Forums

Topic: Your latest retro purchase

Posts 3,941 to 3,960 of 4,850

the_shpydar

@KingMike
Yeah, i believe Turok 3 is the game with the crazy-expensive variant. If i remember correctly (as you mention) the variant was only available if people contacted Acclaim directly, which explains why it's so rare (much like the exclusive Atari Club-only 2600 games).

Demon Sword does have the insanely high Legend of Kage-style jump, and you can blast through levels that way. But if you actually play through it killing enemies and such, you get power-ups, magic, etc which make the game much more fun (and easier). The shortness of the sword in the early levels can be rough (though since it's basically the same as the LoK sword, it didn't bother me), but since your sword grows after every other level, it's not really a problem.

I also have Dragon Power and having originally played it way back in the day knowing nothing about the original anime on which it was based, once i finally saw Dragonball episodes many many many years later, i kept thinking, "Hey, this has a lot of things in it like that weird NES game!"

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong.
Urban Champion is GLORIOUS.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5973-1398-6394 | 3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | My Nintendo: theShpydar | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

Fiyaball

the_shpydar wrote:

@KingMike
Yeah, i believe Turok 3 is the game with the crazy-expensive variant. If i remember correctly (as you mention) the variant was only available if people contacted Acclaim directly, which explains why it's so rare (much like the exclusive Atari Club-only 2600 games).

That's Turok Rage Wars. It fixed a bug where you couldn't complete the 2 player mode. You had to call them and then ask about the bug to know about the variant existing, iirc. It would be much, much rarer, but someone found a box in a warehouse with ~100 of them some years back.

Fiyaball

the_shpydar

@Fiyaball
Ahh, thank you. I couldn't remember if it was Turok 3 or Rage Wars (which i remember playing when it came out, but being thoroughly disappointed with since it wasn't a "real" 3rd game), but had thought it was 3, with the glitch having to do with the multiplayer mode. And now that you mention it, i do remember hearing about that batch of them being found (even though it will still usually go for around $100-$150, compared to like $10 or less for the original release).

The Shpydarloggery

Switch Friend Code: SW-5973-1398-6394 | 3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | My Nintendo: theShpydar | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

ogo79

@the_shpydar
oh im sure that et display will turn up soon. as soon as he sees it hes gonna give you a call i already know lol. i almost got demon sword a few years ago, yeah its like legend of kage with a mix of that movie hidden tiger crotch less pants or whatever its called type action. dragon power...did you get the famicom exclusive boxed version with actual real dragon power pills?
Untitled

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

KingMike

Fire Emblem: Fuuin no Tsurugi CIB.
When I realized it's the only FE game I don't have. (if a Japanese digital copy of Fates counts...)

KingMike

VanillaLake

My most precious retro console is SNES but I always wanted to have a Mega Drive as well. The most valuable console I have is a French RGB Nintendo 64. I also have a launch GameCube (with digital port) and a Game Boy Advance SP.

I really don't like the navigation bar of Nintendo Life continuously reappearing while browsing!!

3DS Friend Code: 2836-0258-0952 | Nintendo Network ID: NNID-Fer

MickeyOswald

My latest retro purchases were DK Land and G&W Gallery 2 for the Gameboy. I got them on the 18th of July 2016. Tomorrow, I will buy a Gameboy Pocket.

MickeyOswald

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred wrote:

Ordered The Legend of Oasis for the Sega Saturn today. Had to get it disc only, but someone had a replacement box + insert for $4, so I got that, too.

(Just a quick not since I forgot to mention it last month)
Aaaand I forgot that all my other Saturn games were in CD cases (either spares or Japanese thin cases), so that box doesn't actually go with the rest of my collection...at least it was only $4...I guess it could be a good decoration someday....

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

ErrantEmbers

I just rebought Secret of Mana on SNES. Yeah I used to have it but desperately needed money at the time and chose the most expensive item that I cared the least about. I love the game though, and I'm happy to finally have it again. Started playing the other night!

ErrantEmbers

the_shpydar

ShpydarhaulTM time once again!

Untitled

Deadly Towers (NES) - i mentioned Deadly Towers in my last post, and it was actually the reason i went back to the retro shop last weekend. I've already played through and beat it (using some helpful online maps), and i realized that if you actually know where to go and such, and once you've powered up a bit, the game is actually rather fun.

Strider (NES) - It seems that the NES version of Strider gets a lot of flack. Maybe deservedly so; all i know is that i remember renting this back in the day and having a blast. Haven't played it since then, so i am looking forward to revisiting it.

Doom 64 (N64) - The original Doom is one of my favorite games of all time. Because it is awesome and perfect. The 64 version (as some of you may know) isn't just a port, but rather a whole new game. I haven't played it since the original 64-days and have wanted to pick it up for a while. Since i've been on a little bit of an N64 kick lately, there's no time like the present.

NES Advantage - I still have my original Advantage, but lately it's been doing this weird thing where if i push the A button, it will be registered as if i pushed the Start button. I took it apart, cleaned it out, checked to see if there was anything visibly wrong, but it appeared fine. Still, the problem persisted, so it was time to get a new one - and this one is in virtually mint condition. I was talking to one of the guys at the shop about my Advantage problem, and apparently it's not uncommon — not the problem i'd been having specifically, but a weird problem where incorrect button presses or unpressed buttons get registered. Weird; i guess there must be some sort of minor glitch in the programming code or something.

And finally, of course:
ET (2600, CIB) - Another copy. Because reasons. Got a good price on it too; it's really a bit nuts how much the asking price for this game (even cart-only copies) has gone up over the past few years. People are trying to thwart my cornering of the market!

Not pictured (since it isn't quite retro), i also recently picked up Legend of Kage 2 for DS. I actually had owned it a while back, but had ended up trading it in; i was motivated to buy it again after getting on a Kage kick when playing and beating Demon Sword recently. It's a good game, tons of replay value and good action. But it feels less like an entry in the Kage series, and more like some sort of cousin to Shinobi. Not that that's a bad thing!

Anyways guys, 'till next time.
(c) Johnny Millennium

The Shpydarloggery

KingMike

@the_shpydar I've seen it happen where most of the controller buttons stopped responding, except A which functions as everything pushed at once.
The NES controller port reads the button in series (that is, every time it reads the controller port, it gets the status of a single button. A different button each time. So it's not too hard to imagine a bad connection getting it "stuck" on A (when it should be cycling after each read), and the game code interpreting that as every button pushed.)

KingMike

-SD-

Over the past month I've picked up Art of Fighting 3, Kabuki Klash and a reproduction of the unreleased Ghostlop for Neo AES. 12 Master System games and a MasterGear converter. 0, REmake, 2, Nemesis, 4 and Code Veronica X, along with another 20ish GameCube games. And finally a Gameboy Player, and Everdrives for the Gameboy and Game Gear.

SNK - The Future is Now

ErrantEmbers

Most recently re-purchased Secret of Evermore. Yeah I once owned it, figured I'd never finish it and sold it. Rebought it because I really want to finish it.

ErrantEmbers

ogo79

im gonna type my best steven tyler voice as hard as i can...
@the_shpydar
deadly toweeers...youll be playin for hourrrs!
Untitled

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

ogo79

went ahead and swooped up the dante neca figure
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
so thats pretty cool...ill set him next to alucard

the_shpydar wrote:

Tasuki

Just minor one today and with my local retro shop changing to what it is now (read my post in disappoinment of the day for more info) I feel that these post are going to be alot rarer for me now.

Anyway my latest purchase.

Untitled

Picked these up at the flea market today for $5 for the both of them.

Samurai Showdown is one of my favorite fighting games of all time and I have heard good things about the Genesis version even though I have the MVS cartridge I decided to get this one to check it out.

Quake — Mainly picked this one up for multiplayer night with the guys from work.

Also I won another game from an online auction and it's a game I have been looking for at a decent price for awhile now. So as soon as I get it, I will have pics of that to share.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

CanisWolfred

@Tasuki - Pretty sure Samurai Shodown's one of those where you have to press Start to use certain attacks. Hopefully it's kicks, and not weak attacks...

the_shpydar wrote:

ShpydarhaulTM time once again!

Deadly Towers (NES) - i mentioned Deadly Towers in my last post, and it was actually the reason i went back to the retro shop last weekend. I've already played through and beat it (using some helpful online maps), and i realized that if you actually know where to go and such, and once you've powered up a bit, the game is actually rather fun.

Coming from someone who apparently enjoys E.T. for the Atari 2600, I'm not sure how much stock I can put in that statement. Plus, I was under the impression that Deadly Tower's problems stemmed from the constant barrage of enemies that you can only barely fend off using your dinky sword that doesn't even have knockback. Obviously grinding + Gunning straight for your destination Dragon Quest-style would be helpful, but considering the game never actually gives you a break, I still can't see that ever being called a good game.

...Then again, you said "fun game", not good game. I can have fun with Sonic '06 with the right mindset (nevermind all the crappy RPGs I've put up with). Still, I think you'd like The Mysterious Murasame Castle if you haven't played it yet. It's similar in a lot of respects, but better in every possible way.

the_shpydar wrote:

Strider (NES) - It seems that the NES version of Strider gets a lot of flack. Maybe deservedly so; all i know is that i remember renting this back in the day and having a blast. Haven't played it since then, so i am looking forward to revisiting it.

That's one I've always wanted to play in spite of the things said about it. At the very least, I'm a sucker for slower-paced, exploration-focused platformers, especially from the early days of gaming, so I have to at least try it some day. Maybe the next time I'm at a certain retro game store, I'll pick it up. They never seem to run out of that particular game, and my Retron 5's save-states should potentially make the game less frustrating.

Unless Capcom finally gets off their butts and releases it on the Wii U VC. It's on the Wii VC already, for Pete's sakes, they may as well. Kinda figured that'd be the next logical step after Street Fighter 2010 and Mighty Final Fight...

the_shpydar wrote:

Doom 64 (N64) - The original Doom is one of my favorite games of all time. Because it is awesome and perfect. The 64 version (as some of you may know) isn't just a port, but rather a whole new game. I haven't played it since the original 64-days and have wanted to pick it up for a while. Since i've been on a little bit of an N64 kick lately, there's no time like the present.

Heh, having just recently replayed the first DOOM game on "hurt me plenty" back in May, I don't think I could possibly disagree with that assertion. I've also been playing a lot of DOOM II mods thanks to a revamp engine I stumbled upon. I remember having a ton of fun playing Quake III: Team Arena mods back in High School, so I figured "why not?" Been a good experience, too. Then again, I've never played more than the first 2 levels of vanilla DOOM II...mostly because I keep forgetting there's a save option in these games. My first experience with the DOOM franchise (excluding the demo of DOOM 3 I played in 2007, where I shut the game down about 5 seconds after enemies showed up) was DOOM 64 on the N64, which required a memory card. I know I had one as a kid, but we lost it in my brother's room at our old house, possibly during the move...so the game very quickly became an arcade experience of seeing how far I could get in a single run. Good times...though I've yet to make it past stage 4 there.

...That said, you reminded me that I haven't tried DOOM 64 since I rebought it last year. I had sold it, along with a couple other N64 games that required a memory card...because I forgot that I could just buy a memory card, I guess. Now I own two of them, thanks to a generous eBay seller, so I can play as much as I want without worrying about lost progress. Maybe I'll hook the N64 back up...I probably won't use the PS2 any time soon...

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Tasuki

@CanisWolfred Good thing I have a six button controller for the Genesis. . When it comes to fighting games, I prefer the six button Genesis controller over the SNES simply because I hate using L and R for attacks in fighting games. That's why I always liked playing SFII on Genesis for example.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

CanisWolfred

Tasuki wrote:

@CanisWolfred Good thing I have a six button controller for the Genesis. . When it comes to fighting games, I prefer the six button Genesis controller over the SNES simply because I hate using L and R for attacks in fighting games. That's why I always liked playing SFII on Genesis for example.

Does it actually use it? I always heard things about it's weird control scheme...

EDIT: It does use the 6-button controller! And it has more attacks, or at least, I didn't realize Kicks were divided into Weak/medium/strong before. Neat. Now I kinda wanna try that someday...but maybe I should just stick to the arcade version on the collection. I already got that.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Fiyaball

I got Dynamite Headdy ($25, case/cart) and Wonder Boy in Monster World ($40, complete, even has the stupid tab on the top) at Control Freaks in Pigeon Forge, Tennesse. They had smash 64, Mario Party 3, and Earthbound, but I didn't get them. (smash 64 was $50, MP3 was $50-$60, earthbound was $170)

Edited on by Fiyaball

Fiyaball

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic