Retro Forum

Topic: Your latest retro purchase

Showing 3,241 to 3,260 of 3,499

AuthorMessage
Avatar

the_shpydar

3,241. Posted:

I think it's really a very simple answer — the Ys games have never been popular in the Western markets. I expect that after III was released, they simply decided it wasn't cost-feasible to translate, localize and release the next games (IV and V) in the West. They took another shot with VI, it worked out, and the rest is history. :)

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong. Also, Lindsey Stirling. Because violin awesomeness.
Current E.T. count: 26 Copies. 2 Sealed, 7 CIB, 3 Boxed, 14 Cart-Only.

3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

AuthorMessage
Avatar

KingMike

3,242. Posted:

Also, Ys V was released in December 1995 in Japan. Few publishers were probably willing to start work on localizing 16-bit RPGs by that point (the start of the 32-bit gen).
(we got Mario RPG, but well it's Mario so they weren't too worried about that not selling. And Lufia II, though it seems the game was delayed for awhile and still turned out a bit buggy. :( Maybe Lufia II made it because supposedly Taito was working on localizing it themselves in 1995 before they closed their official American subsidiary, so some work was probably already done.
Then again, Harvest Moon was probably a bigger risk and someone took it.

Though why they didn't localize the PS2 version I don't know. Were those not very good? (I've heard its possible.)

Edited on by KingMike

KingMike

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WanderFan91

3,243. Posted:

I guess the fact that the Nintendo 64 wouldn't come out until September '96 in America was a big advantage for Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars, having come four months prior (so at least gamers got to play that one before moving on to the next console). Another game that took a risk (not an RPG but for exemplification purposes): Kirby's Dream Land 3; I still think that it should've been made for the Nintendo 64 (oh, wait HAL did that: it was Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards and was nowhere near as good), but because it came out for the SNES a year after the Nintendo 64 came out fewer people got to play it at the time (at least compared to Kirby Super Star which most got to play because it came out before the Nintendo 64 made its debut).

To each their own

Edited on by WanderFan91

AKA StarBoy91
Ah, irony
Wanderloggery | StarBlog
Massive retro gamer with a heart <3
Big Wander Over Yonder fan
RIP Robin Williams 1951-2014 =(
23 and proud =)
To each their own

AuthorMessage
Avatar

KingMike

3,244. Posted:

Oddly enough Kirby's Dream Land 3 apparently actually came out a few months earlier in North America than Japan, despite that it looks like there's almost no text but the title screen.
(reportedly in came out in like March 1998 in Japan. I know I got that game for Christmas the previous year.)

KingMike

AuthorMessage
Avatar

NESforlife

3,245. Posted:

I just broke out my NES and bought Legend of Zelda cause I had a craving to play again! I think I'll build up my collection of old NES games. Beside eBay, are there any other sites out there that I could get some deals?

NESforlife

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WanderFan91

3,246. Posted:

@KingMike - it's one of those rare cases in the '90s where the West received a game before Japan did, like The Lost Vikings, Maui Mallard, Cool Spot, Plok, and Goof Troop (though, heh heh, the Japanese version of this one has got three difficulty modes while the Western version only had one, to the extent of my knowledge as I only played the SFC equivalent Gūfii to Makkusu - Kaizoku Shima no Daibōken; there's more replay value with three difficulty modes anyway than just one anyway, even if you're playing as either Goofy, Max, or both) among others.

To each their own

Edited on by WanderFan91

AKA StarBoy91
Ah, irony
Wanderloggery | StarBlog
Massive retro gamer with a heart <3
Big Wander Over Yonder fan
RIP Robin Williams 1951-2014 =(
23 and proud =)
To each their own

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Pianomanfreak

3,247. Posted:

I pickup Harry Potter and the Chamber of secerts for the gameboy color today.

My Youtube channel!

3DS Friend Code: 4425-2766-8363 | Nintendo Network ID: Pianomanfreak

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WanderFan91

3,248. Posted:

Game Boy Color? Wow, I never knew that the first two Harry Potter movies got video game adaptations made for the Game Boy Color (I knew about the Game Boy Advance adaptations however).

Edited on by WanderFan91

AKA StarBoy91
Ah, irony
Wanderloggery | StarBlog
Massive retro gamer with a heart <3
Big Wander Over Yonder fan
RIP Robin Williams 1951-2014 =(
23 and proud =)
To each their own

AuthorMessage
Avatar

KingMike

3,249. Posted:

As much as I wanted to hold off on buying for A LITTLE while, the latest attack on my wallet was POWERED by SPRIGGAN for Super Famicom.
Not sure how great it plays but it's certainly a nice looking game at the last. Looks like one of those games were I can pay now to not pay OGO later. :)
Placed an order at about $29 and shipping, looks to be about the going rate now.

KingMike

AuthorMessage
Avatar

ogo79

3,250. Posted:

KingMike wrote:

As much as I wanted to hold off on buying for A LITTLE while, the latest attack on my wallet was POWERED by SPRIGGAN for Super Famicom.
Not sure how great it plays but it's certainly a nice looking game at the last. Looks like one of those games were I can pay now to not pay OGO later. :)
Placed an order at about $29 and shipping, looks to be about the going rate now.

hey! hey! hey! thats not how this works! yer not following protocol.

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

the_shpydar

3,251. Posted:

ogo79 wrote:

KingMike wrote:

As much as I wanted to hold off on buying for A LITTLE while, the latest attack on my wallet was POWERED by SPRIGGAN for Super Famicom.
Not sure how great it plays but it's certainly a nice looking game at the last. Looks like one of those games were I can pay now to not pay OGO later. :)
Placed an order at about $29 and shipping, looks to be about the going rate now.

hey! hey! hey! thats not how this works! yer not following protocol.

Well, now he just has to pay the "Failure to Pay Tribute to Ogo" penalty tax. :*
Untitled

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong. Also, Lindsey Stirling. Because violin awesomeness.
Current E.T. count: 26 Copies. 2 Sealed, 7 CIB, 3 Boxed, 14 Cart-Only.

3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WanderFan91

3,252. Posted:

Dammit, KingMike, stop indirectly making me intrigued looking up and be curious somewhat of games that you bring up that I never heard of before! :D JK, but seriously, it does look good from what I saw of it on YouTube.

Well it took longer than I thought it would to arrive, but here is my latest retro purchase, currently sitting on my handy dandy Retro Duo: :)
Untitled
Yeah, this may be a surprise to no one considering that Elnard is the Japanese version of The 7th Saga, but after hearing that the difficulty in the Japanese original is more balanced than in the Western localization I thought "what the hell? I might be making a big mistake but what the hell?" Already I noticed differences after having just started it: Lejes has got an ugly color scheme (which is more colorful in the West), there's a new sound effect not vastly present in the Western version (the one where you access the menu, it sounds more bouncier here), some of the color schemes are off or different (in particular inside Lemele's Castle and inside the inn), and the alien character Wilme has got no pants (he's bare nude in the JP version; glad I didn't choose him, instead I chose Valsu). But, so far so good; can't wait to see if there are any other changes that were made the farther I get along. ................... Brain Lord is still the better Produce-developed SNES RPG. I'm just saying.

To each their own

Edited on by WanderFan91

AKA StarBoy91
Ah, irony
Wanderloggery | StarBlog
Massive retro gamer with a heart <3
Big Wander Over Yonder fan
RIP Robin Williams 1951-2014 =(
23 and proud =)
To each their own

AuthorMessage
Avatar

tanookisuit

3,253. Posted:

My latest purchases have been GBA games over the last month which I hadn't bothered with in quite a long time. I ended up getting Qwak, an amiga port by the original author of which only 300 copies were made. I also grabbed up some PAL/JP GBA releases and most just US titles, mostly stuff I had previously owned I wanted another crack at. I never did own Kurukuru Kururin or Hudson Collection Vol1 Bomberman1+2 before and they're cool.

I've picked off so far Castlevania COTM, Robotech(complete with toy), the 3 mentioned already, Sword of Mana, Gradius, FZero, Car battler joe, Super SF2X(jp ver, no save glitch), and DOOM off ebay. Also got ahold of FF5A(sealed to be opened) and FF6A too, Sim City 2000, and some others all on the cheap.

I also got a soldering iron for the first time about a week ago and I used it to repair a tabletop arcade, a handheld, and then the other day solder my first replacement battery so now Crystalis works (bought used with dead battery) for the first time in a very long time.

My Personal Video Game / Accessory List
http://http://tanooki.home.insightbb.com/

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Pianomanfreak

3,254. Posted:

I pick up Disney Magical Quest 2 for the gameboy advance today.

My Youtube channel!

3DS Friend Code: 4425-2766-8363 | Nintendo Network ID: Pianomanfreak

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WanderFan91

3,255. Posted:

@Pianomanfreak - I only played the SNES original The [not so aptly named] Great Circus Mystery starring Mickey & Minnie, and I honestly think it's a good game. :) I do recall a superficial mini-blurb printed about it in a 2003 Game Informer magazine written by Lisa for the GBA port, which was sorely lacking in credibility because, well:
Untitled
Really, "some of the worst jumping controls in memory"? [by 2003 standards] She's not even going to elaborate on that? Did something terrible happen while the game was being transitioned to the Game Boy Advance, or did she play a totally different game and wrote that blurb while she was in a cantankerous mood? I don't know because I didn't play the GBA port, she did (it would be informative for people that didn't play that if she stated why some elements didn't work). If it was due to the constant bouncing up and down of the cowboy get up on the horse, it can be worked around (and you can stop bouncing by holding down). I already scrutinized her mini-blurb enough when I referenced it talking about the SNES game on my blog for my 2014 birthday review (so I'll just leave it there), but the point still stands: if you're going to say something that's going to raise an eyebrow (especially if it's in a "professional" review), then you had better have a good reason for making a statement like that; if you say something that's going to raise an eyebrow but you don't give a reason (especially if it's in a "professional" review), then people won't take you seriously (just like I don't take Lisa's 2003 Game Informer review seriously because she didn't once make any attempt at elaboration; she shouldn't just leave it at that expecting people to take her word without opposition). :| "Bad Mickey", puh-lease! Give any game a score below 5, and then we can concur that it's bad. :P You can feel however you want about something, but if you elaborate on why you feel that way about something then we'll have a better understanding of where you're coming from.

To each their own

Edited on by WanderFan91

AKA StarBoy91
Ah, irony
Wanderloggery | StarBlog
Massive retro gamer with a heart <3
Big Wander Over Yonder fan
RIP Robin Williams 1951-2014 =(
23 and proud =)
To each their own

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WaveWarlock

3,256. Posted:

Pianomanfreak wrote:

I pick up Disney Magical Quest 2 for the gameboy advance today.

These days, I just can't get into the SNES original, like Castle off Illusion(but to a lesser extent on the genny') it just doesn't hold up in terms of game play along with it's stiff, awkward unintuitive controls. I love oldschool disney as much as the next treasure troll, but 90% of the video games just don't do it for this WaveCruster!. Capcom hit it out of the park with DuckTales and did a great job with Chip 'n Dale back on the NES, but after that things got a little stale imo... TailSpin and the Little Mermaid were the equivalent of Calirfornia raisin turds, although I do have a bit of a soft spot for the latter, wasn't too bad except it was wayyy too easy.

Anyhoo! Magical Quest is still a beautiful game, and was quite the stunner(Aside from mickey's lifeless stationary animation-less sprite, ahem which was corrected/improved upon in Castle of Illusion) and was somewhat enjoyable at least i found back then....'some what' but when you stack it against something like Super Mario World it falls extremely short and comes across as a 2nd rate appetizer. The Berry helicopter controls are appalling and i hate the fact that Mickey starts to run when you walk 'just enough' which can be quite random and annoying. There should of been a run button capcom! :P If anything the visuals are definitely superior compared to the likes of Castle of illusion and World of illusion(ahem once you get past mickeys lifeless sprite and soak up the incredibly detailed colorful environments)

I would probably take Castle of Illusion and World of Illusion over MQ, but just barely. I'd honestly rather just leave all 3 as just a memory! :P

Edited on by WaveWarlock

Currently Playing: Ghouls 'n Ghosts!
We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!
80s FANATIC & King of NES Tekkidome!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WanderFan91

3,257. Posted:

What makes Castle of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse, World of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck, and The Great Circus Mystery starring Mickey & Minnie better than The Magical Quest starring Mickey Mouse for me personally is this: all three of those games did not take place in a dream (or rather, one in which it was revealed to be a dream at the end of the game with no prior hint or foreshadowing that it was a dream to begin with). The Great Circus Mystery, even though the buildup wasn't as great as the original's, I felt that this sequel had a much better payoff and one that was actually satisfactory. "But The Magical Quest starring Mickey Mouse was Capcom's first Mickey pl--", bull crap, does not excuse the poorly executed "it was all a dream" cliché! It doesn't! :|

To each their own

Edited on by WanderFan91

AKA StarBoy91
Ah, irony
Wanderloggery | StarBlog
Massive retro gamer with a heart <3
Big Wander Over Yonder fan
RIP Robin Williams 1951-2014 =(
23 and proud =)
To each their own

AuthorMessage
Avatar

KingMike

3,258. Posted:

WanderFan91 wrote:

I do recall a superficial mini-blurb printed about it in a 2003 Game Informer magazine

Who cares about a Disney game, anyways?
I mean, you have preordered Call of Duty, Manhunt, Max Payne 2, Madden 04 and Tony Hawk's Underground, right?

Edited on by KingMike

KingMike

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

3,259. Posted:

Grabbed King of Fighters R2 for NGPC yesterday for only $5. Really, I was just surprised to see it in a store...

Doesn't talk about games.

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi
Scary Wolfrun...
...Scared Wolfrun

Arooo~

AuthorMessage
Avatar

the_shpydar

3,260. Posted:

Time once again for another episode of The ShpydarhaulTM:

Untitled

Gun.Smoke (NES) - I love this game; also, i blame @8bitSamurai for mentioning it in chat and thereby making me buy it when i saw it. :D

Mendel Palace (NES) - I know nothing about this game except that it's a puzzler, it's Game Freak's first game, and it's fun.

Untitled

Ghost House (Master System) - On the format that will never die, the Sega Master System Card!

The Ninja (Master System) - Gotta love that box art.

Untitled

Mr. Do (Atari 2600) - This version is beyond horrible. Awesome.

<yet another copy of> E.T. (Atari 2600) - Because i gotta catch 'em all.

Meanwhile, still waiting on my Ys IV cart ...

Edited on by the_shpydar

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong. Also, Lindsey Stirling. Because violin awesomeness.
Current E.T. count: 26 Copies. 2 Sealed, 7 CIB, 3 Boxed, 14 Cart-Only.

3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar