Forums

Topic: Your latest retro purchase

Posts 2,741 to 2,760 of 4,850

KingMike

I'm not certain as it's been awhile since I played SoulBlazer, but I wonder if they made it harder in the west.
I played SoulBlader a couple years ago and it seemed like the bosses were dying a lot easier than I remembered (I know the first boss was modified. In Blader, the middle bridge was solid so you could just walk up and slash away.)

KingMike

StarBoy91

The only difference I noticed that affected the gameplay was the fact that Solid Arm's boss encounter where in the West there was a conveyer belt while in the Japanese original there was none in the middle. It's been months since I've played SoulBlazer, but I still managed to beat the Japanese version (even though it was my first time) in just one life (I almost lost a life during the Deathtoll boss fight, but I made it through a-okay). There were a few cosmetic changes too (like the mermaid queen and the Poseidon boss, if you get my drift), and in King Magridd's castle there are fireball-spewing cannons that had different shapes--in the Western version they looked like hollowed out skulls while in the Japanese version I can barely make out what they look like but they almost look like demonic heads. So, yeah, you could say that SoulBlazer was made harder than the Japanese version, but not by much (as it's essentially the same otherwise).

Now ActRaiser on the other hand: I'm wondering if Quintet had any confidence in American gamers at all, because it was made way too easy compared the Japanese version Actraiser (less enemies, less spikes, less amount of hits it takes to defeat specific enemies, some bosses made easier). The Japanese version is a little harder yes, but not impossible (same for ActRaiser 2, but that's irrelevant). The only thing that was easier in the Japanese version was the town simulation acts, where the cyan dragons and red demons take one hit less to dispose of than the American version (also these segments happen a lot quicker in the Japanese version, with less waiting time). There is also a Special mode, which is like the American version's Professional! mode if it had everything that was in the Japanese version (no magic, no sims, no continues). What I noticed which took me awhile to figure out was that the magic is assigned to different buttons: in the American version it was assigned to one button (A or X, I forget which) while in the Japanese version you had to press up and Y at the same time (like Castlevania). I found that very interesting, and there are so many cosmetic changes that were made for the Western version (most of which I'm okay with, it's the fact that its difficulty was stripped down that gets to me). Still fun, even if overexposed (it's gotten a modified arcade version, a modified pre iPhone version for a phone, and a rerelease for the Nintendo Wii Virtual Console; the fact that it's the only Quintet SFC/SNES game out of six that got a single rerelease really bothers me... does no one have equal demand for the other games, or is Square-Enix (or whoever holds the license) under the impression that the crowd only wants to play this Quintet game in particular? 'cause that is not a good mindset, as the other games are worth trying too).

Before I sign off, I'll express my own opinion on which of these is superior in a simple way:
Actraiser > ActRaiser 2 > ActRaiser

To each their own.

Edited on by StarBoy91

To each their own

KingMike

Yet the PAL version of ActRaiser contains a difficulty select and also Action Mode (action-only, but it can played anytime and you start with minimum HP but can find an exclusive Max HP-up item as well as magic as items. I think you get 1-Ups every 20,000 points in that mode but also no continues.
So it's like the Nintendo Super System version, but like the other Quintet games only the sound was changed to 50hz).

KingMike

StarBoy91

True, but all the elements that made the Japanese version a tad difficult were likely not retained for the European version either (as usually Western versions share the same qualities that differentiate themselves from the Japanese original, whether it be the American version or the European version; only in the Japanese version do headless spearmen and ogres with shields take five hits to kill, the tree midboss sends out tiny spawn after you, and some of the areas have spikes in specific platforms and portions, plus the boss in Maranha (Marana in the SFC cart) Act 1 was more challenging as it only popped its head out every two-three seconds as opposed to just keeping its head out the whole time). The Professional! mode in the American version ActRaiser may have tried to get as close to the original Japanese version in terms of difficulty (and I commend it for that), but after having played it in its original format I think it pales in comparison to how difficult Actraiser is in SFC form.

Edited on by StarBoy91

To each their own

KingMike

Bought a Power Base Convertor from a store, even though I knew before it would have issues fitting in my model 2 Genesis. I figured it's better to buy now, worry about that later? Oh well, picked up one of the cheaper CIB games to try with it when I do find a solution, Cyborg Hunter.
Also got a couple loose Genesis games, Target Earth for $5 (dirty label, part of a GameStop label left on but of course the price part was torn off) and Eternal Champions for 2 (loose cart, rough label with rental stickers). I guess the former's a deal.
For the NES, Twin Eagle (licensed). Might see if my friend is interested in playing of the few co-op shooters on the NES. Also Vice: Project Doom for $10 loose with the top label peeling (how to fix?). A dupe I will likely gift.

KingMike

MuchoMochi

Just picked up a completed mint copy of Chrono Trigger DS, for 20 dollars, never played it before and so far I'm really enjoying it!

EDIT: What I thought was awesome that it was still there, the little promotional poster for Chrono Trigger!

Edited on by MuchoMochi

3DS Friend Code: 2895-6767-5334

anthonypokemon

recently i bought NES Batman for 2.76 free shipping and legend of zelda orcarina of time (grey cart) for 24.89 free shipping and a friend of mine gave me Majora's Mask for free since i got ocarina of time and it has a 3D Label

Edited on by anthonypokemon

anthonypokemon

RancidVomit86

MK:DD - $5
2 SNES controllers - $5
SNES AC adapter - $2
2 SNES games - $2

Untitled

Battle.net - Dayman
Steam - RancidVomit86
PSN - RancidVomit86

Where my friends and I usually get stupid:
https://www.twitch.tv/MUDWALLHOLLER - Come by hang and visit our Discord. The link for Discord is on the Twitch page.

Let's Go Buffalo!

anthonypokemon

WaveBoy wrote:

anthonypokemon wrote:

recently i bought NES Batman for 2.76 free shipping and legend of zelda orcarina of time (grey cart) for 24.89 free shipping and a friend of mine gave me Majora's Mask for free since i got ocarina of time and it has a 3D Label

Am i the only one doesn't give a batman booger about the new 3D Batman Arkham 'whateverZ' games? I just can't for the life of me get into them and the mindless button mashing 3D beat em up combat doesn't exactly make these extremely popular stealth-riddled bat turds any more enticing. It would of been nice if they let you use the Wii remote to shoot your Bat-a-rang, but alas' you're once again limited to the unsatisfying click of a button, unsatisfying at least in this clase.

The only Batman games i'll ever needs are Batman(NES) and Batman Returns(SNES) Anyhoo! I just picked up a couple More Nes retro nuggets, i just need to find my Camera cable so i can upload some pictures. One's loose and the other's actually CIB. The cover's so nice, I'd buy it twice.
http://media3.giphy.com/media/62PP2yEIAZF6g/giphy.gif

same here i like batman NES and Batman returns snes i never got into the Arkham games even though i have a PS3 just never played them

anthonypokemon

KingMike

Online orders:
Chachamaru Boukenki 3: Tower of the Abyss. No, it is not about a ninja doing dance moves. I tested it a bit, and it seems to be an action-RPG. I'm assuming it's more puzzle-oriented as it seems all enemies are gone forever once defeated, making grinding impossible. Complete Game Boy import. Looks to be a bit uncommon.
Dashin' Desperados: I don't know, some cartoony vs. platformer for the Genesis. Like $7 and shipping for cart and case.
Gargoyles: Ordered this one for $8. Guess this one's on the rise like Genesis stuff seems to be doing. Rising to like $20 on ebay. Could the Nostalgia Critic be at fault for that?
Picked up a cart-only Ghouls 'n Ghosts I passed up last week at a store for like $15. Seems to be about the going rate these days. Going to have to go with this one because aside from VC, you still can't do it on Nintendo (but you can on SuperGrafx!?)
And while I was grabbing that, I saw Suzuka 8 Hours (another Namco racer). I guess you can't really pass up any non-sports SNES game boxed (everything but the manual) for $5 these days.

KingMike

StarBoy91

So an internet celebrity's appraisal of a show causes a rise in sale for the video game adaptation? You don't say.
All joking aside though, I remember having looked up that Gargoyles was intended to be made for the SNES as well, but it was cancelled. Not just that, though; several MegaDrive/Genesis titles were at one point meant to see SNES releases before cancellation (or never to be made despite planning) for one reason or another: Rocket Knight Adventures, Spot Goes to Hollywood, Global Gladiators, Puggsy, Pocahontas, et al. It's all very fascinating stuff.

To each their own

KingMike

If I remember, Gargoyles was confirmed canceled on SNES because the Genesis version sold poorly (pretty sure I read that in GamePro). I'd suspect Pocahontas as well. (reportedly Disney wanted to make Pocahontas a backup RAM game even though they only needed a few bytes. The sort of thing a password system SHOULD be used for.)
Actually, Disney only published Toy Story for SNES (after entering the console publishing business just as the 32-bit consoles were released). It seems Disney canceled their entire SNES lineup until Nintendo decided to rescue Pinocchio and Maui Mallard.
I'm kind of surprised that Spot Goes to Hollywood was canceled on SNES over Genesis. I know it was a very late release, but wasn't that after Sega had largely surrendered the 16-bit war?

KingMike

StarBoy91

Kinda-sorta, yeah. Cool Spot's isometric sequel Spot Goes to Hollywood was made for the MegaDrive/Genesis in late 1995 (the Saturn and PlayStation versions were made the following year). A shame that the SNES version wasn't made as well, I would've loved to have experienced that game in that format as well; still, the PlayStation version I played isn't bad imo, but really flawed (I understand why others wouldn't like this game, the difficulty combined with the isometric system speaks for itself).

To each their own

the_shpydar

::cue New Age Outlaws theme music::
Oh you didn't know?
Your @$$ better caaaaaaaallll somebodyyyyyy ... cuz it's that time once again, time for more Shpydargets!

Untitled
Atari 2600: Boxing, Ghostbusters and Space Shuttle, all blue label variant Activision carts.
Only 9 carts left for the full Activision 2600 set!

Untitled
Sega Genesis: Valis III
Another recommendation from everyone's favorite sexy gamer, @ogo79. I've only barely played it so far, but it is so excellent. Music, graphics, gameplay are all seriously top-notch. Thanks for the recommendation, my brother!

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong.
Urban Champion is GLORIOUS.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5973-1398-6394 | 3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | My Nintendo: theShpydar | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

KingMike

So Valis III is the one that doesn't suck? I hear Valis IV PCE-CD is pretty good but the SNES version is pretty average.

KingMike

ogo79

the_shpydar wrote:

Untitled
Sega Genesis: Valis III
Another recommendation from everyone's favorite sexy gamer, @ogo79. I've only barely played it so far, but it is so excellent. Music, graphics, gameplay are all seriously top-notch. Thanks for the recommendation, my brother!

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

KingMike

Oh, I think I might've seen it before. I think there was just one minor complaint: in the cutscenes, out of all the buttons on the controller they pick Start as the scroll text button! (AVGN Batman Forever)

Okay, I picked up a cart on amazon. It says it's not a nice-looking copy, but I guess it can't be bad for like $10 shipped.

KingMike

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic