Retro Forum

Topic: Your latest retro purchase

Showing 3,341 to 3,360 of 3,551

AuthorMessage

WanderFan91

3,341. Posted:

A long time ago there was a moment which impacted me negatively and therefore scared me from trying this one specific RPG series; I won't get into the specifics as to why yet. Looking back, it was a pretty silly reaction, buuuut the past is in the past (you cannot change what happened then). Earlier last year I ordered and experienced Torneko no Daibōken: Fushigi no Dungeon (my tenth Super Famicom game, and the father of the Mystery Dungeon genre which sadly remained Japan-exclusive), and while it wasn't quite as turn-based as the original series it was spinning off of, I found it a lot of fun and enjoyed the replay value, gameplay, and charm (courtesy of Akira Toriyama's style). I will admit that even though I liked this spin-off, I was still hesitant to try any game from the original series (no matter how curious I was) because of the tragic moment that occurred years prior pertaining to the series. That was all changed days ago when I thought: "Screw it, time to bite the bullet and face the inevitable!" So, what game did I decide to play in this turn-based RPG series (which just arrived today)? Why, none other than the premier SFC iteration of the series: DRAGON QUEST V. I did once play a different version of the game, but the less said about that endeavor (cough software pirate victim cough) the better. I've only just started the Super Famicom original and from what I've played it's not bad, and the fact that it came out in the same year as Final Fantasy V makes it very awesome in my book (since FF V itself is awesome). All I've got to say is: I'm glad I decided to give this series a proper chance (despite an ugly start for me back in 2009), and the wait was worth it I feel. :) ............................................................................... I guess what I'm trying to say is that if I start loving this game and decide to play another Dragon Quest as a result (DQ VI maybe), it won't be the DS version that I'll be experiencing. Yes, I know that was a kneejerk reaction that I expressed just now, but I just had to get that off my system.

To each their own

Edited on by WanderFan91

AKA StarBoy91
Wanderloggery | StarBlog
Check out my Personal Super Famicom Recommendations
Massive retro gamer with a heart <3
Big Wander Over Yonder fan
23 and proud =)
To each their own

AuthorMessage

HandheldGuru97

3,342. Posted:

I've been on a little bit of an original Gameboy/Gameboy Color binge as of late...here's what I've got:
Dragon Warrior III GBC for $15(!!!!!!!!!!)
F-1 Race GB for $3
Revenge of The 'Gator GB for $5
Xtreme Sports GBC for $5

My 3DS might be getting a little dusty today....Not a bad haul over all!

Formally Square-enixFan, Neo-GeoFan. A lover of fine games and handheld systems and games!!!!!!!!!!
The 3DS XL is amazing. Much games... ^_^
Backloggery
Check my Youtube channel out!
http://www.youtube.com/user/HandheldGuru97
And my Blog! HandheldBlog

3DS Friend Code: 1289-8230-2854 | Nintendo Network ID: Square_Enix_Fan

AuthorMessage

Falchion

3,343. Posted:

@KingMike Its not like i dont like games with a challenge, but Super Empire feels very unfair. I didnt beat the first level but i got annoyed at the number and types of enemies, and the "platforming" parts. I feel like because u have so many hits the developers didnt care about making anything fair. O well i will go back to playing DKC:TF on hard mode.

Falchion

AuthorMessage

Snivy102

3,344. Posted:

Boxed Kid Icarus NES $25

Snivy102

AuthorMessage

KingMike

3,345. Posted:

Falchion wrote:

@KingMike Its not like i dont like games with a challenge, but Super Empire feels very unfair. I didnt beat the first level but i got annoyed at the number and types of enemies, and the "platforming" parts. I feel like because u have so many hits the developers didnt care about making anything fair. O well i will go back to playing DKC:TF on hard mode.

Not even the first level, though? I quit after the Wampas freeze you and then shove you off into the giant spike pits (so that's like the third, fifth level?).
And from what I've even seen, it's not much of an exaggeration in the AVGN review when he watches the boss' life meter extend outside his TV. :P

Edited on by KingMike

KingMike

AuthorMessage

Ryno

3,346. Posted:

So saw this: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/07/this_master_arts_met...
and preordered this because I couldn't resist a limited edition statue of my favorite series:
Untitled

Edited on by Ryno

To blessed to be stressed.
80's music makes me feel fabulous.
I miss Japanese games, the good stuff... Games that are imaginative, have good and unique gameplay, a great soundtrack, and replay value.
What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

Nintendo Network ID: Choryzo

AuthorMessage

ogo79

3,347. Posted:

Ryno wrote:

So saw this: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/07/this_master_arts_met...
and preordered this because I couldn't resist a limited edition statue of my favorite series:
Untitled

lol everyone is gonna start hating on you now. :D

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

AuthorMessage

Ryno

3,348. Posted:

ogo79 wrote:

Haha... Yeah, I know but I need a cool figure (or more) to go with all my gamez.

Edited on by Ryno

To blessed to be stressed.
80's music makes me feel fabulous.
I miss Japanese games, the good stuff... Games that are imaginative, have good and unique gameplay, a great soundtrack, and replay value.
What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

Nintendo Network ID: Choryzo

AuthorMessage

WanderFan91

3,349. Posted:

So today I just got my first GameCube game in years (the last game being Viewtiful Joe which I got for my birthday years ago); Pac-Man World 3 :)

This was actually a game I was curious to play at the time of release back when I was thirteen/fourteen (since I did play and like the first two Pac_Man World games at the time), but I didn't get a chance to play it in 2005. Well, roughly nine years later I decided to order it on eBay, but first are my thoughts on the predecessors.

Pac-Man World (PlayStation One) - I think it's okay; I like the inclusion of a 4:3 or 16:9 aspect ratio option and its worlds are fun to explore, but the camera angles cannot be controlled and controls take some getting used to (and could use some fine-tuning considering its likeness to Crash Bandicoot as far as camera angles are concerned; not to mention the area designs and pitch perfect platforming); but at least it's fun once in awhile (even if it can get frustrating from time to time), though I wish it was a bit better than it was. :)

Pac-Man World 2 (GameCube) - also okay, but not quite up there with the original; which says something considering this installment had better visuals, better frame rate, and had actual camera controls, which in theory should make it better except no. The controls are fine-tuned, but some areas tend to make it repetitive and annoying (whose bright idea was it to have the player rewatch the title card sequence after each time you lose a life? The original never did that, so why does the second game feel the need to be so redundant?), and it's got far less forgiving checkpoints (in the first game regardless you got to keep everything you collected that was found after the checkpoint, while in the second game if you lose a life after having gotten a checkpoint you must collect everything that was laid in your path after the checkpoint section, which wouldn't be so bad if not for the fact that some section are demanding in terms of design and in few cases speed). It's nice to look at, and it is very colorful, but I honestly found it to be more frustrating than fun (I'm looking at you, penultimate area that's only possible to beat by adjusting your TV settings; dark areas that are hard to see properly do not a fun game make), even when I'm not trying to 100% it. I hate to be that clichéd gamer, but Pac-Man World 2 is the weakest of the lot in my opinion. :|

I've gotten a little ways in playing Pac-Man World 3, and I think I actually like it more than the first two games. It is a bit distracting that Pac-Man can talk now, but at least he's not voiced that kid who does his voice in the mediocre Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures (which has got no reason to exist as far as I'm concerned; if anything it makes me pine for the '80s Hanna-Barbera show). The visuals are quite good and detailed, though frame rate-wise not quite as smooth as the second game, but everything else is fine; Pac-Man even shows off some sheen. I like the style and what direction it took, though I don't quite have a problem with Pac-Man punching his foes. Funny thing, there was actually a controversy about him punching (out of all the video games characters that were allowed to punch up to 2005 [including Mario], Pac-Man got scrutinized? Does that mean gamers are gonna have a problem once they play as him in the new Super Smash Bros. games? Also, does no one remember the box cover for the first Pac-Man World? He looks as if he's about to punch there), which I don't really find to be a bad thing (though I do miss the kickflip from the second game). I also so far find it more enjoyable and find less frustrating than the other two (although, it is a little easy but eh, I don't mind as I feel invested in the game currently). :)

To each their own

Edited on by WanderFan91

AKA StarBoy91
Wanderloggery | StarBlog
Check out my Personal Super Famicom Recommendations
Massive retro gamer with a heart <3
Big Wander Over Yonder fan
23 and proud =)
To each their own

AuthorMessage

ogo79

3,350. Posted:

Ryno wrote:

ogo79 wrote:

Haha... Yeah, I know but I need a cool figure (or more) to go with all my gamez.

noticed that here a long time ago. if i posted a real pic of nwc gold and gray on here and was like look what i found, no one would say anything to acknowledge it. but after my post someone would make another post right after mine like "i got mario 3 for nes yesterday", then 2 people will go out of their way to acknowledge it by saying "omg! whoa! i remember that game, nice score. propz". its done on purpose. its sad because even on nintendoage.com i posted a few rare games and a few people were like "awesome, congrats, nice score" and that board has more guys on our level.
money is meant to be spent, you cant take it with you. enjoy yer samus figure :*

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

AuthorMessage

Karakato

3,351. Posted:

Untitled
Forgive the awful phone quality shot. Anyway, I finally got an N6Foooooooouuuuurrrr!!!!! yeah, been meaning to play the rare 3d platformers in an authentic way. So far I only got Super Mario 64, Pokemon Colloseum 1 & 2, Waverace, WWE Revenge and a Japanese sports game I cannot make out.

I also got a SNES Cart for Killer Instinct.

Fancy a Karrot Cake?
Deviant Art Profile
Tumblr Page
My Backlog

The Rest is Silence.

AuthorMessage

the_shpydar

3,352. Posted:

ShpydarhaulTM time!

Untitled

Commando (NES): One of my favorite NES games. This game is so awesome that even the 2600 port (yup, there's a 2600 port!) is good. Also, fun shpydar-fact: this was the first NES game that i ever bought with my own money back in the day — back then i bought it for $20 from one of my classmates in junior high. :)

Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure (NES): Excellent!

Friday the 13th (NES): Jay-jay-jay-jay ha-ha-ha-ha kill-kill-kill-kill.

I'm thinking of going for a complete LJN NES collection just on principle ... i'm about halfway there anyway, so why not? :)

Untitled

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Crossroads of Time (SNES)

I know very little about this game other than it's a DS9 game (the only DS9 game?), and DS9 is awesome.

And finally ...

Untitled

E.T. (Atari 2600)

Another loose copy and another step towards world domination via E.T. carts! I also have another sealed copy coming from eBay that i nabbed for a decent price ... stay tuned!

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong. Also, Lindsey Stirling. Because violin awesomeness.
Current E.T. count: 26 Copies. 2 Sealed, 7 CIB, 3 Boxed, 14 Cart-Only.

3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

AuthorMessage

RancidVomit86

3,353. Posted:

Garage sales were a bit dry today but i did find one of the most rare Xbox games. Needed a little magic eraser and was looking like new.

Untitled

Edited on by RancidVomit86

Xbox Live Gamer Tag - RancidVomit86
Battle.net - Dayman
Wii Code - 4335 5256 5880 9373
iOS Game Center - RancidVomit86

Writer for www.sega-addicts.com

AuthorMessage

8BitSamurai

3,354. Posted:

RancidVomit86 wrote:

Garage sales were a bit dry today but i did find one of the most rare Xbox games.

^ So that's @RancidVomit86's idea of a bad haul, lol.

For me, I found Frank Thomas Big Hurt Baseball for the Saturn, and the Myst Trilogy at Goodwill, both for a couple bucks. Both of them are complete and in pretty nice shape, so I could have done worse.

Currently retired indefinitely
Official "rare download" Assistant
Best YT show here!
Beat: Final Fight, Spec Ops TL, King of Dragons
Favorite games: Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VII, Symphony of the Night, Dragon Quest VIII, Tales of the Abyss

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6175-1689 | Nintendo Network ID: 8BitSamurai | Twitter: PrinnySamurai

AuthorMessage

KingMike

3,355. Posted:

Madden 09 on Xbox? That had to be one of the last Xbox games.
Possibly another for the list of consoles whose final game was an EA Sports game (the PS1, maybe the PS2)?

KingMike

AuthorMessage

8BitSamurai

3,356. Posted:

KingMike wrote:

Madden 09 on Xbox? That had to be one of the last Xbox games.
Possibly another for the list of consoles whose final game was an EA Sports game (the PS1, maybe the PS2)?

I believe it was the last game. It is if Wikipedia is correct, anyways. GameCube's was Madden 08.

Currently retired indefinitely
Official "rare download" Assistant
Best YT show here!
Beat: Final Fight, Spec Ops TL, King of Dragons
Favorite games: Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VII, Symphony of the Night, Dragon Quest VIII, Tales of the Abyss

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6175-1689 | Nintendo Network ID: 8BitSamurai | Twitter: PrinnySamurai

AuthorMessage

RancidVomit86

3,357. Posted:

Ya it is an elusive one to come across in the wild. Was at the last garage sale of the day. Some old lady had it in the bottom of a bin full of DVD's.

Battle.net - Dayman

AuthorMessage

ogo79

3,358. Posted:

im afraid the common days of finding games at garage sales and thrift stores are long over. it would be awesome to find things this way still. but the word is out now and everyone is holding/selling games

the_shpydar wrote:

AuthorMessage

RancidVomit86

3,359. Posted:

@ogo79 The deals are still there. It's becoming harder but with a little patience they can be found. I probably dig through 10,000 pounds of baby clothes to find what i do but they are there.

Battle.net - Dayman

AuthorMessage

KingMike

3,360. Posted:

I previously ordered Brandish 2 Expert for SFC and Dragon Buster for FC both CIB. Even if the standard version of Brandish 2's title "The Planet Buster" is applicable as the only proper reaction to Brandish to Sephiroth all of you! :D

And I'll try to buy another game that IS NOT KONANI. Cosmic Epsilon, probably the best Space Harrier clone that promises space Greek letters. Found it listed at a much better price than ebay, so we'll see how that goes.

KingMike