Forums

Topic: Your latest retro purchase

Posts 3,501 to 3,520 of 4,850

CanisWolfred

Geez, was it Goodwill day today? I vould've taken a side trip to the one near the mall after work...though I hardly ever see games at that one...

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

KingMike

Well, I see one PS2 RPG has gone up that thankfully I DID get while it was cheap: Wild Arms - Alter Code: F. I remember that game seemingly delayed forever, and then when it did hit on November 15, 2005 it had enough competition with DQ8 and Magna Carta, and a few other games. I'd say the Xbox 360 launch the next week was a thing, but I somehow I don't think there was too much market overlap.
Another game I found in the collection I'm kind of surprised to see they released in America: Nightmare of Druaga - Fushinino Dungeon. Two franchises probably few people in America had heard of rolled into one. (well, I know Mystery Dungeon had seen release in a Chocobo and Torkeno versions I think on PS1. But that was before its obviously most popular variant was released. But why they didn't translate the Mystery Dungeon subtitle? )

KingMike

the_shpydar

Ok, been a while since my last post, and i've got a random selection this time ...

Untitled

Atlantis (blue label variant) and Shootin' Gallery (Atari 2600) - just 3 more Imagic 2600 games left to grab including Atlantis II ... though i may have to enlist the aid of Indiana Jones to find that one

Dragon Warrior III (GBC) - I should probably get around to finishing the GBC version of DWII, but i'm glad i finally picked this one up at a decent price.

Brain Lord (SNES) - Started playing this and am still fairly early on, but it's a lot of fun. The Ys-influence is clear, but this game does something more with the formula with the different weapons and powers and such. Cool, and the NPCs have a certain engaging charm to their personalities. Well done once again, dear departed Enix.

Virtua Fighter 3tb - The original Virtua Fighter is a personal fave, but since i have yet to buy a Saturn (which i honestly have considered getting solely for VF), this entry will do for now. I definitely need to invest in a fight stick to get the most out of this one; the DC controller just doesn't cut it.

Meanwhile in other news, after several weeks of having to deal with the bureaucratic nightmare known as the Town of Hempstead, the retro shop is FINALLY having its grand opening at their new location this Saturday. He originally wanted to open on Memorial Day weekend, but red tape for businesses in the ToH is a hassle and a half. The new location looks amazing, and i am psyched to head on over and drop probably way too much money on Saturday. Stay tuned for the next Shpydarhaultm!

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong.
Urban Champion is GLORIOUS.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5973-1398-6394 | 3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | My Nintendo: theShpydar | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

the_shpydar

CanisWolfred wrote:

Wait, Brain Lord isn't flatout terrible? I'll have to try that, then...

I'm having fun with it so far. It does seem to be pretty linear and not all that hard, but fun nonetheless. I'd recommend checking it out if you like ARPGs and can grab a copy for $10 or less.

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong.
Urban Champion is GLORIOUS.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5973-1398-6394 | 3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | My Nintendo: theShpydar | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

KingMike

BrainLord is on the list of games where I got to the final boss and stopped.

KingMike

ogo79

yeah ive always liked the way brain lord looks

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

ogo79

ah, just snagged dragon fighter for famicom. (i had the nes version but sent it back due to cosmetic preferences.)
i also got a new famicom to nes adapter.
i also got warriors of fate ps1 japanese import.
i also got a nwc 1990 shirt.
i also got a game chasers shirt because "i knew...i had to have it!"
to be continued...

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

KingMike

Just saw something I'd been looking for for a little while. So I had to grab it right away: Door Door for the Famicom CIB. Box is a bit beat up but otherwise it looks to be in good shape.

And oh wow, I actually recognize WaveBoy's avatar. Pizza-dude or Pizza-face or something from some cheesy '90s Pizza Hut commercials.

Edited on by KingMike

KingMike

Tasuki

So I picked up for my son as part of getting good grades and finishing off the school an original Xbox along with KotOR and Crimson Skies from the local retro store. Grand total 70 dollars.

Untitled

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

Pkmns

Got a used Xenoblade (Wii version) in perfect conditions for 40 euros At last, I can see what all the fuss is about!

Pkmns

NinChocolate

Just purchased The Last Starfighter on VHS.

NinChocolate

Tasuki

Untitled

A little bit of an nostalgia purchase for me. This was one of the first Genesis games I played (well this and Altered Beasts). Back when I was in sixth grade on one of the last days of the school year we had bring your favorite game to school day. Well I think the teacher was thinking more of along the lines of board games but one of my classmates brought his Genesis along with a few games (I remember he brought Altered Beasts, Tommy LaSorda Baseball, Joe Montana Football and some sort of racing game). I remember then the teacher had to go get a tv on a cart that was hooked up to a vcr from the AV room so we could play it. Out of all the games I remember playing Tommy LaSorda the most. Needless to say my Clue boardgames sat untouched for the day.

Anyway saw a few copies at my local retro shop and I just had to get it. .

My Backlog

CanisWolfred

Got the Back to the Future trilogy. I've never actually seen 1 and 3 in the series. Gonna rectify that when I get some time. And finish the Mad Max Trilogy...

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Tasuki

Does this count as retro?

Untitled

I couldn't pass this up for 5 bucks. I always wanted to check out the Colecovision. I know it's not as good as the real thing but as I said for 5 bucks I could have done worst.

My Backlog

CanisWolfred

As for non-Steam Purchases:

SkyBlazer (SNES)
Konami Wai Wai World (Famicom)
Goemon's Great Adventure (N64)

Next time I'll try for Harvest Moon 64 and Brain Lord. And maybe Soul Blazer.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

ogo79

WaveBoy wrote:

@ogo79
Cheeseburgers man, cheeseburgers. Send me a copy of Kung Fuu & Little Samson. that would officially make my tiny zitttle' NES collection a big whoppin '30'

how about this instead!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/161545038260?lpid=82&chn=ps

the_shpydar wrote:

KingMike

ogo, why are you not recommending the FAMICOM version of Kung Fu (no, not Spartan-X)?

KingMike

StarBoy91

So yesterday afternoon I got the SNES movie tie-in The Addams Family video game, which if I'm not mistaken is one of Ocean's first (if not the first) endeavor(s) on the Nintendo 16-bit. Short version of verdict: I liked it. It's fun, it's got charm, the music is great, and despite the challenge it did not stray me away from the path (never underestimate the value of perseverance, sheer will power, and... secret rooms). While it would've been better had the gameplay and difficulty had been given some polish, I still enjoyed it while it lasted as it felt manageable to me, especially since it had a password system to back it up. I beat it this morning; I spent several hours playing it in total.

The reason I chose to buy this game recently was because after four and a half years of having owned The Addams Family: Pugsley's Scavenger Hunt I felt it proper to try the SNES predecessor to see what it was like by comparison. And now that I finished the original Gomez-led game, I want to see if I can finally reach the end of Pugsley's frustratingly password-less scavenger hunt.

An hour into Pugsley's game getting stuck in one of the stages

I miss The Addams Family already

To each their own

Edited on by StarBoy91

To each their own

KingMike

I know I've mentioned in the comments of the review but Pugsley is prone to random crashes, though it may just be a problem with certain SNES revisions. I've still got my original SNES, a near-launch NTSC SNES (aka a 1/1/1 system).
Doesn't seem to have crashing problems on an emulator and I dumped the ROM from my cart to be sure it's identical to the one on the Internet, which leads me to believe it is a console issue.
I've particularly had it crash during the underwater part of the bathroom stage. Opening the stats screen a lot (Select button) also seemed to also do it.

It was a pretty fun game and I almost beat it a few times as a kid, when I was able to avoid crash problems.

KingMike

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic