Forums

Topic: Your latest retro purchase

Posts 2,921 to 2,940 of 4,850

StarBoy91

@the_shpydar - I like Ys III: Wanderers from Ys too, even though I have my own qualms towards it (like the fact that even though it's in the Ys series canon it never once references Adol's first two adventures, or even the land of Ys which he saved in Ys II; what is the point of having the subtitle "Wanderers from Ys" if you're not even going to mention the very land that's in the subtitle at all? It just aggravates me personally; Nihon Falcom could've called anything else and it would've been fine). So Ys V made an impact on the future installments even though it was different from the first four games and turned off some gamers at the time (1995)? Huh, well there's the irony of the day.

So if Ys V was the impetus for how the series would become,........ how come it took Falcom eight years to make the sixth iteration (2003)? Eight years, that is a very long time gap between entries. I don't own the PlayStation Vita (if there's anything that makes me want to try it it's just one game, but even then I don't feel it's enough reason to experience it; there just aren't many games I'm interested in for the Vita atm) but I'm still upset at how the moment Ys: Memories of Celceta was released it replaced Ys IV: Mask of the Sun as the official fourth entry in the series canon. Maybe it's because I just liked the SFC game so much that it makes me upset, as it's really good (another thing that makes me upset: the Vita game is the only Ys IV that was officially released in the West). Another thing: it took twenty years for an Ys IV anything (Vita) to see the light of day in the West (how come Ys VI saw a Western release while Ys IV and Ys V did not? You'd think people would've been like "Hey, where the other two games?!?"); will the same fate befall Ys V (if Nihon Falcom plans on remaking that game again)?

To each their own

To each their own

8BitSamurai

ogo79 wrote:

the_shpydar wrote:

I am completely on board with this idea.
I wonder, do you have the original release R3, or the revision? The main difference from what i understand is that the system selector knob has 4 positions (NES, SNES, Genesis and an unlabeled 4th position which does nothing), while the revision just has the correct 3 positions. I do wonder why the labeling on mine is like that ("nES", "GEnESIS", "Snes").

the first r3 i had was the original. this second one ive had for years is the revision and yer correct about that 4th knob position lol

this would be the perfect time to start a rumor saying the 4th position knob turning lets you play sega cd games

It actually enables the Wii Balance Board

"rare download" Assistant

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6175-1689 | Nintendo Network ID: 8BitSamurai

the_shpydar

@WanderFan91

That's funny, the only reason i want a Vita is to play Celceta as well. My PSP is basically little more than my Ys machine, since i have the I & II remake, Felghana, VI and 7 all on the system.

The thing with Celceta vs IV i think mainly has to do with the fact that Falcom didn't do the two (or three, depending on how you look at it) previous versions of IV (Mask of the Sun and Dawn of Ys), and they just decided to clean up the canon and make a "definitive" version of the story (in the same way that they used the expanded story in Felghana to replace Wanderers).

I don't expect that we'll see another re-imagining, though i suppose it is certainly possible that V will get similar treatment. From what i understand, the gap between V and VI (which was actually closer to 7 years or less given development time) came about mainly because V wasn't received too well, so there was some debate over whether they would push ahead with the formula that they started in V, go back to basics, or try something different altogether. Obviously they were able to refine the system quite a bit for VI (though the game is not without its own problems), and more so in the games that came afterwards.

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong.
Urban Champion is GLORIOUS.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5973-1398-6394 | 3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | My Nintendo: theShpydar | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

StarBoy91

Yet Nihon Falcom had no problem retaining the title "Ys Seven" everywhere when the seventh installment came out years ago despite all this. I'm just trying to understand their mindset is all; Ys IV: Mask of the Sun, I understand why that game wasn't released in the West as there are a couple rather gruesome moments in it (I mean really gruesome). I don't know what Ys V's excuse is as I didn't notice anything all that objectionable in it while playing it (then again, they probably thought it wasn't going to be received with open arms if they went through with the Western release so I guess I can buy that... unless it's one of those "let's not localize because of vague bullcrap reasons" kind of games, in which case it's equally bullcrap), but it's just all rather curious (also curious: no rock music in the fifth installment! What is an Ys game without any rock in it?!).

My point is: there is a void that has not been filled for American releases (for awhile it was I, II, III, blank, blank, VI, Seven until 2012-2013 when IV finally made a Western apperance). They released the first three games, and then VI, after that Seven, and now their personal version of IV (Memories of Celceta). The only game that's missing an official American release now is V, though the likelihood of that happening is probably not as high as it was for the predecessor's reimagining.

To each their own

Edited on by StarBoy91

To each their own

the_shpydar

I think it's really a very simple answer — the Ys games have never been popular in the Western markets. I expect that after III was released, they simply decided it wasn't cost-feasible to translate, localize and release the next games (IV and V) in the West. They took another shot with VI, it worked out, and the rest is history.

The Shpydarloggery

Switch Friend Code: SW-5973-1398-6394 | 3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | My Nintendo: theShpydar | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

KingMike

Also, Ys V was released in December 1995 in Japan. Few publishers were probably willing to start work on localizing 16-bit RPGs by that point (the start of the 32-bit gen).
(we got Mario RPG, but well it's Mario so they weren't too worried about that not selling. And Lufia II, though it seems the game was delayed for awhile and still turned out a bit buggy. Maybe Lufia II made it because supposedly Taito was working on localizing it themselves in 1995 before they closed their official American subsidiary, so some work was probably already done.
Then again, Harvest Moon was probably a bigger risk and someone took it.

Though why they didn't localize the PS2 version I don't know. Were those not very good? (I've heard its possible.)

Edited on by KingMike

KingMike

StarBoy91

I guess the fact that the Nintendo 64 wouldn't come out until September '96 in America was a big advantage for Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars, having come four months prior (so at least gamers got to play that one before moving on to the next console). Another game that took a risk (not an RPG but for exemplification purposes): Kirby's Dream Land 3; I still think that it should've been made for the Nintendo 64 (oh, wait HAL did that: it was Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards and was nowhere near as good), but because it came out for the SNES a year after the Nintendo 64 came out fewer people got to play it at the time (at least compared to Kirby Super Star which most got to play because it came out before the Nintendo 64 made its debut).

To each their own

Edited on by StarBoy91

To each their own

KingMike

Oddly enough Kirby's Dream Land 3 apparently actually came out a few months earlier in North America than Japan, despite that it looks like there's almost no text but the title screen.
(reportedly in came out in like March 1998 in Japan. I know I got that game for Christmas the previous year.)

KingMike

NESforlife

I just broke out my NES and bought Legend of Zelda cause I had a craving to play again! I think I'll build up my collection of old NES games. Beside eBay, are there any other sites out there that I could get some deals?

NESforlife

StarBoy91

@KingMike - it's one of those rare cases in the '90s where the West received a game before Japan did, like The Lost Vikings, Maui Mallard, Cool Spot, Plok, and Goof Troop (though, heh heh, the Japanese version of this one has got three difficulty modes while the Western version only had one, to the extent of my knowledge as I only played the SFC equivalent Gūfii to Makkusu - Kaizoku Shima no Daibōken; there's more replay value with three difficulty modes anyway than just one anyway, even if you're playing as either Goofy, Max, or both) among others.

To each their own

Edited on by StarBoy91

To each their own

StarBoy91

Game Boy Color? Wow, I never knew that the first two Harry Potter movies got video game adaptations made for the Game Boy Color (I knew about the Game Boy Advance adaptations however).

Edited on by StarBoy91

To each their own

KingMike

As much as I wanted to hold off on buying for A LITTLE while, the latest attack on my wallet was POWERED by SPRIGGAN for Super Famicom.
Not sure how great it plays but it's certainly a nice looking game at the last. Looks like one of those games were I can pay now to not pay OGO later.
Placed an order at about $29 and shipping, looks to be about the going rate now.

KingMike

ogo79

KingMike wrote:

As much as I wanted to hold off on buying for A LITTLE while, the latest attack on my wallet was POWERED by SPRIGGAN for Super Famicom.
Not sure how great it plays but it's certainly a nice looking game at the last. Looks like one of those games were I can pay now to not pay OGO later.
Placed an order at about $29 and shipping, looks to be about the going rate now.

hey! hey! hey! thats not how this works! yer not following protocol.

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

the_shpydar

ogo79 wrote:

KingMike wrote:

hey! hey! hey! thats not how this works! yer not following protocol.

Well, now he just has to pay the "Failure to Pay Tribute to Ogo" penalty tax.
Untitled

The Shpydarloggery

StarBoy91

Dammit, KingMike, stop indirectly making me intrigued looking up and be curious somewhat of games that you bring up that I never heard of before! JK, but seriously, it does look good from what I saw of it on YouTube.

Well it took longer than I thought it would to arrive, but here is my latest retro purchase, currently sitting on my handy dandy Retro Duo:
Untitled
Yeah, this may be a surprise to no one considering that Elnard is the Japanese version of The 7th Saga, but after hearing that the difficulty in the Japanese original is more balanced than in the Western localization I thought "what the hell? I might be making a big mistake but what the hell?" Already I noticed differences after having just started it: Lejes has got an ugly color scheme (which is more colorful in the West), there's a new sound effect not vastly present in the Western version (the one where you access the menu, it sounds more bouncier here), some of the color schemes are off or different (in particular inside Lemele's Castle and inside the inn), and the alien character Wilme has got no pants (he's bare nude in the JP version; glad I didn't choose him, instead I chose Valsu). But, so far so good; can't wait to see if there are any other changes that were made the farther I get along. ................... Brain Lord is still the better Produce-developed SNES RPG. I'm just saying.

To each their own

Edited on by StarBoy91

To each their own

VmprHntrD

My latest purchases have been GBA games over the last month which I hadn't bothered with in quite a long time. I ended up getting Qwak, an amiga port by the original author of which only 300 copies were made. I also grabbed up some PAL/JP GBA releases and most just US titles, mostly stuff I had previously owned I wanted another crack at. I never did own Kurukuru Kururin or Hudson Collection Vol1 Bomberman1+2 before and they're cool.

I've picked off so far Castlevania COTM, Robotech(complete with toy), the 3 mentioned already, Sword of Mana, Gradius, FZero, Car battler joe, Super SF2X(jp ver, no save glitch), and DOOM off ebay. Also got ahold of FF5A(sealed to be opened) and FF6A too, Sim City 2000, and some others all on the cheap.

I also got a soldering iron for the first time about a week ago and I used it to repair a tabletop arcade, a handheld, and then the other day solder my first replacement battery so now Crystalis works (bought used with dead battery) for the first time in a very long time.

My Personal Video Game / Accessory List
http://tanooki.byethost16.com/

StarBoy91

@Pianomanfreak - I only played the SNES original The [not so aptly named] Great Circus Mystery starring Mickey & Minnie, and I honestly think it's a good game. I do recall a superficial mini-blurb printed about it in a 2003 Game Informer magazine written by Lisa for the GBA port, which was sorely lacking in credibility because, well:
Untitled
Really, "some of the worst jumping controls in memory"? [by 2003 standards] She's not even going to elaborate on that? Did something terrible happen while the game was being transitioned to the Game Boy Advance, or did she play a totally different game and wrote that blurb while she was in a cantankerous mood? I don't know because I didn't play the GBA port, she did (it would be informative for people that didn't play that if she stated why some elements didn't work). If it was due to the constant bouncing up and down of the cowboy get up on the horse, it can be worked around (and you can stop bouncing by holding down). I already scrutinized her mini-blurb enough when I referenced it talking about the SNES game on my blog for my 2014 birthday review (so I'll just leave it there), but the point still stands: if you're going to say something that's going to raise an eyebrow (especially if it's in a "professional" review), then you had better have a good reason for making a statement like that; if you say something that's going to raise an eyebrow but you don't give a reason (especially if it's in a "professional" review), then people won't take you seriously (just like I don't take Lisa's 2003 Game Informer review seriously because she didn't once make any attempt at elaboration; she shouldn't just leave it at that expecting people to take her word without opposition). "Bad Mickey", puh-lease! Give any game a score below 5, and then we can concur that it's bad. You can feel however you want about something, but if you elaborate on why you feel that way about something then we'll have a better understanding of where you're coming from.

To each their own

Edited on by StarBoy91

To each their own

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic