Forums

Topic: Your latest retro purchase

Posts 3,041 to 3,060 of 4,850

BearHunger

ogo79 wrote:

BearHunger wrote:

I bought Road Rash II for Genesis! Sluggish (much like the Super Scaler ports to Genesis) but fun.

dont you ever, ever talk down on a genesis game again. you couldnt possibly mean that...take it back!
im gong to count to 1...

What? I just complimented the game. It's no, um, N64 game.

BearHunger

Nintendo Network ID: Bear_Hunger

the_shpydar

KingMike wrote:

Actually I noticed the copyright for NES Defender II credits Williams but then says it's licensed from Atari Corp. Wasn't the game NOT an Atari Corp IP but Williams/Atari Games (independent of Atari, aka Tengen for home publishing). I noticed the Famicom version of Defender II (Star Gate) omits any HAL copyright but just says "COPYRIGHT 1983 ATARI" which as far as I can tell is not only the wrong company but also the wrong year of the original game (should be 1981).
Joust also. I don't think that was Atari either.

I think that probably has to do with the licensing rights. Atari was pretty savvy about locking those things down so that they would get a piece of the pie for any releases of the games they published back then.

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong.
Urban Champion is GLORIOUS.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5973-1398-6394 | 3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | My Nintendo: theShpydar | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

Action51

Got Excitebike (NES) for Wi U with Club Nintendo coins

If that doesn't technically count as a purchase then I got Mr Driller 2 (GBA) on Wii U

Also picked up some old school RPGs and adventure games on Steam like the Dungeon Siege 1,2,3 bundle and Two Worlds Epic Edition.

Action51

GanonDorf

Got a few new NES games and a PsOne
Untitled

And a new TV for my retro stuff. A Philips 32PW9551.
Untitled

GanonDorf

RadioShadow

Did anyone go to Retro Revival in Wolverhampton, UK, last weekend? Had a couple of stores selling games. Picked up a couple of things:

• One Piece: Grand Battle 3 (JPN GameCube) - £8
  • Yoshi's Story (JPN Nintendo 64) - £5
  • Sonic Compilation [Sonic 1, Sonic 2 & Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine] (Mega Drive - Cartridge only) - £5
  • Mega Bomber Man (Mega Drive) - £8
  • Sonic Spinball (Mega Drive) - £4
  • Sonic 1 (Mega Drive) - £1
  • Sonic Adventure 2 Battle (GameCube - damaged box) - £2
  • Lemmings (Game Gear) - £5

Now the best bit was they were hosting some game tournaments, free to enter. I entered the "Micro Machines 2", "Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine" & "Mario Kart 64" tournaments. While I came 3rd in "Micro Machines 2", I actually came first in the other two tournaments. As for a prize, this is what I got:

Price 1:

• Sony PlayStation 1 (with Power cord + crappy RF lead)
  • PlayStation 1 Controller (one with analogue sticks)
  • Tekken 3 (PlayStation 1)
  • Heart of Darkness (PlayStation 1)
  • Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 (PlayStation 1)
  • Thunder Hawk 2 (PlayStation 1)
  • [This racing game] (PlayStation 1)

Prize 2:

• Nintendo 64 (with Power cord + crappy RF lead)
  • World Cup 98 (Nintendo 64)
  • Formula 1 Racing Game (Nintendo 64)
  • Mission Impossible (Nintendo 64)

I honestly wasn't expecting the actually consoles, just some games, so I'm pretty happy. Shame I already have a N64, but I've been meaning to get a PS1, which I now have. As soon as I get the RGB lead, I can play some Tekken and Crash Bandicoot 2!

Edited on by RadioShadow

RadioShadow

Twitter:

Ryno

Figured I better pick this up before the price skyrockets even more.

Untitled

To blessed to be stressed.
80's music makes me feel fabulous.
What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

Nintendo Network ID: Choryzo

StarBoy91

Ah, nice purchase, Ryno. Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars was my first RPG when I was little... although I technically hesitate to say it is since I wasn't good at RPGs when I was child (didn't really get far) and I got better at the genre when I was a teenager but... yeah..... Still, good game, imo.

My newest retro purchase is something I was curious of for awhile, and I was glad to find the game for a reasonable price on eBay: Ardy Lightfoot
Untitled
It was released in the West (by Titus), but I settled for the Super Famicom version 'cause there are differences between versions. And I'm glad to say: I'm really enjoying this game! Lots of fun.

To each their own

Edited on by StarBoy91

To each their own

KingMike

Ultimas!
Finally decided to cross Ultima 7 off the SNES RPGs not yet owned list. Had to go loose because sheez the box and manual are expensive!
Also, Runes of Virtue 1 and 2 for the Game Boy. Looks like the SNES version of 2 is now cheap but I already bought a SFC copy so I don't know if I want to double-up.
Ultima 4 NES cart+manual as well. It looks like an improvement over Ultima 3 which was like one of the first 10 games I got for the NES over a decade ago but couldn't stand to play for very long.

Wow that camera angle in Ultima 7 gives me a headache just watching it on youtube. A video like seven minutes long where the guy dies like 2 seconds after he meets his first monster.

KingMike

KingMike

I thought I had almost every SNES RPG.
Turns out I hadn't repressed my memories of Lord of the Rings enough. With its off-centered hit detection, seemingly inability to heal except to kill off your party, awful... almost GENESIS graphics and OUTRIGHT LIES of being the first multiplayer action-RPG. Oh and passwords. Not just PASSWORDS, in a SNES game, but passwords that need like a hundred characters because each one can only be one of the six button letters.
Supposedly it was originally meant to be an NES game (which would explain those graphics ). However while Shaq Fu will be with us always, I had heard this NES version has been erased from existence. As in the developers actually erased the EEPROMs of their proto carts (so they are in video game heaven next to Conker's Quest and any other Rare N64 protos?).

And also FFX|X-2 HD Remaster. Yeah, I'm calling it retro as I am expected to buy pretty much the exact games I bought 10 years ago. Seeing as I bought Kingdom Hearts HD and would you believe my eyeballs are still in my face over the differences. Still though that amazon free shipping. Doesn't matter if I have to wait like another week if I can pretty much buy that game with the money I'm saving on shipping. Fine, maybe Square-Enix is still getting a few bucks. I'm sure they put at least a few bucks worth into it.

Castlevania IV original-print manual. I normally wouldn't pay $13 for a manual unless it was an uncommon game like Lufia or Super Ninja Boy, but I guess being one of my favorite games as a kid, it can pass.

Gremlins 2 for Game Boy loose. I hear it's a pretty bad game, but I kinda wanted to play.

KingMike

ogo79

KingMike wrote:

almost GENESIS graphics

Untitled

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

Ryno

Since the SNES is the best system ever, I got another game for it:
Untitled

@WaveBoy: I haven't got a box for SMW yet, I should probably someday. I have never played SMRPG either. I just knew my SNES collection would not be complete with out it. You spent way to much time watching others play SNES games back in the day. You have a lot of games to get caught up and experience playing with super power!

Which dude are you going to be, the pimped out playa or one of the foot clan wannabes watching?

KingMike wrote:

Turns out I hadn't repressed my memories of Lord of the Rings enough. With its off-centered hit detection, seemingly inability to heal except to kill off your party, awful... almost GENESIS graphics and OUTRIGHT LIES of being the first multiplayer action-RPG. Oh and passwords. Not just PASSWORDS, in a SNES game, but passwords that need like a hundred characters because each one can only be one of the six button letters.
Supposedly it was originally meant to be an NES game (which would explain those graphics

With "almost Genesis graphics" consider me out on that one! I do like games with password as long as they are no ridiculously long. Beats having to change a battery.

Edited on by Ryno

To blessed to be stressed.
80's music makes me feel fabulous.
What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

Nintendo Network ID: Choryzo

ogo79

Ryno wrote:

Since the SNES is the best system ever, I got another game for it:
Untitled

@WaveBoy: I haven't got a box for SMW yet, I should probably someday. I have never played SMRPG either. I just knew my SNES collection would not be complete with out it. You spent way to much time watching others play SNES games back in the day. You have a lot of games to get caught up and experience playing with super power!

Which dude are you going to be, the pimped out playa or one of the foot clan wannabes watching?

KingMike wrote:

Supposedly it was originally meant to be an NES game (which would explain those graphics

With "almost Genesis graphics" consider me out on that one! I do like games with password as long as they are no ridiculously long. Beats having to change a battery.

i was checking brain lord out, oddly enough it reminds me of arcus odyssey on the genesis
well arcus odyssey came out on the sfc as well but unlike most american gamers i wont try to act like i know japanese so the genesis version is favorable so i can read it. why are americans trying to play japanese rpgs when they cant read what to do in them? anyways, theres even a mace whip weapon that you upgrade in this game as well, check it out:

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

StarBoy91

@Ryno -

BRAIN LORD!!!!!!

One of the most obscure games ever, unfortunately. I know not many people like it, but I'm one of the few gamers in the world that's got an affinity towards it (despite all its more than glaring issues, it does have a lot of interesting moments going for it too, despite its generic look, bad translation, and lack of replay value; the music is great even if it doesn't sound like something you'd hear in a Ninty 16-bit game, the pulldown menu system is something you rarely see on the SFC/SNES, and what other RPG allows specific doors to be opened by specific keys [all with elegantly worded descriptions of them no less]). A bit cerebral considering the puzzle plaques (I don't think they're too hard to solve, though I appreciate Produce's attempts at going all out with various puzzles), but it's very manageable (and not hard like pretty much everyone that's played it clamors it to be; I played through it several times and rarely have a problem with it), but it's okay fun while it lasts. Too bad it's really short. But that's okay, Nihon Falcom would eventually create the (superior) unofficial sequel to it with Ys V the following year (what with the eerily similar gameplay elements and whatnot, despite all the different qualities).

To each their own

Edited on by StarBoy91

To each their own

the_shpydar

Ahh, i've had Brain Lord on my radar for a while now. I'll eventually pounce on a copy, but it's one of those that i keep hoping to catch someone slipping on to get it cheap.

The Shpydarloggery

Switch Friend Code: SW-5973-1398-6394 | 3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | My Nintendo: theShpydar | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

RancidVomit86

It's like the Nomad and Madden 09 were me cashing in good karma and now I must hit a dry spell.

Battle.net - Dayman
Steam - RancidVomit86
PSN - RancidVomit86

Where my friends and I usually get stupid:
https://www.twitch.tv/MUDWALLHOLLER - Come by hang and visit our Discord. The link for Discord is on the Twitch page.

Let's Go Buffalo!

8BitSamurai

RancidVomit86 wrote:

It's like the Nomad and Madden 09 were me cashing in good karma and now I must hit a dry spell.

It's contagious. Couldn't get to some of the better places in town today because a stupid parade had all the roads closed off. -_- Horrible day for game chasing evidently.

"rare download" Assistant

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6175-1689 | Nintendo Network ID: 8BitSamurai

RancidVomit86

8BitSamurai wrote:

RancidVomit86 wrote:

It's contagious. Couldn't get to some of the better places in town today because a stupid parade had all the roads closed off. -_- Horrible day for game chasing evidently.

Yeah I hit my local goodwill today, which never had anything but PS2 sports games, and saw a stack of Xbox games that had some good titles in there. Opened them up to find that all the games look like someone took sand paper to them. Really is a bummer this weekend.

Battle.net - Dayman
Steam - RancidVomit86
PSN - RancidVomit86

Where my friends and I usually get stupid:
https://www.twitch.tv/MUDWALLHOLLER - Come by hang and visit our Discord. The link for Discord is on the Twitch page.

Let's Go Buffalo!

Falchion

Went to a flea market today and picked up a few games:
Xexyz (Nes) - $6
Dragon Power (Nes) - $4
Advance Wars (Gba) - $10
Final Fantasy II (Snes) - $30

Not bad it will keep me occupied for a while.

Falchion

the_shpydar

8BitSamurai wrote:

RancidVomit86 wrote:

That's the way Game Chasin' go!

@Falchion
I need a copy of Dragon Power. I remember my friend getting that game back in the day, and we were dumbfounded by the insanity of it — since back then no one in 'Murica knew what Dragonball was (for the unenlightened, Dragon Power was the American version of Dragonball) and it all seemed so randomly insane.

Edited on by the_shpydar

The Shpydarloggery

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic