Forums

Topic: Your latest retro purchase

Posts 3,581 to 3,600 of 4,850

KingMike

PKpunky wrote:

So... I'm finally going to get a front loading NES. Now, I have a few options that are in my area, but there are a few things I noticed. One system says it has the lock out chip disabled. Another says a "new" 72 pin connector has been installed. Another system is cheap cause it needs a new connector.

Now the last time I owned a NES was when I was just a kid. So retro gamers, any experience/ insight on these things?

Thanks for any tips and info!

Are you asking what those mean?
The lockout chip was a chip in the NES that was Nintendo's way of controlling production as well as the content of NES games (as their means of "quality control") and also stopping unofficial or bootleg games from being made, as well as stopping import games from working. Disabling the lockout stops the system from checking and allowing any NES-compatible cart to be played.
However, the lockout chip was known to be oversensitive and would lock-out even games it should play if there is even a slightly bad connection with the cart port.
It was bad enough that in the top-loader NES, Nintendo removed the lockout.

The 72-pin connector is what connects the NES cart to the system and allows the console to read the cart. The connector was designed to make it easy for the system to read carts when the system was new but over time the pins would get bent and the connector wouldn't work as well.
It's said new connectors aren't as good as the originals and some prefer to refurbish the original connectors, but that can take a bit of work.

As for my own purchases, Kirby Air Ride for GameCube. I think that is one of the few first-party games I don't have.
And another F-Zero GX disc. The one I got is a little scratched up. Though the one I already have is complete and cost me less a year or so ago I think that what the disc alone now goes for.

Edited on by KingMike

KingMike

retropunky

@Drowsy @KingMike

Thanks for the info! I wasn't too familiar with those things, but that really helps.

And on topic, I just received my first cartridge for it. I got a boxed SMB3 with the instructions as well. It's in decent shape too. Very excited to have this back in my collection.

retropunky

3DS Friend Code: 4313-0436-2109

Ryno

My latest "retro" game is for the XB1. Wait, what? Yeah, Rare Replay, one of the greatest compilations ever.

BattleToads Arcade alone is worth it. Played this gem for the first time last night.
Untitled

To blessed to be stressed.
80's music makes me feel fabulous.
What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

Nintendo Network ID: Choryzo

KingMike

I thought Battletoads arcade was one of those games were people were arguing about what the proper aspect ratio even is. (or at least emulator authors due to technical things with the hardware)
Now we now.

Edited on by KingMike

KingMike

Tasuki

@Ryno: I love the Battletoads Arcade game. I am kinda surprised that we never saw a home port till now especially during the SNES era when they were porting alot of Arcade games to the SNES. My son and I play that game quite often on the Ouya. In fact I think I will play it now.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

KingMike

Licensing perhaps? The arcade version was originally published by EA (maybe their only arcade game), while Tradewest had the Battletoads rights for consoles.

KingMike

6ch6ris6

Tenchu - return from darkness (xbox)

just got the game today. played the first level. right when i beat the boss the game freezes. i hope this is not a bug that happens every time :/

Ryzen 5 2600
2x8GB DDR4 RAM 3000mhz
GTX 1060 6GB

Ryno

@Tasuki: Yeah, its pretty great. It definitely has a darker vibe to it. To bad it doesn't have an online component because they would be fun when you get your X1. I was playing R.C. Pro AM and that took back since that was one of NES faves as a kid. I now believe Mario Kart didn't "start" the Kart Racers genre, R.C. Pro AM did.

@KingMike: Wikipedia said work was started on a SNES copy and then links "Retro Gamer 86, page 82." It would be interesting to see what that actual reason they gave was though.

To blessed to be stressed.
80's music makes me feel fabulous.
What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

Nintendo Network ID: Choryzo

Tasuki

@Ryno: Well I probably won't get an X1 till the holiday season. Right now my money is tied up in a trip to Portland Oregon this October for the Retro Game Convention. . So excited for that one.

My Backlog

Gridatttack

Someone gifted me a SNES with castlevania 4, so I figured I should buy some more games.
Clay fighter tournament edition for 5$

The game is fun, even if the fighting is not that great.

New Super Mario Bros. Deluxe, a remake of Super Mario Bros 1 and The Lost Levels for NSMBDS.
new 3DS: 0276-2211-7514

3DS Friend Code: 0276-2211-7514 | Nintendo Network ID: Gridatttack

ogo79

gunstar super heroes for gba

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

Tasuki

Ok so my package came today and as promised pictures

Untitled

So a C.I.B copy of Street Fighter II for the Genesis. The instruction booklet has a little wear and tear but nothing major. So now I can play Street Fighter II without having to deal with shoulder buttons. So now this makes copy number six of Street Fighter II I have. Spanning 3 systems.

