Forums

Topic: Your latest retro purchase

Posts 2,861 to 2,880 of 4,850

GanonDorf

the_shpydar wrote:

@GanonDorf
Is that Golden Axe Warrior for Sega Master System I see there? Very nice, I am jealous. That game is not only hard to find, but usually command a very hefty price. Kudos on your haul!

Yes it is! Unfortunately cart only and not in top condition. But I only paid €12, so I'm very happy

GanonDorf

mkwfreak

Not a purchase, but i recently transferred out of my special ed school, and a gift i got was a 2nd snes with the following games

DKC 1(DEAD BATTERY)
DKC 3
Uniracers(DEAD BATTERY)
SF2(X2)
SF2T
Aero the Acro-Bat
SimCity
C2: Judgement Clay
Warlock
Star Fox

Already Had:
Super Mario World
Taz-Mania

How good is this haul that cost me no actual money?

mkwfreak

KingMike

So I ordered a CIB copy of Penguin Land for Master System.
For my little black square, I bought both Baten Kaitos games. Card battle doesn't sound that interesting but hopefully Monolith turned out something decent? I also ordered Darkened Skye. I know with that one I can only hope it's decent. Probably the best one can expect out of an RPG(?) featuring the magical power of Skittles.

KingMike

ogo79

will waveboy join the bucky o hare nes club?
stay tuned next time!

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

StarBoy91

I just got Puzzle'n Desu! for the Super Famicom today. Funny thing about this game: from what I gather it's pretty affordable (didn't spend that much on it) but at the same time it's rather rare (as not many copies appear on eBay, or rather it doesn't pop up on eBay often). So when I saw that a cart was available, I decided to take a chance and go for it. And I can honestly say that after years of curiosity it was well worth it, for (as far as I played) it's pretty cool. ... Not too certain what the "17" on the cart signifies; I mean, I know that a company must keep track of their games, but assuming that this is (Nichibitsu) Nihon Bussan's seventeenth game for the Super Famicom, that's a little too much if that's the case. No company would do that.... checks eBay on other Nichibitsu/Nihon Bussan titles to verify Oh wow, I stand corrected! I've just noticed a few other SFC Nihon Bussan carts that had the same shield symbol on it but different numbers (such as 2 and 5). Pa-ree-ttee unusual; makes me wonder how many Super Famicom games they ended up making in total.

So let's see now: at this point my total of Nintendo 16-bit imports is thirty Super Famicom carts from Japan and one Super Nintendo cart from Europe (Super Morph). As much as I would like to continue, I think I need to take a little break from importing Ninty 16-bit carts (as I've been doing that a lot recently)... at least for now. I should probably consider for my next retro purchase either an NES game (haven't gotten a new one since Blades of Steel several years ago), a PlayStation One game, or perhaps a Genesis game (I wouldn't mind giving Puggsy a go, or even Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Hyperstone Heist (the Sega 16-bit version of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time... more or less)), as I haven't a bought a new one of these in awhile.

To each their own

Edited on by StarBoy91

To each their own

unrandomsam

WaveBoy wrote:

Ryno wrote:

Never was a big fan of Mickey so skipped out on him at every opportunity.

Anywho... Got some NES games and boy does my wallet hurt.

Untitled
Untitled

Hot damn! Mega Man CIB. Color me jealous. I know i'm in the monitory, but i enjoyed this one a lot more than the overrated MM3....Bomb man's stage was my first. Which is also backed up by one of the greatest tunes in the entire series imo.

But yup, I was a pretty big fan of the Bucky 'O hare cartoon back in the day, also collected the action figures and of course rented the NES-game, which was surprisingly pretty solid! and pretty irritating in terms of brute challenge. Then again, i guess it can't be surprising that it turned out to be a winner considering it's baring the Konami label down in the corner.

Here's an old school vintage GamePro TV reveiew hosted by JD Rotch and the B-man, which is quite possibly the coolest host to ever grace anything gaming related, he embodies the late 80's and early 90's surfer image quite well.

Bucky 'O hare review starts at 9:10

Back then, Capcom and Konami did no wrong, these days? it's the complete bloody opposite. couple of cash grabbing western sell outs that have either ditched their key classic franchises or have completely morphed them into fitting in with the God of War/Call of Duty/Zombie Smashing western ADD teeny bop kiddie crowd.. They're a mere shadow of their former selves.

Capcom and Konami did loads wrong at that time. Konami used half the rom size for all the none Japan releases. The ports Capcom did themselves were terrible. (The Sega or NEC Avenue reprogrammed games were far superior.) Konami also chose to release the inferior NES versions over the good TG16 versions time after time. (NIntendo of America also butchered the Castlevania games). Sprite flicker slowdown they were common place. Capcom was unbeatable at the time but only in the Arcades. Konami was good with the Japanese releases and in the Arcades. (Odd exceptions of good console exclusives like Axelay and Demon's Crest.) But mainly they were totally unacceptable (See Super Ghouls and Ghosts - sprite flicker and slowdown not acceptable then or now).

“30fps Is Not a Good Artistic Decision, It's a Failure”
Freedom of the press is for those who happen to own one.

StarBoy91

@unrandomsam
Yeah, Capcom and Konami, now matter how good or bad their games were, were not a perfect company by a longshot. When it came to making ports, bear in mind that they had to take into account the NES and SNES consoles' limitations, so some changes would have to be made and some elements would be excised in the transitions. You can play Super Ghouls'n Ghosts without all the slowdown, it's just that it's only available on one of the Capcom Classics Collection compilations for the PlayStation 2 and on Capcom Classics Collection Reloaded for the PlayStation Portable. And yeah, I'll concede there was some flicker here and there when it came to the NES games, but I didn't mind it particularly because I liked the games for what they were and could look past that because of it. Capcom and Konami were also king when it came to licensed titles, and most of their (8 and) 16-bit console exclusives I thought were good (few exceptions included Final Fight 2, Mega Man VII, et al). The thing about the TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine consoles was that it was owned in part by NEC, and it wasn't as popular as the NES and SNES consoles (or rather as common). While I'm more lenient about it and do not see it from a pessimistic point of view, I do respect your opinion. You seem to have a strong, passionate view about this and that's cool.

To each their own

Also, just for the record: Axelay is overrated.

Edited on by StarBoy91

To each their own

mkwfreak

I started collecting in November, here is my collection so far.

Untitled

2 SNES, 4 controllers (1 AM)
1 Model 1 Genesis, 2 controllers

GENESIS
Sonic 1 2 & Knuckles
Madden 93
NHL Hockey
Columns
NBA Jam
Mortal Kombat 2
NFL 95
Super Battleship
Sports Talk Baseball
Ms. Pac-Man
Lakers/Celtics NBA Playoffs
FIFA International Soccer

SNES
DKC 1+3
Star Fox
SimCity
Super Mario World
Taz-Mania
Warlock
Aero the Acro-Bat
Uniracers
2 copies of Street Fighter II
Street Fighter II Turbo
ClayFighter 2: Judgement Clay

Any thoughts?

mkwfreak

StarBoy91

@mkwfreak - wow, two copies of the same game? As for the haul, it's not bad. Haven't played NBA Jam in over a decade and a half, but from what I remember it was fun. Also, Columns is a cool puzzler. And I noticed that you got the original Star Fox... that's one I'm still missing out on.

To each their own

KingMike

WanderFan91 wrote:

I just got Puzzle'n Desu! for the Super Famicom today. Funny thing about this game: from what I gather it's pretty affordable (didn't spend that much on it) but at the same time it's rather rare (as not many copies appear on eBay, or rather it doesn't pop up on eBay often). So when I saw that a cart was available, I decided to take a chance and go for it. And I can honestly say that after years of curiosity it was well worth it, for (as far as I played) it's pretty cool. ... Not too certain what the "17" on the cart signifies; I mean, I know that a company must keep track of their games, but assuming that this is (Nichibitsu) Nihon Bussan's seventeenth game for the Super Famicom, that's a little too much if that's the case. No company would do that.... checks eBay on other Nichibitsu/Nihon Bussan titles to verify Oh wow, I stand corrected! I've just noticed a few other SFC Nihon Bussan carts that had the same shield symbol on it but different numbers (such as 2 and 5). Pa-ree-ttee unusual; makes me wonder how many Super Famicom games they ended up making in total.

So let's see now: at this point my total of Nintendo 16-bit imports is thirty Super Famicom carts from Japan and one Super Nintendo cart from Europe (Super Morph). As much as I would like to continue, I think I need to take a little break from importing Ninty 16-bit carts (as I've been doing that a lot recently)... at least for now. I should probably consider for my next retro purchase either an NES game (haven't gotten a new one since Blades of Steel several years ago), a PlayStation One game, or perhaps a Genesis game (I wouldn't mind giving Puggsy a go, or even Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Hyperstone Heist (the Sega 16-bit version of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time... more or less)), as I haven't a bought a new one of these in awhile.

To each their own

Indeed Puzzle'n Desu is a block-pushing puzzle game. It also contains backup memory to let you create a few of your own levels.
Puzzle'n Desu is indeed Nichibutsu's 17th puzzle game (though the 17 logo is also used on bootleg copies of Nightmare Busters, and not the recent licensed reprint. I don't know if Nightmare Busters was supposed to be their 17th game, as the timeline does roughly match up, or the pirates just arbitrarily chose that logo.
I hear it's a bit uncommon, but even more expensive to get a CIB copy (so mine is only loose).

Although Nichibutsu made a few games on the Famicom that look good like Booby Kids (yeah silly name) and Cosmo Police Galivan (a Metroid clone, maybe), sadly in the late 80s they turned to making a boatload of Mahjong games (seriously does even Japan need that much mahjong? ), canceling a neat-looking action/strategy game called Spirit Animal Genesis.

As to releasing over 17 games... by my count Namco released 83 Famicom cartridge games (though they stopped counting after #18, which still doesn't count the Macross game co-published with Bandai). Taito's last game was #48 (the Jetsons) and Irem's 29 (Hammerin' Harry 2). Konami had to have published at least 50 games across cart and disk.
Hudson probably published at least that many PCE games.

However as to my purchases...
I'm having a little trouble getting my copy of Disgaea DS to work. Can anyone take a look if there's something wrong with it?
http://www.campsolution.com/ProductImages/release20051113/DSC...
(yeah, so I got those as a "gift" but checking feedback there's a good sign the seller could be a scammer.
So I ordered another copy. I'll wait to see on this first one but I have a feeling I'll be reporting them.)

Edited on by KingMike

KingMike

StarBoy91

I noticed as soon as I played it when I chose one of the different options in Puzzle'n Desu!, and it's actually pretty fun!

I hope things work out for you with Disgaea DS, KingMike.

Edited on by StarBoy91

To each their own

the_shpydar

One more closer ...

Untitled
H.E.R.O. (Atari 2600)
All i have left for the Activision 2600 collection is Beamrider and the elusive variant-label version of Skiing. So. Close!

I also have a something special coming from UPS that hopefully should be here by this weekend ... stay tuned!

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong.
Urban Champion is GLORIOUS.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5973-1398-6394 | 3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | My Nintendo: theShpydar | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

CanisWolfred

Grabbed Warlocked for the GBC. It'll probably suck because it's a really old RTS, but it was, like, $8, so why not? Speaking of $8, is Heroes of Might & Magic for the GBC any good?

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

ogo79

the_shpydar wrote:

I also have a something special coming from UPS that hopefully should be here by this weekend ... stay tuned!

yeah when i ordered my transparent banana hammock from the same seller as you did, i was really surprised to see how quickly it arrived.
now we can match when we go to comic con this time.

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

StarBoy91

@KingMike - I don't know if that's the image you intended to show, but the link opens up an image of a four-pack Panasonic AAA batteries.

@the_shpydar - nice! H.E.R.O.'s a good game; played it on Activision Anthology

Edited on by StarBoy91

To each their own

the_shpydar

ogo79 wrote:

the_shpydar wrote:

yeah when i ordered my transparent banana hammock from the same seller as you did, i was really surprised to see how quickly it arrived.
now we can match when we go to comic con this time.

How'd you know?

@WanderFan91
Yeah, H.E.R.O. is an excellent game, one of the best on Atari. I've also played it on the Anthology (as well as through other MAGICAL means), but finally was able to snag a copy of the cart.

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong.
Urban Champion is GLORIOUS.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5973-1398-6394 | 3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | My Nintendo: theShpydar | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic