Retro Forum

Topic: Your latest retro purchase

Showing 2,601 to 2,620 of 3,426

AuthorMessage

ogo79

2,601. Posted:

KingMike wrote:

Ryno wrote:

@CountWavula & @ogo79: Great, I'm pretty sure the GamePad doubles as an 80's style telephone so let's get this party line started!

Who would be dumb enough to pay $3 to make a phone call to total strangers? :P

raises hand

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

AuthorMessage

WanderFan91

2,602. Posted:

After having gotten a penchant to try some more beat'em ups after having replayed the first Streets of Rage (it's still okay, imo, but despite its stiffness at times and the fact that it hasn't aged well compared to its two successors it definitely is paced quicker and decently, not to mention it's a little fun to play, unlike some other beat'em up out there that plays 100% the same way as the first title and drags on as a result of its lack of freshness and the fact that many bosses and some of the enemies later on have too health much to dispose of that Capcom may as well have called it Final Fight 11/2... cough Final Fight 2 cough to each their own), I decided to order some other games in the genre that I think are going to be fun. :)

Some of the beat'em ups I thought of ordering were Jaleco's Rushing Beat trilogy for the Super Famicom. Or as many Western gamers will recognize them as: Rival Turf! (Rushing Beat), Brawl Brothers (Rushing Beat Ran), and The Peace Keepers (Rushing Beat Shura)! :) Now, you must be wondering why I opted for the Japanese versions as opposed to the Western versions that we were given so long ago? Well, various reasons actually: for starters, I looked up that these games were altered to an extent for their localized versions compared to what was originally found in the Japanese originals, so I was curious to see how they were like. As for another reason, I ordered Final Fight 2 last year for the Super Famicom, so I figured why not do the same for these beat'em ups (thank goodness I have a Retro Duo console that can enable me to play Super Famicom carts otherwise I would've missed out on so many fun titles)? I thought, may as well. Also, in Japan these games are clearly related but Jaleco chose to not make it so for the Western versions by altering the titles and other elements. Finally, I chose the Japanese versions to order out of purism reasons. Seriously though, Jaleco, "The Peace Keepers"? Oh yeah, that title doesn't sound at all ironic in any way whatsoever; let's maintain the peace through the ways of violence, are you seriously kidding me? :|

Sorry, I dragged on with that paragraph . Anyway, last night I finally went to eBay and ordered the two-in-one bundle of Rushing Beat Ran and Rushing Beat Shura, so in a few days I'll be experiencing those titles. Whoo-hoo, can't wait! :) Now, this is both a good thing and a bad thing. It's bad because I really wanted to try this series in its chronological order with the first Rushing Beat first, but by the time I checked it wasn't available; at first I thought of ordering it and Rushing Beat Ran at the same time individually, but it simply wasn't so. :( Then I found the two-in-one bundle and I thought it would be a better choice; in theory I could've ordered it alongside the first game, but I didn't want to spend too much money at once (and besides, with games from Japan it usually takes awhile for them to arrive, and I doubt that both orders would've arrived on the same day). The reason this purchase is a good thing is because I got to buy the most expensive entry in the series (Shura) alongside the ... not as expensive entry (Ran) and considering its rather decent (less than $50) price tag for the bundle I thought it was good deal. :) I guess I'll try the first Rushing Beat some other day; definitely am curious about that one too.

Edited on by WanderFan91

AKA StarBoy91
Ah, irony
Wanderloggery | StarBlog
Massive retro gamer with a heart <3
Big Wander Over Yonder fan
RIP Robin Williams 1951-2014 =(
23 and proud =)
To each their own

AuthorMessage

Tasuki

2,603. Posted:

@WanderFan91: I have only played the NA versions of those games although there is a code in the NA Brawl Brothers that lets you play the Japanese version, so I guess you can say I played the Japanese version of Brawl Brothers, I have to say they were decent games. Alot of people didnt like them cause I will admit the graphics and sounds are a bit inferior compared to other arcade brawlers on the SNES like Final Fight or Kind of Dragons but I would put them on the same page as Streets of Rage. Also I think people failed to see how they connected in NA, But still they are a fun bunch of games in fact I have Rival Turf and Brawl Brothers myself. I think you will enjoy them.

Pushsquare moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

AuthorMessage

WaveBoy

2,604. Posted:

ogo79 wrote:

KingMike wrote:

Ryno wrote:

@CountWavula & @ogo79: Great, I'm pretty sure the GamePad doubles as an 80's style telephone so let's get this party line started!

raises hand

Wanders off to eBay to seek down five copies of this game

Edited on by WaveBoy

Currently Playing: Mega Man V!
We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!
80s FANATIC & King of NES Tekkidome!

AuthorMessage

MAB

2,605. Posted:

CountWavula wrote:

ogo79 wrote:

KingMike wrote:

Ryno wrote:

raises hand

Untitled
Those girls are in for a rather nasty surprise when they find out who likes them on the other end ;)

MAB

AuthorMessage

WaveBoy

2,606. Posted:

MadAussieBloke wrote:

CountWavula wrote:

ogo79 wrote:

KingMike wrote:

Ryno wrote:

raises hand

Untitled
Those girls are in for a rather nasty surprise when they find out who likes them on the other end ;)

It has already begun. 0:10 - 0:50 ;)

We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!

AuthorMessage

MAB

2,607. Posted:

CountWavula wrote:

MadAussieBloke wrote:

CountWavula wrote:

ogo79 wrote:

KingMike wrote:

Ryno wrote:

raises hand

Untitled

It has already begun. 0:10 - 0:50 ;)

Freddy would have nightmares trying to deal with the horrors of the cell phone generation ;)

MAB

AuthorMessage

DestinyMan

2,608. Posted:

Untitled
I got Donkey Kong Land at a downtown pawn shop for $5. I actually had the game before, but traded it away because the game was too hard for me. After hearing the soundtrack online recently, it made me regret that choice and now I have it back. The game does look unique and I'm sure it was pretty stunning back in the day when a techincally graphical game like Donkey Kong Country got a sem-sequel on the rather simple Game Boy. The music also kicks butt, but that's to be expected since it's David Wise + 8-bit music.

Edited on by DestinyMan

Miiverse
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/users/DestinyMan

3DS Friend Code: 2449-4663-7817 | Nintendo Network ID: DestinyMan

AuthorMessage

ogo79

2,609. Posted:

which door am i at?
woops wrong site/forum

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

2,610. Posted:

Thank you for crashing my browser guys. Twice.

Anyways, I picked up Clash at Demonhead and The Guardian Legend, both for a good price. Clash at Demonhead is pretty confusing, though, I'll need a map at the very least.

Doesn't talk about games.

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

Ryno

2,611. Posted:

@CanisWolfred: Excellent choices! Yeah, Clash at Demonhead is a bit of a pain though I still had a good time with it.

To blessed to be stressed.
I miss Japanese games, the good stuff... Games that are imaginative, have good and unique gameplay, a great soundtrack, and replay value.
What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

Nintendo Network ID: Choryzo

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

2,612. Posted:

Ryno wrote:

@CanisWolfred: Excellent choices! Yeah, Clash at Demonhead is a bit of a pain though I still had a good time with it.

It's by no means bad or anything, but I was astounded by the crazy map when I beat the first level. The controls also don't feel that smooth, but I'm getting used to it.

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

WanderFan91

2,613. Posted:

So guess what's arrived in my mail a few days ago (on the 12th)? :) ... Yeah, there's no point in asking, since I'll reveal the answer anyway, but Rushing Beat Ran — Fukusei Toshi (Brawl Brothers) and Rushing Beat Shura (The Peace Keepers) for the Super Famicom have come! :) I've been playing them a bit extensively (I haven't completed either game with all characters or difficulty settings yet, but I have beat them a few times), in a sense.

And from where I stand: they came, I saw, and (for the most part) they kick posterior! :) I still feel bad that I didn't play the original Rushing Beat (Rival Turf!) first since I try so hard nowadays not to jump into a game series out of their respective order; it's such a bad habit, to tell you the truth. :( Though I suppose I can't complain too much: I did get two games in one deal, so I guess that's consolation enough (if that makes sense at all). And after having played these, I can honestly say that; I like these games. They're not flawless by any means nor are they masterpieces, but man are they a lot of fun to play while they last (and both are interesting in their very own way).

Both are infinitely better than Final Fight 2 imo; yeah, I know I already bagged on the game enough here, so I'll spare you from the further rambling of mine for that title

I'll elaborate on my initial impressions of the two in the morning (it's 1:05 AM here).

Edited on by WanderFan91

AKA StarBoy91
Ah, irony
Wanderloggery | StarBlog
Massive retro gamer with a heart <3
Big Wander Over Yonder fan
RIP Robin Williams 1951-2014 =(
23 and proud =)
To each their own

AuthorMessage

Geonjaha

2,614. Posted:

I just re-purchased Dragon Warrior III (GBC) off eBay. T'was hard to find considering it was never released in Europe, but it brings back great nostalgia from my childhood. First Dragon Quest/Warrior game I ever played. I never got far at all in it, so I'm going to finally get to play it through. >:3

I make Pixel Art on occasion.

3DS Friend Code: 2277-6645-7215

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

2,615. Posted:

Geonjaha wrote:

I just re-purchased Dragon Warrior III (GBC) off eBay. T'was hard to find considering it was never released in Europe, but it brings back great nostalgia from my childhood. First Dragon Quest/Warrior game I ever played. I never got far at all in it, so I'm going to finally get to play it through. >:3

You'll love it, man. It's probably my favorite Dragon Quest game after Dragon Quest V, and easily one of the best remakes I've seen.

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

RadioShadow

2,616. Posted:

WarioWare: Do It Yourself (Nintendo DS) = £2.50
Viewtiful Joe (GameCube - US) = £2.00
Donkay Konga + Bongos (GameCube - EU) = £6

Not a bad find, if I don't say so myself. Now I have 4 bongos for bongo parties! YAY!

RadioShadow

AuthorMessage

Ryno

2,617. Posted:

Halloween may have been last month but I still got this:
Untitled

To blessed to be stressed.
I miss Japanese games, the good stuff... Games that are imaginative, have good and unique gameplay, a great soundtrack, and replay value.
What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

Nintendo Network ID: Choryzo

AuthorMessage

WaveBoy

2,618. Posted:

@RynoTheSnowMan

Even though i personally hate this game more than frosty the Sony man, i must give you props for sticking with the 'CIB' tradition. ;) How much did you pay for this early 90's overrated Zombie stinker? :P This brings back memories of also playing Barts Nightmare which is probably one of the worst and most frustrating SNES games i've ever rented, THAT and home alone. What was i thinking? Heck, Macculy culkin probably knew better!

Anyways, i haven't retro'd it up in quite a while since the big move. I will be picking up some christmasy' retro treaties' for this upcoming christmas....Hopefully, unless my wallet gets emptied from buying more furniture and Wii U related goodness tee hee.

Edited on by theblackdragon

AuthorMessage

Tasuki

2,619. Posted:

Time to make @CountWavula jealous :P Well now I can celebrate the Christmas season in style

Untitled

I got that retro gem at my local Goodwill for only a buck. I remember watching this with my brother every Christmas when it was on tv. Good stuff. Now I just need a copy of Garfield's Christmas and the He man and She Ra and I will be set. B-)

Edited on by Tasuki

Pushsquare moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

AuthorMessage

WaveBoy

2,620. Posted:

Tasuki wrote:

Time to make @CountWavula jealous :P Well now I can celebrate the Christmas season in style

Untitled

I got that retro gem at my local Goodwill for only a buck. I remember watching this with my brother every Christmas when it was on tv. Good stuff. Now I just need a copy of Garfield's Christmas and the He man and She Ra and I will be set. B-)

Haha. I have 2 copies of that, but unfortunately i payed nearly 30x that. :P BTW, i was trying to score Garfield's christmas off amazon and it's going for quite the penny. Garfield: Holiday Celebration which has both the christmas and halloween special is going for $164 brand new off amazon.ca, with a used copy going for $39.99. :P I opted for this instead, along with 6 other christmas DVD's!
Untitled
Bump 'n the night was a fantastic stop motion show that debuted in the early-mid 90's, can't wait to revisit this zany series!