My Backlog

HandheldGuru97

While I was in Minnesota for a family vacation I discovered a couple of video game stores.....I'd say it was a good vacation!
Untitled
Untitled

Formally Square-enixFan, Neo-GeoFan. A lover of fine games and handheld systems!!!!!!!!!!
The New 3DS XL is amazing, soon the NX will be upon us!
Backloggery
Check my Youtube channel out!
http://www.youtube.com/user/Ha...

3DS Friend Code: 1289-8230-2854 | Nintendo Network ID: Square_Enix_Fan

Tasuki

Well another Genesis Goodie this one might not be a big deal for you all for me it was a bit of a nostalgia value.

Untitled

Back when I got my Genesis on a Christmas morning (sadly I don't remember what year) I got two games with the system as well that well, we're my parents picks. Sadly back then most didn't know or want to know much about games back then which always made getting an unexpected game gift a gamble. Most parents went by the picture on the box, or what they liked sports wise as was this case or a well known IP like a movie game.

Anyway my Dad was a big Boxing fan so he got this game with my Genesis along with a Street Fighter clone that I don't remember the name of, and surprising this game was really good (The fighting game not so much). I remember playing this game and Sonic 2 (the pack in game) all Christmas day that day. This game had a career mode and was great two player game as well. I have been looking for it for awhile but have been finding loose cartridges online.

Well I went into a local thrift store today and saw it there C.I.B. what most online places were charging for cart only. It even has the poster inside of upcoming Sega Genesis games . So I picked it up. I will post more pictures in a bit.

Also thanks to @the_shpydar I have another retro purchase coming in a bit and will post pics of it.

Thanks again man I think. That site is going to get me in trouble now.

Edited on by Tasuki

My Backlog

the_shpydar

So i've been lazy and haven't posted these, but here's a couple pick ups from a week or two ago...

Untitled
Bible Adventures & King of Kings: The Early Years (NES) - Bible games! Both include the original Wisdom Tree cardboard sleeves, and Bible Adventures has the manual. Honestly, while these games are not great, they are not as horrible as everyone claims. Perfectly playable, though not without their faults.

E.T. (CIB) (2600) - Because of course. Been a while since i got another CIB copy, especially since people have been totally overpricing their listings ever since the Alamogordo dig.

@Tasuki
I know what you mean, man. My wishlist on that site is ridiculously long. I could easily drop several hundred dollars there and there would still be stuff i'd like to get.

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong.
Urban Champion is GLORIOUS.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5973-1398-6394 | 3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | My Nintendo: theShpydar | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

Tasuki

So another purchase for the Xbox

Untitled

I remember reading about this game back during that gen and thinking man if I had the money for an Xbox I would get it for that game alone, being at the time I was a hardcore tabletop Dungeon and Dragons player. Still a 4 player dungeon crawler based on D&D, me thinks I have another game for the guys for our multiplayer game nights.

My Backlog

the_shpydar

Had to hit the retro shop this past Saturday ...
Untitled
Rad Racer (NES) - A great game, and one of those "i thought i already owned this" games. Alas, i did not, but that has now been remedied.

Duck Tales (GB) - I got DT2 on GB just recently, so had to grab this one as well. Ironically, i don't own either NES DT game, which really is something that i should fix soon.

Adventures of Batman and Robin - This is the reason i had to go to the shop this past Saturday. I've been wanting this game for a while, and when i saw that Mike had posted a picture of it on FB amongst a bunch of games that had come in the store last week (including a CIB Bucky O'Hare!), "i knew i had to have it" (TM @TheGameChasers). A little pricey, but a good price for what this game usually goes for.
And finally, since i am awesome, Mike threw this in for free:
Untitled
The smoothest man in the galaxy! Fun fact (and i think i've told this story to @ogo79) - Billy Dee Williams won the election for incoming Senior Class President in my final year of high school. Seriously. It was awesome.

Edited on by the_shpydar

The Shpydarloggery

Switch Friend Code: SW-5973-1398-6394 | 3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | My Nintendo: theShpydar | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

Tasuki

@the_shpydar: Great purchases there man, Do you happen to have a pair of 3D glasses for Rad Racer?

Nice one on Ducktales as well I have been looking for a copy on GB as well lately, I have the NES one but whenever I see a GB one on ebay I always get outbidded at the last moment and I am usually at work. Been hoping that my local retro shops get one but so far no luck. Might have to wait till I go to the Portland Retro Expo to get me a copy.

Edited on by Tasuki

My Backlog

the_shpydar

@Tasuki
Unfortunately i do not have a pair of 3D glasses at the moment. I really should find a pair, especially since i also have 3D Battles of WorldRunner.

As an aside, I remember when i was a kid there would regularly be some sort of cross-promotional thing with 7-11 and a local TV NY station (WPIX, Channel 11) where WPIX would periodically show classic 3D movies (from the 50s and 60s) on Saturday afternoons, and 7-11 would give you a free pair of glasses (usually with the logos of the station and the movies and on them) when you bought a Big Gulp. 'Twas very cool.

The Shpydarloggery

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic