Forums

Topic: Your latest retro purchase

Posts 2,961 to 2,980 of 4,850

KingMike

It bugged me that the Lufia ad said "your actions determine the outcome of the opening story" (I think that's what was changed to "Battle in the opening story" on the box). It made it sound like you could play an alternate storyline if you lose the intro (which is something you pretty much have to be TRYING to do). But nope, you just get the game over screen and get sent back to the entrance.

Sadly I only have a cart with dead battery (got for like $20 in the early 2000s) and the manual (which cost about the same in the late 2000s).

Edited on by KingMike

KingMike

ogo79

the only thing i dislike about taxan is their knack of having 3 different difficulty settings within each game. each time they are like "you should try another difficulty" lol

Edited on by ogo79

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

Ryno

@KingMike: Ha, I thought "Battle in the opening story!" was a weird thing to advertise on the box.
@ogo79: I didn't see a difficulty select on the title screen, will G.. Joe tell me that after I beat it?

To blessed to be stressed.
80's music makes me feel fabulous.
What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

Nintendo Network ID: Choryzo

ogo79

Ryno wrote:

@KingMike: Ha, I thought "Battle in the opening story!" was a weird thing to advertise on the box.
@ogo79: I didn't see a difficulty select on the title screen, will G.. Joe tell me that after I beat it?

oh yeah my bad. each ending teases you. its the taxan way. blame ken lobb, hes behind the madness. hes the one that had that fine, fine gun called the klobb in golden eye named after him for our most beloved "retro" system ever...the n64!

Edited on by ogo79

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

Falchion

Last weekend I picked up Aladdin (SNES, with manual), F Zero (SNES) and Viewtiful Joe (GCN). I am enjoying all three of these games and I have already beaten Aladdin.

Falchion

KingMike

Put in a few more orders.
Might & Magic III CIB and Obitus CI for SNES. Nearly a full SNES RPG library now (either SNES or SFC, not necessarily both). I think I only miss Ultima VII (probably going to be expensive) and Brandish 2 (probably not expensive). I am excluding the one PAL-exclusive I know of because I have no compatible hardware (Might & Magic II, as I read the English version is a separate port than the Japanese). I think I mentioned no one region got all the first three games on Nintendo hardware.
Taz-Mania and Daffy Duck for Game Boy loose. I did enjoy Looney Tunes when I was a kid. Decent side-scroller but typical of Sunsoft nice music (I recall the Tweety song was particularly good). Going to see if the other Sunsoft LT games hold up.

KingMike

Electricmastro

How old does a game have to be for it to be considered retro?

Backloggery. Now playing: 3D Dot Game Heroes, Donkey Kong, EarthBound Beginnings, Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams, and Pac-Man Championship Edition DX+.

3DS Friend Code: 0216-1196-2417 | Nintendo Network ID: Electricmastro

8BitSamurai

Electricmastro wrote:

However old you want, I guess. I consider Dreamcast and before retro.

"rare download" Assistant

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6175-1689 | Nintendo Network ID: 8BitSamurai

ogo79

Electricmastro wrote:

these days, if yer going by indy game companies with all this faux retro in it, then on release date.

Edited on by ogo79

the_shpydar wrote:

8BitSamurai

WaveBoy wrote:

ogo79 wrote:

Electricmastro wrote:

these days, if yer going by indy game companies with all this faux retro in it, then on release date.

Them funny indie critters, constantly stealing ideas from classic franchises and layering them in cheap Flash visuals.
Here's an example

Untitled
ReVen = Metroid

That, or using completely fake-looking faux 8-Bit style, over and over and over and over.

ogo79

@WaveBoy 8BitSamurais favorite series is call of duty.

the_shpydar wrote:

CanisWolfred

WaveBoy wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

Good luck beating Viewtiful Joe. That game's hard...

Try breating it's sequel...I finished both.

Ironically I found the sequel easier outside of some spots, despite playing it first. Those "spots" however, were some of the most rediculously frustrating sections I've ever delt with, though.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

KingMike

WaveBoy wrote:

Untitled

That could be a contender for longest game title, if you're like the people who could a SNES fighting game's full title "Hey Punk! Are you Tuff E Nuff?"

Although I did save one copy of Viewtiful Joe from Best Buy's junk bin, I suppose it's not a real rescue until it gets played?
I'm not sure if this one copy of Nights Wii I didn't buy from them deserved its fate of being bound to two Barbie games, I think it was.

KingMike

Brutapode89

Picked up--

• Tekken 3 (PS1)
  • Vagrant Story (PS1)
  • Soul Reaver 2 (PS2)

AKA Jamba001, FRpokefan, Dracolosse89, Drattak89 & Scarhino89.
Friend Safari: Ground-type with Marowak, Palpitoad & Wooper.

3DS Friend Code: 1547-5281-6768 | Nintendo Network ID: Jamba001

8BitSamurai

Got a complete copy of the 3 1/2" floppy version of SimFarm for $3 at Goodwill today. Always a fan of the SimCity games, but I'm not sure if this is any good.

CanisWolfred

Grabbed Crystalis and Little Nemo for the NES. Always wanted these ones. Heck, they were the reason I got an NES. Didn't cost me that much, either.

Only NES games I need still are Metal Storm (good luck with that), Contra (available, but always expensive), and maybe a licensed game like Darwing Duck or something like that...would also be nice if I could play Kid Dracula, but I don't want to get a Famicom just for that...

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

KarrotMan

Finally got an english Yoshi's Island along with Super Bomberman (just beat it a while ago) for the SNES and Galactic Pinball for the Virtual Boy. Had to give away an ultra rare game though so I could get money but at least I got a few gems along with it. Totally worth it.
Untitled

Edited on by KarrotMan

Fancy a Karrot Cake?
Tweetter
Devian tArt
Mumblr Page
[em][url=http://backloggery.com/kara...

Ralizah

CanisWolfred wrote:

Grabbed Crystalis and Little Nemo for the NES. Always wanted these ones. Heck, they were the reason I got an NES. Didn't cost me that much, either.

Only NES games I need still are Metal Storm (good luck with that), Contra (available, but always expensive), and maybe a licensed game like Darwing Duck or something like that...would also be nice if I could play Kid Dracula, but I don't want to get a Famicom just for that...

The Rescue Rangers games on the NES are classics. I highly recommend them.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic