Forums

Topic: Your latest retro purchase

Posts 2,881 to 2,900 of 4,850

the_shpydar

I love coming home from work to see a package waiting for me. Especially on a Friday. So here's what i was waiting on ...

Untitled

Retron3!

After watching various reviews of the Retron5, there were too many issues that bothered me about the system to make it worthwhile to me. I may still get one in the future, but not any time soon. I need a system that plays SNES/SuperFami games, and i had also been considering getting a top-loader NES since my original toaster can be iffy. So, i decided to grab a R3 — especially since it was just around 1/3 of the price of a R5.

I've only just tested it a bit so far, just making sure all my Genny games work as well as NES. I don't own any SNES carts, but the one SuperFami game i have — Dragon Quest VI — works perfectly. Thus far, i am very pleased with this little system.

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong.
Urban Champion is GLORIOUS.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5973-1398-6394 | 3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | My Nintendo: theShpydar | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

KingMike

WanderFan91 wrote:

@KingMike - I don't know if that's the image you intended to show, but the link opens up an image of a four-pack Panasonic AAA batteries.

@the_shpydar - nice! H.E.R.O.'s a good game; played it on Activision Anthology

The point was the seller scammed me (and apparently others judging by their feedback) so indeed that link was a joke to show the "game" I got. Like someone ordered FF7 from them, got some largely-unwanted Lord of the Rings game.
I ordered another copy from another seller, and I got that one. Although I noticed it looks like it must be a newer print as the back is English-only (where it looks like other NA copies have English+French text) but this one also credits the Nintendo trademarks 2013. Future rare print variant?

My internet connection's been down a few days, so I took a risk at GameStop without checking prices: $30 for Pikmin 1, $3 for Alien Syndrome both Wii CIBs, and $15 each for both Mega Man ZX DS games, card-only probably because that's how much GS now cares about the DS.
Before it went down, last I ordered online was Odama, new. And a 1019 memory card. If I can, I'll probably transfer the stuff from my 251 (I can't even remember what I had on it. Maybe a Ocarina of Time end save? Maybe a WindWaker clear-save but I think I did that with my friend's Cube+card even though he gave up on the game years ago and never went back.) and let my JP Cube re-format it and finally play the two games I got for it.

Edited on by KingMike

KingMike

KingMike

More retro orders:
Ristar and Kid Chameleon Genesis carts (despite that I have the former on VC and I probably have multiple collection copies of the latter)
GB Genjin Collection loose (for the same price as both US Bonks I can get this combo cart that also has some JP-only board game). Though getting it with the original tin-can packaging would be cool, that's probably a bigger premium than I want to pay for.

KingMike

the_shpydar

ShpydarhaulTM time, cuz that's the way game chasin' go!

Untitled

Original SNES controller (fully cleaned inside and out, and tested to perfection)

Pirates of Dark Water (SNES): so psyched to play this. I was testing it at the shop and could barely stop myself because of beat-em-up goodness.
Batman Returns (SNES): need i say more? Batman wins. Batman ALWAYS wins.

The first SNES carts i have ever personally owned!

Untitled

Urban Champion (Famicom): had to buy this just on effin' principle.
Goonies (Famicom): not released in the US, so automatic buy!

Granted, i have no way of playing Fami games (until i get a Fami converter), but so what?

And now, the grandest part of today's haul:

Untitled
E.T. (Atari 2600) — 8 copies
Cuz awesome.
The retro shop dude even said to me, "Okay, so what are you building with these carts?"

The Shpydarloggery

Switch Friend Code: SW-5973-1398-6394 | 3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | My Nintendo: theShpydar | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

ogo79

@the_shpydar
definitely nice. all of it awesome.
also welcome to the snes pirates of dark water gang

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

the_shpydar

Finally nabbed a copy of:
Untitled
Beamrider (Atari 2600)

And with that, all i have left is the ever-elusive variant-label version of Skiing for the full Activision 2600 set!

The Shpydarloggery

ogo79

the_shpydar wrote:

Finally nabbed a copy of:
Untitled
Beamrider (Atari 2600)

And with that, all i have left is the ever-elusive variant-label version of Skiing for the full Activision 2600 set!

Untitled

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

KingMike

There's thunder and lightning outside my house.
I'm sure it'll find its way into my mailbox in a few days.

KingMike

ogo79

KingMike wrote:

There's thunder and lightning outside my house.
I'm sure it'll find its way into my mailbox in a few days.

you must have ordered a sega genesis, its just powerful like that.

the_shpydar wrote:

KingMike

Or an obscure Arkanoid clone for the NES (though I passed up its Famicom counterpart Family Block many times on another site before someone else bought it). I don't know if you heard of it, probably unlikely anybody else has.

I also ordered an obscure JP-exclusive RPG for the GBA, Chocovader. Sadly Namco probably has not turned the Sith Lord into the lord of milk chocolate. But it does seem to be some cartoony RPG with a turn-based system reminding me of Super Mario RPG, except adding some super-ultra-move bar that can only charged by making Timed Hits, or whatever they call them in this game.

KingMike

the_shpydar

KingMike wrote:

Chocovader. Sadly Namco probably has not turned the Sith Lord into the lord of milk chocolate.

Or HAVE they?
Untitled

The Shpydarloggery

KingMike

I received Thunder & Lightning for the NES, but the case was a bit cracked. Not enough to make it unplayable (thankfully) but I do have a hole in the top.
Kind of a cheap game (probably would pay what it's worth if I wanted to try to exchange) so I thought I'd just swap cases with another game, so I went to a store to find something.
I had intended to use Track & Field II, but I also picked up a Fester's Quest I thought about playing, and I realize that one is in pretty crappy shape as well (label with fading and major tears and writing on the back) possibly making a better swap choice.
And I also got a loose FireShark for Genesis.

Received a Mega Man ZX cover art/manual I ordered. Put in the case of a card-only Rocket Slime (I remember right after I got that I had found anoter NIB at nearly the same price) I have and realize those GameStop cases are kind of cheap compared to the official.

KingMike

edhe

Earlier today, I received my copy of P.T.O II, with box and manual (61 pages of in-depth guidance - those were the days).

At the moment, it might as well be a pop tart because I'm yet to have received a SNES to play it on, let alone send it back off to be modded to allow it to play NTSC games on it.

But in the meantime, I'm going to give RotTK IV a go on my Wii U. I never really gave it a good shake, and it'll help me get the hang of playing an in-depth KOEI strategy game.

I plan to get Liberty or Death and KOEI's Civilization port for the SNES down the line. I played both games (plus one of the P.T.O games - I can't remember which) many years ago on an emulator, so I'm looking forward to playing them as they were intended (except I'll be sticking my finger up at the man and playing them on a PAL SNES).

My Backloggery.
Follow a cow?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6650-8335-1908 | 3DS Friend Code: 4682-8598-1260

KingMike

CanisWolfred wrote:

I almost bought FireShark once. Let me know how it is if you get to it this century.

I'm going on the assumption it's like SkyShark for the NES, except in 16-bit and probably not as good music.
(that was kind of fun, but wow if there was ever a pattern shooter)

KingMike

Ryno

WaveBoy wrote:

A 1988 'Applause' 9" ET Plushie!
This would go nicely with The_Shpyder's Mountain of crusty E.T Atari 2600 carts.

Untitled

And if you're not down with that, we got 2 words 4 ya! SUCK IT!
Untitled

Sorry, my 90's wrestling fan self came out a little bit there.

Edited on by Ryno

To blessed to be stressed.
80's music makes me feel fabulous.
What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

Nintendo Network ID: Choryzo

KingMike

Again way down on the backlog...
I've been hearing, since it was released, Astro Boy for GBA was one of the good license games. So I figure I better pick it up while the price is kind of up, before it becomes a Ninja 5-0 or something. Though I still have the SFC game lying around as well.
Did not buy the FC version as that one just seems BAD. Which a shame because it's by the company you'd expect to do the best job.

I think there's only one but I bought a Goemon game for PS2. Isn't that the one where Goemon ultimately lost his epilogue battle against SCEA?

KingMike

StarBoy91

@Pianomanfreak - it's funny how Pac-Man World would make an appearance on the Game Boy Advance five years after its PlayStation One debut (that is quite a time gap). Only played the PSX original, but I looked up that some features were left out in the GBA port.

As for my latest retro purchase, today I got the Japanese Game Boy cart Tokyo Disneyland: Fantasy Tour. Funny thing: when I saw the Tomy logo on there, I thought (since they published a 16-bit Tokyo Disneyland) after having seen some platforming images on Google: "Oh, I guess this must be a little in league with the Super Famicom game Mickey no Tokyo Disneyland Daibōken; I'm cool with that, as it's really a good game." But upon playing I realized it really wasn't, which had me absolutely floored. So I Googled "Game Boy Tokyo Disneyland" (since you can't trust Wikipedia to keep track of every single thing, even Japan-exclusive Disney games) and I discovered another one. There are two Tokyo Disneyland games for the Game Boy? I don't believe it! Oh well, I guess I can't complain as the game I got is not too bad (it's just very different as it's a series of mini-games): plus any classic Game Boy game that's Super Game Boy compatible is okay with me (unless it's a piece of crap like Toy Story for the Game Boy). Currently the Game Boy Tokyo Disneyland platformer isn't on eBay (from what I Googled it's the one with the green banner while the mini-game Tokyo Disneyland has a yellow banner), but if it pops up hopefully I'll be able to attain it, as I am curious as to how the balloon mechanics would've functioned outside the Super Famicom.

To each their own

Edited on by StarBoy91

To each their own

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic