due to age. There are enthusiasts who can repair them but it requires electronic hardware modification expertise. Better to let them have a go at it.

KingMike

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred wrote:

I also have a repro of Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water (fan-translated into English) for the Genesis on the way, too. That was more of an impulse buy, since I'm a huge fan of both the series its based on, and the titular character (My third favorite female character, in fact, after Felicia from Darkstalkers and Ruri Hoshino from Martian Successor Nadesico).

Finally got this on Friday...yeah, it took almost 2 months. I doubt I'll buy from them again, but least I got my package.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Grandpa_Pixel

Bit of an embarrassing purchase. Not because of what it is but that it was my last purchase to complete my N64 collection. Goldeneye. It was meant to be Blast Corps but I managed to get that beforehand.

I also picked up Conker's Bad Fur Day
EDIT: Hardware wise I picked up 4 Game Boy Colors. Each of the standard colours

Edited on by Grandpa_Pixel

Grandpa_Pixel

Fiyaball

Grandpa_Pixel wrote:

Bit of an embarrassing purchase. Not because of what it is but that it was my last purchase to complete my N64 collection. Goldeneye. It was meant to be Blast Corps but I managed to get that beforehand.

Have fun with Conker. It's a wild and memorable ride.

Fiyaball

Pazuzu666

@the_shpydar hi. Can I ask as to how you acquired said item and how much paid exactly? Really after it myself.

Pazuzu666

the_shpydar

@Pazuzu666
To which item are you referring? I guess the Ultimate NES Guidebook (since it was the last thing i mentioned)? If so, you can order it from Pat's website (thepunkeffect.com). I believe he said on the last podcast that he is in the process of doing a new print run, so it might be a while before they ship out.

I paid $69.50 (USD), which included shipping. I see you're in the UK; i believe shipping costs are much higher for international shipping (since the book seriously weighs a lot). Keep in mind you can also buy a digital copy of the book, which is only about $30 (again, USD).

Hope that helps!

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong.
Urban Champion is GLORIOUS.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5973-1398-6394 | 3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | My Nintendo: theShpydar | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

Tasuki

@the_shpydar You are correct sir. He is pretty much out of his first printing (he said so on Twitter) but is taking orders for the second printing now.

The only copies he has left is his stock for conventions.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

Grandpa_Pixel

Fiyaball wrote:

Grandpa_Pixel wrote:

Is it shameful that I bought it just so I could have the Great Mighty Poo sing on my television?

Grandpa_Pixel

Fiyaball

Grandpa_Pixel wrote:

Fiyaball wrote:

Grandpa_Pixel wrote:

Is it shameful that I bought it just so I could have the Great Mighty Poo sing on my television?

No, that's the best part of the game to show off! I LOVE showing people it!

Fiyaball

MSL

bought a nintendo gamecube component cable today.

MSL

ogo79

i smell a spider coming in...

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

CanisWolfred

ogo79 wrote:

OH PLEASE NO!!! I'M ON THE TOILET, DAMNIT!!!

...oh wait, do you mean the Shpydar? Well...at least let me finish powdering my nose...

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

the_shpydar

ogo79 wrote:

Oh, you damn right!

It's been a while since my last post here, but i've been busy dealing with the resurrected Doc Ock. Damn bowl-cut havin', Elton John glasses wearin', lime green jump suit sportin' thorn in my side! But such is the life of a super-sexy super hero.

So without further ado, it's time for another installment of the ShpydarhaulTM! This is stuff i've grabbed over the past several weeks (and anyone who checks out my BL will realize just how long ago i got some of these )

Untitled
Pac-Man portable - A nifty little portable arcade cabinet style LCD game, similar to the old school tabletop arcade machines (though the display is closer to the old Pac-Man digital watches). In all honesty, it's just okay. But it's cheap, and i got it for even cheaper via Toys 'R Us Cyber-Monday deals. And it fulfills my need to have a stupid amount of versions of Pac-Man, which is one of my favorite games of all time.

Untitled
Indy 500, Star Ship, Street Racer, Surround (2600, CIB gatefold versions) - As some of you guys know, when the Atari 2600 (or more correctly, the Atari VCS) was first released in 1977, it launched with 9 games that were released in cool gatefold-style boxes. After getting these 4, i now have 8 of the 9. Unfortunately, i'll probably never complete the set, since the 9th game - Basic Math - is rare, and typically goes for as much as $300.

Untitled
King's Quest V w/manual (NES) - I am a big fan of the KQ series as a whole (and to any fans of KQ out there, definitely check out the recent episodic game; it's an immensely enjoyable love letter to the series). While this version of KQV is obviously gimped from the PC version (and KQV in general is often ranked towards the bottom of the series), it is still plenty of fun. It's a shame that there weren't, to my knowledge, any other console ports of KQ games besides this one and the port of the original game on the Sega Master System (which i also own).

Quake II (N64) - Like Doom64, this port of Quake II is actually different from the original PC version. I owned this years ago, but i think it got traded in sometime around when the Gamecube came out. High on my list of FPS games; i think it's cool how it's such a departure from the original Quake. Also, this game is inexorably connected with The Drew Carey Show. If you understood how and why, your brain would surely collapse upon itself as if staring into the face of Cthulhu itself. Trust me, i know the truth.

WCW Backstage Assault (N64) - By all reports, this game is horrible. Haven't played it yet, but when you consider the premise of the game is a wrestling game that does not involve actually wrestling in a ring and add in the fact that it's an EA release (who took over the WCW license after THQ/AKI, and basically made a mess of the gameplay) ... yeah, i'm not expecting too much. Basically got it for the hell of it, since it was only $1. Seriously.

WWF Betrayal (GBC) - Now, as a counterpoint, this is another wrestling game that doesn't involve a wrestling ring. But this is a short beat'em up game developed by WayForward, no less. It's very short (you can breeze through it in less than a half hour), but cool how you can play as 4 different characters (Stone Cold, The Rock, Undertaker and HHH).

And finally, my favorite recent purchase:

Untitled
Retro AVS - This is an absolutely amazing system. If any of you have one, you know what i mean. Throw in the fact that it has updateable firmware and built-in Game Genie support and you have some Serious Perfection. So serious that it's capitalized.

-

And that's it for now kids. Hope you all have a Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, get to air all of
your Festivus grievances and just generally have a great time celebrating whatever you celebrate.
With alcohol.

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong.
Urban Champion is GLORIOUS.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5973-1398-6394 | 3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | My Nintendo: theShpydar | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

MSL

finally got a light gun for my 3DO. demolition man is so much easier to play now!

MSL

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic