Retro Forum

Topic: Your latest retro purchase

Showing 3,221 to 3,240 of 3,550

AuthorMessage

Zelretch

3,221. Posted:

My last purchase was three months ago when I bought Legend of Zelda Oracle of Ages and Seasons CIB (Japanese Version), Megaman X Collection PS2, and Wario Land 3 CIB.

Zelretch

AuthorMessage

antipop621

3,222. Posted:

After mulling over it for months I decided to buy a lot of Suikoden Games. I got Suikoden I-V and tactics for ps1/ps2.

antipop621

AuthorMessage

Reddaye

3,223. Posted:

It's not really retro yet, but I did snag copies of Super Mario Sunshine, and Luigi's Mansion for the GameCube. Trying to build up my GCN collection before the prices start to get out of hand.

Reddaye

AuthorMessage

ogo79

3,224. Posted:

Reddaye wrote:

before the prices start to get out of hand.

yer about 3 years too late for that :D

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

AuthorMessage

Jazzer94

3,225. Posted:

Reddaye wrote:

It's not really retro yet, but I did snag copies of Super Mario Sunshine, and Luigi's Mansion for the GameCube. Trying to build up my GCN collection before the prices start to get out of hand.

I also did this about a month ago, got both of ebay (stupidly sold them when I got a Wii in 2007).

PSN: mangaJman
SSBB FC: 1204-1132-2888
The Jazzloggery
Once you see you can never unsee Everyone's favorite videogame character
I keep getting this feeling that I should write something down here........................

3DS Friend Code: 5155-3100-6367 | Nintendo Network ID: Justinius94

AuthorMessage

Nazo_no_Hikari

3,226. Posted:

2 days ago, My brother purchase Banjo-Kazooie from the Retro game store that's located in Suffolk, Virginia. We both enjoyed it, BUT my latest purchase with my own MONEY is X-men Vs. Street Fighter for the Sega Saturn (Although, my Saturn is a USA version, I got myself an old version of action replay 4mb Plus, it allows to play imports, obviously have cheats, and have more room than a saturn can.) We both played matches together, and it was Excellent. That means I'll have to ask my parents later about the new version of Action Replay 4MB plus, and order it from Play-Asia, because I'm planning to get Vampire Savior, Marvel Superheroes vs Street Fighter, Pocket Fighters, and even King of Fighter '96 or '97.

Don't even bother reading this signature. Wait, you're reading this signature aren't you? (¬_¬)

私のなまえ謎の光です。

My name is The Mysterious Light (Nazo no Hikari). I still go by the name NintenNess, but you can call me either way.

Nintendo Network ID: NintyNess

AuthorMessage

the_shpydar

3,227. Posted:

I actually got this last week, but never got around to posting, so here's an ACTION SHOT!

Untitled

Ys V: Kefin, Lost Kingdom of Sand (SNES) - Fan-translation reproduction cart that i found randomly on eBay, got it for a few bucks less than the few repro sites that have it. I've already completed it; it's very short and easy. Still a good game, but one of the lesser entries in the Ys series.

I've also ordered the fan-translation SNES repro cart of Vs IV: Mark of the Sun, but i'm still waiting on that one. I may also grab a copy of Ys III: Wanders from Ys for SNES even though i have the Genesis version, just so i can have all three of Ys III - V in SNES form.

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong. Also, Lindsey Stirling. Because violin awesomeness.
Current E.T. count: 26 Copies. 2 Sealed, 7 CIB, 3 Boxed, 14 Cart-Only.

3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

AuthorMessage

WanderFan91

3,228. Posted:

Ys V is the entry that plays less like an Ys game and strays from the series formula drastically (plays more like an unofficial sequel to Brain Lord than anything else); I agree that it's a good game, but I don't think it's the best iteration in the SFC/SNES. [For me] That would be Ys IV: Mask of the Sun, which is an awesome game that goes back to the roots of Ys Book I & II; if you liked those two, then you'll love the fourth entry, the_shpydar. :) Final boss takes a few tries to defeat though. Ys III: Wanderers from Ys has got great music on the SNES, and like Ys IV, the final boss will be quite a challenge at first (it's different than in the other versions).

To each their own

Edited on by WanderFan91

AKA StarBoy91
Wanderloggery | StarBlog
Check out my Personal Super Famicom Recommendations
Massive retro gamer with a heart <3
Big Wander Over Yonder fan
23 and proud =)
To each their own

AuthorMessage

KingMike

3,229. Posted:

I don't know about other versions, but in the second dungeon there's one spot where you can VERY EASILY farm EXP. Just stand there and hold your sword as birds that want to die fly into it. :D As long as you remember to go out when you need to heal, I recall it didn't take TOO long to get max EXP.
Though the later dungeons will still PWN you.
I do not own any version of Ys3 currently (unless you want to count Oath in Felghana, maybe I bought that on PSN but I can't remember) but I do have Ys 4 SFC and both versions of Ys 5, all CIB (only to find out that one really should not as the Expert version packaging, perhaps to be expected, only differs by the cover art for the manual/box. Better to get CIB normal and loose Expert if you want.)

KingMike

AuthorMessage

WanderFan91

3,230. Posted:

I own Ys V Expert in CIB, and that's the only version of Ys V that I played; I hear that it's a little more challenging than the original version, but I don't know by how much. I did like how you could change the color of Adol's shirt, armor, and eventually his hair (it brings out a lot of variety). :)

Edited on by WanderFan91

AKA StarBoy91
Wanderloggery | StarBlog
23 and proud =)
To each their own

AuthorMessage

PieEater163

3,231. Posted:

I got an Atari 2600 Jr 2 weeks a go, it came with all the wires, Ghostbusters, Defender 2, 32 in 1 and Centipede. I also got Secret Quest, Mario Bros and combat separately.

YouTube: PieEater163

Nintendo Network ID: Dylzzzz

AuthorMessage

ogo79

3,232. Posted:

@the_shpydar
on my retron 3 where it says the system names, mine is in all caps, both systems i had lol. NES, GENESIS, SNES
could it be shpy has a rare retron system?
is it a rare misprint?
i can put yer retron 3 on the rare downloads program and they can download yer specific retron 3.
50/50 profit.
lets go places

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

AuthorMessage

the_shpydar

3,233. Posted:

ogo79 wrote:

@the_shpydar
on my retron 3 where it says the system names, mine is in all caps, both systems i had lol. NES, GENESIS, SNES
could it be shpy has a rare retron system?
is it a rare misprint?
i can put yer retron 3 on the rare downloads program and they can download yer specific retron 3.
50/50 profit.
lets go places

I am completely on board with this idea. :*
I wonder, do you have the original release R3, or the revision? The main difference from what i understand is that the system selector knob has 4 positions (NES, SNES, Genesis and an unlabeled 4th position which does nothing), while the revision just has the correct 3 positions. I do wonder why the labeling on mine is like that ("nES", "GEnESIS", "Snes"). :D

@WanderFan91 @KingMike
The funny thing about Ys V is that while it was a departure in many respects from the previous games (not counting Ys III), it basically started the style that the Ys games are like now, with VI being basically a revamped version of the Ys V-style engine, and then Felgana, Ys 7 and Origins (and Celceta i presume, as i have not played it) refined the style further. Ironically, at this point there are actually more Ys games that are not the "classic/traditional" Ys style — III, Felghana, Celceta, V, VI, 7, Origins are either different entirely (III) or in the "new" style, while only I, II, IV are the "classic/traditional" style. :)

But it will be cool to finally play IV, especially since it appears to be very much a throwback to the original Ys I & II. I actually like Ys III a lot (Felghana is a masterpiece, but the original Wanderers has a lot of charm for me since it so resembles Adventure of Link) and half the reason to get it on SNES is just to give me an excuse to play it again.

Edited on by the_shpydar

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong. Also, Lindsey Stirling. Because violin awesomeness.

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

3,234. Posted:

I thought Origins and Oath were both "run into the enemy" games, too?

EDIT: Oh, they aren't. They definitely aren't. Huh.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

Mecha Wolf Prime

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi
Scary Wolfrun...
...Scared Wolfrun

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

ogo79

3,235. Posted:

the_shpydar wrote:

I wonder, do you have the original release R3, or the revision? The main difference from what i understand is that the system selector knob has 4 positions (NES, SNES, Genesis and an unlabeled 4th position which does nothing), while the revision just has the correct 3 positions. I do wonder why the labeling on mine is like that ("nES", "GEnESIS", "Snes"). :D

the first r3 i had was the original. this second one ive had for years is the revision and yer correct about that 4th knob position lol

this would be the perfect time to start a rumor saying the 4th position knob turning lets you play sega cd games :*

the_shpydar wrote:

AuthorMessage

WanderFan91

3,236. Posted:

@the_shpydar - I like Ys III: Wanderers from Ys too, even though I have my own qualms towards it (like the fact that even though it's in the Ys series canon it never once references Adol's first two adventures, or even the land of Ys which he saved in Ys II; what is the point of having the subtitle "Wanderers from Ys" if you're not even going to mention the very land that's in the subtitle at all? It just aggravates me personally; Nihon Falcom could've called anything else and it would've been fine). So Ys V made an impact on the future installments even though it was different from the first four games and turned off some gamers at the time (1995)? Huh, well there's the irony of the day.

So if Ys V was the impetus for how the series would become,........ how come it took Falcom eight years to make the sixth iteration (2003)? Eight years, that is a very long time gap between entries. I don't own the PlayStation Vita (if there's anything that makes me want to try it it's just one game, but even then I don't feel it's enough reason to experience it; there just aren't many games I'm interested in for the Vita atm) but I'm still upset at how the moment Ys: Memories of Celceta was released it replaced Ys IV: Mask of the Sun as the official fourth entry in the series canon. Maybe it's because I just liked the SFC game so much that it makes me upset, as it's really good (another thing that makes me upset: the Vita game is the only Ys IV that was officially released in the West). Another thing: it took twenty years for an Ys IV anything (Vita) to see the light of day in the West (how come Ys VI saw a Western release while Ys IV and Ys V did not? You'd think people would've been like "Hey, where the other two games?!?"); will the same fate befall Ys V (if Nihon Falcom plans on remaking that game again)?

To each their own

AKA StarBoy91
Wanderloggery | StarBlog
23 and proud =)
To each their own

AuthorMessage

8BitSamurai

3,237. Posted:

ogo79 wrote:

the_shpydar wrote:

the first r3 i had was the original. this second one ive had for years is the revision and yer correct about that 4th knob position lol

this would be the perfect time to start a rumor saying the 4th position knob turning lets you play sega cd games :*

It actually enables the Wii Balance Board

Currently retired indefinitely
Official "rare download" Assistant
Best YT show here!
Beat: Final Fight, Spec Ops TL, King of Dragons
Favorite games: Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VII, Symphony of the Night, Dragon Quest VIII, Tales of the Abyss

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6175-1689 | Nintendo Network ID: 8BitSamurai | Twitter: PrinnySamurai

AuthorMessage

the_shpydar

3,238. Posted:

@WanderFan91

That's funny, the only reason i want a Vita is to play Celceta as well. :) My PSP is basically little more than my Ys machine, since i have the I & II remake, Felghana, VI and 7 all on the system.

The thing with Celceta vs IV i think mainly has to do with the fact that Falcom didn't do the two (or three, depending on how you look at it) previous versions of IV (Mask of the Sun and Dawn of Ys), and they just decided to clean up the canon and make a "definitive" version of the story (in the same way that they used the expanded story in Felghana to replace Wanderers).

I don't expect that we'll see another re-imagining, though i suppose it is certainly possible that V will get similar treatment. From what i understand, the gap between V and VI (which was actually closer to 7 years or less given development time) came about mainly because V wasn't received too well, so there was some debate over whether they would push ahead with the formula that they started in V, go back to basics, or try something different altogether. Obviously they were able to refine the system quite a bit for VI (though the game is not without its own problems), and more so in the games that came afterwards.

The Shpydarloggery

AuthorMessage

KingMike

3,239. Posted:

WanderFan91 wrote:

You'd think people would've been like "Hey, where the other two games?!?");

It didn't actually say VI on the cover (except the JP-only PC boxart)

Edited on by KingMike

KingMike

AuthorMessage

WanderFan91

3,240. Posted:

Yet Nihon Falcom had no problem retaining the title "Ys Seven" everywhere when the seventh installment came out years ago despite all this. I'm just trying to understand their mindset is all; Ys IV: Mask of the Sun, I understand why that game wasn't released in the West as there are a couple rather gruesome moments in it (I mean really gruesome). I don't know what Ys V's excuse is as I didn't notice anything all that objectionable in it while playing it (then again, they probably thought it wasn't going to be received with open arms if they went through with the Western release so I guess I can buy that... unless it's one of those "let's not localize because of vague bullcrap reasons" kind of games, in which case it's equally bullcrap), but it's just all rather curious (also curious: no rock music in the fifth installment! What is an Ys game without any rock in it?!).

My point is: there is a void that has not been filled for American releases (for awhile it was I, II, III, blank, blank, VI, Seven until 2012-2013 when IV finally made a Western apperance). They released the first three games, and then VI, after that Seven, and now their personal version of IV (Memories of Celceta). The only game that's missing an official American release now is V, though the likelihood of that happening is probably not as high as it was for the predecessor's reimagining.

To each their own

Edited on by WanderFan91

AKA StarBoy91
Wanderloggery | StarBlog
23 and proud =)
To each their own