Forums

Topic: Your latest retro purchase

Posts 3,221 to 3,240 of 4,850

ogo79

WaveWarlock wrote:

KingMike wrote:

The Dual Shock 2 had one feature over the PS1 I believe: pressure-sensitive buttons.
Though the only game I personally played to use that feature was Star Ocean 3, and even then it was only for one dungeon at the end of the first disc. (though I never actually finished that game)

I'm pretty sure the only new feature of the dualshock 2 controller was the clickable Analog sticks. how exciting! Now you're playing with next gen power! that's one console I did not care for....There are about 10-15 games I do want to play on it however. Silent Hill 2,3 & even 4 are a must.

i think mike is right. the dual shock 2 has pressure buttons. i believe one of the games called the bouncer utilizes those too. the harder you press the buttons the harder the hit is. 3 different levels. but im not going to break out my 2 brand new emerald green ps2 controllers yet. aint nobody got time for that

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

the_shpydar

How you livin'?
(WHAT?)

How you livin'?
(WHAT?)

How you livin'?
(WHAT?)

In Living Color!
You can walk on the moon, float like a balloon, it's never too late and it's never too soon ...

Oh wait.

SHPYDARHAUL TIME!

Untitled

Gremlins 2 (NES) - Sunsoft once again crafted a good licensed title. It gets pretty hard as it goes, in that classic NES style.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (NES) - Do i really need to say anything about this one? I did beat it back in the day, but that was some time ago.

Totally Rad (NES) - I decided to grab this after watching Cygnus Destroyer's review. Basically a Mega Man clone, infused by a dose of Bill and Ted. Flawed, but fun.
Untitled

Inspector Gadget (SNES) - This is a very fun platformer. Graphics are great and it's well-designed in how you have multiple gadgets at your disposal. Also, the damage in the game is Ghosts 'N Goblins style - two hits to death, and after the first hit, you're in your underpants. Of course, Gadget's a boxer-man.
Untitled

Demon Attack and Fire Fighter (Atari 2600) - I decided to start collecting the Imagic 2600 games. I already have probably a third or so (not counting variants), but i know the insanely-ultra-rare Atlantis II will be ever elusive.
Untitled

A bunch of blue-label variant Activision carts (Atari 2600) - As some of you may recall, i already have a full set of Activision 2600 carts. But when i saw this lot of blue-label variants, i just had to grab it just on principle. Mostly common (relatively, for the blue variants), but a couple harder to find carts.

Edited on by the_shpydar

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong.
Urban Champion is GLORIOUS.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5973-1398-6394 | 3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | My Nintendo: theShpydar | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

KingMike

WaveWarlock wrote:

I'm pretty sure the only new feature of the dualshock 2 controller was the clickable Analog sticks. how exciting! Now you're playing with next gen power! that's one console I did not care for....There are about 10-15 games I do want to play on it however. Silent Hill 2,3 & even 4 are a must.

If you mean the L3/R3 buttons, I THINK PS1 had them.
I don't have an actual PS1/controllers (PS2 was my first Sony console), but I'm pretty sure some of my PS1 manuals have mentioned them.

KingMike

SuperWiiU

KingMike wrote:

WaveWarlock wrote:

If you mean the L3/R3 buttons, I THINK PS1 had them.
I don't have an actual PS1/controllers (PS2 was my first Sony console), but I'm pretty sure some of my PS1 manuals have mentioned them.

Yes, the first DualShock does have the L3 and R3 buttons.

ogo79

@the_shpydar
nice haul. im looking at that gadget game now too...

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

ogo79

WaveWarlock wrote:

ogo79 wrote:

@the_shpydar
nice haul. im looking at that gadget game now too...

Ditto. I completely forget about Totally RAD, I need to get on that faster than a feisty Metroid.

totally rad is cool. i beat it a few years back. guess im one of the only ones here who traded that game in...

the_shpydar wrote:

RadioShadow

WaveWarlock wrote:

Tasuki wrote:

@WaveWarlock: I thought the GC was a pretty solid system. I liked it better the the N64. For one thing I think the Gamecube has the best third party support for a Nintendo system since the NES/SNES days. I thought multiplatform games like Soul Caliber II ran and look better on the GC then the PS2 or the Xbox, and games like WWE Day of Reckoning I will take over their other system counterparts any day of the week. Yeah the GC didn't have the multiple uses that a PS2 or Xbox had, DVD playback, online but I bought the Gamecube to play games not watch movies IMO the Gamecube was the last pure video game system before all we get is multimedia devices like nowadays.

I don't know about Soul Calibur running the best on the cube, I've played the XBOX version and it was noticeably sharper as if it had higher resolution or something. The PS2 version I'm sure looked and performed the worst....Plus the inclusion of that lame tekken dude made it weakest version period....He doesn't have a Fido dido-thang on Spawn or Link that's a given.

The GameCube version of Sould Calibur II does support Widescreen (16:9) and 480p (if you have the component lead), while the Xbox supported a higher resolution (720p I think), but no Widescreen (16:9).

So it depends if you prefer high resolution or widescreen. Personally, 480p on the GameCube looks gorgeous and honestly never liked the Xbox controller, although the GameCube controller isn't that great for fighting games. Could just use a GC to PS2 Adapter to get round that issue.

Edited on by RadioShadow

RadioShadow

Twitter:

Yoshi_Prime

I went to the local Game Stop yesterday, and despite having more than enough games to play, I bought two more. I'm really bad at that. The two games were Odama for the Gamecube and Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge for the Wii U. That last one isn't retro, but Odama works. My roommate says he has the GC mic, so I'll see if I can find that.

Yoshi_Prime

KingMike

I ordered some obscure-maybe Genesis game.
CROSSFIRE! CROSSSSSSSSFIREEEEEEEEE!
Oh wait, I think that might be a different game.

Yeah, shpyder's probably not going to ever get Atlantis II. What is it, 10 copies in existence?

KingMike

Tasuki

WaveWarlock wrote:

Sega Genesis(model 1) just came in the mail, and to my surprise the seller threw in another original 3-button controller.
yet we all know how Sloppy n' squishy Genesis and SNES buttons can feel after being BattleToaded' & bruised for so many galactic groovy years of crazy use.
Now, I've found those rubbery tactile replacements online for the SNES controller, but I can't find any for the Genesis.

Wavey needs a wittle help here!

What you should look for is the Genesis six button controller. Its alot better then the three button one.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

mystman12

So that Genesis and 32x and other stuff I got for $3 came with everything except an AC adapter for the 32x and a 32x game.
One AC Adapter and Virtua Racing later...
Untitled
It's the future!!!

Not sure if all Genesi (Is that the plural for Genesis?) are like this, but mine's always been really finicky, and it took me a while to get this working, and when I finally did, I was having some trouble with it crashing mid-game, but it seems like I've got it now. Virtua Racing sure has some catchy music!

Edited on by mystman12

I like makin' games!
Future Pinball games!
Petit Computer games!!
and SmileBASIC games!
Waiting for Kirby Air Ride 2. One day, it will come. One day...

3DS Friend Code: 0259-0292-5888 | Nintendo Network ID: mystman12 | Twitter:

unrandomsam

WaveWarlock wrote:

Sega Genesis(model 1) just came in the mail, and to my surprise the seller threw in another original 3-button controller.
yet we all know how Sloppy n' squishy Genesis and SNES buttons can feel after being BattleToaded' & bruised for so many galactic groovy years of crazy use.
Now, I've found those rubbery tactile replacements online for the SNES controller, but I can't find any for the Genesis.

Wavey needs a wittle help here!

Get the one with the Saturn MK2 style dpad. It is loads better. (The 6 button is easier to find than the 3 button but both exist).

MK-1653

“30fps Is Not a Good Artistic Decision, It's a Failure”
Freedom of the press is for those who happen to own one.

KingMike

Aren't there some games though that work better with the 3-button pad, making it a good idea to keep both around?

Edited on by KingMike

KingMike

Tasuki

KingMike wrote:

Aren't there some games though that work better with the 3-button pad, making it a good idea to keep both around?

I am not sure on that. I got my Genesis late in its life span (I had the model 2 version) so it could be possible that the older games played better with the 3 button. I just remember using the 6 button alot whenever I played mine mainly cause I loved the shape a whole lot more.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

the_shpydar

A couple of pick-ups ...

Untitled
Dragon Warrior I & II (GameBoy Color) - this is a great port of these games, removing almost all of the issues that make the original NES versions (especially the first game) a bit of a chore to play these days. But I do wish they had kept the old-timey English translations.

Untitled
The Official Nintendo Players Guide - I had this back in the day, but sadly it vanished in the sands of time (along with my Nintendo Power and Nintendo Fun Club News issues). A really excellent book full of write-ups, maps, tips, etc etc that honestly everyone who is a fan of the NES should have. This copy is a little beat up (which is why i was able to get it at a reasonable price), but in a certain way i like that, as it shows that it was used and loved, not just thrown on a shelf or closet somewhere.

Also, @KingMike - regarding Atlantis II, i think it's kind of uncertain/unconfirmed how many copies are out there, but it certainly not that many. The hardest part about finding it is that you can never really know if it's Atlantis II or not until you pop the game in and check out the score display icons and points received per ship. As most probably know, the cart label itself is exactly the same as the Atlantis cart; the only indication that it was Atlantis II was a typed sticker that was placed on the box of the game. The good thing about that though is that someone might have it and sell it for next to nothing, having no idea what it is. Maybe i'll get lucky one day!

The Shpydarloggery

Switch Friend Code: SW-5973-1398-6394 | 3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | My Nintendo: theShpydar | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

KingMike

Operation Thunderbolt for SNES.
Hope it's better than Operation Wolf. Mouse compatibility is certainly a start.

(and it may or may not be eventually subject to the Taito tax I'm already seeing bleed onto other consoles besides the NES )

KingMike

ogo79

WaveWarlock wrote:

I honestly just want to use the original 3 button controller for nostalgia sake, just with new rubber inner buttons(whatever you call them) to get that brand new clicky feeling again. seems like they're an easy find if you plan on ordering from AUS for the NES & SNES, but I can't find any for the Sega genesis. bummer!

theyre button membranes. i bought a few of those 3 button genny kits on ebay a while back myself. i use 3 and 6 button controllers personally. everywhere ive looked online is sold out at the moment. https://www.estarland.com/product29810.html
im not selling any of mine though.

the_shpydar wrote:

ogo79

the_shpydar wrote:

Also, @KingMike - regarding Atlantis II, i think it's kind of uncertain/unconfirmed how many copies are out there, but it certainly not that many. The hardest part about finding it is that you can never really know if it's Atlantis II or not until you pop the game in and check out the score display icons and points received per ship. As most probably know, the cart label itself is exactly the same as the Atlantis cart; the only indication that it was Atlantis II was a typed sticker that was placed on the box of the game. The good thing about that though is that someone might have it and sell it for next to nothing, having no idea what it is. Maybe i'll get lucky one day!

this is very true. i wonder to this day if the cart my grandmother was going to give me in my uncles huge atari lot was atlantis 2 or not. you should buy as many atlantis 1 games as you have et carts. youll find one that way

the_shpydar wrote:

theBluntKnight

I bought a fire emblem SNES game on VC on special a couple months ago but when it comes to an physical retro game the most recent one was an HDD modded PS2 that had some fighting games I wanted to play otherwise the last time before that was fourteen years ago when I bought terranigma for SNES. it only cost 20 bucks from a local pawn broker. I bought it knowing it was an under appreciated RPG that came out late in the SNES' life and having played thru it once it has since become one of my top 10 favourite SNES games. Even though I could probably sell it for ten times what I paid for it I have no plans to part with it.

theBluntKnight

the_shpydar

ogo79 wrote:

you should buy as many atlantis 1 games as you have et carts. youll find one that way

That's the plan!

The Shpydarloggery

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic