Forums

Topic: Your latest retro purchase

Posts 3,801 to 3,820 of 4,850

ZanderShepherd

I just went full YOLO and bought a GBA SP. I've been wanting to get one for a while, and now the time felt right. So I got:
GBA SP (black) with charger, Pokémon Pinball (GB) and Mario Kart Super Circuit (GBA). Price: €37,- total
Pokémon Firered. Price: €9,97 total
2 player Link Cable: €2,50 (ordered it from China).

It was a big investment, but I think it's worth it. There are a lot of great games on GBA, and I want to experience those too. And yes, I do have a DS Lite and yes, that one can play GBA games too, but it doesn't support multiplayer, something I felt was very important since my friends have GBAs too and I want to race them and battle with them.

ZanderShepherd

OneBagTravel

Untitled

Gold is on its way. I never played this version due to selling off my game boy and games around 98-99 time period. Currently finishing up a long over due play through of Yellow.

I picked it up pretty cheap due to the battery save not working but I have the CR2025 battery with tabs ready to be solder swapped.

StarBoy91 wrote:

@OneBagTravel - the black cart should still work on the original Game Boy and the Super Game Boy on the SNES; granted, certain details might be altered or lost in transition (i.e. Modern Donkey Kong in Game & Watch Gallery 2) and it'll be monochromatic instead of having an abundance of colors, but it should still work. But if you don't own a Game Boy Color (or Advance or Game Boy Player for the GameCube), then I guess the gray cart version is the way to go (it would be pretty moot to buy a non-monochromatic version without any post-Game Boy Color systems at your disposal).

To each their own

Yeah there's only a few games I want that are on the GBC and that have backwards compatibility.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Game_Boy_Color_games

Warrior Land II and BlasterMaster are about it. I wish Nintendo made all GBC games backwards compatible.

Edited on by OneBagTravel

I love traveling light through Europe and run a blog about it at OneBagTravel.com
Hardware: Wii U, New 3DS, Super Famicom & Super GameBoy, Game Boy Pocket

3DS Friend Code: 4399-0976-8690 | Nintendo Network ID: OneBagTravel | Twitter:

WiiWareWave

I just found a Super Gameboy that actually works while dumpster diving at my local retro games store!
Btw, I actually got permission to do so from the owner, don't attempt to do so without getting permission first otherwise you can get in trouble for dumpster diving in certain states.

Owner of http://www.WiiWareWave.com

PSN ID: Rukiafan7
NNID: Rukiafan7
Switch FC: SW-6328-7327-5891 ~WiiWareWav~

Switch Friend Code: SW-6328-7327-5891 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiafan7 | Twitter:

Eel

I just purchased Super Mario All Stars +:World for the equivalent of about 25 dollars, I hope that was a good deal.

At least now my SNES has 5 new games to play.

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Eel

Oh well, the SNES is still pretty "new" to me. Maybe the game was overpriced...

I prefer the GBA, but I guess buying each of the super Mario Advance games individually would've been a bit pricy too. I recently got Yoshi's Island for it though.

Bloop.

OneBagTravel

Collecting for SNES can get pricy now which is why I've been collecting the games I played as a kid on the VC (eek i know I'm in the retro subforum). I just can't justify spending $100+ for chrono trigger. The prices out there are outrageous. I guess the plus side is that you can still play these games on alternative platforms like the GBA or DS.

I love traveling light through Europe and run a blog about it at OneBagTravel.com

Eel

I had no idea collecting for the SNES was so expensive.

Guess my [small] SNES collection will stop with this game for now. All the other games I was interested in I already have via Virtual Console or GBA ports.

Bloop.

OneBagTravel

That's why I'm only collecting original Game Boy games. I'm not even a fan of collecting stuff in general, I hate clutter. But there's just something about playing carts on original hardware that I dig.

Now if SNES games were $5 each and there was a cheap HDMI solution for the console, I'd totally be on board.

ogo79

so yer all quitting collecting now. i told yall guys you were gonna get burnt out on trying to collect cibs only. what a waste of time.
horse dung, all of you...
so my latest purchase is jim lees wildcats for snes.
actually i claim ownership to the cart i bought so its ogos wildcats.

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

Tasuki

@ogo79: I haven't quit collecting. But you have a point. That's why I don't worry about C.I.B. games anymore. I just want to play them, so I mainly stick with cart only unless I find a really good deal.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

Fiyaball

Got Kirby's Tilt N' Tumble for $12; That game is whooping my a** HARD.

Fiyaball

KingMike

@ogo79 It's yours now. Can I take it from you, if I dare?

The DS is in the gray area of "retro" but I bought a CIB copy of 7th Dragon (I know it's Japanese only) now that the "third" game has been announced for the west. (I mean, I don't see a 7th Dragon II. I know there were 2 also-JP-only 7th Dragon 2020 games for the PSP but supposedly those were a spinoff. So 7D3 is most definitely not the third game, however you count it. )
And I highly doubt Sega has plans to localize them in 4 years.

@the_shpyder I was browsing ebay and found someone made a bootleg port of E.T. to the NES. I couldn't find any information except that it was maybe a giveaway with another, questionably legal, homebrew. And a photo of someone burying their cart, probably to the disgust of some collectors.

KingMike

the_shpydar

@ogo79: Damn you, i want that game. WildC.A.T.S. was a cool comic (one of the original Image titles), though i always preferred Gen13. They totally should have made a brawler based on Gen13.

@KingMike: Yeah, the NES port of ET is available only through mail-order to those who bought copies of the Leisure Suit Larry NES port from RetroUSB. It's been on my radar, since i do want to eventually pick up the LSL NES port eventually anyway.

ANYHOO...

Time once again for The ShpydarhaulTM! I've been meaning to post some pick-ups for a bit, but every time i've been about to i end up having something else on the way so i decide to wait. But all my recent gets have now arrived — including one that was delivered but apparently the package got nicked ... i'd be more annoyed if it wasn't a super-cheap inconsequential item — so it's time for some postin'!

Untitled
Frostbite (2600), CIB - As i probably have mentioned plenty of times, Frostbite is one of my all-time favorite games ever. @ogo79 knows i've been looking to get a CIB copy for a while now (i already own i think 3 or 4 copies of the cart as it is, including the variant blue-label version), so i pounced on this. Good condition, too. Now i just need to get one of the Activision patches for this game, which i actually had back in the day ... i still remember taking the Polaroid photo of the TV screen to send in for it way back when ...

Untitled
Hercules: The Legendary Journeys (N64) - I've only played a bit of this so far, but it's an interesting game, with the usual N64 flaws (camera, etc). Fun though. And it's not anywhere near as much of a Zelda-clone as people seem to think.

Untitled
Complete Set of N64 end labels - I don't have a complete N64 set, and probably never will. I think i have only a couple dozen N64 games total. But decided to get this set of labels anyway. They are excellent — amazing quality, and highly recommended for any N64 fans.

Untitled
Game Prince - I think Ashens may have done a review of this little system, or maybe Mark from CGR. It's basically one of those Chinese NES-on-a-chip systems of dubious legality, packed with "152" games ... which is not really that many at all, as several games are repeats or modded versions (for instance, versions of Super Mario Bros. that start you on each different world, or include Moon-jump type physics, etc). But the games packed in are a good selection of primarily NES/Famicom games (there are also bad 8-bit versions of things like Angry Birds, Plants and Zombies, etc.). Some of the included highlights are DK, DkJr, DK3, Mario Bros, Super Mario Bros, Popeye, Kung-Fu, Devil World, Contra, Legend of Kage, Adventure Island, Macross, Ninja Gaiden 2 and 3 ... you get the idea. Basically a crapload of classics. They vary in quality of emulation — many are buggy or have graphical/sound glitches, but are playable for some quick fun. Overall, it was worth the $15, if only since now it frees up space on my GBA flash cart, since i don't need to have PocketNES on it any more. The biggest issue it has is that the position of the A and B buttons are reversed — it doesn't matter for many games, but playing Super Mario Bros is the awkwardest it's ever been.

Untitled
Atari Video Pinball - This is my favorite recent purchase by far. Released in 1978 (after the VCS!), this is a stand-alone console that includes 7 variations of video pinball style games, including classics Breakout and Breakthru. In absolutely amazing condition, pretty much like new. Check out that classic epic "wood" veneer! Even has the manual included, and a cool tidbit is that the original owner wrote down in the manual when and where it was purchased; "Purchase Date 10.29.79 Best Products, Inc. Dallas". All hail Texas.

And that's it for this edition, tune in next time!

Edited on by the_shpydar

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong.
Urban Champion is GLORIOUS.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5973-1398-6394 | 3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | My Nintendo: theShpydar | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

soma

I bought a lot of Nes and Snes games recently, like
Batman (Nes)
Karate Kid
Chip 'n Dale Rescue Ranger
Dragon Warrior
Shadowgate
Super Mario 3
Donkey Kong Country
Biker Mice from Mars
Cybernator
Plok
Jurassic Park
Joe & Mac
and just got today Sunset Riders!! =D (very expensive but finally got it)

And if everything goes well, on weekend I'll be ordering a Battletoads in Battlemaniacs, a Castlevania (Nes), Tiny Toons (Nes) and a mint Super Castlevania 4.

soma

ogo79

OneBagTravel wrote:

@ogo79 Gotta collect 'em all!

Tasuki wrote:

@ogo79: I haven't quit collecting. But you have a point. That's why I don't worry about C.I.B. games anymore. I just want to play them, so I mainly stick with cart only unless I find a really good deal.

lol pretty much

KingMike wrote:

The DS is in the gray area of "retro"

hell no and i agree

the_shpydar wrote:

@ogo79: Damn you, i want that game. WildC.A.T.S. was a cool comic (one of the original Image titles), though i always preferred Gen13. They totally should have made a brawler based on Gen13.
Untitled
Frostbite (2600), CIB - As i probably have mentioned plenty of times, Frostbite is one of my all-time favorite games ever. @ogo79 knows i've been looking to get a CIB copy for a while now
Untitled
All hail Texas.

wildcats is a "rare" game
congrats on frostbite.
yes hail texas.
where the deer and the antelope play.
or where you can find all the retro games.

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

ogo79

...also id like to add ive got about 14 physical carts left to get then ill be done collecting. you see, i kept going. had a goal and its almost accomplished. now its gonna be down to just the very few selective homebrew games and downloads.

the_shpydar wrote:

KingMike

ogo79 wrote:

KingMike wrote:

The DS is in the gray area of "retro"

hell no and i agree

Wasn't sure if you got that EarthBound reference?

KingMike

OneBagTravel

Donkey Kong 94 and Wario Land II just came in. Gotta swap the batteries on them though.

Almost done with the collection. I want to get Castlevania II Belmont's Revenge, Rockman World 5 (Cheaper JP import) and the two contra games. I'm debating on Final Fantasy Adventure and Legends II.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic